The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

4 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Zegras is a bit bigger than Hughes isn't he? I guess he's slight. 

I think Newhook has top 6 potential but I'd agree idk if he has elite potential. I'd also agree Zegras has a higher ceiling but his habits (by which I mean perimeter play) leave me a bit skeptical. In a vaccum Zegras has more upside, but I think Newhook could be a good top 6 player too. And I think Newhook is a pretty smart player.

Id throw Krebs in that group too as far as not being dissimilar in their tools. Between Zegras, Newhook & Krebs they are all about the same size & have some similarities. But all do offer something a little different. Those 3 are an interesting group to compare IMO. 

Between the three I would take:

Zegras

Newhook

Krebs 

in that order.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Always?

Boldy and Dach both have size. Can trade pucks, in tight as well as open ice. Good puck skills! Which Jake never displayed. 

Dach has that size, even more of it, and speed.

I take Dach.  And it has nothing to do with US, Uzhbekistan, Iran, Japan...

I want Dach too....followed by Cozens..

But agree with Stawns that if there is two players more or less even in every department, the advantage of having more control of, In which league he plays and has his development, is massive. 

Its really unfortunate for the Canadian kids, as I would love to see more local talents on the Canucks roster. 

57 minutes ago, spook007 said:

I want Dach too....followed by Cozens..

But agree with Stawns that if there is two players more or less even in every department, the advantage of having more control of, In which league he plays and has his development, is massive. 

Its really unfortunate for the Canadian kids, as I would love to see more local talents on the Canucks roster. 

Not that it is not a factor? I agree the NCAA is more mature competition. But I don't believe junior in Europe, the Super Elit for example, is better than the CHL? Its not. They don't automatically go pro. And the Allsvenskan has talent like the CHL. But is largely 18 to 22, with the odd 17 year old. So yes, also more advanced. Where junior is 17 to 20 with the odd 16 year old. I haven't looked in a Cpl years, but the CHL was until recently producing 50%of the NHL's players.  The CHL is probably the worlds best league generally available to an elite 16 year old? 

So its overstated. Horvat played a year in the CHL after being drafted. Allowed him to play in a WJC, a 2knd memorial cup. It did not hurt him a stitch.

Scheifele, IMO as close a comparable as you could find to Dach? Played two years post draft for Barrie before getting his shot. They were criticized because he was ''too good for junior!'' Their reward was still a top line centre.

Sanheim, drafted 17th by memory, but an ''NHL body'' at draft age? Played 2 more years for the Hitmen. Then 2 years in the AHL. His draft plus 5 year he got his shot. Philly was rewarded with a top pairing defender for letting his hockey catch up with the athlete.. But admittedly 1 level below the above mentioned players. Glass played the last 2 years in the WHL. I think he'll jump seamlessly onto Vegas. At worst, by mid next season?

In many, in fact most cases, the AHL is actually too advanced in the years directly after the draft. See Dahlen, a league MVP in a 2knd division European league who struggled in Utica.   

I'm not passing on Dach, because Boldy can play in the NCAA. He's faster, he's bigger, he has more upside IMO.

Junior is just fine thanks!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

13 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Did you just straight up copy my list mistake and all?

Gotta change it up a bit before you hand copied homework to the teacher bruh. That's day one stuff.

Ohhh BooBoo, not again. How dare they? Here`s some marshmallows to stick in your piggy bank. That always makes you feel better.

7 hours ago, Schmautzie said:

JB was quoted by Canadian Press yesterday that because there will be a lot of players that he likes still available after the Canucks pick he might be willing to trade down.

This could mean that he’s leaning towards taking a D Man like Seider that’s rated lower than the tenth spot.

Really? I completely missed that.

If that's the case then yeah I wouldn't be surprised. I imagine alot of teams like him/find him intriguing, but I doubt a team would be willing to take him top 10.

I can't see him getting to the 20's. Whichever team is sitting inbetween 10-20 that needs a big two-way RHD is going to be very pleased to take him. 

I don't feel as sure about him as Broberg/Soderstrom/York (which doesn't mean anything necessarily). But if there was an option to trade down, add asset(s), and take him I wouldn't hate it. 

5 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Between the three I would take:

Zegras

Newhook

Krebs 

in that order.

I'd have it 

Newhook

Zegras/Krebs

Not sure which order for the latter, a month ago I would've said Krebs ahead of Zegras, but I'm reconsidering my list. 

22 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Really? I completely missed that.

If that's the case then yeah I wouldn't be surprised. I imagine alot of teams like him/find him intriguing, but I doubt a team would be willing to take him top 10.

I can't see him getting to the 20's. Whichever team is sitting inbetween 10-20 that needs a big two-way RHD is going to be very pleased to take him. 

I don't feel as sure about him as Broberg/Soderstrom/York (which doesn't mean anything necessarily). But if there was an option to trade down, add asset(s), and take him I wouldn't hate it. 

I'd have it 

Newhook

Zegras/Krebs

Not sure which order for the latter, a month ago I would've said Krebs ahead of Zegras, but I'm reconsidering my list. 

Krebs is different. Displays, as much as anyone in the draft, the willingness to battle through checks, get his nose dirty doing it. Defensively as well. He does not undress guys in the same manor, shaking guys at will? But still manages to make plays with guys hanging on him. Matthew Tkachuk does that. O'Reilly does that. He's smaller, but faster than both of them. I am starting to take that more seriously? I was not high on Tkachuk and O Reilly when they were drafted. The ability to make plays in tight spaces. Trying to learn from my mistakes.

Newhook and Zegras do break ankles, create open ice for themselves. Constantly moving, creating. Zegras at a more advanced level.  I think the fastest of the three?

I have Zegras, Krebs, then Newhook placement wise. But all excite me!

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2knd round;

Forwards;

> Poulin might still be available?  Big man with hands, even some wheels.

> Nikolayev is way up some charts, Button top 20? 3rd round on others. MHL fundamental 2 way centre, with some skills too.

> Grewe has a huge buzz about him.

> Afanasyev in the USHL?

> Medicine Hat team mate of Jett Woo, rookie phenom Brayden Tracey. Tracey had 10 WHL points more as a rookie than Jake in his draft year, a solid 36 goals as well!

D

> Bjornfot! Pre season top 10? I find his speed intoxicating!

> Ryan Johnson, Univ of Minnesota recruit

> From my old home Shewood Park, fundamentally excellent but unspectacular Matthew Robertson.

My cousin has Oil Kings seats, raves about Robertson.  LOL, wants him for the Oilers...

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Not that it is not a factor? I agree the NCAA is more mature competition. But I don't believe junior in Europe, the Super Elit for example, is better than the CHL? Its not. They don't automatically go pro. And the Allsvenskan has talent like the CHL. But is largely 18 to 22, with the odd 17 year old. So yes, also more advanced. Where junior is 17 to 20 with the odd 16 year old. I haven't looked in a Cpl years, but the CHL was until recently producing 50%of the NHL's players.  The CHL is probably the worlds best league generally available to an elite 16 year old? 

So its overstated. Horvat played a year in the CHL after being drafted. Allowed him to play in a WJC, a 2knd memorial cup. It did not hurt him a stitch.

Scheifele, IMO as close a comparable as you could find to Dach? Played two years post draft for Barrie before getting his shot. They were criticized because he was ''too good for junior!'' Their reward was still a top line centre.

Sanheim, drafted 17th by memory, but an ''NHL body'' at draft age? Played 2 more years for the Hitmen. Then 2 years in the AHL. His draft plus 5 year he got his shot. Philly was rewarded with a top pairing defender for letting his hockey catch up with the athlete.. But admittedly 1 level below the above mentioned players. Glass played the last 2 years in the WHL. I think he'll jump seamlessly onto Vegas. At worst, by mid next season?

In many, in fact most cases, the AHL is actually too advanced in the years directly after the draft. See Dahlen, a league MVP in a 2knd division European league who struggled in Utica.   

I'm not passing on Dach, because Boldy can play in the NCAA. He's faster, he's bigger, he has more upside IMO.

Junior is just fine thanks!

Nice answer Surfer, thanks. 

I still want Dach too,... and maybe you’re right... 

I was not referring to having players develop in All Svenskan, Liga 1 or German league. However Being able to play in AHL against men. 

The fact you can put a player into the AHL if he becomes too dominant amongst his fellow juniors and he is physically mature, is surely worth consideration.

A player like Jake could maybe have benefited from playing in AHL prior to NHL?

Edited by spook007
  • Upvote 1

3rd round, I have a thing for lil speedball Kark Henriksson?

Only 5'9'', and I;m not convinced he's all out fast. Thing is?  I dont think he ever stops skating, or tires out.  He definitely out skates guys, pops up with the puck & pulls away from players late in shifts.  Relentless! Crazy athletecism in some of the combine events.

2 minutes ago, spook007 said:

I still want Dach too,... and maybe you’re right Surfer... 

I was not referring to having players develop in All Svenskan, Liga 1 or German league. However Being able to play in AHL against men. 

The fact you can put a player into the AHL if he becomes too dominant amongst his fellow juniors and he is physically mature, is surely worth consideration.

A player like Jake could maybe have benefited from playing in AHL prior to NHL? 

I suppose we have to consider the junior system is designed for the vast majority of players.

There is only 1 or 3 ''elite'' top 15 picks in any one CHL league among hundreds of players. In any one year, if? The athlete too big and strong for the competition. For now its what we have, but could improve, no doubt. But its not as out of whack s the Nathan Mackinnon's of the world make it seem.

The CHL could benefit from a 2 tier, by age, leagues. Go one year younger, a 15 to 18 year old division (plus a smaller set # of over agers) for each of WHL, OHL & the Q current teams. And an 18 to 21 year old league, an extra year at the top as well. The top 18's move up, or play in both depending on school requirements. The 18 to 21 year old division true semi pro, like Europe. A team per Western province, or maybe a 5t including US teams. Six for the Eastern provinces roughly equating population. Each CHL team getting to nominate 2 to 5 players for the senior team, get revenue from its gates? And like the USNTDP, also play against college teams or even the NTDP? Even a Euro tour per team, like champions league. This whole concept, fundamentally becomes an Allsvenskan 2knd tier to the SHL, except for the AHL. 

The teams are already fighting ''amateur status?''  And going to lose. It also would bring more hockey back home.  Why send players ''to the American'' league anyway?  :sick:      

That kids could make some money.  I believe it would help develop a wider playing base, and more interest in the game. 

Bridge the gap for the majority of players not ready for the AHL, but too big at 20  as over agers to play against 16 year olds in the CHL.

A new league!

• Cheers 1

Only 5'9'', and I;m not convinced he's all out fast. Thing is?  I dont think he ever stops skating, or tires out.  He definitely out skates guys, pops up with the puck & pulls away from players late in shifts.  Relentless! Crazy athletecism in some of the combine events.

I suppose we have to consider the junior system is designed for the vast majority of players.

There is only 1 or 3 ''elite'' top 15 picks in any one CHL league among hundreds of players. In any one year, if? The athlete too big and strong for the competition. For now its what we have, but could improve, no doubt. But its not as out of whack s the Nathan Mackinnon's of the world make it seem.

The CHL could benefit from a 2 tier, by age, leagues. Go one year younger, a 15 to 18 year old division (plus a smaller set # of over agers) for each of WHL, OHL & the Q current teams. And an 18 to 21 year old league, an extra year at the top as well. The top 18's move up, or play in both depending on school requirements. The 18 to 21 year old division true semi pro, like Europe. A team per Western province, or maybe a 5t including US teams. Six for the Eastern provinces roughly equating population. Each CHL team getting to nominate 2 to 5 players for the senior team, get revenue from its gates? And like the USNTDP, also play against college teams or even the NTDP? Even a Euro tour per team, like champions league. This whole concept, fundamentally becomes an Allsvenskan 2knd tier to the SHL, except for the AHL. 

The teams are already fighting ''amateur status?''  And going to lose. It also would bring more hockey back home.  Why send players ''to the American'' league anyway?  :sick:      

That kids could make some money.  I believe it would help develop a wider playing base, and more interest in the game. 

Bridge the gap for the majority of players not ready for the AHL, but too big at 20  as over agers to play against 16 year olds in the CHL.

A new league!

Cheers Surf... interesting thoughts. Definitely like the idea of bridging the gap... 

Thanks.

14 hours ago, khay said:

Chicago has Toews and Strome now. Not sure if they are desperate for a center. I think they need to replace Keith pretty soon and Byram would be the perfect replacement in my opinion.

Colorado would then select Turcotte, who appears to be the best forward after Hughes and Kakko. Looking at some of the rankings released recently, I felt that the top 3 would have Hughes, Kakko, and Byram. Then, there doesn't seem to be a strong consensus but Turcotte and Caufield seemed to show up quite a lot in the top 5 so I guess Colorado takes Turcotte and LA takes Caufield. This draft is going to be difficult for the teams picking 6 to say, 12 as the next group of players are very difficult to differentiate, Good news for the Canucks is that teams before them could easily make mistakes so if the Canucks have done a good job of scouting, they could still get a player they wanted at #10.

I personally felt that we should draft a forward in this draft as the next best D after Byram looked fall behind the forwards that would be available. Although I admit that Seider is giving a reason to pause, I think our pick will be on one of Krebs, Podkolzin, Zegras, and Newhook. I somehow get this feeling that Edmonton will draft Seider anyways.

interesting,

i had the same thought as well,

main reason is that Draisaitl played together with Seider on the German national team and knows Seider very well.

i believe that Holland might have asked Draisaitl about Seider.

Draisaitl then raved about Seider

Holland began to think about selecting Seider at # 8

I know that another team picking in the top 10 is also very interested in Seider

It's going to be very interesting at what spot he is going to get drafted on draft day.

A new league!

For me, upping the draft age to 19, preferably 20 solves all the problems.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, stawns said:

For me, upping the draft age to 19, preferably 20 solves all the problems.

While i agree with the sentiment, can you imagine winning the lottery the year after the switch when the only guys available are 20yo who have been passed over twice already.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Master Higgins said:

While i agree with the sentiment, can you imagine winning the lottery the year after the switch when the only guys available are 20yo who have been passed over twice already.

There would have to be some kind of transitional phase for sure