Turcotte 

Zegras 

Bryam 

Podkolzin

Newhook 

Dach 

Cozens 

Boldy 

IMO if Byram falls out of the top 5 for whatever reason Benning has to make phone calls about moving up to take him. 

34 minutes ago, J-P said:

I agree that the Oilers should be in a win now (or at least soon...) mode. LE:s cap hit is $6 mil/year for 3 more years though, so I'm not sure that's a good fit regardless of the remainder of a deal.

Maybe Sutter at 50% and a minor piece like Hutton for Lucic as a base and then their 8OA or Poolparty?

Lots of unfair proposals regarding Lucic of course, but that's the way it should be. We don't need him and the Oilers can sort out their own problems. Shoot for the moon and if they Oilers don't like it, well, nice talking to ya Ken ;-)

I agree. I would rather have 8 th overall instead of pool party....Jim's drafting has been on point. I could only imagine getting two high end players in one draft...it would also speed up the rebuild too. 

I would trade Loui else where....if Jim can find a taker...they need depth and that's one thing Jim has gathered in the bottom six and bottom pairing LD....

• Cheers 1

I think there is a very high chance that Benning trades down. Wouldn't be surprised if we are picking around 15.

1. Hughes

2. Kakko

3. Byram

4. Turcotte

5. Dach

6. Zegras

7. Cozens

8. Caufield

9. Podkolzin

10. Zegras

11. Boldy

12. Soderstrom

13. Newhook

14. Krebs

15. Seider

Have to like the depth at the top of this draft. Its going to be an interesting day

13 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

He was always borderline with me. Anywhere from 8-12. I have the injury just nudging him out, although I still think there's a very real possibility that we select him. Assuming we don't, I don't see him slipping any further down than 12th or 13th, with only Podkolzin, Soderstrom and Caulfield possibly being ahead of him.

It's just a vague list based on how I would rank the top ten if I were a GM. The Russian factor is a pretty significant red flag imho, and his lack of production in the KHL, while not a complete game changer, does leave some room for worry. Newhook seems like a boom or bust type pick to me, but his play at the under 18's showed me that what he's done in the BCHL isn't a fluke. 

The main issue for me though is Podkolzin's contract status though. 

Agree fully. HIs KHL time is such a small sample size its hard to judge that... but for me its the 2 more years of KHL deal that bother me. This is a key pick in the rebuild and there are lots of other great choices at 10 so why add extra complications? 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Agree fully. HIs KHL time is such a small sample size its hard to judge that... but for me its the 2 more years of KHL deal that bother me. This is a key pick in the rebuild and there are lots of other great choices at 10 so why add extra complications? 

It really comes down to talent. If he can be a 90 pt player and you have to wait till he’s 20 who cares. Most, if not all, of the players we could select at 10 are not going to step right in. They will need a year back in junior / us college to gain strength. I think you’re over estimating how soon a player will step in imho

Edited by 18W-40C-6W
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

It really comes down to talent. If he can be a 90 pt player and you have to wait till he’s 20 who cares. Most, if not all, of the players we could select at 10 are not going to step right in. They will need a year back in junior / us college to gain strength. I think you’re over estimating how soon a player will step in imho

yeah, I could be. But projecting him as a 90 pt player is a reach too. IMO the other players that look to be in the 10 spot bring other things we need too. 

Zegras could be the Oates in "Hull & Oates", which could equate to "Zegras & Boeser"....if he is still there at 10, then it definitely a pick to consider.

Edited by Pete M
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Bure.jpeg

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, RetroCanuck said:

I think there is a very high chance that Benning trades down. Wouldn't be surprised if we are picking around 15.

1. Hughes

2. Kakko

3. Byram

4. Turcotte

5. Dach

6. Zegras

7. Cozens

8. Caufield

9. Podkolzin

10. Zegras

11. Boldy

12. Soderstrom

13. Newhook

14. Krebs

15. Seider

Have to like the depth at the top of this draft. Its going to be an interesting day

This is a great list...………….Broberg?

13 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

If Podkolzin is there at 10 you take him. He didn't score at the u-20 tourney,but he was a powerful, puck possession guy who was noticeable when he had the puck and Russia very rarely plays any 17 year olds. Apparently it's easier for an underage player to get out of a KHL contract, because they have provisions for players eligible for the draft.

Newhook is a good straight line player, but I'm afraid he's a smaller version of Virtanen. That's just a feeling and I don't think that's entirely accurate, but it's a reality when players have a physical advantage in their league, like Newhook's skating.

Newhook's a better play maker but otherwise, yeah smaller version of Virtanen isn't that far off. Not that that's a bad thing, the kid certainly has some nice tools. But IMO there's guys that will be available there with better puck skills, and higher ceilings.

Now if we happen to trade down a few spots on the other hand....

16 hours ago, R3aL said:

I agree it is hard.  But I was comparing development paths. Because neither really had a solid comparable imo. And both were dominant and exceptional skaters.

I personally get the Jost, I just don’t love it. 

jost was on a very good team, he wasn’t even the top producer on it I’m pretty sure. Same thing when he went to North Dakota he got to play with some decent players, including Boeser.

newhook had like

double the points of the next highest scorer on his team, led the playoffs in scoring playing less games, led the league in scoring and scored almost 0.5pts/game more than anyone close to him.

again I like jost think he was a solid prospect, a great college player but I think he needed one year more in North Dakota being the go to guy there. 

Newhook is just on another level imo and yes jost is a  good skater but I thinkNewhook is a faster stronger skater.

jost did dominate his u18 tournament though which I’m pretty sure locked in his top 10 selection. Maybe I’m biased because I know what he is rn and it clearly was affected by not staying in college longer. 

I do really like his edgework and his leadership qualities, heard an interview on 650 with him and seems like a character kid. He is a bit shorter than advertised but is pretty stocky 5-feet-10.5, 192 pounds.

• Cheers 1

I expect Jimbo to trade down from what I have been hearing from his interviews. They must have someone on their radar from the tier 3 group at around 15 is my guess. Not sure what could be acquired to move down though. A 3rd?

5 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

1. Hughes

2. Kakko

3. Byram

4. Turcotte

5. Dach

6. Zegras

7. Cozens

8. Caufield

9. Podkolzin

10. Zegras

11. Boldy

12. Soderstrom

13. Newhook

14. Krebs

15. Seider

Zegras has mutated from 6 to 10.

Edited by steviewonder20

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Newhook's a better play maker but otherwise, yeah smaller version of Virtanen isn't that far off. Not that that's a bad thing, the kid certainly has some nice tools. But IMO there's guys that will be available there with better puck skills, and higher ceilings.

Now if we happen to trade down a few spots on the other hand....

A smaller version of Virtanen is way off, their games do not resemble each others at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Bure_Pavel said:

A smaller version of Virtanen is way off, their games do not resemble each others at all.

Fast, good shot, North South. Like I said, Newhook has better play making (and is smaller) but it's not that far off. And both are middle 6 upside players IMO.

On 6/8/2019 at 6:25 PM, ItTakesAnArmy said:

NHL - the best of the best - Bigger - Stronger - Faster. The big teams win. The big teams with one scoring line win more. The big teams with one scoring line and lots of scoring from defence win even more.

Tampa is the example of a small fast, highly skilled team. Great in the regular season but yet to win a round in the playoffs, bounced by bigger teams. Cancuks are another, cute, small, fast, look good but just don't win but some fans want to snuggle up to them and keep them safe.:lol:

I take it you have an insecurity about your size.   0f1269d8ae56a72cda122393a3f0ad5b.jpeg

PS - not to worry you too much as the Boston Bruins are one of the shortest and lightest teams in the NHL....Vancouver, not so much so you have a small team that is having success you can now identify with.  Hope this has helped you.   :)

Screen-Shot-2018-01-11-at-10.49.43-PM.pn

Screen-Shot-2018-01-11-at-10.50.28-PM.pn

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1