The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

This guys an ox, regularly playing 30 plus minutes without missing games to injury. Not only does he have size he’s strong too, top ten in pull-ups in the combine and he’s not a 5’7 150lb guy who usually fills the top ten... maybe his IQ is so good he doesn’t need to waste energy... and because he plays so many shifts he’s conserving energy.   Dobson’s a great skater as we all know,  but Bouchard is a better backwards skater in a head it head evaluation last year pre-draft comparison.  Also the scouts gave his overall skating  a 4 out of five for skating last year, Dobson a 4.5...average NHL speed is considered a 3...which is exactly what Woo was given (in this particular way of evaluating).  

Maybe he’s smart enough to know when to skate fast and when to stay in position?  His skating isn’t as bad as people make it out to be...

If he was our prospect we’d be supporting him like crazy.  He’s not so he should go f)&k himself ha ha.   

Hughes is projected to be the better player so Benning did it again...but it doesn’t mean he won’t also turn into a good or even great player in EDM, he certainly has the tools for it.

Exaclty!  He's not ours, so (until he is) I'm cheering madly for him to bustaroo, and will point out his faults to the max.  I'm a Canuck's fan first and foremost.  Why the heck wouldn't I hate the other teams' prospects, and want them to fail?  I want us to be the best, and win the Cup!  :towel:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Exaclty!  He's not ours, so (until he is) I'm cheering madly for him to bustaroo, and will point out his faults to the max.  I'm a Canuck's fan first and foremost.  Why the heck wouldn't I hate the other teams' prospects, and want them to fail?  I want us to be the best, and win the Cup!  :towel:

Your commitment to our guys is commendable.    Same with Apollo.  Let’s say it now Hughes will be the best there ever was, there ever is, and there ever will be...Bouchard will Bogasian himself out of the league ha ha 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Your commitment to our guys is commendable.    Same with Apollo.  Let’s say it now Hughes will be the best there ever was, there ever is, and there ever will be...Bouchard will Bogasian himself out of the league ha ha 

How great will it be if Hughes does have the spirit of Brett "The Hitman" Hart?  Love the "Hart Foundation". :gocan:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

How great will it be if Hughes does have the spirit of Brett "The Hitman" Hart?  Love the "Hart Foundation". :gocan:

I think he does.  Takes a special player to play defense in that body with guys telling him he will never make it along the way.  Same with Johnsson and Gourde.   Has  there ever been an undersized guy in the league that didn’t have a ton of heart?  Not that I can think of ... shades of St Louis but on defense.. His competitiveness is off the charts.  He could have played and done fine right off the hop but wanted to stay with his team and win a championship.  Gotta love that ...  much rather have a guy on the team like that then a 6’5” Pyatt type any day.  Can’t wait to see his elbows come up and his stick once he gets challenged...my bet is he’s going to create some space and end up playing with and edge...bash a few guys with the lumber and they will think twice before pushing him around...and eventually he will be so good players will respect that and keep it clean.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I think he does.  Takes a special player to play defense in that body with guys telling him he will never make it along the way.  Same with Johnsson and Gourde.   Has  there ever been an undersized guy in the league that didn’t have a ton of heart?  Not that I can think of ... shades of St Louis but on defense.. His competitiveness is off the charts.  He could have played and done fine right off the hop but wanted to stay with his team and win a championship.  Gotta love that ...  much rather have a guy on the team like that then a 6’5” Pyatt type any day.  Can’t wait to see his elbows come up and his stick once he gets challenged...my bet is he’s going to create some space and end up playing with and edge...bash a few guys with the lumber and they will think twice before pushing him around...and eventually he will be so good players will respect that and keep it clean.

I don't expect Hughes to ever fight, but I wonder if he is taking some boxing just in case?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

There's zero chance Seider drops to 40. 

Zero.

I mean, he says in his post that he doesn't think Seider will drop to 40. It's just more likely for him to drop that far than for someone to take him as high as 10. Which honestly is a pretty fair take. I know CDC is in love with his size and his showing at World's but pretty much nobody, at least that I have seen have him ranked higher than 15.

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

What about the ISS, McKenzie and THN etc...I noticed you only went with guys that had him low ha ha.  

Mckenzies not a scout. His list is based on a compiling of what he hears from other GMs. And he had Bouchard at 7. 

Ryan Kennedy at THN also had him at 7. 

ISS was the scouting one scouting service that had him at 6th. 

So im not quite sure where you are getting this idea that he was predicted to go 6th unless you were putting all your stock into one scouting service. 

That’s ok pretty much all those guys were all over the board including Hughes, Dobson and Boqvist.  I prefer to go with the scouts themselves and organizations that ask a group of scouts to rank them (THN had him at 6, second best behind Dahlin)

Nope. They had him 7th, 4th d taken after dahlin, boqvist and hughes. 

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/final-2018-draft-rankings-these-go-to-120

and the ISS who’s jobs is to make the rankings based on scouts, rather then media types that use their gut but don’t actually spend the time to evaluate them (pro scouts do).

ISS has pettersson at 20th and liljegren at 8th. in 2017. You probably shouldn’t be putting all your marbles into them. 

https://www.isshockey.com/iss-hockey-releases-final-rankings-in-2017-nhl-draft-guide/

You’re putting way to much emphasis in that list.  Craig button doesn’t even have Bouchard is the top 50. 

https://www.tsn.ca/top-50-nhl-affiliated-prospects-1.1241869%3ftsn-amp

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Mckenzies not a scout. His list is based on a compiling of what he hears from other GMs. And he had Bouchard at 7. 

So im not quite sure where you are getting this idea that he was predicted to go 6th unless you were putting all your stock into one scouting service. 

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/final-2018-draft-rankings-these-go-to-120

ISS has pettersson at 20th and liljegren at 8th. in 2017. You probably shouldn’t be putting all your marbles into them. 

https://www.isshockey.com/iss-hockey-releases-final-rankings-in-2017-nhl-draft-guide/

You’re putting way to much emphasis in that list.  Craig button doesn’t even have Bouchard is the top 50. 

The hockey guys, especially scouts, know the game pretty darned well.  Button was a scout and GM.  He watches a lot of the kids play, and does have a good feeling for what guys could become.  I remember in Jake's draft Button hit the nail pretty much on the head.  

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I mean, he says in his post that he doesn't think Seider will drop to 40. It's just more likely for him to drop that far than for someone to take him as high as 10. Which honestly is a pretty fair take. I know CDC is in love with his size and his showing at World's but pretty much nobody, at least that I have seen have him ranked higher than 15.

https://www.hockeyprospect.com/hockeyprospect-com-final-2019-nhl-draft-top-31-ranking/ - 10th

http://www.sportsology.com/2019-nhl-draft-my-top-31-version-2-0/ - 9th (but Soderstrom 8th)

Seider might drop to the 20s, but there's no way he's getting out of the 1st round. It's not just because he's good, but because there are so few RHDs with consensus 1st round talent - it's just Seider and Soderstrom. Honka and Thomson are considered a tier down, so it's not likely that a team will reach for one of them before the first 2 are gone.

Edited by D-Money
  • Cheers 2

19 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Russ Cohen - 9th. 

Hockey Prospect - 10th

A bunch of other services have him around 15+/-

I don't think it's a fair take at all.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The hockey guys, especially scouts, know the game pretty darned well.  Button was a scout and GM.  He watches a lot of the kids play, and does have a good feeling for what guys could become.  I remember in Jake's draft Button hit the nail pretty much on the head.  

And we all trashed him for it. We look like fools now.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Well that’s hilarious considering I’m print THN had him at 6...guess they changed their minds?  We could do this all day...instead I see your handle and get reminded how NaslundtheGreat lost his Art Ross trophy to ForsbergtheGreat with a couple games left every time I see your handle...  whatever just go argue with somebody else you don’t agree with.

edit: BTW ISS is or IS the actual scouting service.  The rest is noise and media personalities.   With the exception of the THN who also actually uses real scouts to determine the rankings.  And yes I hold them above the talking heads for that reason.

Edited by IBatch

25 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

There aren't many who have Seider that high, but there are a few:

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2019-nhl-draft/2019-nhl-draft-rankings/

1 minute ago, 73 Percent said:

Puck skills, skating, hockey IQ, compete, and size.  I don't know which is more important, but clearly top guys need a blend of all, especially in the playoffs.   

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Fanuck said:

There aren't many who have Seider that high, but there are a few:

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2019-nhl-draft/2019-nhl-draft-rankings/

Imagine Seider does fall to 40.  It's not going to happen, of course (guy is going in the top 15 for sure), but it's fun to dream.  Kind of like dreaming we might win the draft lottery!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I mean, he misses more than he hits but hey. He was largely right about Jake. I don't think even in hindsight Jake is a 2nd round talent though, which is what Button said I am pretty sure.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I mean, he misses more than he hits but hey. He was largely right about Jake. I don't think even in hindsight Jake is a 2nd round talent though, which is what Button said I am pretty sure.

Ya there is a good chance Jake plays over 800 games in the NHL good enough for a mid - late first round pick for sure