The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

4 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

This is how I feel about the Swede Dman.

Soderstrom is good, but could likely leave you wanting a lil more.

Broberg can be an absolute gamer, but lacks processing ability, which will frustrate you.

Broberg at 10 is a gamble imo. Hope they take who ever Falls to 10 In top 10.  Newhook I’m happy with as well.  canucks recently released a scouts ranking players  video they talked about a Bus driver and if he’s not driving we’re not going anywhere lol. Newhook I think they were talking about.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, hateleafs said:

I like Hockeyprospect.com   Compared to canucks management draft rankings pretty close last 3 drafts. 

They had Juolevi ranked 6. We took him at 5

Pettersson at  5 we took him at 5

Hughes at 9 we took him 7 th

Also 2015 They had Boeser at 18 we took him 23.

virtanen at 18 we took him 6

This year they have zegras 10 Seider 11

soderstrom 12 York 13 and Newhook at 16

I want Zegras or Caufield at 10 if one of them is available. Their national team coach was raving about them today on the radio. I liked both players before I heard the interview, but now I’m sold. Zegras reminds of Barzal. Caufield reminds me of Debrincat. I know they aren’t physical guys but we need way more skill injections into this line up. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Could very well be Newhook. It will be interesting to see the reaction at Rogers when Benning goes to the mic and announces Newhook, with Boldy still on the table lol I guess we'll find out in a couple of weeks. 

I could very well be wrong, but out of the USA national team guys I like Boldy the least. 

1 minute ago, messier's_elbow said:

I could very well be wrong, but out of the USA national team guys I like Boldy the least. 

I tend to agree. He does have size, good hands and hockey IQ, but I don't think he's as skilled (and maybe not as fast) as Hughes, Turcotte, Zegras, Caufield or York.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

This is how I feel about the Swede Dman.

Soderstrom is good, but could likely leave you wanting a lil more.

Broberg can be an absolute gamer, but lacks processing ability, which will frustrate you.

Btw I have high hopes for Olli Juolevi this coming season. 

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, hateleafs said:

Broberg at 10 is a gamble imo. Hope they take who ever Falls to 10 In top 10.  Newhook I’m happy with as well.  canucks recently released a scouts ranking players  video they talked about a Bus driver and if he’s not driving we’re not going anywhere lol. Newhook I think they were talking about.  

That was Scott Walker saying that.. and he's already working for the Canucks as director of player development. 

Wonder if that was a conversation about someone already in the system in Utica rather than a prospect.

"When he's going we're going..when he's not we're not going" .... 

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

That was Scott Walker saying that.. and he's already working for the Canucks as director of player development. 

Wonder if that was a conversation about someone already in the system in Utica rather than a prospect.

"When he's going we're going..when he's not we're not going" .... 

Interesting. Did not know that was him. 

NEWHOOK

Cam Robinson - Dobber ProspectsMay 15th: "Speed for days and the disregard for safety to use it anywhere. Dangerous hands, good hockey sense and is equally deadly with the pass or the shot. Already a strong defensive player and effective penalty-killer."

Effective penalty killer too? Even after producing 102 points in 53 games, and over a point-a-game at the U18?

I'm actually not sure Newhook is my first choice, but I guess it would depend if Dach Cozens, Zegras and Krebs are taken. I also like York and Seider, but not sure I would want to pass up on Newhook to take the D. Benning has a tough choice to make. Maybe it comes down to - who has the best character? 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

NEWHOOK

Cam Robinson - Dobber ProspectsMay 15th: "Speed for days and the disregard for safety to use it anywhere. Dangerous hands, good hockey sense and is equally deadly with the pass or the shot. Already a strong defensive player and effective penalty-killer."

Effective penalty killer too? Even after producing 102 points in 53 games, and over a point-a-game at the U18?

I'm actually not sure Newhook is my first choice, but I guess it would depend if Dach Cozens, Zegras and Krebs are taken. I also like York and Seider, but not sure I would want to pass up on Newhook to take the D. Benning has a tough choice to make. Maybe it comes down to - who has the best character? 

He's definitelty a high character guy.

11 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Caufield is very confident in himself, and even feels he's one of the fastest skaters for his size. I have a feeling he's going to do just fine one day during the NHL regular season, I can see him putting up 30-40 goals. Playoffs is a different beast though, and this is where he might disappear. Podkolzin is so good, fast and gritty. If the interviews with him go well and he's still around at #10, I hope Benning takes a chance on him.

I have no problem selecting Caufield with the 10th overall pick. I believe people just want to assign a label to him as to why he can't do something. I could say that about a number of other players. Broberg will never be a good player, he has low IQ. Podkolzin is Russian. Zegras played behind Hughes and didn't get good matchups...grossly overated etc. (BTW, I was being sarcastic about all of these).

I have no doubts Caufield will be an elite goal scorer in this league. I think 30 is his floor...playoffs...ok different animal completely but the way he jumps into plays with a quick give and go has me feeling he will be just fine. He's not really the type of player to carry a puck and dance around a defender. He sneaks into those spots so interference won't be a problem for him.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Im coming around more on Broberg.

Partially because I think Benning likes him & will take him if hes available. So part of it is bracing for 'disappointment', I suppose.

But at the same time I think hes a good top 4 D prospect. I dont see a ton of risk b/c his defensive game is really strong, but I also dont see a massive ceiling b/c his offensive game is limited. 

His tools are great, which makes him so intriguing. Maybe he could be a Bouwmeester/Klefbom type #2/3D is kinda my thought.

I'm not sure I agree with this statement from what I've heard about him. Gap control is not that good, offensive ability is limited. His skating speed is tantalizing but you can do the same with a forward like Alex Newhook. We already have one speedy rover on the backend, I'm not sure if pairing him up with a Broberg would be that sound defensively.

42 minutes ago, TGokou said:

I'm not sure I agree with this statement from what I've heard about him. Gap control is not that good, offensive ability is limited. His skating speed is tantalizing but you can do the same with a forward like Alex Newhook. We already have one speedy rover on the backend, I'm not sure if pairing him up with a Broberg would be that sound defensively.

I'm just going off what I've watched. I read some concerns but when I watched him he was a good defender, especially good one on one. Good in his own zone & can move the puck up. I guess I heard low IQ comments & was expecting to see that but he's actual a pretty smart player in the defensive zone.

He rushes the puck, but I wouldn't call him a rover like Hughes. Broberg's strength is skating & defending. Offensive ability is limited as far as projecting him to be an elite player. But he's not worse than average. He's got a decent shot & the wheels to get up in the play. He's just not very creative & it shows especially in his rushes.

6 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I'm just going off what I've watched. I read some concerns but when I watched him he was a good defender, especially good one on one. Good in his own zone & can move the puck up. I guess I heard low IQ comments & was expecting to see that but he's actual a pretty smart player in the defensive zone.

He rushes the puck, but I wouldn't call him a rover like Hughes. Broberg's strength is skating & defending. Offensive ability is limited as far as projecting him to be an elite player. But he's not worse than average. He's got a decent shot & the wheels to get up in the play. He's just not very creative & it shows especially in his rushes.

Tanev 2.0?

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

= Edler with more speed? An elite athlete...

How is his shot?

That new guy on the boards. Argues with everyone but knows a thing or two about hockey. 

So he was comparing Seider to floor Parayko. 

So I started reading and watching everything I can on Seider. 

I like this kid.  I think we need a kid like Seider on this team sooner or later. Since he's a Dman I think better early. Get him developing.  

I figure Canucks trade down. 

They take Seider or Newhook who ever is available at 15 to 20. 

• Upvote 3