The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

3 hours ago, We Are All Cucks said:

His name has come up a couple times in these threads, but I am wondering what people's thoughts are on Arthur Kaliyev. Anybody know why he isn't as highly regarded as he was at the start of the season? 

He's recently been ranked 7th for NA skaters and 13th OA by ISS, but most have him in the 20-30 range. Back in October, Button had him at 10 (https://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-kakko-boldy-and-kaliyev-rise-up-draft-rankings-1.1196164).

Wot's the deal? Just too many good players?

Every aspect of his game that isn't putting the puck in the net is a total red flag. He has a low compete level, he's lazy, not a good skater, he's one dimensional, he is invisible for 90% of the game. You ever look at Reid Boucher's stat lines in the AHL and wonder why he can't get it going at the NHL level? Then you actually watch him play and it all makes sense? That is Arthur Kaliyev. Think Reid Boucher with Goldobin's character.

P.S. I have absolutely nothing against Reid Boucher. He is a great guy and I'd love it if we could keep him in our farm system. I just have no desire to draft a comparable player in the top 10. I think we are starting to cultivate a really great culture on this team that is led by our young core. While we need to draft BPA, I think it is nearly if not equally as important that we draft guys that fit with that culture. You think Green butt heads with Goldobin? If we draft Kaliyev, instead of presenting him with a jersey, they might as well give him his own custom press box seat.... That's where he'd be spending all of his time.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, 3rdGenCanuck said:

Every aspect of his game that isn't putting the puck in the net is a total red flag. He has a low compete level, he's lazy, not a good skater, he's one dimensional, he is invisible for 90% of the game. You ever look at Reid Boucher's stat lines in the AHL and wonder why he can't get it going at the NHL level? Then you actually watch him play and it all makes sense? That is Arthur Kaliyev. Think Reid Boucher with Goldobin's character.

P.S. I have absolutely nothing against Reid Boucher. He is a great guy and I'd love it if we could keep him in our farm system. I just have no desire to draft a comparable player in the top 10. I think we are starting to cultivate a really great culture on this team that is led by our young core. While we need to draft BPA, I think it is nearly if not equally as important that we draft guys that fit with that culture. You think Green butt heads with Goldobin? If we draft Kaliyev, instead of presenting him with a jersey, they might as well give him his own custom press box seat.... That's where he'd be spending all of his time.

Fair enough. Thanks for the response. I wasn't promoting him, but was just legit curious.

I did a little reading after my post, and it basically corroborated everything you said (though, not quite as entertainingly). At first look, he seemed intriguing, with a lot of skill. Unfortunately that skill is one dimensional...though...what a dimension! 

So basically, a team takes a flyer on him in the late first/second round, hoping they have some sort of "Kaliyev whisperer" who can bring his skill to the forefront, and send the rest of the package into remission

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, We Are All Cucks said:

Fair enough. Thanks for the response. I wasn't promoting him, but was just legit curious.

I did a little reading after my post, and it basically corroborated everything you said (though, not quite as entertainingly). At first look, he seemed intriguing, with a lot of skill. Unfortunately that skill is one dimensional...though...what a dimension! 

So basically, a team takes a flyer on him in the late first/second round, hoping they have some sort of "Kaliyev whisperer" who can bring his skill to the forefront, and send the rest of the package into remission

The intrigue is 100% warranted. His ceiling is sky high, but there is no other prospect rated in the first round that has as many hurdles to jump in order to approach that ceiling. In that sense he is very similar to Ryan Merkley of last years draft. I'd expect him to get drafted in a similar position too, likely in the 18 to 25 range. Could go a tad higher if a team is confident they can fix him as you mentioned, could fall right out of the first if he totally bombed interviews.

4 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

The exact reasons why a franchise wouldn't take a risk on a guy like AK is why I think JB/Green might be interested in Krebs if available at the 10 spot. 

He's everything Kaliyev isn't - a great skater, reliable in every zone, impossible to out-work anywhere on the ice, and has had to work for everything he's accomplished in Major Junior hockey.  Anything Krebs can't do (average size, pass-first mentality, face-off ability are his supposed weaknesses) - is easily addressed through either committed training and/or targeted coaching.  I read one report from a respected scout indicating that Krebs took the entire ICE team on his back and refused to let them be complacent as the 'last placed team that wasn't supposed to do well' for TWO complete seasons.  This is a guy you want on your team and the kind of player you ultimately win with in the end.  His injury is a non-factor for me when you look at his drive/work ethic - he'll easily recover from this and be a better player. 

Krebs would be a very, very difficult pass if available at 10 and makes the weaknesses in a guy like AK that much more exposed imo. 

Couldn't agree more. The achilles injury scares me a little bit, but I would love Krebs at 10. There are many guys that I would be okay with us picking at 10, but the 4 realistic options I would be most excited about are in no particular order; Krebs, Zegras, Boldy, and Newhook. My ranking of those 4 guys changes almost daily haha!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, 3rdGenCanuck said:

Couldn't agree more. The achilles injury scares me a little bit, but I would love Krebs at 10. There are many guys that I would be okay with us picking at 10, but the 4 realistic options I would be most excited about are in no particular order; Krebs, Zegras, Boldy, and Newhook. My ranking of those 4 guys changes almost daily haha!

I'm leaning Krebs or one of the available D (Borberg/Seider/Soderstrom).  I don't like Newhook, never have - and I've watched him live many, many times in regular season and playoffs.  Difficult comparison because of the different leagues - but imo Krebs and Newhook - while not the same, do have similar caliber skill-sets (similar caliber, not the same skill-set) which both translate to the NHL well.  The huge difference is actually in the intangibles - work ethic, leadership, drive, determination.....in these areas Krebs is far, far superior than Newhook in my view. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Fanuck said:

I'm leaning Krebs or one of the available D (Borberg/Seider/Soderstrom).  I don't like Newhook, never have - and I've watched him live many, many times in regular season and playoffs.  Difficult comparison because of the different leagues - but imo Krebs and Newhook - while not the same, do have similar caliber skill-sets (similar caliber, not the same skill-set) which both translate to the NHL well.  The huge difference is actually in the intangibles - work ethic, leadership, drive, determination.....in these areas Krebs is far, far superior than Newhook in my view. 

any idea on the timeline for recovery with Krebs injury? there has to be a bit of hesitation drafting a player who is injured, it will impact his development for the upcoming season. Good thing is he is probly 2 years away from attempting to make the team anyway at minimum

On 6/10/2019 at 11:56 PM, RowdyCanuck said:

How is Boldy perfect? I get he has the hockey iq and hands and can shoot the puck but he doesn't really create space out there for other to work....sounds kinda like a soft top line...not butter soft but soft

He grew late so, his size and strength is pretty new. That's a pretty easy skill to develop

4 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

any idea on the timeline for recovery with Krebs injury? there has to be a bit of hesitation drafting a player who is injured, it will impact his development for the upcoming season. Good thing is he is probly 2 years away from attempting to make the team anyway at minimum

His injury/recovery status is not fully clear yet as it will depend on the actual results of the recent surgery he had.  Timeline for his recovery is expected sometime this week.

That said, it is reported that this injury/recovery will have almost no impact on his long-term development, so as you mention, 2 years before he impacts an NHL roster his injury will be long-past in the rear view mirror. 

https://www.nhl.com/news/peyton-krebs-injury-2019-nhl-draft-in-question/c-307837760

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

The exact reasons why a franchise wouldn't take a risk on a guy like AK is why I think JB/Green might be interested in Krebs if available at the 10 spot. 

He's everything Kaliyev isn't - a great skater, reliable in every zone, impossible to out-work anywhere on the ice, and has had to work for everything he's accomplished in Major Junior hockey.  Anything Krebs can't do (average size, pass-first mentality, face-off ability are his supposed weaknesses) - is easily addressed through either committed training and/or targeted coaching.  I read one report from a respected scout indicating that Krebs took the entire ICE team on his back and refused to let them be complacent as the 'last placed team that wasn't supposed to do well' for TWO complete seasons.  This is a guy you want on your team and the kind of player you ultimately win with in the end.  His injury is a non-factor for me when you look at his drive/work ethic - he'll easily recover from this and be a better player. 

Krebs would be a very, very difficult pass if available at 10 and makes the weaknesses in a guy like AK that much more exposed imo. 

:wub:

54 minutes ago, 3rdGenCanuck said:

On a 'good' note, his injury might help ensure he actually slips to us at 10. I had him at 5 before his injury and still have him at 7 after it.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

9 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

. A guy like Caufield?  His stats, no doubt, are inflated by who he played with.  Not just Hughes, but also Turcotte, Boldy, Zegras 

So he'd be off the charts if on a line with Petey and Boeser, is that what you are saying?

9 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Yes the discussion is late first rounder, It could be Dobson, or anybody, better example Thomas Harley on this years draft. Dobson has had ONE season more development under his belt compared to the imaginary first rounder we are debating about. I can understand what youre saying that yes, take a Dman further along, like Jake Bean whos had a full season in A and even got a look up in the bigs. What Im trying to get at is that whether its Dobson, Harley, or York, would you not want another pick to get the latter 2? All those guys are unproven in the American League, let alone the NHL, but have a ton of upside, but there is a risk yes, but every player does.

Im just of the mind if you're getting offered a late first rounder for a player on your roster, the guy that you have has to be not only one of your core players, but have the upside, the numbers to back it up, let alone from a first year 5th rounder. Ive seen 90% of the games this season and I can probably count in one hand how many times Gaudette was one of the better players on the ice.

I don't really put much stock on hobey baker winners, its about a 50/50 shot they'll be either really good or meh players, they arent guaranteed stars

I think we understand each other.

if they trade Gaudette for a d prospect or dmen we will be sure to be getting someone back our team is very very high on for it to make sense regardless.

4 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

D8_yFXCVAAM8aT5.jpg

You have $20, make your roster. 

Tracey - Hughes - Grewe 

Byram - Seider

Kotchetkov