The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

Ideal Draft Day

Trade Kole Lind for Pujuljarvi, 38thOA, 68thOA and Lucic (No salary to Edmonton plus a prospect that is developing well, we get a reclamation project and 2 picks) 

Trade Ben Hutton, Brandon Sutter, 40th OA for Shayne Gostisbehere (Hutton replaces Ghost on LD, they get a 3C that allows Patrick to play 2C in offensive role, and a 2nd in this years draft, Ghost replaces Edler on the top pairing LD) - we likely need to give up more

Trade 68thOA for David Clarkson and 17thOA (only 1 year left at 5.25million and cap projected to be less than 82million not many teams could make an offer like this)

Draft  Krebs, Boldy, at 10th (Podk likely gets drafted by Detroit)

Draft Seider at 17th

Draft LW/D at 38th

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

TSN'S Mock draft has us taking Boldy...with Seider going next to Philly...I hope that is reversed...!

Boldy may be a good 2nd/3rd line wing but that doesn't trump a top 4 D. man with upside...Benning even said as much.

Bennings quote's from earlier also could have meant Seider instead of Byram ...he must know there is 0 (zero)...nada chance that Byram falls to us, so his D. guy is likely someone else....

13 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Leaning towards a......forward.  This is not Jim’s first rodeo.  He head faked in both the Pettersson and Hughes’s draft.  

How did he in the Hughes draft? They had a guy they ranked 3rd overall fall to them.

I think they are leaning D, Bennings a pretty honest guy. Not to say they wont take a fwd (I think they like Krebs) but ideally theyd probably like to get a D & my money is on that guy being Broberg

4 minutes ago, Seannnp said:

Ideal Draft Day

Trade Kole Lind for Pujuljarvi, 38thOA, 68thOA and Lucic (No salary to Edmonton plus a prospect that is developing well, we get a reclamation project and 2 picks) 

Trade Ben Hutton, Brandon Sutter, 40th OA for Shayne Gostisbehere (Hutton replaces Ghost on LD, they get a 3C that allows Patrick to play 2C in offensive role, and a 2nd in this years draft, Ghost replaces Edler on the top pairing LD) - we likely need to give up more

Trade 68thOA for David Clarkson and 17thOA (only 1 year left at 5.25million and cap projected to be less than 82million not many teams could make an offer like this)

Draft  Krebs, Boldy, at 10th (Podk likely gets drafted by Detroit)

Draft Seider at 17th

Draft LW/D at 38th

Great plan....would have worked a month ago ...but Seider is gone by 13 at latest...his stock has been rising ever since me.... and everyone else stood up an took notice at the worlds...

Seider is my guy at 10 now....

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, AK_19 said:

Like Virtanen pre-draft, I will never understand the love for Broberg. He's your stereotypical "tools but no toolbox" player. At some point your physical attributes need to translate to actual individual success in whatever league they are in. Broberg's numbers are the worst of any player I've seen listed as a potential top ten with maybe the exception of Podkozlin (who's love I also don't understand). He had LESS points in the 2nd-tier swedish league than Soderstrom had in the SHL. I have no problem gambling 2nd rounders and above on the "no toolbox" players but definitely not a top 10 pick. 

I feel like last year's Broberg was Boqvist. Again, despite his physical and individual attributes, he never put up great numbers relative to the league he was in. Boqvist just played last season on the Knights with Bouchard and couldn't even match his pre-draft numbers. 

I believe our draft with top 10 picks has been successful when their actual individual success was there. Virtanen and Joulevi had relatively poor individual success compared to their peers drafted around them. Pettersson and Hughes had phenomenal numbers in comparison pre-draft. 

DO NOT WANT:

Broberg

Podkozlin

Krebs

Seems like you want the safe pick as opposed to swinging for the fences.

Broberg - no toolbox

Podk - Russian Factor

Krebs - injury

Gotta swing for the fences at this stage my friend. We need players with the absolute highest ceiling possible and hope that our staff and management can help get them there. Drafting middle 6 forwards to 3-4-5 dmen are not going to get us a closer to the cup as we already don't have assets we are willing to give up to get those pieces via the trade route.

Broberg easily has highest ceiling of all defenseman outside of Byram

Pokd - highest ceiling after Hughes - right there with Kakko in my opinion.

Krebs - ceiling is not as high but hes like another Horvat so I would take a chance on him as well.

• Upvote 3

On 6/17/2019 at 3:34 PM, 18W-40C-6W said:

WANT

- Podkolzin

- Dach

- Zegras

- Seider

- Boldy

- Krebs

O.K. WITH

- Broberg

- Newhook

- York

- Heinola

DON'T WANT

- Söderström

- Caufield

- Kaliyev

Late to this party. Ranking these at pick 10, if we moved my list would as well. Dach, Cozens and Turcotte would also fall into the want category... I would do terrible things for us to draft Byram

WANT

Zegras

Boldy

Krebs

OK WITH

Newhook

Seider

Caufield

DON'T WANT

Broberg

Broberg

Broberg

• Upvote 1

On 6/17/2019 at 2:34 PM, 18W-40C-6W said:

WANT

- Podkolzin

- Dach

- Zegras

- Seider

- Boldy

- Krebs

O.K. WITH

- Broberg

- Newhook

- York

- Heinola

DON'T WANT

- Söderström

- Caufield

- Kaliyev

Want

- Boldy

- Zegras

- Dach

- Cozens

- Krebs

-Newhook 

Ok With 

- Soderstrom

- Seider

- Podkolzin

Don't Want

- Broberg

- Caufield

- Kaliyev

Edited by Pure961089

37 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

When Jim goes hunting is never works out.  When he drafts Best Player Available it always works.  Think how further along we would be had we just picked the BPA instead of effing around.   We have too many needs to play around with this pick.  

Virtanen is the only time I felt Benning didn't take the BPA. Ever since I've felt like he and the scouting department have picked the most cerebral player available and put more emphasis on maturity and character.  And if I'm recalling correctly Benning did try to move up to grab Sam Reinhart but unfortunately for us Buffalo didn't want the #6 pick and Hunter Shinkaruk. 

Plus Virtanen is potentially on the cusp of being a top 6 player. His growth has just moved at a slow pace but hasn't stagnated at all. If anything, Benning was the one who set Jake back by giving him spot on the team just a year after he was drafted. It just absolutely sent the wrong message to him at a crucial developmental stage.  

As long as Benning and co. stick with picking based on speed and skill, I think the Canucks will get a valuable core player at 10. 

Edited by Clock Tower Prison
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Clock Tower Prison said:

Virtanen is the only time I felt Benning didn't take the BPA. Ever since I've felt like he and the scouting department have picked the most cerebral player available and put more emphasis on maturity and character.  And if I'm recalling correctly Benning did try to move up to grab Sam Reinhart but unfortunately for us Buffalo didn't want the #6 pick and Hunter Shinkaruk. 

Plus Virtanen is potentially on the cusp of being a top 6 player. His growth has just moved at a slow pace but hasn't stagnated at all. If anything, Benning was the one who set Jake back by giving him spot on the team just a year after he was drafted. It just absolutely sent the wrong message to him at a crucial developmental stage.  

As long as Benning and co. stick with picking based on speed and skill, I think the Canucks will get a valuable core player at 10. 

Well I wouldn’t say the only time.  There was that Juolevi over Tkachuk pick.   Think how Tkachuk would look on Pettersson, Boeser line.   Those 2 misses have really set the rebuild back a couple years.  Calgary was in a similar spot we were in, they just made better use of their assets and didn’t give them away or let them go for nothing like Benning does.  Edit:  and didn’t miss on their picks.  

Edited by Pure961089

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Despite injuries, OJ has had an excellent development path thus far and projects to a very good, point producing two way dman.  First to the NHL does not mean the best........especially comparing fwds to dmen.  Not saying that I wouldn't like having MT, but I have zero complaints about the OJ pick.

Everyone picked around OJ above and below have 1 or 2 years of NHL experience, they are established stars already.  There is on guarantee OJ will ever play in the NHL for more that a handful of games.   

627C9391-CBA4-43D6-B4E3-02541744F271.jpeg

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Great plan....would have worked a month ago ...but Seider is gone by 13 at latest...his stock has been rising ever since me.... and everyone else stood up an took notice at the worlds...

Seider is my guy at 10 now....

Absolutely agreed his stock has risen considerably but I cant put him over guys like Dach, Cozens, Podk, Zegras, Newhook, Krebs, Boldy, and maybe even Caufield and Broger given their ceilings.

I expect Seider to be drafted between 15-17 and hoping we grab a pick in the range to grab him. Definitely has the potential to be a top pairing dman with the right partner.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Everyone picked around OJ above and below have 1 or 2 years of NHL experience, they are established stars already.  There is on guarantee OJ will ever play in the NHL for more that a handful of games.   

Yeah we get that. But you also have to respect that he could win 5 straight Norris trophies just like we have to respect that he may never play more than a handful of games.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Everyone below has 1-2 years and are stars? what? Looking above means nothing because we had no ability to draft the top 4 and Poolparty certainly looks like a potential busteroo unless he gets out of Edmonton.

Nylander? Brown? Mcleod? Bean? Fabbro?

Sure there are some others that have done well. But JB always said OJ needed time to get bigger. Other than a couple of unfortunate injuries he would have seen time in the NHL last year given his progression. I think you need to chill and evaluate him after his 2 years playing with the Canucks, by then you can see some semblance of his ability. Even that is too early. As Al Arbour said, you don't know what you have in a dman until he's played at least 200 games in the NHL

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Well I wouldn’t say the only time.  There was that Juolevi over Tkachuk pick.   Think how Tkachuk would look on Pettersson, Boeser line.   Those 2 misses have really set the rebuild back a couple years.  Calgary was in a similar spot we were in, they just made better use of their assets and didn’t give them away or let them go for nothing like Benning does.  Edit:  and didn’t miss on their picks.  

Calgary was not in a similar spot.  We were finishing at the top of the league for a few years in a row.  They were finishing much lower than us regularly and would have had much better picks but for trading away many of them.  I would rather have Virtanen than Sam Bennett and he went at 4th.  

• Upvote 1