The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

2 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

again Cliff Ronning put up 197 points in Junior and never exceeded 29 goals in any year. and he was an exceptional skater.

He did it in an era when hooking and holding was the norm.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Björnfot is my favourite player at #40.

I like him more than Lassi Thomson and Kaeden Korczak.

Not sold on the forwards which might be available at #40.

Did a lot of research on the forwards who might be available at #40 but could not found a player I really like.

I like Samuel Poulin a lot.

Very promising: he is a sniper with a booming shot, has good playmaking skills, already an NHL frame.

Unfortunately he will not be there at #40 on draft day.

He will go 1st round, most likely.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

They take Seider!

And they should be taking a defenseman. If you look at our D right now it’s made up of 

QH - our only first round pick dman

AE- 3rd rounder 

CT- FA

TS- FA

BH - 5th rounder

AB - 5th rounder

while draft position doesn’t always mean success, there is clearly a correlation here between our awful defense and the fact we haven’t made much of an effort to draft in the early rounds on D.

Draisaitl on Seider:

"He plays like a 35-year-old, almost," said Draisaitl, teammates with Seider at the World Championship. "He's so calm and so collected. It's pretty fun to watch. Hopefully he keeps developing the way that we think he will and you know he's going to be a special player.

NHL director of European scouting, Goran Stubb on Seider:

"Seider is a powerful player with very good overall skills," said NHL director of European Scouting Goran Stubb. "Strong, mature, skilled and a solid two-way player. Effective in all situations. Good hockey sense and plays an effective simple game."

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

14 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I would think long and hard about trading Gaudette for whoever JB/Brackett think is better between Soderstrom or Seider. In the end I think I would probably do it considering team needs.

I really like your thinking.

Gaudette most likely would not fetch a 1st round pick.

• Wat 1

18 hours ago, Whorvat said:

I'd love to get another 1st in any year, regardless of what point of any build we're in.. not at the cost of Gaudette though.

Why would Gaudette get us a first? He hasn`t done anything yet and is 22, if I`m not mistaken. If someone is offering a 1st for him I think that is a quick deal.

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Seider is projected at 20-25 on most lists I have seen, lists from as late as April, the most recent list is Button's list that he did like a week ago and that has him going 25. Nobody but Canuck fans have Seider at 10. All the mocks I see had Petey going as late as 12. And clearly Benning knew more because dropping below the Vegas pick was too risky for him. So it's not really a Pettersson situation. He only seems off the board cause so many of us wanted Vilardi or Glass. 

Then we go into the logistics of Petey's weight. There was talk at the draft that if he were 10-15 pounds heavier he'd have likely been a consensus top 5 pick or even 1st overall. Seider is very likely at or near his NHL playing weight and still nearly none of the experts have him in the late teens let alone around 10. I just don't see the Seider/Petey comparison holding much weight. Is he under scouted? Maybe, but to the point where we should take him 10-15 spots ahead of where he is expected to go? I dunno about that. Even if management thinks he's better than anything we could get at 10 they should still trade down to get him instead of drafting him at 10.

hockeyprospects have him not at #10 but at #11.

https://www.hockeyprospect.com/2019-nhl-draft-rankings/

To be honest:

I don't care about Craig Button's mock draft.

I don't care about Craig Button's latest nhl draft ranking.

I wanna a 1 on 1 with Craig so badly and would like to ask him:

Craig: would you please let me know your reasoning having Broberg at #10 and Seider at #26?

Pretty curious what his answer would be.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, shayster007 said:

I have been on the Seider train all year, but he is by zero means a no brainer at 10. At 10 he would 100% be a reach at this point, he could realistically go anywhere from 12-25. I think that this last tourney has really opened people eyes to his skill set, but it is a very small sample size. I have said all year I want him, but I would likely be disappointed if we took him at 10. With the quality of forwards that are projected to be available and our dire need for some scoring in our top 6, we can't afford to not go BPA.

If the scouting team truly believes he is BPA, great, a couple buddies will owe me a beer. But I realistically only see us picking him if we somehow can swing a 2nd first round pick in the late teens.

If you put your shoes into a GM of an NHL franchise consider the cost for acquiring a RHD. Here u go:

Calgary acquired Hamonic from New York for a 2018 first round pick, a 2018 second round pick and either a second round pick in 2019 or 2020. Along with Hamonic, the Islanders also sent a fourth round selection in 2019 or 2020.

Wouldn't it be much better to draft a RHD and add a top six winger to the team in free agency or in a trade?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

To be honest:

Craig: would you please let me know your reasoning having Broberg at #10 and Seider at #26?

And that ranking was well before his recent coming out party at the worlds were he (rightly) got some accolades and media attention.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, groovy said:

Why would Gaudette get us a first? He hasn`t done anything yet and is 22, if I`m not mistaken. If someone is offering a 1st for him I think that is a quick deal.

Really glad you aren't running the Canucks

• Upvote 4

45 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

To be honest:

That was in February, which is why I never brought it up. It has Caufield in the mid 20s. Lol. 

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

Cause he wouldn’t trade a 22 year old that has done nothing in the NHL for a 1st rounder? Gaudette is the most overrated player in the organization. 

I'd say he's more unknown han anything. He has a decent ceiling but it's so hard to say if he can adjust to the NHL size and speed. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, cyoung said:

I'd say he's more unknown han anything. He has a decent ceiling but it's so hard to say if he can adjust to the NHL size and speed. 

All kids are unknown. Gaudette is a two way center that is bad at faceoffs and gets nearly 60% ozone starts. Likely cause he's not quite trusted defensively. And even with his 60% ozone starts his numbers are garbage. As a soon to be 23 year old that's not even good. If somebody offers you a 1st rounder for a 23 year old (in October) that has 12 points in 61 games you would be a fool not to take it. Maybe a 26-31 pick you say no, but even then I'd very likely take that pick over Gaudette.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

CDC will think he's declining already. In 4 years he'll be playing like a 39 year old. No way we waste a top 10 pick on him :frantic:

In 4 years when hes 22 and over the hill, half of these people will want to trade him for another mid round 1st

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Björnfot is my favourite player at #40.

I like him more than Lassi Thomson and Kaeden Korczak.

Not sold on the forwards which might be available at #40.

Did a lot of research on the forwards who might be available at #40 but could not found a player I really like.

I like Samuel Poulin a lot.

Very promising: he is a sniper with a booming shot, has good playmaking skills, already an NHL frame.

Unfortunately he will not be there at #40 on draft day.

He will go 1st round, most likely.

I'd be ecstatic if we could land him at 40, but like most, I don't expect him to be available to us in the 2nd round. But you never know I guess?

Does anyone else have concerns about Seider's injuries? He looks like he could become an amazing Dman, the size, speed, smarts, plays physical, great defensively, and he's a right shot. Sounds perfect.  I hope he doesn't block a lot of shots he doesn't need to (Tanev). I think he's smarter than that though.

Lots of real good forwards in the Top 10 though. They could go with Boldy or Krebs with the 1st and then take Bjornfot or Thomson with the 2nd. Or they could take Seider with the 1st and then Dorofeyev, Grewe or Hoglander with the 2nd. I'd be happy with both scenarios.

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

All kids are unknown. Gaudette is a two way center that is bad at faceoffs and gets nearly 60% ozone starts. Likely cause he's not quite trusted defensively. And even with his 60% ozone starts his numbers are garbage. As a soon to be 23 year old that's not even good. If somebody offers you a 1st rounder for a 23 year old (in October) that has 12 points in 61 games you would be a fool not to take it. Maybe a 26-31 pick you say no, but even then I'd very likely take that pick over Gaudette.

It was his first year pro, you need to take it down a notch haha. Saw a lot of good things from him, he needs to have a good off season and have some time to adjust the little things in his game. His development trajectory has been fantastic and I don't see him topping out yet at all. Patience.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1