The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

1 hour ago, Pure961089 said:

Looks like Bob McKenzie doesn’t see much difference between Zegras, Cozens, Dach, Podkolzin, Krebs Boldy And Caufield.   Virtually Identical according to the graph.  

3E8AA5FC-FBC3-47AC-8086-0AA04CB46137.png

Therefore, if you have a choice between a few, pick the kid with the most character and desire to improve and win (aka Bo, Boeser, Petey) and you'll have the BPA - easier said then done but this is why interviews matter, why scouting little details beyond everyone's over used cliche of  'edgework matters. Scout's see how a kid 'battles'....this is what will separate the star, from the average NHLer from the bust. And none of us have any insight into that from watching you tube highlights and reading articles.

11 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Ironically Craig Button gave Newhook a bad grade on his skating.

Lol, by "my speed" I meant my type of player... not their skating necessarily.

Can't say I agree with Craig, though.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Have to wonder now whether not getting Edler signed alters JB's drafting.  Not specifically the first round pick but the rest of the picks.  Does he slide towards getting Dman who are more "NHL ready but less upside"?

No because Edler will still sign here and he's going after ufas

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

WANT

- Podkolzin

- Dach

- Zegras

- Seider

- Boldy

- Krebs

O.K. WITH

- Broberg

- Newhook

- York

- Heinola

DON'T WANT

- Söderström

- Caufield

- Kaliyev

WANT

- Zegras

- Krebs

- Broberg

O.K. WITH

- Newhook

- Seider

- Boldy

- Söderström

- Caufield

- Kaliyev

- Podkolzin

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, nergish said:

Lol, by "my speed" I meant my type of player... not their skating necessarily.

Can't say I agree with Craig, though.

I have seen other scouting reports on Newhook describing him as speedy and quick.

I don't understand the variance in how people view skating, it's like Evan Bouchard all over again. 

Some thought he could be the next John Carlson and others lambasted his skating and ability to ever reach that potential.

Craig Button and his potential comps are wishful thinking in the best case scenario. And some are clearly for fun(Messi really?). Not as realistic for some of the top guys and more realistic for the later round guys.

Though I do really like the idea of Boldy being compared to Mikko Rantanen.

6 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

If Benning has Knight ranked as the BPA when we pick would anyone be upset if we took him?

He is being touted as having the potential to be the best US goalie ever and is ranked in the top 5 and top 10 by some teams according to B Mac

Would that not be awfully risky considering how hard it is to judge what a mature goalie is gonna look like?

Isn't it even harder then telling what a mature D man would look like?

I hope Benning stays away as we have some prospect goalies already and we really need D and wingers now. Just my opinion.

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Have to wonder now whether not getting Edler signed alters JB's drafting.  Not specifically the first round pick but the rest of the picks.  Does he slide towards getting Dman who are more "NHL ready but less upside"?

The draft is before free agency so I don’t think it changes his draft at all. If it changes anything it will probably be how aggressive he chases the other dmen on the market. Could make him panic and give more term or dollars to a Gardner or Myers than we’d like.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Is there any consensus yet on who most fans want?

Zegras, Krebs, Newhook, Boldy, Caufield?

I would be very surprised if it is not one of these 5 guys.

The closest you're going to see to concensus is after the first 9 picks are made and we know who's left :lol:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 12:41 PM, Alflives said:

If Broberg is off the board when 10 comes up, we either take Seider then, or trade down and keep our fingers crossed he’s still there at the number we trade down to.  

Would rather take Podkolzin or Krebs.

It really depends on who gets picked before us. We are not picking in the first tier (Hughes, Kakko, Byram - maybe add Turcotte to the list) that we know.

We likely pick between Dach, Cozens, Zegras, Boldy, Krebs, Newhook, Broberg, Seider, Caufield.

My list yet again has changed but I think its now closer to what it will be at the draft.

Dach, Cozens, Krebs, Podkolzin, Boldy, Zegras, Seider, Broberg, Caufield.

I don't expect Dach or Cozens to be there. If management determines Krebs injury is nothing to be concerned about and Podk's Russian factor is not an issue, hands down without a doubt I pick the two hardest working, biggest heart guys on the boards in Krebs and Podkolzin. Guys like Boldy and Zegras may have higher skill (Boeser) but I prefer the former 2 (Horvat) for the compete level they can bring to this team - their skillset/skills are impressive as well. Hard work is contagious and I wish we could have both Krebs and Podkolzin (maybe Edmontons 8th is still a possibility) but Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Podkolzin, Krebs as 5 of your top 6 is a future contender in my books.

Fingers crossed Krebs/Podk fall to us. If they don't I would prefer Boldy over the rest of the board.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Live like a Canuck! said:

For me...

I think Newhook is under rated.

He seems like a possession player with a high ceiling. I dont understand why some say he has poor skating...

Players I would choose with high celings:

Newhook

Boldy

Broberg

I'm right there with you. I might even add Zegras to that list.

Seriously though, I would be so happy if we drafted Broberg. I think he'll be the one that got away for a few teams if he's not selected somewhere in the top-10. 

• Upvote 1

Like Virtanen pre-draft, I will never understand the love for Broberg. He's your stereotypical "tools but no toolbox" player. At some point your physical attributes need to translate to actual individual success in whatever league they are in. Broberg's numbers are the worst of any player I've seen listed as a potential top ten with maybe the exception of Podkozlin (who's love I also don't understand). He had LESS points in the 2nd-tier swedish league than Soderstrom had in the SHL. I have no problem gambling 2nd rounders and above on the "no toolbox" players but definitely not a top 10 pick. 

I feel like last year's Broberg was Boqvist. Again, despite his physical and individual attributes, he never put up great numbers relative to the league he was in. Boqvist just played last season on the Knights with Bouchard and couldn't even match his pre-draft numbers. 

I believe our draft with top 10 picks has been successful when their actual individual success was there. Virtanen and Joulevi had relatively poor individual success compared to their peers drafted around them. Pettersson and Hughes had phenomenal numbers in comparison pre-draft. 

DO NOT WANT:

Broberg

Podkozlin

Krebs

Edited by AK_19
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3