The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

8 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Last mock:    Seider at #25

Latest mock: Seider at #11

Craig is beginning to see the light... ::D.

We either get Broberg or Seider.  I'm happy with either.  Big D, who can skate, move the puck, and compete, are worth so much more than wingers.  

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Regarding picks 3-4.

Was listening to a decent podcast can't remember which

Said that Chicago should rightfully look at Turcotte for being the local boy but also because Toews is not getting any younger or better (brought up Toews' back issues) and said at best there might only be 2-3 years to learn under him and there's a crowded blue line to think of.  A succession plan for a 1C is more important.

They also then brought up Colorado.  One of two things would happen.  Byram falling to them or Each being their selection.

1.  If Colorado took Byram, it means they were going to be patient.  With Makar now on the team and looking like the stud he is (what now FTG) they're in no rush to push another D man in the system and would rightfully let him marinate.  Meaning the Avs take a 1 year break and see where the team is

2.  Taking Dach means they're ready now.  That's a big body right there.  Each would slot in to the 3rd line C and should be ready for 2nd line duty in 2 seasons or less.

Essentially 1 pick is long term 1 pick is now.  Both have great benefits.  That of course then means Byram possibly falling to LA at which point they started discussing what LA would want at 5 for him and if there was really such a need for teams to move up.  Edmonton they said yes but had nothing to offer outside of the 8th and Puljujarvi 

This draft could very well be full of movements and picks we did not expect.

Still hoping Benning finds a way to move up to 1st and fleece NJ in the process ;)

Great post!

It just looks like their is going to be a big left wing PF with skill available at 10 and likely BPA.  May be Boldy or Pod.

Bit of a stretch for the D at that point but wouldn't be upset to see Seider or Soderstrom. 

Really, a lot of decent choices that happen to suit our needs.

Just hope the pic doesn't get traded.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Regarding picks 3-4.

Was listening to a decent podcast can't remember which

Said that Chicago should rightfully look at Turcotte for being the local boy but also because Toews is not getting any younger or better (brought up Toews' back issues) and said at best there might only be 2-3 years to learn under him and there's a crowded blue line to think of.  A succession plan for a 1C is more important.

They also then brought up Colorado.  One of two things would happen.  Byram falling to them or Each being their selection.

1.  If Colorado took Byram, it means they were going to be patient.  With Makar now on the team and looking like the stud he is (what now FTG) they're in no rush to push another D man in the system and would rightfully let him marinate.  Meaning the Avs take a 1 year break and see where the team is

2.  Taking Dach means they're ready now.  That's a big body right there.  Each would slot in to the 3rd line C and should be ready for 2nd line duty in 2 seasons or less.

Essentially 1 pick is long term 1 pick is now.  Both have great benefits.  That of course then means Byram possibly falling to LA at which point they started discussing what LA would want at 5 for him and if there was really such a need for teams to move up.  Edmonton they said yes but had nothing to offer outside of the 8th and Puljujarvi 

This draft could very well be full of movements and picks we did not expect.

Still hoping Benning finds a way to move up to 1st and fleece NJ in the process ;)

Well Chicago draftee Toews 2006 3rd overall in Vancouver.

So how fitting Chicago takes Turcotte 3rd overall in Vancouver now in 2019.

the Chicago kid who idolizes captain serious. How beautiful. I’m so happy for them. They deserve this.

(tone filled with sarcasm, and bitter jealousy)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The more I think about it, the more I think Benning will take Soderstrom.

Soderstrom's ceiling isn't viewed as high as a lot of players in that range, but he's an extremely "safe" pick, a virtually guaranteed top-4 RHD. He's already playing against men in the SHL (which is pretty rare for a 17 year-old). People see the 7 points and think he doesn't have offensive upside, without realizing he was the highest scoring U18 player in the SHL (forwards included). Back when he was in J18 Allsvenskan, he was dominant offensively. He's a fantastic skater, has a great shot, and is a steady defensive player - pretty much a perfect compliment to Hughes.

Canucks absolutely HAVE TO hit on a RHD here. Woo is the only guy in the system with top-4 upside, and that's not a sure thing. Soderstrom would definitely plug the hole, and if development goes well may turn into a Hampus Lindholm-type D-man, which you simply can't acquire outside of the draft.

Soderstrom isn't even much of a reach at #10. McKeen's has him at 10, FC at 11, EliteProspects at 12, Hockeyprospect.com at 13, and McKenzie/ISS at 14.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Soderstrom's ceiling isn't viewed as high as a lot of players in that range, but he's an extremely "safe" pick, a virtually guaranteed top-4 RHD. He's already playing against men in the SHL (which is pretty rare for a 17 year-old). People see the 7 points and think he doesn't have offensive upside, without realizing he was the highest scoring U18 player in the SHL (forwards included). Back when he was in J18 Allsvenskan, he was dominant offensively. He's a fantastic skater, has a great shot, and is a steady defensive player - pretty much a perfect compliment to Hughes.

Canucks absolutely HAVE TO hit on a RHD here. Woo is the only guy in the system with top-4 upside, and that's not a sure thing. Soderstrom would definitely plug the hole, and if development goes well may turn into a Hampus Lindholm-type D-man, which you simply can't acquire outside of the draft.

Soderstrom isn't even much of a reach at #10. McKeen's has him at 10, FC at 11, EliteProspects at 12, Hockeyprospect.com at 13, and McKenzie/ISS at 14.

I think you have some good points (positional need, costly to acquire a RHD in a trade, NHL readiness, prospect rankings).

Jim and his team went with players having a high ceiling in the 2017 & 2018 draft with Pettersson and Hughes. Not sure if Jim and his team buck that trend and go with a safe pick like Söderström.

10 minutes ago, D-Money said:

I don’t think soderstrom is a guarantee at all. 

If we take him I’ll trust the pick but right now i have some 2016 draft feels, not really comparisons just similar vibes:

soderstrom - Juolevi

seider - sergachev

caufield - keller (smaller but with more upside)

boldy - Tkachuk (without the snarl)

newhook - Jost (think Newhook has a higher ceiling though)

My current D ranking is:

Byram

Seider

York

Broberg - think he’s gone before our pick.

Soderstrom

Harley

Heinola

13 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

I think you have some good points (positional need, costly to acquire a RHD in a trade, NHL readiness, prospect rankings).

Jim and his team went with players having a high ceiling in the 2017 & 2018 draft with Pettersson and Hughes. Not sure if Jim and his team buck that trend and go with a safe pick like Söderström.

Pettersson had some risk, but Hughes was a no-brainer - not just a high ceiling, but also a lock to be a top-4 guy.

And now that he hit homeruns on #1C and top-pairing/puck-moving D-man, I can see Benning focusing more on the supporting cast for those two.

Edited by D-Money
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I don’t think soderstrom is a guarantee at all. 

If we take him I’ll trust the pick but right now i have some 2016 draft feels, not really comparisons just similar vibes:

soderstrom - Juolevi

There's no basis to this comparison at all. At the time, Juolevi was the high-scoring D-man on stacked Junior and WJC teams. Soderstrom is playing a 2-way game against men in one of the top mens' leagues in the world.

If there is a NHL comparison to Soderstrom, it might be Adam Larsson. Prior to Rasmus Dahlin last year, Larsson was the last D-man to be the highest scoring U18 player in the SHL in his draft year. Larsson is bigger and more physical, while Soderstrom plays a more modern, faster game, but I could see them having similar career impacts.

Edited by D-Money
  • Upvote 3

My prediction..

1.       Jack Hughes (NJD)

2.       Kaappo Kakko (NYR)

3.       Bowen Byram (CHI)

4.       Trevor Zegras (COL)

5.       Cole Caufield (LAK)

6.       Vasili Podzolkin (DET)

7.       Alex Turcotte (BUF)

8.       Dylan Cozens (EDM)

9.       Kirby Dach (ANH)

10.   Alex Newhook or Matthew Boldy (VAN)

5 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

My prediction..

1.       Jack Hughes (NJD)

2.       Kaappo Kakko (NYR)

3.       Bowen Byram (CHI)

4.       Trevor Zegras (COL)

5.       Cole Caufield (LAK)

6.       Vasili Podzolkin (DET)

7.       Alex Turcotte (BUF)

8.       Dylan Cozens (EDM)

9.       Kirby Dach (ANH)

10.   Alex Newhook or Matthew Boldy (VAN)

Or Broberg or Seider or Krebs 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

Dude..we were never going to pick Fabbro, let’s not kid ourselves.  We had a top 5 pick, we could have done better with it.   Edit: as bad as all those players you mentioned are....at least they’ve played NHL games. OJ is the only one who’s posted a goose egg in 3 years.  I’d love to be proven wrong.  Juolevi panning out would be like found money 

....Well then...you are about to get rich...!

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Or Broberg or Seider or Krebs 

This year any of those guys or Newhook or Boldy could end up being a top 5 pick in a "re-draft" a couple years from now...there is solid talent from 3-15 or so.

I am pretty sure Benning will take one of the best of them when all is said and done....Seider is my choice, but I won't be disappointed  with anyone really...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, khay said:

I see what you are saying but it can be said that Juolevi also boosted up their stats. I guess Juolevi may not be the #1/#2 but probably #2/#3 defenceman, who doesn't quite have that physical dominance but has high IQ to recognize and make plays. So when he plays with skilled players, he will shine. The downside is that he may not be the play driver on his own, like if you play with grinders, he will just be an average player.

His own.

I am seriously curious about Juolevi's value. If we offer 10th + Juolevi, how high can we move up? I know it won't get us in the top 3 but maybe 5th OA? Or maybe I'm overvaluing Juolevi.

He's worth way more to us. Why give up on a young d whose ceiling is unknown? He could very well still be 2-3 D for us by the end of the season.

I'd rather keep Juolevi and draft a top end forward or anyone of the defenceman who look to be locks to play in the top 4.

Everyone needs to let Olli do his thing.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Clock Tower Prison said:

The Canucks need upgrades on defence and the wings.  I think keeping Joulevi and whoever is picked at 10 will add more overall value to the team than just Byram alone. Joulevi and Soderstom as a second pairing for example. 

I'd love to see Byram in a Canucks uniform but not at the expense of making the team less competitive. 

Exactly this.

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

There's no basis to this comparison at all. At the time, Juolevi was the high-scoring D-man on stacked Junior and WJC teams. Soderstrom is playing a 2-way game against men in one of the top mens' leagues in the world.

If there is a NHL comparison to Soderstrom, it might be Adam Larsson. Prior to Rasmus Dahlin last year, Larsson was the last D-man to be the highest scoring U18 player in the SHL in his draft year. Larsson is bigger and more physical, while Soderstrom plays a more modern, faster game, but I could see them having similar career impacts.

Yea wasn’t meant to be a style comparison just a vibe.

like similar in safe transition dman, projecting to be a second pairing dman with maybe more.

like I don’t compare Hughes to Matthews or Kakko to Laine asides from the fact that it’s an American / Finnish two horse race at the top for first you know. Stylistically they are not similar at all but this draft just gives me that vibe dejavu feeling.

but maybe I’m crazy! Haha