The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

1 minute ago, Kootenay Gold said:

This goes back over 40 years ago.

When I was involved in minor hockey; if you were to ask the kids in Mighty Mites, Mites, and Atoms what position they would like to play; most would have picked a forward position over Defence or goalie.

I doubt if it's changed any. What energetic young lad wants to play defence when he could go on the attack?

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

And? What was he doing the other 3-4 years of his life. Boeser was a first year pro once and didn't play that bad. But hey, Gaudette is immune to criticism and is god's gift to hockey.

Not every player is the same and develops differently, it's pretty sad that that needs to be explained to you.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, appleboy said:

He did it in an era when hooking and holding was the norm.

He also did it on a team that could compensate with size around him. and Ronning was a better than average player,Junior scoring doesn't always translate into scoring in the NHL no matter what size you are however it isnt an advantage to be 5'7

Edited by mikeyman109
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jptony604 said:

It’s a completely different game now since The 90’s. If Ronning was playing now I believe he would have been a much more successful player. 

again its not a completely different game... it is different, but not by much especially once the playoffs start. Ronning was exceptional in more ways than scoring. He was a great shutdown center on Gilmour in 94. His skating was much better than most his size and he wasnt hooked and tackled much because he was more than shifty. I watched him in Junior and once he became a Canuck... a lot of games. NHL goalies are a lot better than Junior goalies. and from  what I have seen and heard he (Caulfield) isnt fast by any means. He will get picked in the top 25. I just hope it isn't at 10

can you imagine what Bure could have done with today's rules?

Edited by mikeyman109
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, theo5789 said:

We hope Hughes can become a Karlsson type player, but I wouldn't say we have a player like him yet. EK does need a solid defensive dman partnering him, but he doesn't log around 25 mins a night because he cants defend at all. You also don't get trusted for nearly 2 mins on average of PK time a night if you can't defend. Sure he gets beat every so often, but that happens to best when they are facing the top competition. His high level possession game in the offensive side contributes to not needing to defend nearly as much. I'm not saying he's a Nicklas Lidstrom type dman, but I think his defending is overly criticized.

We have never added an EK level player before. We have tried to add subpar offensive players in hopes that they flourish. This is very different.

I guess it depends on your definition of contending. We have clearly seen that we don't need to be at the top of the standings in the regular season (Tampa), but we need to make the playoffs to even have a shot. We were fighting well into the year for a wildcard spot and adding a player of EK calibre should only push us over that hump. It might take a couple more years to have the full strength of the team, but EK should help us get into the playoffs at the very least and he's a playoff performer.

Getting players at the start of their career is nice and all, but sometimes they don't pan out or they will be expensive to acquire. We have a top end player that can be had for free other than cap space and a roster space. We keep our assets that can slowly be transitioned in helping relieve the cap situation if there becomes one in the future.

I disagree that Karlsson pushes us over the hump in contending for a cup. Making the playoffs is everyone's goal but unless we are going to win it all adding Karlsson just puts the rebuild on hold ala Edmonton.  Thankfully he is headed to Tampa so we wont have to argue on it.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

I disagree that Karlsson pushes us over the hump in contending for a cup. Making the playoffs is everyone's goal but unless we are going to win it all adding Karlsson just puts the rebuild on hold ala Edmonton.  Thankfully he is headed to Tampa so we wont have to argue on it.

With what cap space?

41 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

How exactly does adding Karlsson put the rebuild on hold? We literally would not be giving up any assets for so we continue to build for the future while helping the now immensely (which in turn helps with development of our current young players). I never said Karlsson pushes us over the hump in contending for a Cup, but he likely puts us into the playoffs and anything can happen there. Plus EK has demonstrated he's a playoff performer so he would indeed help us in any playoff push.

Edmonton has never found their missing dmen they needed and overloaded up front. This would have no resemblance to how Edmonton is run. If anything Edmonton's been rebuilding for over a decade now and looks like they still currently are.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

How exactly does adding Karlsson put the rebuild on hold? We literally would not be giving up any assets for so we continue to build for the future while helping the now immensely (which in turn helps with development of our current young players). I never said Karlsson pushes us over the hump in contending for a Cup, but he likely puts us into the playoffs and anything can happen there. Plus EK has demonstrated he's a playoff performer so he would indeed help us in any playoff push.

Edmonton has never found their missing dmen they needed and overloaded up front. This would have no resemblance to how Edmonton is run. If anything Edmonton's been rebuilding for over a decade now and looks like they still currently are.

EKs' best year as playoff performer was two years ago and in this current playoffs he struggled defensively (perhaps all the injuries are starting to affect his play ??); I would assume the posters point, is with the still developing core, now would not be the time to use the cap space the Canucks have.  Cap space can disappear quickly especially if JB hits on another draft pick(s); currently Colorado is having to deal with the cap because of their FA's and more so because of their more talented RFA's.  As stated before if he signs a cap friendly deal and term why not because he would PERHAPS improve the Canucks chances of making the playoffs... 

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

EKs' best year as playoff performerwas two years ago and in this current playoffs he struggled defensively (perhaps all the injuries are starting to affect his play ??); I would assume the posters point is with the still developing core now would not be the time to use the cap we have.  Cap space can disappear quickly especially if JB hits on another draft pick(s); currently Colorado is having to deal with the cap because of their FA's and more so because of their more talented RFA's.  As stated before if he signs a cap friendly deal and term why not because he would PERHAPS improve the Canucks chances of making the playoffs... 

Injuries have indeed affected his play and he hasn't been given time to focus on recovery. San Jose was pressured to utilize him to his limits after what they had given up and if he doesn't re-sign, which is looking likely. I get the injury concern and if there wasn't this concern, then he would probably command 13 million a season as a UFA.

Now with that said, EK wasn't far off 2 years ago compared to this year. The big difference is that he was the go-to guy with Ottawa so got loaded with minutes. EK was also playing hurt in that playoffs, but just goes to show the warrior that he is. EK had Methot to take care of the defensive side and allowed him to focus on the offense (Edler has been his partner before internationally and would provide a solid compliment to EK's game). Despite his injuries this year, he put up only 2 points less than what he did two years ago. I'm not as concerned about the injury issue as he would be a long term investment and the proper time will be put in to get him healthier (eg managing his minutes/giving him more maintenance days for the first season or two, which also keeps him fresher should we make the playoffs).

As for cap space, I get the concern here as well. Top end players will get paid top end dollars. We have a bunch of cap coming off the books in 3 or 4 years from depth guys (signed for developmental purposes) that can be replaced with cheaper depth once the top end guys are established. If we have an abundance of quality players, then it just puts us in a position of strength to trade from to either re-stock the shelves or fill holes. I'm also of the opinion that RFAs should be signing to RFA contracts and Benning has done a great job so far with RFA signings, so we will see how he handles the Boeser signing. I don't see their being a cap crunch unless EK suddenly drops to being a 20 point bottom pairing dman which I also don't see happening.

Colorado has like 37 million in cap space and while they do have to re-sign Rantanen, I'm not sure where their cap issues are unless they have an internal cap that eats into that space.

Having EK will certainly increase our chances of making the playoffs far more than not having him. Getting a guy like him without any assets cost is a major plus. What exactly would be a cap friendly deal? Term is really not negotiable as he will be getting max term.

Peyton Krebs is probably the realistic dream pick at #10 for me. Krebs, Zegras, or Boldy.

Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Krebs, Madden, Gaudette. That would be a nice forward core group.

Use Hutton/Virtanen/Sutter to gain extra picks and use them on D-men along with pick #40.

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Above average is fine when your built like Bo Horvat.  Cauflied is 160lbs and 5'7.  He needs to be an excellent skater IMO.  

Above average is fine if you also have a low centre of gravity, amazing agility with the ability to find pockets in coverage.  > See Johnny Gaudreau...

Then add a shot, with the sleight of hand to get it off, or grab an angle to do so, an average NHL player feints as it whiffs past them. With velocity and accuracy. 

47 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Injuries have indeed affected his play and he hasn't been given time to focus on recovery. San Jose was pressured to utilize him to his limits after what they had given up and if he doesn't re-sign, which is looking likely. I get the injury concern and if there wasn't this concern, then he would probably command 13 million a season as a UFA.

Now with that said, EK wasn't far off 2 years ago compared to this year. The big difference is that he was the go-to guy with Ottawa so got loaded with minutes. EK was also playing hurt in that playoffs, but just goes to show the warrior that he is. EK had Methot to take care of the defensive side and allowed him to focus on the offense (Edler has been his partner before internationally and would provide a solid compliment to EK's game). Despite his injuries this year, he put up only 2 points less than what he did two years ago. I'm not as concerned about the injury issue as he would be a long term investment and the proper time will be put in to get him healthier (eg managing his minutes/giving him more maintenance days for the first season or two, which also keeps him fresher should we make the playoffs).

As for cap space, I get the concern here as well. Top end players will get paid top end dollars. We have a bunch of cap coming off the books in 3 or 4 years from depth guys (signed for developmental purposes) that can be replaced with cheaper depth once the top end guys are established. If we have an abundance of quality players, then it just puts us in a position of strength to trade from to either re-stock the shelves or fill holes. I'm also of the opinion that RFAs should be signing to RFA contracts and Benning has done a great job so far with RFA signings, so we will see how he handles the Boeser signing. I don't see their being a cap crunch unless EK suddenly drops to being a 20 point bottom pairing dman which I also don't see happening.

Colorado has like 37 million in cap space and while they do have to re-sign Rantanen, I'm not sure where their cap issues are unless they have an internal cap that eats into that space.

Having EK will certainly increase our chances of making the playoffs far more than not having him. Getting a guy like him without any assets cost is a major plus. What exactly would be a cap friendly deal? Term is really not negotiable as he will be getting max term.

Good points and I did state he will PERHAPS increase our chances of making the playoffs.  I don't have a figure in mind but EK seems to want a max contract with term based on rumours because if he wanted to win why not sign with the Sharks or Lightning.   If the Canucks decides to go for a big name FA(s) then all of this is moot but base on my limited knowldge the core is still a year or two from competing and next years FA's seems to offer more.

As for Colorado this year they have (just important Players, in my opinion):  Ratanen, Compher, Kerfoot and Zadorov; and as per the internet only 13/23 under contract for next year but 20/23 are under control because 7 are RFA's.  Next year: Nieto, Soderberg, Jost, Barrie and Girrard.  Year after next:  Landeskog, Makar and Grubauer.  My mistake, was I should had said stated STARTING THIS YEAR Colorado will be having some important decisions because of the cap.  I was not just focusing on this year but this year and on for them.  

Edited by ShawnAntoski

21 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Good points and I did state he will PERHAPS increase our chances of making the playoffs.  I don't have a figure in mind but EK seems to want a max contract with term based on rumours because if he wanted to win why not sign with the Sharks or Lightning.   If the Canucks decides to go for a big name FA(s) then all of this is moot but base on my limited knowldge the core is still a year or two from competing and next years FA's seems to offer more.

As for Colorado this year they have (just important Players, in my opinion):  Ratanen, Compher, Kerfoot and Zadorov; and as per the internet only 13/23 under contract for next year but 20/23 are under control because 7 are RFA's.  Next year: Nieto, Soderberg, Jost, Barrie and Girrard.  Year after next:  Landeskog, Makar and Grubauer.  My mistake, was I should had said stated STARTING THIS YEAR Colorado will be having some important decisions because of the cap.  I was not just focusing on this year but this year and on for them.  

Max term yes, but I doubt he's getting max dollars or looking for that. He's going to get around Doughty dollars so I'm thinking 11 million a season. He would have to take less to sign with San Jose or Tampa. He was with San Jose and didn't win. He needs to consider where he wants to settle down as well as look as a competing team which the Canucks could be in the near future. Our core is a year or two away with status quo and minor upgrades, but would likely be in a much better position with the acquisition of EK. We can't bank on next year's group and the majority likely won't make it to that point.

Colorado's saving grace is MacKinnon being signed to probably the best deal league-wide. If they can get their RFAs in line with MacKinnon then they are fine. They will have some decisions to make, but it's because they're a good team getting better. We want to be in that position. Rantanen of that group is really the big dollar guy, the rest should/could be had for reasonable contracts unless they explode in production.

15 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Max term yes, but I doubt he's getting max dollars or looking for that. He's going to get around Doughty dollars so I'm thinking 11 million a season. He would have to take less to sign with San Jose or Tampa. He was with San Jose and didn't win. He needs to consider where he wants to settle down as well as look as a competing team which the Canucks could be in the near future. Our core is a year or two away with status quo and minor upgrades, but would likely be in a much better position with the acquisition of EK. We can't bank on next year's group and the majority likely won't make it to that point.

Colorado's saving grace is MacKinnon being signed to probably the best deal league-wide. If they can get their RFAs in line with MacKinnon then they are fine. They will have some decisions to make, but it's because they're a good team getting better. We want to be in that position. Rantanen of that group is really the big dollar guy, the rest should/could be had for reasonable contracts unless they explode in production.

Good points and that McKinnon deal is a steal for them.  I guess we will just have to wait and see.  Can't wait for the draft, free agency and next season to start...

• Cheers 1

On 5/27/2019 at 4:59 AM, Odd. said:

Would anyone be pissed if we took Lavoie at 10? I wouldn't. Blake Wheeler potential

Blake Wheeler is in my eyes one of the best 2 way forwards in the league.

Lavoie will never skate like Wheeler,

Lavoie will never play Wheeler's 2 way game.

Lavoie will never make plays in the o-zone like Wheeler.

Lavoie will never fight like Wheeler.

Did you see the Wheeler/Malkin fight?

Edited by Wolfgang Durst