The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

5 minutes ago, groovy said:

I expect Jimbo to trade down from what I have been hearing from his interviews. They must have someone on their radar from the tier 3 group at around 15 is my guess. Not sure what could be acquired to move down though. A 3rd?

Pretty sure moving down one spot in the Pettersson draft was worth a 2nd rounder. Albeit Vegas was loaded with picks because of the expansion draft. But I’d still say moving down 5 spots to be worth at least a 2nd rounder.

11 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Newhook isnt just a north / south player. I dont see the Virtanen comparison at all.

Jake used his strength / speed advantage to pile goals in jr. Newhook is a rounded offensive player & he doesnt have Virtanens strength.

This. He's not limited to North south, he's fast yes but his edge work gives him many options in the offensive zone. Top it off with great hockey IQ, he can create plays in multiple circumstances not just off the rush. He sees the ice well and makes the most of his chances. No offense to Jake, but offense often dies on his stick, he wastes quality opportunities because he lacks the high end IQ. Big differences between the two, not at all similar imo.

Edited by cyoung
  • Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Newhook isnt just a north / south player. I dont see the Virtanen comparison at all.

Jake used his strength / speed advantage to pile goals in jr. Newhook is a rounded offensive player & he doesnt have Virtanens strength.

Im not going to pretend to have watched these guys all year, but the  u18s I watched newhook was the best player for Canada.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i could see JB moving down two spots to minny’s spot as part of a deal to get zucker. apparently JB has made 2 offers for zucker. that wouldn’t be too bad. 

Zucker is a very good player and has a great salary cap, but my concern is that JB is offering up Brock for Zucker and a draft swap.  Brock is 5 yrs younger and is already putting up Zucker points.  Seems like an overpayment on the Canucks send.

• Haha 2
  • Wat 1

3 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Zucker is a very good player and has a great salary cap, but my concern is that JB is offering up Brock for Zucker and a draft swap.  Brock is 5 yrs younger and is already putting up Zucker points.  Seems like an overpayment on the Canucks send.

It’s not happening. Don’t worry. You’re worrying over nothing. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

It’s not happening. Don’t worry. You’re worrying over nothing. 

Probably, but I just can't figure why JB is interested in Zucker.  The Canucks really don't have the trade bait for such a player and Minni won't score much without Zucker.

1 minute ago, higgyfan said:

Probably, but I just can't figure why JB is interested in Zucker.  The Canucks really don't have the trade bait for such a player and Minni won't score much without Zucker.

Benning probably just doing his due diligence as a gm and getting a feel for prices. Obviously the conversation stops when Brock is brought into it. 

Zucker is a top 6 winger and brings speed. The nucks need another top 6 winger so we should see some action  pretty soon. Assuming it’s not compromising our core of youth + picks. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Fast, good shot, North South. Like I said, Newhook has better play making (and is smaller) but it's not that far off. And both are middle 6 upside players IMO.

Newhook and Virtanen only share two similarities in my opinion.

canadian and fast

newhook is a completely different player he’s always moving around on the pp, in the offensive zone. He has a much higher hockey IQ at the same age. I don’t see the similarities at all. 

Virtanen was kind of a one trick pony in JR skate wide and past guys and blast it over top the goalie or skate through a kid and blast it over the goalie. That’s why he got comparisons to Booth. No one is comparing Newhook to Virtanen or booth for good reason. Sorry mate just don’t agree with this comparisons.

and Newhook defn has top 6 upside 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Newhook and Virtanen only share two similarities in my opinion.

canadian and fast

newhook is a completely different player he’s always moving around on the pp, in the offensive zone. He has a much higher hockey IQ at the same age. I don’t see the similarities at all. 

Virtanen was kind of a one trick pony in JR skate wide and past guys and blast it over top the goalie or skate through a kid and blast it over the goalie. That’s why he got comparisons to Booth. No one is comparing Newhook to Virtanen or booth for good reason. Sorry mate just don’t agree with this comparisons.

and Newhook defn has top 6 upside 

Again, agreed he has more IQ and is a better play maker. As I stated. Virtanen is bigger/more physical. They're both fast and use they're speed to attack the opposition and have good shots. Both lack elite puck skills. Both IMO have middle 6 upside.

I'm also not the guy who made the original comparison. I agree they're not the same player. They have some similarities.

Edited by aGENT
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Again, agreed he has more IQ and is a better play maker. As I stated. Virtanen is bigger/more physical. They're both fast and use they're speed to attack the opposition and have good shots. Both lack elite puck skills. Both IMO have middle 6 upside.

I'm also not the guy who made the original comparison. I agree they're not the same player. They have some similarities.

Gotcha. Nonetheless I think Newhook does have elite puck skills and top 6 potential, if not top line potential if developed properly. 

Did his u18 performance not change your opinion on him? 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Again, agreed he has more IQ and is a better play maker. As I stated. Virtanen is bigger/more physical. They're both fast and use they're speed to attack the opposition with good shots. Both lack elite puck skills. Both IMO have middle 6 upside.

I'm also not the guy who made the original comparison. I agree they're not the same player. They ave similarities.

One's a playmaker and the other is a power forward they attack the net in very different ways and have very different attributes, just not a good comparison. The only attribute that is very similar is really speed. Their shots are even very different, Virtanen has a lot more power while Newhook relies on acccuracy and quick release.

When I watch Alex Newhook highlights he almost reminds me of Q.Hughes as a forward buzzing around other players with the puck, making hockey plays, and making things hard on the other team. He has a left shot and I would love to see him used on a line with Pettersson and Boeser. His speed to get the puck down the ice and make a play to Boeser for the one timer would be awesome to watch. As well as letting Q.Hughes skate the puck up ice and have Newhook skating around to get open doing circles around the other teams defence would be really hard to check and make more room for Boeser and Pettersson to get the puck. The thought of those 4 working tother gives me goosebumps. If we had a young, physical, defensively minded, right shot defence man with a cannon of a shot to play with Quinn that would form a really solid line. Maybe Jet Woo?? or maybe someone we draft with our first next year?? 

Edit: maybe a good defence man who falls to our second round pick this year?? 

Newhook Pettersson Boeser 

Q.Hughes Woo 

Edited by kenhodgejr

On 4/10/2019 at 12:05 PM, Fanuck said:

I watched Newhook play live 3 times last season and about 6 times this season - including 4 playoff games.  Take my observations with a grain of salt as I'm not the director of amateur scouting for an NHL team, but sadly, I was NOT impressed.  He played on a highly offensive-minded team in the Grizzlies and that system suited his style perfectly.  His skating, IQ, shot, and passing can all be very reasonably projected to the pro/NHL level imo - but to what degree?  What was the deal-breaker for me was every time he faced bigger, faster, more physical, more experienced, opposition - I saw him disappear.   Again, I have a limited sample size, and maybe he stepped it up on other occasions but when I watched him recently (both reg and playoff), he didn't impress.  Most notably, in the Grizz elimination series versus Prince George Spruce Kings (which I had the fortune to watch two games in PG and a game in Colwood), he was a complete 'peripheral' player and although he got a couple points in the series, he was most definitely NOT a difference-maker on the ice at the time of the year you would need him to be and expect him to be quite frankly.   On top of that, the Kings did a great job neutralizing him but he didn't take it well.  Every time he was knocked down, instead of getting up determined to be involved, he grimaced, got up deliberately slowly (often making himself offside and/or completely out of the play) and sulked his way to the bench while starring down the nearest ref.  He followed that up by approaching the ref every single intermission for a discussion on what I can only assume was why he wasn't getting 'the calls' he thought he deserved.  It was one playoff series I know - the Grizz were tired after a long battle with PR and the Kings were very well rested. 

With all the discussion about this kid and all the people saying he's a 'no-brainer' at #10, I have to re-post this comment I made from about 2 months ago.  Having watched Newhook live last season and this season (at home, on the road, regular season and playoffs) I have to say I was impressed with his skill-set but VERY unimpressed with the 'intangibles' that so often set apart the players with skill and the players who 'make a difference' for your team night-in-night-out unfortunately.  I'm not saying he's an absolute 'no' at the draft, but I would presume JB and co would be doing their full due-diligence on this kid because there are a few question marks about him by my own observations admittedly. 

• Thanks 1