The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

Newhook would be a pretty popular pick at 10 I think. He's a very underrated and gifted scorer. 

And I love how he's a Boston College commit (just like Boldy). It will be fun to see those two team up over there. 

I think there's a good chance he'll be one of the biggest steals of the draft - and regarded as one of the top NHL-affiliated prospects in a year from now.    

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

I fear Newhook may only be a Mason Raymond 2.0 and not Mathew Barzal that everyone is hoping he is.

Zegras , Dach or Boldy for me. But unfortunately I think they’ll be gone. My Plan B is then take Dman.

Edited by HockeyHarry
  • Upvote 1

The Flyers just got Kevin Hayes for a 5th round pick.....and yet for us Minni wants Boeser for a Zucker trade to work...!

We should have grabbed Hayes ...the Flyers would have had a higher 5th round pick with us....

I just hope Benning doesn't get Zuckered this draft by trading away Hutton and Virtanen for  a Pylon....

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Is Caufield’s skating gonna be grossly overstated like Virtanen’s IQ? :bored: Guess I shouldn’t be surprised. People didn’t think Podkolzin wanted to be in the NHL because he said he wanted to stay in Russia til he was NHL ready.

Caufield is very confident in himself, and even feels he's one of the fastest skaters for his size. I have a feeling he's going to do just fine one day during the NHL regular season, I can see him putting up 30-40 goals. Playoffs is a different beast though, and this is where he might disappear. Podkolzin is so good, fast and gritty. If the interviews with him go well and he's still around at #10, I hope Benning takes a chance on him.

12 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I remember the 2016 Draft, Canucks had the #5. I remember before the lottery, we had a chance at a Top 3 and to get Laine. Boy, did I want Laine. But here we are 3 years later, and Laine is wanting a new contract. Last year he struggled, played lazy, unproductive, disinterested - Fortnite might've had something to do with it too ;) 

I understand that Laine is undecided where he wants to play now. He wants big money, and is apparently thinking about a trade to a team willing to pay him more, or signing an offer sheet with another team, if the Jets don't pay up. He has no loyalty to the Jets and is just out to get rich.

Thank the Hockey Gods we didn't get Laine :)

He played through a back injury all season.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, mll said:

He played through a back injury all season.  

Maybe so, a lot of players play through injuries, but I find it a bit nervy that he's holding the Jets over a barrel like this. He still scored 30 goals in a full season. Not sure how injured he was. I guess it's more of an observation of his character. It really makes me wonder how Benning and his group felt about certain players over the years of the Draft interviews. That Tkachuk interview must've been pretty bad for him to pass lol    

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Maybe so, a lot of players play through injuries, but I find it a bit nervy that he's holding the Jets over a barrel like this. He still scored 30 goals in a full season. Not sure how injured he was. I guess it's more of an observation of his character. It really makes me wonder how Benning and his group felt about certain players over the years of the Draft interviews. That Tkachuk interview must've been pretty bad for him to pass lol    

He scored 21 goals in 24 games (up to end of November) and then only had 9 in the remaining 58 games.  

Benning was interviewed before that 2016 draft and said he felt that one D had the potential to be a D1.  He likely felt that Juolevi was BPA at 5.

I really want Panarin, and I believe he may also want to play here. Apparently he wants to play for a coastal team (near water), with a good Russian community. I know he would be very expensive, but I wonder how expensive. Could Benning manage to sell him on the future (playing with Pettersson and Boeser) and get him for 5 years at $10?

Panarin - Pettersson - Boeser

Newhook - Horvat - Lind

Hopefully Boeser's camp accepts a 5 year deal at around $6, and Edler re-signs for 3 years at around $5.5.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Definitely would take on the 1 year remaining ones but I would rather push our cap ceiling with Panarin or Karlsson. Taking on a Lucic for a second for example limits our ability to make our team better with elite talent.  Now if we strike out completely on those FAs then it may make sense as a backup plan.  

Agree with much of this but believe it is too early to make a big UFA splash. We`re not contenders next year either way. We need to get Brock and Petey signed long term and see where we are at with cap space. I personally think EK is a huge risk given his recent health and the huge cost. Stick to the plan... draft and develop. Obviously some wiggle room if we get close to contending. Until then weaponize any cap space and be creative. We still have quite a ways to go.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I remember the 2016 Draft, Canucks had the #5. I remember before the lottery, we had a chance at a Top 3 and to get Laine. Boy, did I want Laine. But here we are 3 years later, and Laine is wanting a new contract. Last year he struggled, played lazy, unproductive, disinterested - Fortnite might've had something to do with it too ;) 

I understand that Laine is undecided where he wants to play now. He wants big money, and is apparently thinking about a trade to a team willing to pay him more, or signing an offer sheet with another team, if the Jets don't pay up. He has no loyalty to the Jets and is just out to get rich.

Thank the Hockey Gods we didn't get Laine :)

I think we should thank the Hockey Gods that the Nucks didn't end up with Pulujarvi.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And a knee injury too.  With OJ completely healthy and in top condition, we will see a 50 point D man, who moves the puck with his head, hands, and feet.  He's High IQ guy, who is a big body, and can move the puck in a variety of ways.  He's certainly a 20 plus minute per game guy.  

Laine had a back injury.  

47 minutes ago, groovy said:

Agree with much of this but believe it is too early to make a big UFA splash. We`re not contenders next year either way. We need to get Brock and Petey signed long term and see where we are at with cap space. I personally think EK is a huge risk given his recent health and the huge cost. Stick to the plan... draft and develop. Obviously some wiggle room if we get close to contending. Until then weaponize any cap space and be creative. We still have quite a ways to go.

Is there going to be a EK or Panarin available 2 or 3 years down the road? We could easily be contenders (make the playoffs) as soon as next year especially if we sign one of these guys. We could certainly wait a couple more years and grow from within, and then at that point maybe the best UFA out there will be another LE type.

Our guys want to win now and have gotten a taste of success. Bo has been through most of the grueling years and I'm certain he rather take this team to another level sooner than later. The longer we drag this out, we will see guys like Bo (who's a UFA when his deal is up) want to walk because the team isn't being serious about winning (see Tavares).

We can weaponized our cap space by signing one of these guys and giving ourselves a couple more years of growth before the cap is more of an issue. The cap should continue to rise and these guys will be eating up less and less of the cap room as signing similar guys (should they be available) a couple years down the road will only continue to creep up potentially with inflation.

If an EK and/or Panarin actually wants to sign here, it is never too early to do so.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I really want Panarin, and I believe he may also want to play here. Apparently he wants to play for a coastal team (near water), with a good Russian community. I know he would be very expensive, but I wonder how expensive. Could Benning manage to sell him on the future (playing with Pettersson and Boeser) and get him for 5 years at $10?

Panarin - Pettersson - Boeser

Newhook - Horvat - Lind

Hopefully Boeser's camp accepts a 5 year deal at around $6, and Edler re-signs for 3 years at around $5.5.

I think youd have to go 7 years on Panarin to get him away from NYR and FLA.