The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

2 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

I stand by what I posted earlier. I hope he is drafted top 9 so Canucks have one more better option at 10.

i really don’t see him as any GMs first choice. IMO GMs are making other plans that don’t include Podkolzin. The Team that will eventually pick him will be a team that didn’t think he would be there.

he is no teams Plan A.

I think if a team has a lot of confidence in their ability to develop raw prospects then I think they would take him quite high, hoping that Detroit grabs him for that reason.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

Thanks for sharing your logic. 

A little rude the first line about the rose coloured glasses.

Gaudette has accomplished a lot to this point to look at his potential optimistically. To cap that because of his draft position is really silly.

you want to trade him because he was a 5th rounder and you think his potential is a 15/20 goal 3C. And that is worth the risk of trading for a 17/18 year old draft pick —> defensive prospect. 

See after players are drsfted their  positional draft pedigree means less and less. Gaudette is at the stage now where it means nothing. He is found money. If he is a 20 goal scorer who impacts games in a positive way on a nightly basis and has upside of more with the ability to slot into the top 6 when we have injuries, or a staple on the second PP unit  this is a valuable player to have.

now if there is a trade for a young dman further ahead in his development than an unproven draft pick I would consider trading Gaudette. Like you said especially with madden looking good and still having sutter and beagle in the roster.

but no I would not trade Gaudette at this draft for late round pick And spin the wheel on a prospect maybe providing more value 2-5 years from now than Gaudette will for sure immediately. I am not assuming Gaudette is going to progress leaps and bounds, he has steadily developed his entire career progressing at a linear pace year after year. Right now it is safe to assume he will continue improving and we have not seen his best yet for sure. 

He hasnt done anything to make me think otherwise. And he showed some flashes in the NHL, forget what game it was but he tie dragged a dman and roofed it. Like he was in college. The kid is adjusting to the timing of the league (the speed), and he needs to be stronger to confidently play his style. 

Since your a gambling man it sounds like. Pre draft pick a prospective trade partner that has a late pick. Pick a prospective d prospect available and let’s see how there careers go? Maybe you’ll be right but in my opinion it’s a pretty big gamble with more exposure to downside than to upside.

Lets not forget Gaudette has the hottest girlfriend/wife of any Canucks player. Thats gotta count for something. 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

On 6/8/2019 at 7:47 PM, WHL rocks said:

We desperately need to add size.  Especially on D..

Big D is the way to go.  We have Hughes as the small skilled play driver. Now time to add some beef. 

Broberg or Sieder appear to be decent guys at our spot.  If Newhook isnt the guy, Krebs is injured, defence is a good a place as any.  

Honestly JB is going to land a good player at 10.  It what else he is going to do that really interests me.  

• Upvote 1

With St Louis coming out on top, and two years in a row now with big, heavy teams coming out on top one has to wonder if the emphasis or pendulum is going to switch back to where it’s always been before the last couple drafts, from speed is king to where guys like Hughes and Boqvist are coveted to a higher degree then Bouchard and even Dobson (who’s also quick but not as quick but has some size too)....

I think it will a little bit and Benning should take Seider if he’s still there if he wants a defenseman or pick Boldy if he wants a top six winger/sniper.   Broberg would be ok too, an eventual Edler replacement possibly.    

Personally like most on this site I was stoked St. Louis fans finally got their cup, if breathes hope into eventually getting our own, of course the best Boston too as a bonus....and even more importantly this playoffs again taught us that overall competency and strong BIG defense and forwards wins series.   Every series they kept pounding away and whittled away their opposition.   

Hope this re-sets things a little after the two PIT cups where speed and skill were considered the new path...yes you need that too, but a balance is better.  We shouldn’t have two small guys and eventually Stetcher has to go.  And adding Tree needs to be a priority.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, IBatch said:

With St Louis coming out on top, and two years in a row now with big, heavy teams coming out on top one has to wonder if the emphasis or pendulum is going to switch back to where it’s always been before the last couple drafts, from speed is king to where guys like Hughes and Boqvist are coveted to a higher degree then Bouchard and even Dobson (who’s also quick but not as quick but has some size too)....

I think it will a little bit and Benning should take Seider if he’s still there if he wants a defenseman or pick Boldy if he wants a top six winger/sniper.   Broberg would be ok too, an eventual Edler replacement possibly.    

Personally like most on this site I was stoked St. Louis fans finally got their cup, if breathes hope into eventually getting our own, of course the best Boston too as a bonus....and even more importantly this playoffs again taught us that overall competency and strong BIG defense and forwards wins series.   Every series they kept pounding away and whittled away their opposition.   

Hope this re-sets things a little after the two PIT cups where speed and skill were considered the new path...yes you need that too, but a balance is better.  We shouldn’t have two small guys and eventually Stetcher has to go.  And adding Tree needs to be a priority.  

It's a false narrative IMO.

Guys with speed and skill are going to go high regardless. Why wouldn't they? If they also have size, all the better. 'Quinn Hughes' with another few inches and 20+ lbs would likely have gone first (if not, then 2nd) overall though, not 7th.

Teams aren't phobic of size in reality, they're simply no longer taking big guys who can't also skate and have at least decent puck skills and IQ like they used to.

Nobody's taking the small, really skilled guy who can't skate either. 

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

If my personal rankings are any indication (:lol:) you won't have to worry much about them. I'm guessing we're picking between Dach, Boldy, Cozens and whichever D the Canucks have ranked highest if we stay at 10. So you'll likely only have Boldy to 'worry'about ;) 

If we get to pick between Dach, Boldy and Cozens, we will have had a very good draft.  Dach and Cozens have been between 3-6 on rankings all year.  I think Benning's head will pop off if he gets one of those 2.  But we'll see.  His team always knows what they want.

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, Alflives said:

Holland would have to add more than just trading first rounders with us. 

I think the simplest trade and one that Holland would go for is the following simply because he takes on no additional salary and does not give up a very important top 10 pick. Holland keeps his 1st. We get a 2nd and Poolparty and a chance at a player like Turcotte, Dach, Cozens that may drop and who I feel are in the 2nd tier of players along with Byram with the 8thOA. If none of those players are available, we have the option of trading down 3 to 4 spots and still remain in the top 12. If at 12 we still have a few players that we like, why not trade down to 14th or 15th and pick up yet another additional asset. Not sure if this has happened at the draft before but could help us pick up multiple picks whilst still picking a player we like and need. We could ask Lucic to waive his NMC at the expansion draft as its quite doubtful Seattle picks him up. A conversation would need to be had with Seattle to get Lucic to agree.

8th OA, 38th OA, Pujuljarvi, Lucic

for 10th OA

We could then trade down to 11 or 12 for an additional 2nd rounder as well.

8thOA to Phi

for 11thOA and 41OA.

Trade down further from here for an additional 2nd If JB still feels like he can go down further and get the player he wants

At this points, see who is left. If there are multiple options offer up the 11thOA for the 14thOA or 15thOA and pick up another 2nd. I would not want to pick any lower than 15th. With the surprises we have had in the last two years, I would expect 1 or 2 to be selected off the board which would put the 5-12 players in the 7-14 range and still give us a shot a very good player and additional 2nds. I think to move up 3-4 spots in the 1st round, is minimum a 2nd rounder.

We would then have 11, 38, 40, 41

Nehwook/Krebs/Seider at 11

Leason, Foote, Thompson, Korczak, Afanasyev, Tracey. We could end up walking away with 3 players in the 2nd.

If we could walk away with Krebs, Leason, Thompson and Korczak, it will have been an extremely good day for us at the draft.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Seannnp said:

I think the simplest trade and one that Holland would go for is the following simply because he takes on no additional salary and does not give up a very important top 10 pick. Holland keeps his 1st. We get a 2nd and Poolparty and a chance at a player like Turcotte, Dach, Cozens that may drop and who I feel are in the 2nd tier of players along with Byram with the 8thOA. If none of those players are available, we have the option of trading down 3 to 4 spots and still remain in the top 12. If at 12 we still have a few players that we like, why not trade down to 14th or 15th and pick up yet another additional asset. Not sure if this has happened at the draft before but could help us pick up multiple picks whilst still picking a player we like and need. We could ask Lucic to waive his NMC at the expansion draft as its quite doubtful Seattle picks him up. A conversation would need to be had with Seattle to get Lucic to agree.

8th OA, 38th OA, Pujuljarvi, Lucic

for 10th OA

We could then trade down to 11 or 12 for an additional 2nd rounder as well.

8thOA to Phi

for 11thOA and 41OA.

Trade down further from here for an additional 2nd If JB still feels like he can go down further and get the player he wants

At this points, see who is left. If there are multiple options offer up the 11thOA for the 14thOA or 15thOA and pick up another 2nd. I would not want to pick any lower than 15th. With the surprises we have had in the last two years, I would expect 1 or 2 to be selected off the board which would put the 5-12 players in the 7-14 range and still give us a shot a very good player and additional 2nds. I think to move up 3-4 spots in the 1st round, is minimum a 2nd rounder.

We would then have 11, 38, 40, 41

Nehwook/Krebs/Seider at 11

Leason, Foote, Thompson, Korczak, Afanasyev, Tracey. We could end up walking away with 3 players in the 2nd.

If we could walk away with Krebs, Leason, Thompson and Korczak, it will have been an extremely good day for us at the draft.

I like your thinking.  Can we afford to have both Loui and Milan on our team?  

12 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

sorry for sounding harsh... my post is about my thoughts of Podkolzin. 

Where are highlights from this season. Oh wait he doesn’t have any. One good tournament from last year against boys which is the source of all 4 of his highlights.

i wouldn’t be surprised if Podkolzin isn’t drafted in the top 20. I don’t see any GMs having him as there 1st choice. He’s more like their 3rd or 4th choice. Once he’s still not drafted by #12 the Dman will start being drafted before him.

Even the Goalie Knight will probably be drafted ahead of Podkolzin IMO.

i really really hope he is drafted top 9 so it opens up another player at 10.

But unfortunately I’m pretty sure he won’t be.

I read somewhere very recently that Bob Mckenzie's list this year which is an average of the rankings of 10 different scouts has Podkolzin in the top 5. The scouts are seeing something youre not with all due respect. He is one of the most skilled guys in the draft but what sets him apart is his compete level is 2nd to none. Now that's the type of player I want in the playoffs. Think of Horvat with better tools.

I wonder what the consensus is about Leason.  I like him, but there is always that fear of him being an overage draft pick and those rarely work out.  If he dropped to us in the second round, would you want him over a RHD?  is he worth the risk?  I didn't see him play enough to know.

10 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Sorry If I didn't pick myself a pair of rose colored glasses. Yes Gaudette is improving, and he has graduated from the AHL. Too good? I wouldn't go that far, but definetly he can play in the bigs. He's shown flashes that he is a big league player, but do you see him supplanting Petterson, or Horvat anytime soon? Do you see him have 30 - 40 goal potential? Im being realistic with Gaudette, the fact that hes probably going to be an every night player is already a win from being a 5th rounder. He's probably a 20 goal scorer down the line, if he scores more, thats great, but from what I've seen, I don't see it yet.

Would I trade him for a lottery pick like a late first rounder? Absolutely. Those prospects are 1st rounders for a reason, ie: they have higher ceilings, I'll take a chance with a player that potentially be a superstar. What pick was Brock Boeser again? EXACTLY. Im not saying that the pick is going to be a guaranteed star or even a very good player, but they're pedigree says they have a better chance to be one. As much you, me and others think we know better than the scouts, the sad reality is we don't, If Gaudette was going to be a superstar he could've gotten a lot higher than where he was picked. If he turns out to be one, great, but theres a reason why he was drafted late.

I like Gaudette and he is a solid player, Im not sure he's all star calibre from what Ive seen at least, but thats already a compliment to him that already theres a debate that he's already worth a 1st rounder, at least with us, coming from being picked in the 5th round? Thats pretty damn good. Add to the fact theres a similar player down the pipeline (Madden), and our need for young D-men, I'll take the late 1st rounder.

I'll pose this question to you, what if Gaudette is just a regular NHLer thats just a 10-15 goal guy, thats has a Markus Granlund esque career, would you regret not taking that late first rounder? You can't also just assume that Gaudette is going to be progressing leaps and bounds

Cant have a team full of stars. Need balanced play and role players. St.Louis should have shown everyone that this year.

What sets Gaudette apart from that late 1st you would trade him for is this guy as a 5th round pick was already counted out and not expected to make the NHL. His work ethic, determination, and willingness to improve all areas of his game to play 56 games with the big club in his first year as pro is the reason why I keep him around. With those traits, there is no telling what he will end up as.

We have Petey, Boes, Hughes, Demko, Horvat - all players that will be stars in the league for a long time and will command the salaries to match. If we, hypothetically, got another Boeser by trading away Gaudette, we will end up top heavy with no depth, no role players to play the dirty game and likely with no cap space.

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I like your thinking.  Can we afford to have both Loui and Milan on our team?  

I think for the time being yes. Once Loui's bonus gets paid, believe it or not but his value goes up. He is only owed 9 million over the next 3 years but will have a cap of 6 million which will be good for cap floor teams. He showed well at the worlds and maybe he finds his offensive ability again. If he doesn't, his value is a little bit better than it was last year because of the bonus.

I think most people on here are scared of the ramifications of not only the salary cap but the expansion as well. Not sure how many business owners are in here but Ive run several failed and successful businesses in my time. There is ALWAYS a solution to a problem and I literally mean ALWAYS. Our hockey operations will find it difficult but they will find a way to protect our team and the cap when needed. With the expansion, we could agree to terms with Seattle that we will offer a 2nd or a 3rd pick or whatever for them to pick up a specific player and based on that ask Lucic to waive his NMC. Seattle takes our pick, picks someone else, and leaves Lucic. No more problem.

There is a lot of salary that is to come off our books. Edler, Tanev, Baertschi, hopefully Eriksson, Schaller, Granlund, etc. Just by getting rid of the redundancy on the team and moving players that no longer fit the identity of the team offers us enough cap relief. Not to mention, the cap likely goes up again next year and the year after that. I see Pettersson as the only one that gets a 9+million contract. Even if Hughes has a good showing, I think he signs for 7 million max. That's two years from now. Even if we decide to keep Eriksson, he will only have 1 year left, 3 million in actualy salary and 6 million cap hit. That contract becomes increasingly moveable every year, especially for cap floor teams.

• Like 2

Here’s my worst case scenario: 

1) Hughes 

2) Kakko 

3) Byram 

4) Turcotte 

5) Dach 

6) Boldy 

7) Zegras 

8) Podz 

9) Cozens 

Even then, we have a choice of Seider, Soderstrom, Newhook, etc. Any of Zegras, Newhook, Podz, Turcotte (if he falls) would be amazing. 

I wonder if Benning wants Turcotte as a 2C to play with Boeser and Zucker, and he wants to trade up to get it?

Ferland(?) - Petey - Virtanen 

Zucker - Turcotte - Boeser 

Roussel - Horvat - Grewe (please) 

Tryamkin (maybe?) - Hughes 

OJ - Woo 

Hutton - Stetcher 

That top 9 is rather amazing, maybe Petey can revitalize Virt?

13 minutes ago, Stamkos said:

Here’s my worst case scenario: 

1) Hughes 

2) Kakko 

3) Byram 

4) Turcotte 

5) Dach 

6) Boldy 

7) Zegras 

8) Podz 

9) Cozens 

Even then, we have a choice of Seider, Soderstrom, Newhook, etc. Any of Zegras, Newhook, Podz, Turcotte (if he falls) would be amazing. 

I wonder if Benning wants Turcotte as a 2C to play with Boeser and Zucker, and he wants to trade up to get it?

Ferland(?) - Petey - Virtanen 

Zucker - Turcotte - Boeser 

Roussel - Horvat - Grewe (please) 

Tryamkin (maybe?) - Hughes 

OJ - Woo 

Hutton - Stetcher 

That top 9 is rather amazing, maybe Petey can revitalize Virt?

If Broberg is there at 10 JB takes him.

Why would we play Bo at the three spot?  He's clearly one of the top match-up second line guys in the league now. 

Jake will play with Petey and Bess next season.  That's a good prediction on your part.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

If Broberg is there at 10 JB takes him.

Sadly, I agree :( in your words, I think he’s a bustaroo

Why would we play Bo at the three spot?  He's clearly one of the top match-up second line guys in the league now. 

I agree. Instead of a first, second and third line, we’ll have 2 first lines and a second. It’d be nightmare-ish for an opposing coach to try and stop three scoring lines like that. 

Jake will play with Petey and Bess next season.  That's a good prediction on your part.  

I hope he can pot a few and be a real enforcer and agitator. Like Burr without the cheap crap

3 minutes ago, Stamkos said:

Sadly, I agree :( in your words, I think he’s a bustaroo

I agree. Instead of a first, second and third line, we’ll have 2 first lines and a second. It’d be nightmare-ish for an opposing coach to try and stop three scoring lines like that. 

I hope he can pot a few and be a real enforcer and agitator. Like Burr without the cheap crap

Instead of Broberg, what about Seider?