The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

3 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Sorry I meant jrs like team canada.  My bad. 

In the pre draft video the Canucks released, I think it was walker talking about a player that when he has the puck he tries to ram it down your throat.  Could easily have been Newhook.  He's not a perimeter player at all.  He tries to beat other teams 1 on 1 with his great skating/agility

6 minutes ago, ItalianCanuck1 said:

Quick question: no chance that we're going to pick Krebs after the injury?

What about Boldy? He was the consensus pick here immediately after the lottery!

I would still take Krebs hands down, was a freak accident and should fully recover. Probably two years away anyways.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Funny how Newhook was one of the very first names I heard out of this draft class (probably 1.5-2 years ago) and was considered a top prospect all along, and has done nothing to dispel that notion other than simply playing in a 'lesser' league.

We'll gladly take him at #10.

1. Boldy

2. Newhook

3. Broberg

I would be shocked if none of those guys are there for us. We're getting a good player.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, ItalianCanuck1 said:

Quick question: no chance that we're going to pick Krebs after the injury?

What about Boldy? He was the consensus pick here immediately after the lottery!

I still think there is a chance we could pick him.

Achilles injuries are a big deal, I will not disclaim that. But I have worked with many athletes who have made full recoveries from these types of injuries. I think Achilles injuries get a particularly bad rep because the amount of people who only get 80-85% back after the injury. I think the reason for this is because the average person who has this injury is a middle aged male who is either heavy or used to be quite athletic. Not generally the most likely person to properly rehab an injury.

Edit. Body is still my 1, for what it's worth

Edited by shayster007
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

In the pre draft video the Canucks released, I think it was walker talking about a player that when he has the puck he tries to ram it down your throat.  Could easily have been Newhook.  He's not a perimeter player at all.  He tries to beat other teams 1 on 1 with his great skating/agility

I never said he was a perimeter player...I just pointed out he was cut because of lack of drive/engagement.....

• Wat 1

2 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I never said he was a perimeter player...I just pointed out he was cut because of lack of drive/engagement.....

Gotta be careful about looking to far into that stuff though, in every other circumstance it hasn't been the case. Coulda been nursing an injury, sickness, personal issues etc. Only thing we know is that the majority of the time, he's a difference maker.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, nergish said:

Funny how Newhook was one of the very first names I heard out of this draft class (probably 1.5-2 years ago) and was considered a top prospect all along, and has done nothing to dispel that notion other than simply playing in a 'lesser' league.

We'll gladly take him at #10.

1. Boldy

2. Newhook

3. Broberg

I would be shocked if none of those guys are there for us. We're getting a good player.

I noticed his stock took at huge drop after the U19 championship, where he failed to dominate unlike Jost and Makar at the same tourny. He has slowly been climing back up though. 

5 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Ok so I just read that. They said the reason was he had some games where he didn't play as well. Which does not equal disengaged. They also said he would likely have to either play wing or 4th line center, which they didn't feel he was best suited for.

Nothing in that source backup what you were saying, it actually supported what I was saying more.

I have yet to find anything that has backup what you were saying about lack of interest or disengagement. So far the only place I have been able to find saying that, is you. That is why I asked what your experience with the prospect was so I could decide whether or not it was a valid source with considering.

I think its safe to say we are getting a very good pick at 10 regardless of who we pick.

Krebs, Boldy, Zegras, Dach, Cozens, Seider, Broberg, Newhook, Podkolzin. I would be happy with any one of them although I prefer Dach, Cozens, Krebs, Newhook, Boldy, Zegras in that order.

Would it be too much to ask for Benning to find a way to pick up another mid-1st and maybe another 2nd? Maybe a 3 way involving Edmonton, where we get the 3rd teams 1st round pick, Edmontons 2nd, and Lucic. 4 picks in the first two rounds would bring our rebuild to a close.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Ok so I just read that. They said the reason was he had some games where he didn't play as well. Which does not equal disengaged. They also said he would likely have to either play wing or 4th line center, which they didn't feel he was best suited for.

Nothing in that source backup what you were saying, it actually supported what I was saying more.

I have yet to find anything that has backup what you were saying about lack of interest or disengagement. So far the only place I have been able to find saying that, is you. That is why I asked what your experience with the prospect was so I could decide whether or not it was a valid source with considering.

I can't find where I heard  it sorry. I'm going off  article  and when I watched him play...to me at times he would be a game changed and others you would barely hear his name. 

2 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

The one thing about Newhook is he has been the best player in pretty much every league he has played in, meaning he is probably comfortable being the go to guy.  

It must be hard for the scouts to get a read on these guys, like Newhook, who play in a lesser league.  The Junior A leagues across Canada are not nearly so good as Major Junior, or the US college ranks.  

2 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I can't find where I heard  it sorry. I'm going off  article  and when I watched him play...to me at times he would be a game changed and others you would barely hear his name. 

That's fine if you can't provide a source but those are big claims you are standing behind with up to this point, zero proof.

You saying you watched him is more interesting to me. Because I did watch him in Victoria and didn't see what you claim to have seen. That why I asked right from the top how much you had watched him play. Did you see many Victoria games, tourney play, or highlights.

I get legitimately curious in cases such as this because I often don't have the opportunity to watch players as much as I would like. In this instance this is a player I have been fortunate enough to become familiar with so I just want to know what you have seen that I missed.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Alflives said:

It must be hard for the scouts to get a read on these guys, like Newhook, who play in a lesser league.  The Junior A leagues across Canada are not nearly so good as Major Junior, or the US college ranks.  

Luckily Jost is a pretty good recent comparable.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

The one thing about Newhook is he has been the best player in pretty much every league he has played in, meaning he is probably comfortable being the go to guy.  

Makes sense. I have also read one of the knocks on him is that he has a hard time elevating his play against tougher competition. It could go both ways.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

That's fine if you can't provide a source but those are big claims you are standing behind with up to this point, zero proof.

You saying you watched him is more interesting to me. Because I did watch him in Victoria and didn't see what you claim to have seen. That why I asked right from the top how much you had watched him play. Did you see many Victoria games, tourney play, or highlights.

I get legitimately curious in cases such as this because I often don't have the opportunity to watch players as much as I would like. In this instance this is a player I have been fortunate enough to become familiar with so I just want to know what you have seen that I missed.

It was tourney play just before he got cut...and just on t.v. He had one game where I didn really notice him until the third and then boom he sets up a goal....I'm always wanting more from him..

• Thanks 1