The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

57 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Sign me up. A year in the K is nothing to whine about either. 

Podk, Zeg, or Boldy for me. 

He is almost guaranteed to be in the KHL for 2. Apparently it's easier to get kids out of their KHL contracts but even so it's best to expect him to stay the two years. And even that isn't bad. Most kids, especially drafted outside the top 3-5 need a couple years of maturing time. He is considered one of the more NHL ready prospects by a few scouts, from the scouting reports I read anyway. So he could very well pop up in a year if what is said about kid's KHL contracts is true. Either way nobody we draft at 10 will be in the NHL this season and very likely will not be NHL ready next season either. So the two year KHL deal is moot all things considered. If Pod is there at 10 the only players I'd pass on him for are Hughes, Kakko, Byram, Turcotte and Cozens (Dach is a toss up). 3 of those 5 will be long gone by 10, and personally I think Pod will be gone too.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

He is almost guaranteed to be in the KHL for 2. Apparently it's easier to get kids out of their KHL contracts but even so it's best to expect him to stay the two years. And even that isn't bad. Most kids, especially drafted outside the top 3-5 need a couple years of maturing time. He is considered one of the more NHL ready prospects by a few scouts, from the scouting reports I read anyway. So he could very well pop up in a year if what is said about kid's KHL contracts is true. Either way nobody we draft at 10 will be in the NHL this season and very likely will not be NHL ready next season either. So the two year KHL deal is moot all things considered. If Pod is there at 10 the only players I'd pass on him for are Hughes, Kakko, Byram, Turcotte and Cozens (Dach is a toss up). 3 of those 5 will be long gone by 10, and personally I think Pod will be gone too.

He's better off playing in an adult league than in the jr leagues in Canada.  Seems it would be an easier transition to the NHL as well.  The KHL season ends much earlier than the NHL, so he might play in Utica for awhile after his contract ends.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Its hard to compare a Dman and forward though, Jost and Newhook have similar size, both play center, similar draft year stats, and Jost's skating is actually pretty good. Jost was also taken 10th overall ironically.   

I want someone better than Jost at 10.

More like a Raantanen, Kopitar, Larkin, Pastranek, Boeser, Sergachev, Chabot, McAvoy, etc. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

I want someone better than Jost at 10.

More like a Raantanen, Kopitar, Larkin, Pastranek, Boeser, Sergachev, Chabot, McAvoy, etc. 

Absolutely.  We definitely need another difference maker to go along with Petey, Bess, Bo, and Quinn.  Podkolzin, Brogerg or Seider?

• Upvote 1

Draft Projection (Final list, I think)

NJD - Hughes

NYR - Kakko
CHI - Turcotte - local kid, they have a lot of d prospects

COL - Dach - desperate need for a legit 2c

LA - Byram - have Kupari, Villardi, Dolan in the pipeline as C. Don't see them going after a W this year with a top 5 pick.

DET - Broberg - already have Larkin, Anthanasiou, Zadina, Veleno and Rasmussen. Need to stock up on d prospects and they love swedes as much as Van does.

BUF - Zegras - I don't see how Buf picks anyone else. He seems like the perfect fit to play with Eichel. Playmaker with elite puck skills.

I'm almost certain that top 7 plays out like above. The next 7 not so sure about but expect something similar to the following:

EDM - Cozens - C/RW to play alongside McDavid

ANA - Boldy- Big bodied skilled winger than can put the puck in the net. They need a little bit of everything but think they aim for a forward with a top 10 pick

VAN - Podkolzin - Its Podk or Krebs for me but Krebs injury does scare me. Podk could be our Malkin, Ovechkin, Kucherov, Tarasenko, Petey- Boes/ Horvat-Podk

PHI - Newhook - set at center, need a fast playmaking winger

MIN - Caufield - With Zucker on the move, Parise getting older, theyre going to need goal scoring. Though they kind of seem to need everything. Havent drafted well in recently

FLA - Krebs - Have a great top 6 that could get better in Free Agency - likely have the patience not to rush him along given his injury

ARI - Kaliyev - High Risk/High Reward. They have Westerlund and Joseph in the pipelines and Chychrun, Ekman-Larsson already with the big club on D already .

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Absolutely.  We definitely need another difference maker to go along with Petey, Bess, Bo, and Quinn.  Podkolzin, Brogerg or Seider?

Not including Jost, Bouchard or Tippett cause it's too early but if you go back as far as the 2000 draft there has been one I repeat ONE  real difference maker taken 10th overall and that's been Rantanen. Shows you how big of a crapshoot picking outside the top 3 really can be.

Edited by Pickly
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Not including Jost, Bouchard or Tippett cause it's too early but if you go back as far as the 2000 draft there has been one I repeat ONE  real difference maker taken 10th overall and that's been Rantanen. Shows you how big of a crapshoot picking outside the top 3 really can be.

I agree, it's a crapshoot this year after Hughes/Kakko/Byram.  But...Barzal, Pasternak, Hertl, Tarasenko..... a few examples of 'difference-maker' type players taken somewhat recently just after the #10 spot that every single team in the top 10 had a chance of getting but passed on for some reason or another. 

We have the choice of every single player not taken in the top 9 spots to hit a home-run with so to speak.  Surely, there's going to be a guy that 5 years from now, people will say he would've been a guaranteed top 2 or 3 pick in any re-draft, just like EP40.  If someone can find that guy - I hope it's JB. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, Seannnp said:

COL - Dach - desperate need for a legit 2c

1 hour ago, Pears said:

I think Colorado goes for a 2C too, but I can’t see them passing an opportunity to take Byram

If I'm COL, I'm taking Byram and packaging Barrie with say one of Jost/Kerfoot for my 2C personally and not worrying about trying to draft him outside of BPA.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Pickly said:

Looking at past drafts is pointless. Each draft is unique and not comparable. These aren’t the same players! 

Secondly, you’re looking at #10 overall only? That makes no sense either, what about players that “could” have been taken? These players went later than 10

Chabot, Boeser, Pastrnak, Debrusk, Barzal, Connor, Etc.  This draft is very deep. At ten of our scouts have done this job we should get a top flight player.

Edited by 18W-40C-6W
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Looking at past drafts is pointless. Each draft is unique and not comparable. These aren’t the same players! 

Secondly, you’re looking at #10 overall only? That makes no sense either, what about players that “could” have been taken? These players went later than 10

Chabot, Boeser, Pastrnak, Debrusk, Barzal, Connor, Etc.  This draft is very deep. At ten of our scouts have done this job we should get a top flight player.

FFS. Noticed how I mentioned JUST the 10th overall and for whatever reason that that 10th selection has been underwhelming for a number of years? Obviously I am well versed on how a draft works and how countless gems have been drafted all throughout the 1st round and every round for that matter. My point was for people NOT to get hung up on the fact that the odds of getting a ‘game changer’ with a 10th overall pick are drastically lower than with a top 3 pick and because on paper this draft is deep doesn’t mean we are getting a top flight player. You hope to but don’t expect it. 

Edited by Pickly

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

I see solid ability to read the play and use his team mates. I don't see the elite puck skills a guy like Zegras or Krebs have (not that he's bad, just not elite). 

The U18's impressed me enough to bump him from late teens to mid teens. I see him as having complimentary 2nd line upside and I think while that's a good player (and I'd be happy to add a later pick and get that), I see higher ceilings than that available at 10.

I see that’s fair thanks for sharing.

i do have Zegras well I’m front of Newhook and Krebs I have close.

allyear Krebs was one of my favorites but I am concerned about his injury and playing in kootney again. Hard to develop in that environment.

7 hours ago, Pete M said:

Zegras could be the Oates in "Hull & Oates", which could equate to "Zegras & Boeser"....if he is still there at 10, then it definitely a pick to consider.

That’s a very appealing idea. Would mean Bo could be an elite 3C moving up to 1C or 2C occasionally with EP doing some work on the wing from time to time. Would make for a crazy top 9 and create all sorts of matchup problems for opponents. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, R3aL said:

allyear Krebs was one of my favorites but I am concerned about his injury and playing in kootney again. Hard to develop in that environment.

Kootney was relocated to Winnipeg for next year, should be a better team. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, R3aL said:

Yeah, until the achilles thing I had Krebs ahead of Zegras and Podkolzin and just after Turcotte. Had to drop him a couple spots unfortunately with the uncertainty. Still have him ahead of some other solid prospects though.