The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

20 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Don't try to reason with the homers that think Deadmonton will give up the 8oa with Lucic just to get rid of him because edmonton has no leverage.

But lets not discuss the fact edmonton can just keep lucic and not gut their prospect pool or ditch a high 1st rounder lmao.

Your question was excellent. Would any poster here give up our 10th overall pick this year along with Loui just to get rid of Loui? OF COURSE NOT. 

It is like having a debate with trump haha.

The difference between oilers and Canucks are the Canucks don't have Mcdavid and you can't tell me you don't see him asking for a trade? They don't have time to wait...Oilers are over a barrel....

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

My final top 10

Hughes
Kakko
Turcotte
Byram
Cozens

Dach

Podkolzin
Broberg
Zegras
Boldy

If Boldy lands at 10 and we select him I'll be ticked pink. Unfortunately, I feel he'll be selected before 10. 

My top ten list would look something like this.

Hughes

Kakko

Bryam

Turcotte

Dach

Cozens

Zegras

Boldy

Broberg

Newhook

I think Podkolzin slips out of the top ten and Newhook moves up.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

If Boldy lands at 10 and we select him I'll be ticked pink. Unfortunately, I feel he'll be selected before 10. 

Hughes

Kakko

Bryam

Turcotte

Dach

Cozens

Zegras

Boldy

Broberg

Newhook

Was krebs always out of your top 10 or do you have him falling due tohis injury?

5 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Hughes

Kakko

Bryam

Turcotte

Dach

Cozens

Zegras

Boldy

Broberg

Newhook

If Podkolzin is there at 10 should we take him, or Newhook?  I know you think Newhook will go at ten, but isn’t Podkolzin better?  

Just now, 73 Percent said:

Was krebs always out of your top 10 or do you have him falling due tohis injury?

He was always borderline with me. Anywhere from 8-12. I have the injury just nudging him out, although I still think there's a very real possibility that we select him. Assuming we don't, I don't see him slipping any further down than 12th or 13th, with only Podkolzin, Soderstrom and Caulfield possibly being ahead of him.

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If Podkolzin is there at 10 should we take him, or Newhook?  I know you think Newhook will go at ten, but isn’t Podkolzin better?  

It's just a vague list based on how I would rank the top ten if I were a GM. The Russian factor is a pretty significant red flag imho, and his lack of production in the KHL, while not a complete game changer, does leave some room for worry. Newhook seems like a boom or bust type pick to me, but his play at the under 18's showed me that what he's done in the BCHL isn't a fluke. 

The main issue for me though is Podkolzin's contract status though. 

1 hour ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

its a 4-6 months injury.   If he's injured it anytime during the season however he's done.  since it was just injured, he will be back by November.

Did he not fully lacerate his achilles? It took Demarcus Cousins of the NBA 1 year to return from the same surgery.

I’m thinking that the draft is set in tiers. Anyone can go anywhere in these tiers, but I doubt we’ll see much overlap between. 

Tier 1

1) Hughes 

2) Kakko 

Tier 2 

3) Byram 

4) Turcotte 

5) Dach 

Tier 3 

6) Caufield 

7) Zegras 

8) Podkolzin 

9) Boldy 

10) Newhook

11) Cozens 

12) Krebs 

13) Broberg 

14) Soderstrom 

This isn’t really a ranking, but counting off all of the guys in each tier. I’m starting to like Newhook more and more. I’d be okay with almost anyone in tier 3, but I prefer Newhook, Podkolzin, Zegras,  or Krebs in that general order. 

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If Podkolzin is there at 10 you take him. He didn't score at the u-20 tourney,but he was a powerful, puck possession guy who was noticeable when he had the puck and Russia very rarely plays any 17 year olds. Apparently it's easier for an underage player to get out of a KHL contract, because they have provisions for players eligible for the draft.

Newhook is a good straight line player, but I'm afraid he's a smaller version of Virtanen. That's just a feeling and I don't think that's entirely accurate, but it's a reality when players have a physical advantage in their league, like Newhook's skating.

12 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Did he not fully lacerate his achilles? It took Demarcus Cousins of the NBA 1 year to return from the same surgery.

It was reported as a partial tear by a skate blade successfully repaired with surgery.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Stamkos said:

I’m thinking that the draft is set in tiers. Anyone can go anywhere in these tiers, but I doubt we’ll see much overlap between. 

Tier 1

1) Hughes 

2) Kakko 

Tier 2 

3) Byram 

4) Turcotte 

5) Dach 

Tier 3 

6) Caufield 

7) Zegras 

8) Podkolzin 

9) Boldy 

10) Newhook

11) Cozens 

12) Krebs 

13) Broberg 

14) Soderstrom 

This isn’t really a ranking, but counting off all of the guys in each tier. I’m starting to like Newhook more and more. I’d be okay with almost anyone in tier 3, but I prefer Newhook, Podkolzin, Zegras,  or Krebs in that general order. 

Mostly agree, although I'd probably throw Cozens into that second tier.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Mostly agree, although I'd probably throw Cozens into that second tier.

Cozens is a tough one. While his high draft stock has stayed the same, others have risen drastically, pushing him down. I don’t see him going higher than Turcotte, Byram or Dach, but I could most definitely be wrong. 

Just now, Stamkos said:

Cozens is a tough one. While his high draft stock has stayed the same, others have risen drastically, pushing him down. I don’t see him going higher than Turcotte, Byram or Dach, but I could most definitely be wrong. 

I agree with you in that regard. I think he's probably at the bottom of that 2nd tier, but he's probably about as close to a sure thing as you're gonna find in this draft outside of the top two. For that reason I'd probably rank him above anyone in that third tier. I agree he is borderline though.

I'm still on the newhook train. There would have to be one hell of a good player drop. Turcotte, Podkolzin, Dach, possibly Cozens but would be on the fence there. I'd probably take Newhook at 7.

In terms of team need my ranking would be.

Kakko

Hughes 

Byram

Turcotte 

Dach 

Podkolzin 

Cozens/Newhook

Boldy

Zegras 

Kaliyev 

Would be be happy with any of them though could make a case for Sieder Krebs too.

Edited by hammertime
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Hughes

Kakko

Bryam

Turcotte

Dach

Cozens

Zegras

Boldy

Broberg

Newhook

I like your list and think it will be close to the real draft. I think that Chicago passes on Byram though as they have a strong D pipeline (even though they could use a lefty), and instead they look to find their Toews replacement. Strome has come in and shown he has talent but they still need a 1A - I see Strome as a 1B/2A player. Irrespective of what his ceiling is, they are lacking a 2nd center of the future. I see them taking Turcotte or Dach/Cozens. I lean to Turcotte because he has elite skills and maybe the fact he's an Illinois boy weighs in slightly

I also think Boldy may not get to us. I see Edmonton thinking long and hard on Boldy, Caufeild (as wingers for McJesus) or Broberg

I think we will have a choice over Krebs, Newhook, Podkolzin and a number of D. I have no clue on how good Podkolzin is but if he's the BPA it will be a tough call between those three, but I'd be Pod, Krebs, then Newhook. Regardless, this year's top 15 is strong. We are getting to top 6 winger or a top 4 dman and that's a great thing

8 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

I like your list and think it will be close to the real draft. I think that Chicago passes on Byram though as they have a strong D pipeline (even though they could use a lefty), and instead they look to find their Toews replacement. Strome has come in and shown he has talent but they still need a 1A - I see Strome as a 1B/2A player. Irrespective of what his ceiling is, they are lacking a 2nd center of the future. I see them taking Turcotte or Dach/Cozens. I lean to Turcotte because he has elite skills and maybe the fact he's an Illinois boy weighs in slightly

I also think Boldy may not get to us. I see Edmonton thinking long and hard on Boldy, Caufeild (as wingers for McJesus) or Broberg

I think we will have a choice over Krebs, Newhook, Podkolzin and a number of D. I have no clue on how good Podkolzin is but if he's the BPA it will be a tough call between those three, but I'd be Pod, Krebs, then Newhook. Regardless, this year's top 15 is strong. We are getting to top 6 winger or a top 4 dman and that's a great thing

Agreed on Chicago potentially going Turcotte.  In a few years I could see:

Turcotte

Strome

Toews

That is strong center depth especially if they keep Toews long term

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

The difference between oilers and Canucks are the Canucks don't have Mcdavid and you can't tell me you don't see him asking for a trade? They don't have time to wait...Oilers are over a barrel....

I agree that the Oilers should be in a win now (or at least soon...) mode. LE:s cap hit is $6 mil/year for 3 more years though, so I'm not sure that's a good fit regardless of the remainder of a deal.

Maybe Sutter at 50% and a minor piece like Hutton for Lucic as a base and then their 8OA or Poolparty?

Lots of unfair proposals regarding Lucic of course, but that's the way it should be. We don't need him and the Oilers can sort out their own problems. Shoot for the moon and if they Oilers don't like it, well, nice talking to ya Ken ;-)

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1