3. Turcotte

4. Cozens

5. Byram

6. Dach

7. Zegras

8. Broberg

9. Boldy

10. Newhook

Heard Chicago is looking for a centre, Colorado desperately needs scoring. LA sprints to the stage to select Byram, Oilers have been linked to Broberg. That's what I think could happen but it's anyone's guess.

Chicago has Toews and Strome now. Not sure if they are desperate for a center. I think they need to replace Keith pretty soon and Byram would be the perfect replacement in my opinion.

Colorado would then select Turcotte, who appears to be the best forward after Hughes and Kakko. Looking at some of the rankings released recently, I felt that the top 3 would have Hughes, Kakko, and Byram. Then, there doesn't seem to be a strong consensus but Turcotte and Caufield seemed to show up quite a lot in the top 5 so I guess Colorado takes Turcotte and LA takes Caufield. This draft is going to be difficult for the teams picking 6 to say, 12 as the next group of players are very difficult to differentiate, Good news for the Canucks is that teams before them could easily make mistakes so if the Canucks have done a good job of scouting, they could still get a player they wanted at #10.

I personally felt that we should draft a forward in this draft as the next best D after Byram looked fall behind the forwards that would be available. Although I admit that Seider is giving a reason to pause, I think our pick will be on one of Krebs, Podkolzin, Zegras, and Newhook. I somehow get this feeling that Edmonton will draft Seider anyways.

7 minutes ago, khay said:

Chicago has Toews and Strome now. Not sure if they are desperate for a center. I think they need to replace Keith pretty soon and Byram would be the perfect replacement in my opinion.

Colorado would then select Turcotte, who appears to be the best forward after Hughes and Kakko. Looking at some of the rankings released recently, I felt that the top 3 would have Hughes, Kakko, and Byram. Then, there doesn't seem to be a strong consensus but Turcotte and Caufield seemed to show up quite a lot in the top 5 so I guess Colorado takes Turcotte and LA takes Caufield. This draft is going to be difficult for the teams picking 6 to say, 12 as the next group of players are very difficult to differentiate, Good news for the Canucks is that teams before them could easily make mistakes so if the Canucks have done a good job of scouting, they could still get a player they wanted at #10.

I personally felt that we should draft a forward in this draft as the next best D after Byram looked fall behind the forwards that would be available. Although I admit that Seider is giving a reason to pause, I think our pick will be on one of Krebs, Podkolzin, Zegras, and Newhook. I somehow get this feeling that Edmonton will draft Seider anyways.

Toews is 31, and while they do have strome in the system, they arent that deep. When you got barratt as your number one center in the system, you arent that deep.

4 hours ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Doesn’t matter both of them are gunna start out being perimeter players when they get to the NHL. Especially Jack. He’s gotta get a lot stronger if he wants to continue to play the way he plays. Based on skill and ability to make plays I like Zegras a lot. The Canucks need more play and space makers. 

Jack Hughes takes the puck in to traffic though. He attacks the zone & the opposition defense like McDavid with his speed. Zegras doesn't do that he seems to wheel & look for a pass. Zegras is one of the best skaters in the draft, no argument here, but he doesn't try to attack the net like Hughes does.

Jack might have to take the puck out wide more often in the NHL, but he'll still attack when he can. 

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Jack Hughes takes the puck in to traffic though. He attacks the zone & the opposition defense like McDavid with his speed. Zegras doesn't do that he seems to wheel & look for a pass. Zegras is one of the best skaters in the draft, no argument here, but he doesn't try to attack the net like Hughes does.

Jack might have to take the puck out wide more often in the NHL, but he'll still attack when he can. 

There's a reason why Hughes is likely going 1st OA and Zegras isn't. I sure wouldn't shy away from taking him at 10 though.

There's a whole lot of VERY solid options that will be available 4-12'ish but none of them are without flaws. Zegras included. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

So many of you are praising Seider, but honestly, you simply can't be selecting him at 10th OA.  There's just way too much talent in the top part of the 1st round to gamble that Seider will be more than just a good 2-way defenceman. 

If Seider is the guy, GMJB should trade down to around #15 OA or lower.

I agree with this. Yet JB doesn't seem interested in trading up or down. And still the speculation is we like a defenseman at #10. Which leads me to believe JB's guy is Broberg (or maybe Soderstrom).

Would be surprised if they take Seider at #10, not that I don't like him.

35 minutes ago, stawns said:

Always?  If two players are equals in almost every way........I take the non CHL player every time.

Why's that?

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

There's a reason why Hughes is likely going 1st OA and Zegras isn't. I sure wouldn't shy away from taking him at 10 though.

There's a whole lot of VERY solid options that will be available 4-12'ish but none of them are without flaws. Zegras included. 

For sure. 

Personally I like Newhook more than Zegras, just because he's a better goal scorer aswell as the playmaking. More of a dual threat. And seems more willing to go to the net.

Though Zegras has better wheels. One of the fastest skaters in this draft, which I won't take away from him.  

9 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

For sure. 

Personally I like Newhook more than Zegras, just because he's a better goal scorer aswell as the playmaking. More of a dual threat. And seems more willing to go to the net.

Though Zegras has better wheels. One of the fastest skaters in this draft, which I won't take away from him.  

Newhook has less puck skills and hockey sense compared to Zegras IMO (but probably a touch more 'compete' and as you say, more willingness to go to the dirty areas). It's funny, all three are not dissimilar in their tools but Hughes is at 'elite' level, Zegras 'top 6' and Newhook is more 'middle 6' IMO.

And I think some of Newhook's 'willingness' likely has to do with his added size compared to the other two. But neither Zegras or Hughes will stay that small forever and I'd go with skills, IQ and ceiling over size personally.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Newhook has less puck skills and hockey sense compared to Zegras IMO (but probably a touch more 'compete' and as you say, more willingness to go to the dirty areas). It's funny, all three are not dissimilar in their tools but Hughes is at 'elite' level, Zegras 'top 6' and Newhook is more 'middle 6' IMO.

And I think some of Newhook's 'willingness' likely has to do with his added size compared to the other two. But neither Zegras or Hughes will stay that small forever and I'd go with skills, IQ and ceiling over size personally.

Zegras is a bit bigger than Hughes isn't he? I guess he's slight. 

I think Newhook has top 6 potential but I'd agree idk if he has elite potential. I'd also agree Zegras has a higher ceiling but his habits (by which I mean perimeter play) leave me a bit skeptical. In a vaccum Zegras has more upside, but I think Newhook could be a good top 6 player too. And I think Newhook is a pretty smart player.

Id throw Krebs in that group too as far as not being dissimilar in their tools. Between Zegras, Newhook & Krebs they are all about the same size & have some similarities. But all do offer something a little different. Those 3 are an interesting group to compare IMO. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Seannnp said:

Changed? He flipped his entire list. Turcotte, Cozens and Dach outside of the top 10? My head hurts

Cozens and Dach I can see 'around' 10...sure.

Turcotte should be the first forward not named Hughes or Kakko taken. If he's still there at 10 I'm even more giddy than I was last year when Hughes fell in our lap.

• Upvote 4

47 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I agree with this. Yet JB doesn't seem interested in trading up or down. And still the speculation is we like a defenseman at #10. Which leads me to believe JB's guy is Broberg (or maybe Soderstrom).

Why's that?

Because players drafted out of the CHL are NHL or Jr, there's no in between.  A Euro or an American, as long as their rights aren't owned by a CHL team, have the option of going to the AHL.

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thanks, now everyones got me interested. I need to go find some video's. The kids built like Ohlund so if he can develop some offence to his game this could be an exciting pick. I also like that we don't have to deal with the CHL/AHL age limit bs. 

I agree. A huge plus that should not be understated. 

• Cheers 2

34 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Cozens and Dach I can see 'around' 10...sure.

Turcotte should be the first forward not named Hughes or Kakko taken. If he's still there at 10 I'm even more giddy than I was last year when Hughes fell in our lap.

Despite Button's ranking, I can't see Turcotte falling any further than #5/6 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Lack of playing in a competitive league might cause Turcotte to fall a few spots?  

USHL and NCAA competition is very competitive... Not to mention international competition..

2 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Why's that?

JB was quoted by Canadian Press yesterday that because there will be a lot of players that he likes still available after the Canucks pick he might be willing to trade down.

This could mean that he’s leaning towards taking a D Man like Seider that’s rated lower than the tenth spot.

• Cheers 1

I will take a moment to be real

I think it goes like this

Hughes/Kakko 1-2

Byram/Turcotte/Dach 3-5

Cozens/Boldy/Krebs/Zegras 6-10

Forward Wildcards: Newhook*, Podkolzin and Caulfield could go anywhere from 5 to 13 and turn the apple cart upside down

Defensive Wildcards: Broberg, Soderstrom, York, and Seider* could go anywhere from 8 to 18

Newhook and Seider are more fringe top 10

Goalie Wildcard...…………...Spencer Knight...…….13 OA onward

So that is 18 in some order.

Personally, I really like Seider as a RHD 2/3 for the Canucks, and am constantly reminded of how McAvoy was drafted at 14 OA in his draft year. Seider has gained a lot of attention lately, and I wonder exactly where Jim Benning has him ranked?

Benning could trade down to 15 OA and a pretty good player, but it is a risk! Depends on the extra Jimbo is offered.

Oh Yeah, and there is Kaliyev in there somewhere (12 to 18 OA) ?????

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Upvote 2