The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

Cozens, then Broberg...build from the net out when picking in this position (10)...top 5 pick, choose BPA for sure (i.e., MT)....Broberg looks like a stud.

Look at Blues "D", they have 4 top 2 Dmen...big reason why Binnington is playing well...."D" wins championships.

• Upvote 1

Really want John Farinacci with our 3rd round pick. Similar situation to Rathbone, but has showed similar amounts of skill compared to some of the top USNTDP players.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/445599/john-farinacci

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/nhl-entry-draft-picks-2019/2019/5/19/18630530/john-farinacci-2019-nhl-draft-rankings-prospect-profile-video-highlights-scouting-report-analysis

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

In my humble opinion, good Defenseman are more expensive to find on the open market than forwards. Especially RHD. This being the case, I believe if there is a potential long term fit at RHD available at our pick, you take him.

I’m not dismissing what Benning has said about his goals for the off season. I just don’t believe that we can’t patch up the Defense on the short term while also eying the long term success of the team. 

In my opinion, teams with long term success are built from the net out. Since we already have our future in net squared away (IMO), that leaves Defence. 

Hughes and Seider would sure be nice pairing together on our blue line for years to come. 

I hear Soderstrom’s name in the sports press as someone JB might take instead of Broberg or Seider. If the D is not a stud at 10, I’d prefer a top 6 forward there and look for a hidden gem D later in the draft.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

I hear Soderstrom’s name in the sports press as someone JB might take instead of Broberg or Seider. If the D is not a stud at 10, I’d prefer a top 6 forward there and look for a hidden gem D later in the draft.

JB is not taking Soderstrom.  

1 hour ago, RetroCanuck said:

Really want John Farinacci with our 3rd round pick. Similar situation to Rathbone, but has showed similar amounts of skill compared to some of the top USNTDP players.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/445599/john-farinacci

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/nhl-entry-draft-picks-2019/2019/5/19/18630530/john-farinacci-2019-nhl-draft-rankings-prospect-profile-video-highlights-scouting-report-analysis

While I wouldn't be against this pick with the 3rd my two concerns are that his production for USHS-Prep is only decent for a forward. On top of that he is going to Harvard which is the one school where I feel most of the players who wait for unrestricted free agency come from. While it may work with Rathbone, he was more of a faller from the 1st round because he chose to stay in highschool a second developmental year. A player like Farinacci will likely need the full four years of development to get to a level where he is ready to play in the NHL and thus choose where he would like to play. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Lonny_Bohonos_14 said:

I wonder how far that will drop him. That's a tough injury to come back from, he might not be the same player when he comes back. 

I agree, this will likely ruin most of his off-season training. No lingering injuries going into the off-season for any player please. This off-season is a huge developmental step for many of these players and this will set him back. 

8 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

With Krebs down, I think our likelihood of taking a D man just went up significantly.  

Maybe best for the organization in the long run.

I don't feel there's a dman, outside of Byram, who is worth passing on the list of fwds available at #10

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Lonny_Bohonos_14 said:

I wonder how far that will drop him. That's a tough injury to come back from, he might not be the same player when he comes back. 

Poor kid; he was rising in the draft and now suddenly becomes a risky pick in the top 15.  More importantly, like you have commented, will he return to hockey as the same player.  His strong skating is what creates much of his 200' game and that is an injury that could have an effect his acceleration and stride. 

Hoping he has a full recovery.

18 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

With Krebs down, I think our likelihood of taking a D man just went up significantly.  

Maybe best for the organization in the long run.

I'm not sure if Krebs was a sure in for top 10 anyways. Many ranking I read have him closer to 11-13. I do not think this changes anything for us.