The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

2 hours ago, appleboy said:

Teams don't look at Buttons list and change their mind.  Their list are probably set to go.

Of course NHL GMs don’t look at Buttons list. My point was that real nhl pro hockey minds really really have a different take on the rankings then all the ranking websites and each Nhl GM list will be completely different. Basically anything can happen outside of top 2.

Buttons list IMO is a reflection of how diverse and unpredictable this draft will be. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Alflives said:

I like your list.  I think the draft might fall pretty close to what you suggest. 

I am willing to bet it does not turn out this way Alf. Name your wager.

Ditto

My list

1. Kakko

2. Hughes

3. Byram

4. Dach 

5. Turcotte 

6. Cozens 

7. Zegras

8. Boldy

9. Krebs

10. Newhook

11. Podkolzin

12. Boldy

13. Caulfield 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Well he was underscouted majority of year by mainstream experts / media.

as games in Germany are harder to cover of course.

But:

- Went from young offensively minded d prospect to playing in men’s league and showing as a defence first guy playing his role in the system

- won rookie of the year 

- has physical tools

- scouted more as year went on, 80 scouts at his final game

- showed very well at Men’s WC, showed what he’s all about

- had a strong combine, great personality, English is perfect and he left a strong impression with everyone he met.

ive warmed up to the idea of him being the second best dman in the draft. Even though I’ve only seen highlights and his internationally covered play.

My dmen ranking:

byram

seider

york

harley

broberg

soderstrom

heinola

thanks, now everyones got me interested. I need to go find some video's. The kids built like Ohlund so if he can develop some offence to his game this could be an exciting pick. I also like that we don't have to deal with the CHL/AHL age limit bs. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Zegras is more of a perimeter player than Hughes. 

Doesn’t matter both of them are gunna start out being perimeter players when they get to the NHL. Especially Jack. He’s gotta get a lot stronger if he wants to continue to play the way he plays. Based on skill and ability to make plays I like Zegras a lot. The Canucks need more play and space makers. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1.Hughes

2. Kakko

3. Turcotte

4. Cozens

5. Byram

6. Dach

7. Zegras

8. Broberg

9. Boldy

10. Newhook

Heard Chicago is looking for a centre, Colorado desperately needs scoring. LA sprints to the stage to select Byram, Oilers have been linked to Broberg. That's what I think could happen but it's anyone's guess.

4 hours ago, appleboy said:

Teams don't look at Buttons list and change their mind.  Their list are probably set to go.

As much as I agree with that statement, the reality is that each teams rankings are probably vastly different from one another. That’s how wild this first round is going to be.

I can’t imagine teams had an easy time ranking this years talent and they’ve may still be going back and forth to finalize their rankings. 

The Canucks should have as many as 8 players ranked in some order from 3-10. That’s not going to be easy. Ranking Zegras, Turcotte, Krebs, Boldy, poldkozin, Cozens, Dach, Byram is not an easy task. 

2 hours ago, groovy said:

I am willing to bet it does not turn out this way Alf. Name your wager.

Ditto

My list

1. Kakko

2. Hughes

3. Byram

4. Dach 

5. Turcotte 

6. Cozens 

7. Zegras

8. Boldy

9. Krebs

10. Newhook

11. Podkolzin

12. Boldy

13. Caulfield 

Did you just straight up copy my list mistake and all?

Gotta change it up a bit before you hand copied homework to the teacher bruh. That's day one stuff.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, D-Money said:

Outside of Byram, the D in this draft are a crap-shoot.

From the sounds of things, Benning is making his main goal to fix the defense in the here-and-now, which will likely mean long-term contracts to a couple of guys. So I think it's more likely that he goes with a forward. Less risk, more likely to be NHL-ready sooner, and with the struggles of some of our forward prospects, possibly more of an organizational need.

In my humble opinion, good Defenseman are more expensive to find on the open market than forwards. Especially RHD. This being the case, I believe if there is a potential long term fit at RHD available at our pick, you take him.

I’m not dismissing what Benning has said about his goals for the off season. I just don’t believe that we can’t patch up the Defense on the short term while also eying the long term success of the team. 

In my opinion, teams with long term success are built from the net out. Since we already have our future in net squared away (IMO), that leaves Defence. 

Hughes and Seider would sure be nice pairing together on our blue line for years to come. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

In my humble opinion, good Defenseman are more expensive to find on the open market than forwards. Especially RHD. This being the case, I believe if there is a potential long term fit at RHD available at our pick, you take him.

I’m not dismissing what Benning has said about his goals for the off season. I just don’t believe that we can’t patch up the Defense on the short term while also eying the long term success of the team. 

In my opinion, teams with long term success are built from the net out. Since we already have our future in net squared away (IMO), that leaves Defence. 

Hughes and Seider would sure be nice pairing together on our blue line for years to come. 

Yeah, you could be right. The thing with Seider (and Soderstrom, for that matter), is that they already have been playing against men, and doing well. There is a chance that they could be helping the team as soon as any forward, possibly even next season.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Yeah, you could be right. The thing with Seider (and Soderstrom, for that matter), is that they already have been playing against men, and doing well. There is a chance that they could be helping the team as soon as any forward, possibly even next season.

Seider and Broberg a big boys.  Soderstrom, although also playing against men, is small.  There is an uncertainty how he will adjust to the faster, and heavier game on our ice, especially in the NHL.  Soderstrom reminds me a lot Liljegren and Phillip Larssen.  Guys look great on the big ice, in much inferior leagues, but can't do much in the NHL.  If these smallish D men aren't putting up points, likely they are hurting their team.  

• Upvote 1

So many of you are praising Seider, but honestly, you simply can't be selecting him at 10th OA.  There's just way too much talent in the top part of the 1st round to gamble that Seider will be more than just a good 2-way defenceman. 

If Seider is the guy, GMJB should trade down to around #15 OA or lower.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, appleboy said:

If they are good enough they step right in from junior. 

Not at #10 usually.  I'm not against players from the CHL, but all things being equal between a CHL player and one from Europe of US, I'd always go with Euro or US.  

We saw, with Jake, the decisions that lack of control can lead to.

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, Fanuck said:

1.  Huge, physical & mobile - rare combination for a defender.

2.  Both offensively and defensively aware - rare combination for a defender.

3.  Right handed - less common these days for defenders.

4.  Played a season vs. men - may have sped up development 

5.  Showed very well vs world-class competition recently 

6.  Strong in areas typically difficult to coach and weaker in easily coachable areas

I like this summary.  

Many guys get high on a player. And suddenly they have ''lightning'' speed.  This characterisation is fair, great mobility. He's also a safe & smart pick, because he has displayed both intelligence in his game, and that he can do it at a pro level.

The counter (player) is Broberg. Who has yet to display that maturity in his game. Beats players at his age bracket (see World U18's). But does have that ''it'' factor of elite skating. Speed to rush the puck & pull away from opposition. Which he has displayed.

Do you try and sneak in some extra upside with Broberg?  (Along with some risk...)  

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Not at #10 usually.  I'm not against players from the CHL, but all things being equal between a CHL player and one from Europe of US, I'd always go with Euro or US.  

We saw, with Jake, the decisions that lack of control can lead to.

Always?

Boldy and Dach both have size. Can trade pucks, in tight as well as open ice. Good puck skills! Which Jake never displayed. 

Dach has that size, even more of it, and speed.

I take Dach.  And it has nothing to do with US, Uzhbekistan, Iran, Japan...

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Always?

Boldy and Dach both have size. Can trade pucks, in tight as well as open ice. Good puck skills! Which Jake never displayed. 

Dach has that size, even more of it, and speed.

I take Dach.  And it has nothing to do with US, Uzhbekistan, Iran, Japan...

Always?  If two players are equals in almost every way........I take the non CHL player every time.

• Upvote 1