The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

6 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

as for the Gaudette discussion which is going on for a while here.

Travis Green in his season ending press conference about Gaudette's areas in which he needs to improve:

- skating

- shot

- strength

What I really don't get is why those areas haven't been adressed by Gaudette or his NCAA team much earlier. He was drafted by the Canucks in 2015. Now we write the year 2019 - that's 4 years in which Gaudette had the opportunity to work on things like strength, skating, shot. Once he got drafted the Canucks should have made sure that the player puts in the necessary effort to improve in the areas he has to in order to become an NHL regular. Not sure if the Canucks monitored his development close enough.

Obviously he should be further down the development road

Those are common areas where most NHLers need to improve upon. An NHL center is a tough position to play.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Hmm, don`t agree. No way Dach falls to #10, and Caufield at #5? Well, if we get Dach, then there`s definitely reason to celebrate at VAN`s draft.

Not a fan of Pronman's rankings, they always seem to be way off. Last year he had Bokk before Tkachuk, Ruslan Iskhakov before Bouchard + Dobson, and 

Semyon Der-Arguchintsev before Joel Farabee. :picard:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

I didn't realize that Travis Konecny from Philly is Bo's cousin. Would be awesome if we could get him in a trade and play him on the second line with Bo and Pearson 

Unknown-3.jpeg.e3a5f5b87cdf5fefcc1d8d7b52040023.jpeg

Was this picture of Bo and Konecny taken when Travis was 12?  

9 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Caufield fared just fine in international tourneys.  Look at all the goals he scored in the WJCU 18's the last two years.  Including against Europeans.

18 goals in 14 games against most of the worlds best in his age class.  I believe its the most goals ever in that tourney?

8 goals in 6 games in the U17's as a 16 year old?

And he is far from slow...

He’s an average skater at best. He is a terrific scorer, but he’s small. Look at the nhl playoffs, small guys who are shifty and fast have trouble, we don’t need a one dimensional player who can’t contribute if not scoring and is not mobile/fast enough to create space and time and not have size. He’s not a “play driver” he’s a complimentary player with high risk of not being effective at the nhl level given the above. His bust potential is too high relative to his ceiling vis a vis other picks at #10. We cannot afford a bust this draft, and again, his overall game ceiling does not make him standout vs his peers at the same pick. 

Hard Pass

Edited by 18W-40C-6W
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Trying to envision who would look best on Pettersson`s wing in a year or two.

1. Dach - Big C/RWer with all of the tools would be perfect. I don`t think he falls though, possibly the 3rd best player in the Draft.

2. Cozens - Reminds me of Dach actually. Big C/RWer who goes to the net, has a great shot, smart, etc.

3. Zegras - Super skilled and smart/creative. Possibly the best hands in the Draft. 

4. Lavoie - He can also take faceoffs, has size, a good shot and he can skate. Could become a dominant player. 

5. Krebs - Great shot, smart, good skater. I could see him having chemistry with Pettersson.  

6. Boldy - Smart player, good playmaker and has decent size. He`s only going to get bigger, hopefully he also gets faster.

Maybe Nots:

Podkolzin - Has all of the tools to become a great NHLer, but, the Russian thing scares me. This is an important pick that can`t be wasted. 

Newhook - Reminds me a bit of Krebs, but not as good as Krebs. 

Caufield - He`s too small to play on a smallish line, IMO.

Kaliyev - Not interested, because I don`t think he`s a very good skater. Heck of a shot though.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Hobey baker winner doesn’t project as only a third Line centre. He has more talent than that, it’s simply where “he’s slotted in because of our young depth”.  The two names you mentioned Boeser and Pastrnak are not reflective of most late first rounders. Most don’t even make the NHL. As a result, even if he’s at worst a third line center with hands and a competitive fire we’re better off as we have a solid NHLer coming for certain. Ps Ryan Kesler was only supposed to be a shutdown Third line center as well. Would you trade Guadette for Gaunce? Because finding a Gaunce at 20-30 is a lot higher probability than finding a Boeser or Pastrnak 

Very well said

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Hobey baker winner doesn’t project as only a third Line centre. He has more talent than that, it’s simply where “he’s slotted in because of our young depth”.  The two names you mentioned Boeser and Pastrnak are not reflective of most late first rounders. Most don’t even make the NHL. As a result, even if he’s at worst a third line center with hands and a competitive fire we’re better off as we have a solid NHLer coming for certain. Ps Ryan Kesler was only supposed to be a shutdown Third line center as well. Would you trade Guadette for Gaunce? Because finding a Gaunce at 20-30 is a lot higher probability than finding a Boeser or Pastrnak 

To be fair, there have been good players falling to the end of the first round lately ie. Veleno and Tolvanen the last two years. Both seemed like no brainer picks that late, not sure why they dropped. 

7 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Jeff Paterson interviewing Jim at the Combine:

Q: I know you held organizational scouting meetings prior to the combine. The team released a short video that took us inside that meeting room. How would you characterize what went on behind closed doors this year? Are you all on the same page as a scouting staff or are their dissenting views in those discussions?

A: We’re in a good place. Those are our amateur meetings. We’re talking about trying to figure out the players. There is always discussion on each player and on some players there is heated discussion. We’re not always going to get along on all the players. But as a group, we have a tight group. Those guys know the types of players I want to draft. ::DWe work together to try to figure out which guy we want to take with that first pick. We work toward creating a good environment that will allow us to draft good players and be successful for a long time.

Boss man Benning. B)

interesting  that Jim seems open to moving the 10th....

Q: What about the next month or so. It’s June 1st on Saturday and three weeks to the draft. Beyond that, it’s free agency. It’s a great time of year for fans. Is this an enjoyable time for a manager knowing that these next four weeks can really give you a sense of what your hockey club is going to look like next season?

A: First of all, we’re really excited to have the draft in Vancouver. It’s going to be a fun time for our fans and the city. This has been a good week so far talking to other general managers and to agents. I think there will be lots of talk between now and the draft. Picking at 10, I feel we’re going to get a really good player, but we’re also going to look to all of our options, too. We want to do what we can to improve our team, but if we hold on to the 10th pick I think we’re going to get a really good player. It’s a fun time of the year. This is when a lot of things get done and it kind of shapes what your team is going to look like for next year.

15 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

I’d be more than happy with a shot at Dach, Krebs or Podkolzin. I’d hate to be the guy having to make that decision though! 

I'd actually love to be that guy. :lol:

He’s an average skater at best. He is a terrific scorer, but he’s small. Look at the nhl playoffs, small guys who are shifty and fast have trouble, we don’t need a one dimensional player who can’t contribute if not scoring and is not mobile/fast enough to create space and time and not have size. He’s not a “play driver” he’s a complimentary player with high risk of not being effective at the nhl level given the above. His bust potential is too high relative to his ceiling vis a vis other picks at #10. We cannot afford a bust this draft, and again, his overall game ceiling does not make him standout vs his peers at the same pick. 

Hard Pass

The benefit with our new, young core is that we already have play-drivers included in it. Horvat, Pettersson, and even Boeser are all players that drive play. Boldy has some of the same kinds of play-driving attributes as those guys, but I mainly see him as a perfect complementary piece for what we already have in place. We even have Hughes on the back end who is fully capable of pushing the play up ice, also making me comfortable with taking a complimentary style of D man like Soderstrom or Heinola. The only problem with those guys is that they're not very big, and I think that size on the back end is one of our biggest needs. I really like Broberg actually. Someone on here made this comparison a while back, but I agree that he is like a less abrasive Ed Jovonovski. 

I'd be fine with us drafting a "complementary" player, but it obviously depends on who the player is. I certainly have my questions and concerns about Caufield. I must admit, he looks like he can be an elite goal scorer one day - but we need to start thinking about adding more size to our top-6 forwards or top-4 D eventually. I'm hoping most for Boldy or Broberg at 10. And I think one of them will be available. I think... :lol:

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs
  • Cheers 2

Interesting bit here from Benning.

A: First of all, we’re really excited to have the draft in Vancouver. It’s going to be a fun time for our fans and the city. This has been a good week so far talking to other general managers and to agents. I think there will be lots of talk between now and the draft. Picking at 10, I feel we’re going to get a really good player, but we’re also going to look to all of our options, too. We want to do what we can to improve our team, but if we hold on to the 10th pick I think we’re going to get a really good player. It’s a fun time of the year. This is when a lot of things get done and it kind of shapes what your team is going to look like for next year.

https://www.tsn.ca/gm-benning-canucks-aim-to-shore-up-defence-in-off-season-1.1313689

That doesnt seem like a certainty he will even pick.

A few things to consider:

a) Trading our pick is rumored every year. BUT, this year its extremely unlikely a player the Canucks have top 3 falls to us like w/ Petey & Hughes.

b) Benning knows he needs to improve this defense. And we dont have alot of assets to get a really good D.

c) how does the draft being in Van effect this. JB's said all year they dont want to trade picks, but now that weve lost the lottery, is it a chance to make a splash at home like NJ & PIT did.

I think trading the pick is a greater possibility this year than years past. But to guess, id say we probably end up making the pick. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

interesting  that Jim seems open to moving the 10th....

Q: What about the next month or so. It’s June 1st on Saturday and three weeks to the draft. Beyond that, it’s free agency. It’s a great time of year for fans. Is this an enjoyable time for a manager knowing that these next four weeks can really give you a sense of what your hockey club is going to look like next season?

Just beat me too it :P

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

https://www.tsn.ca/gm-benning-canucks-aim-to-shore-up-defence-in-off-season-1.1313689

a) Trading our pick is rumored every year. BUT, this year its extremely unlikely a player the Canucks have top 3 falls to us like w/ Petey & Hughes.

b) Benning knows he needs to improve this defense. And we dont have alot of assets to get a really good D.

c) how does the draft being in Van effect this. JB's said all year they dont want to trade picks, but now that weve lost the lottery, is it a chance to make a splash at home like NJ & PIT did.

I think trading the pick is a greater possibility this year than years past. But to guess, id say we probably end up making the pick. 

Yeah chances are nothing gets done, but he's clearly had some conversations with other GMs around it. 

24 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I just hope it's either for moving up to get say Byram or moving to say 12th +/- to get the D he wants anyways + additional assets and not something like moving it for Subban (not that I'm opposed to adding Subban...just not for our 10OA).

• Upvote 1