The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

Look at how big Ryan O'Reilly has come up for the Blues in these finals. Imagine having two players similar to him in Horvat and Krebs.

Our management/medical staff have a much better idea of how severe Krebs' injury it is and how it may or may not effect him long-term, so if JB is comfortable with selcting him at 10 then I say it's a very good pick for us.

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs
  • Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Makes sense. I have also read one of the knocks on him is that he has a hard time elevating his play against tougher competition. It could go both ways.

I wanted to ask cause you said you watched him in BCHL....is he a beast cause his playing against  weaker players? 

1 hour ago, ItalianCanuck1 said:

Quick question: no chance that we're going to pick Krebs after the injury?

What about Boldy? He was the consensus pick here immediately after the lottery!

I get the feeling the Canucks scouting team has him rated lower than 10. If I have to guess their ranking system for sure favors centers and defensemen based on previous drafts. In addition the 3 interviews that are confirmed(?) were Zegras, Newhook and Krebs. Also Benning mentioned being interested in Broberg and Soderstrom. 

I think the path Newhook took was just fine for his development. Sometimes being the dominant player in a lessor league allows for you to develop the dangles at a slower place and you also get top ice time. Being third line guy on a really good team playing fast simple hockey doesn't let you develop those skills. Boston College hockey program will be a steep learning curve and will teach him what he can and can't get away with. Good thing is he has confidence to skate with the puck and can dangle the puck with speed. After a couple good seasons of high level coaching in Boston College he will likely be ready to challenge for a spot on the Canucks like Boeser did. 

3 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I wanted to ask cause you said you watched him in BCHL....is he a beast cause his playing against  weaker players? 

Pretty loaded question. Likely plays a roll in an eye test when trying to evaluate a player when his competition is not as strong. On the flip side, his teammates are on a lower tier then himself as well, not just his opposition. I never noticed him attempting to be a one man army on the ice. He always seemed to use his teammates well and earned almost twice the amounts of assists and goals. 

You could argue Krebs was in a similar boat in some regards. His team was poor, but I had heard he sometimes tried to do to much to compensate for that. Something I personally did not notice Newhook trying to do l.

He often skated circles around everyone on the ice. That was in part due to the level of play he was participating in, but I don't think that was the only reason by any means. He has been touted by many as one of the better skaters in the draft. The guy can move.

I think he has a harder time with the increased skill of competition for the same reason many players do. It is a shock playing with players who are equal or better then yourself if you are used to being a superstar. It's the same reason many European, Russian, and even AHL players can have difficult transitions to the NHL. It must be a huge learning curve trying to configure your game into what will work against your opponents in a new league.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Luckily Jost is a pretty good recent comparable.  

I don’t think he’s that great of one.

i think Newhook was quite a bit better than Jost draft year.

like Newhook completely dominated the league.

also his skating is on another level.

Jost imo should have stayed in college for at least 1 more year. He’s a decent player but I think they rushed him a little and that has capped his potential in my eyes.

i think Makar (I know dman and different league) is a better comparable to Newhook.

1 - both are fantastic skaters

2 - both dominated their jr leagues in their own way

i expect Newhook to have a great college career most likely 2 years long and a killer world jr performance. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

I think the path Newhook took was just fine for his development. Sometimes being the dominant player in a lessor league allows for you to develop the dangles at a slower place and you also get top ice time. Being third line guy on a really good team playing fast simple hockey doesn't let you develop those skills. Boston College hockey program will be a steep learning curve and will teach him what he can and can't get away with. Good thing is he has confidence to skate with the puck and can dangle the puck with speed. After a couple good seasons of high level coaching in Boston College he will likely be ready to challenge for a spot on the Canucks like Boeser did. 

Yea 2 years of college I think. 

Hes also the captain of his team, a natural goal scorer, an exceptional skater, overcome adversity of being a Canada camp cut earlier in the year to being a force at the u18s.

i think he’ll have to learn to be careful skating up the middle with speed like he does regularly in jr cause college has some big mean kids that will teach him, but that will be good.

he also has solid size for his height, he’s not a small guy.

I like him a lot. And think he’d look great in a canucks sweater

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I don’t think he’s that great of one.

i think Newhook was quite a bit better than Jost draft year.

like Newhook completely dominated the league.

also his skating is on another level.

Jost imo should have stayed in college for at least 1 more year. He’s a decent player but I think they rushed him a little and that has capped his potential in my eyes.

i think Makar (I know dman and different league) is a better comparable to Newhook.

1 - both are fantastic skaters

2 - both dominated their jr leagues in their own way

i expect Newhook to have a great college career most likely 2 years long and a killer world jr performance. 

Its hard to compare a Dman and forward though, Jost and Newhook have similar size, both play center, similar draft year stats, and Jost's skating is actually pretty good. Jost was also taken 10th overall ironically.   

27 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Look at how big Ryan O'Reilly has come up for the Blues in these finals. Imagine having two players similar to him in Horvat and Krebs.

Our management/medical staff have a much better idea of how severe Krebs' injury it is and how it may or may not effect him long-term, so if JB is comfortable with selcting him at 10 then I say it's a very good pick for us.

He got surgery so that it probably 6-9 months on the side lines. If they select him at 10th it means that they likely had him ranked considerably higher - considering the risk of lost development time and the nature of the injury plus how high our pick is. Hard to select someone in a walking boot at 10th overall in front of your home crowd. All that being said JB has not given us a reason to panic when it comes to draft day decisions.

7 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Yea 2 years of college I think. 

Hes also the captain of his team, a natural goal scorer, an exceptional skater, overcome adversity of being a Canada camp cut earlier in the year to being a force at the u18s.

Who knows, might be 1 year. He's not far off.

4 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Who knows, might be 1 year. He's not far off.

True but if it’s even close to deciding I’d want him to do one more year in college it’s really no harm and think he’d be a better player after. But who knows maybe your eighth and he is completely ready after 1.

I’m a cautious guy haha

16 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Its hard to compare a Dman and forward though, Jost and Newhook have similar size, both play center, similar draft year stats, and Jost's skating is actually pretty good. Jost was also taken 10th overall ironically.   

I agree it is hard.  But I was comparing development paths. Because neither really had a solid comparable imo. And both were dominant and exceptional skaters.

I personally get the Jost, I just don’t love it. 

jost was on a very good team, he wasn’t even the top producer on it I’m pretty sure. Same thing when he went to North Dakota he got to play with some decent players, including Boeser.

newhook had like

double the points of the next highest scorer on his team, led the playoffs in scoring playing less games, led the league in scoring and scored almost 0.5pts/game more than anyone close to him.

again I like jost think he was a solid prospect, a great college player but I think he needed one year more in North Dakota being the go to guy there. 

Newhook is just on another level imo and yes jost is a  good skater but I thinkNewhook is a faster stronger skater.

jost did dominate his u18 tournament though which I’m pretty sure locked in his top 10 selection. Maybe I’m biased because I know what he is rn and it clearly was affected by not staying in college longer. 

1 hour ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

He got surgery so that it probably 6-9 months on the side lines. If they select him at 10th it means that they likely had him ranked considerably higher - considering the risk of lost development time and the nature of the injury plus how high our pick is. Hard to select someone in a walking boot at 10th overall in front of your home crowd. All that being said JB has not given us a reason to panic when it comes to draft day decisions.

its a 4-6 months injury.   If he's injured it anytime during the season however he's done.  since it was just injured, he will be back by November.

11 hours ago, jptony604 said:

Let’s just say you were the GM of the Oilers... Would u give up what u just said above to get rid of Lucic’s bad contract? To someone in your division? Top D prospect in ur already weak D prospect pool, ur next 2 years of first rounders? Do u think even the best gm in the league would be able to? Let me guess we are sending LE the other way as well right? 

Don't try to reason with the homers that think Deadmonton will give up the 8oa with Lucic just to get rid of him because edmonton has no leverage.

But lets not discuss the fact edmonton can just keep lucic and not gut their prospect pool or ditch a high 1st rounder lmao.

Your question was excellent. Would any poster here give up our 10th overall pick this year along with Loui just to get rid of Loui? OF COURSE NOT. 

It is like having a debate with trump haha.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TGokou said:

I get the feeling the Canucks scouting team has him rated lower than 10. If I have to guess their ranking system for sure favors centers and defensemen based on previous drafts. In addition the 3 interviews that are confirmed(?) were Zegras, Newhook and Krebs. Also Benning mentioned being interested in Broberg and Soderstrom. 

I think these are the targets.  Zegras, Newhook, Broberg and I have no/few questions.  Krebs and Soderstrom give me pause as I feel they are the safer picks but we are still in need of difference makers through the draft and those last two don’t feel like those players.

Edited by Kobayashi Maru
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Don't try to reason with the homers that think Deadmonton will give up the 8oa with Lucic just to get rid of him because edmonton has no leverage.

But lets not discuss the fact edmonton can just keep lucic and not gut their prospect pool or ditch a high 1st rounder lmao.

Your question was excellent. Would any poster here give up our 10th overall pick this year along with Loui just to get rid of Loui? OF COURSE NOT. 

It is like having a debate with trump haha.

To me the only thing that will happen will be Lucic +Puljujarvi for Eriksson.  Only if a clause is in place that Lucic doesn’t take up an expansion slot.

with ten I am feeling stronger and stronger about Newhook being our sleeper pick.  Remember way back when Newhook just considered top 3.  That was about a year ago so lots has changed but I think he could be a great find at 10.

• Like 1