The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

9 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

So, the question came to me after reading Ossi's little game, that "IF" these players hold somewhat the same values as posted, then are we looking at the draft eligible players correctly?

In Ossi's game, there are 3 players that are ranked "5"s                Hughes, Kakko, and Byram...………..all of which are Number ones in their positions

Looking at the "4" Turcotte, Zegras, Caufield, Podkolzin, Boldy, Krebs, Soderstrom, Seider, Heinola, Knight (better add Newhook, Dach, Cozens, and Broberg to this list.)

That is 14 players that are somewhat parallel in the ranking

Who are the other best of position players?       LW....Boldy, RHD.....Seider, G......Knight

So I wonder, of that #4 group,

- who comes down the wing and beats Seider, one on one, or who can fool Seider to over commit?

- what winger plays Boldy head to head, and wins on a consistent basis?

- does Knight steal sure goals from any of the other scorers, on a regular basis?

I only ask this because, I wonder going forward, if we are not better to use Best at Position, as "one" of the deciding factors, when every thing else is more or less even?

I accept that there will be players, such as Dach, Cozens, Zegras, Caufield and Podkolzin, who's talent, just over-rides that thought, but if they are already taken, and Benning is sifting through the rest of the #4 type players, if that is not very high in the decision factor? 

For me, making my prospect list from the rest of the players, is some what squed and it confuses me, somewhat, as my choice of the rest is somewhat off the board...….

#1. Seider

#2. Boldy

#3. Soderstrom

#4. Krebs

#5. Newhook

Any of these 5, I would be happy with, but god!, putting Seider up that high on my list, really scares me...……..

I am so undecided this year, and it changes so regularly...……..

Just wondering, are many of you are considering Seider as well, or is he further down your list?

I have him pretty high on my list. Probably anywhere between 12-14 but would be fine if we selected him at 10. The difference between 10-12 is so miniscule that if you truely believed in this player then you would have no qualms selecting him at 10. Not to mention if he reached his ceiling his value would be a lot higher than all the forwards you would be selecting in his place.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

For me, making my prospect list from the rest of the players, is some what squed and it confuses me, somewhat, as my choice of the rest is somewhat off the board...….

#1. Seider

#2. Boldy

#3. Soderstrom

#4. Krebs

#5. Newhook

Any of these 5, I would be happy with, but god!, putting Seider up that high on my list, really scares me...……..

I am so undecided this year, and it changes so regularly...……..

Just wondering, are many of you are considering Seider as well, or is he further down your list?

Your not the only one, I can definitely relate to that.

I have a group of 7 guys from #9-15 that includes Newhook, Krebs, Zegras, Soderstrom, Seider, Broberg, & Caufield. And Im really struggling to rank them.

I really like Newhook, but I also don't view the forwards as having definite top line upside (besides Caufield who's small & 1 dimensiona. Which opens to door for a defenseman to jump ahead, because I think all of those guys could be #3-4 defenseman, or maybe even #2 as an absolute ceiling.

And even then, which order do I rank the D?

Broberg has the best tools, but Soderstrom & Seider are RHD. Soderstrom is the smallest, but plays against the toughest competition. I'm really struggling ranking the D let alone deciding which ones I'd take over which forwards. This group is giving me fits.

But to answer your question on Seider, I'm considering him for sure but he'll probably be 11-15 range for me.

I think he'd be a great fit for us, I do like him. But I'd definitely prefer to trade down a few spots & take him because at 10 there'll probably be someone with a higher ceiling available.

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Your not the only one, I can definitely relate to that.

I have a group of 7 guys from #9-15 that includes Newhook, Krebs, Zegras, Soderstrom, Seider, Broberg, & Caufield. And Im really struggling to rank them.

I really like Newhook, but I also don't view the forwards as having definite top line upside (besides Caufield who's small & 1 dimensiona. Which opens to door for a defenseman to jump ahead, because I think all of those guys could be #3-4 defenseman, or maybe even #2 as an absolute ceiling.

And even then, which order do I rank the D?

Broberg has the best tools, but Soderstrom & Seider are RHD. Soderstrom is the smallest, but plays against the toughest competition. I'm really struggling ranking the D let alone deciding which ones I'd take over which forwards. This group is giving me fits.

But to answer your question on Seider, I'm considering him for sure but he'll probably be 11-15 range for me.

I think he'd be a great fit for us, I do like him. But I'd definitely prefer to trade down a few spots & take him because at 10 there'll probably be someone with a higher ceiling available.

The problem with trading down is it is almost certain that Philly will take one of the RHDs at 12. It's by far their organization's weakest position (perhaps their only one. However, this is assuming Philly doesn't trade the pick.)

So depending on how many picks you trade down, you'd be at the mercy of the other teams not to take the other. And there really is only 2 - after Seider/Soder the next RHDs are a tier down, and probably not worth more than a late 1st.

If the Canucks believe they need a RHD, and talent-wise no F stands out above them, they're better off taking one at #10. But if they also feel it's a mixed bag, and don't like Seider/Soder enough to jump at one, maybe they will trade down to see if they fall. If they don't, maybe they'll go for a RHD with their 2nd, or even the extra pick they got for trading down.

Edited by D-Money
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

WANT

- Seider

- Boldy

- Krebs

O.K. WITH

- Söderström

- Podkolzin

- Newhook

- Dach

- Zegras

DON'T WANT

- Broberg

- Caufield

- Kaliyev

Following this format:

WANT:

-Zegras

-Seider

-Boldy

OK WITH:

Everybody else

DONT WANT:

-Soderstorm

-Kaliyev

This might be one of the only drafts where I could care less who we draft.

Edited by Odd.
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Following this format:

WANT:

-Zegras

-Seider

-Boldy

OK WITH:

Everybody else

DONT WANT:

-Soderstorm

-Kaliyev

This might be one of the only drafts where I could care less who we draft.

Agree....

there are so many good possibilities... who will end up being the better down the road, and who may bust. 

We need RHD but also need top 6 players at forward positions. 

So whom ever JB think may have the best career of the players left at 10 will do me just fine... 

Edited by spook007

22 minutes ago, 3rdGenCanuck said:

https://www.tsn.ca/americans-set-to-dominate-first-round-of-the-nhl-draft-1.1323878

Bob McKenzie's final consensus draft rankings are out.

Seider has moved up considerably from low 20s to 15 which is an average so some teams probably have him as high as 10 and others as low as 20. Also interesting there is a run of 5 defensemen in a row which means they are interchangeable based on what a team believes.

Assuming Mckenzies rankings are the most accurate in terms of a mock draft my choices would be as follows

1st - Zegras/Seider/Caufield

2nd - Nicholas Robertson -> rated much higher on most scouting services and in my opinion is gonna be a Brendan Gallagher mold

3rd - Pavel Dorofeyev -> would be criminal to not pick him up here if he is still available ..a second round talent for sure

5 minutes ago, TGokou said:

Seider has moved up considerably from low 20s to 15 which is an average so some teams probably have him as high as 10 and others as low as 20. Also interesting there is a run of 5 defensemen in a row which means they are interchangeable based on what a team believes.

Assuming Mckenzies rankings are the most accurate in terms of a mock draft my choices would be as follows

1st - Zegras/Seider/Caufield

2nd - Nicholas Robertson -> rated much higher on most scouting services and in my opinion is gonna be a Brendan Gallagher mold

3rd - Pavel Dorofeyev -> would be criminal to not pick him up here if he is still available ..a second round talent for sure

I think I found Broberg being at 15 behind Soderstrom the most interesting. The fact that Soderstrom, Broberg, Seider, Harley, and York are ranked side by side from 14-18 shows that there is absolutely zero consensus in the defensemen rankings from team to team after Byram. I think from 5 to about 20 this could be one of the craziest drafts ever with unexpected picks and teams trading up and down. 

Is it Friday yet?!

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

If Benning has Knight ranked as the BPA when we pick would anyone be upset if we took him?

He is being touted as having the potential to be the best US goalie ever and is ranked in the top 5 and top 10 by some teams according to B Mac

It would shocked if Benning pulled the trigger on that, but I wouldn't be upset about it. He is an unbelievable prospect and then we could actually be comfortable including Markstrom, Demko, or DiPietro in a trade package. Not the move I would make.... but a justifiable one that could pay off big.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

If Benning has Knight ranked as the BPA when we pick would anyone be upset if we took him?

He is being touted as having the potential to be the best US goalie ever and is ranked in the top 5 and top 10 by some teams according to B Mac

I'd be upset yeah.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, 3rdGenCanuck said:

It would shocked if Benning pulled the trigger on that, but I wouldn't be upset about it. He is an unbelievable prospect and then we could actually be comfortable including Markstrom, Demko, or DiPietro in a trade package. Not the move I would make.... but a justifiable one that could pay off big.

If he doesnt think there is a top line forward or top pair defenseman on the board, taking a swing at a potential hall of fame goalie could be good value wise.