Sign in to follow this  
Qwags

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Recommended Posts

Just now, Squamfan said:

 

 

That scares me because that means they really want Zegras or Broberg. And I’m going to guess it’s Broberg.

 

Because we know byram wont make it past 5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, wildwood12 said:

They tried to move up last year as well. Then got the guy they wanted in Quinn Hughes.

Yup.  Why move up when we can draft either Broberg or Seider at 10?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

This year any of those guys or Newhook or Boldy could end up being a top 5 pick in a "re-draft" a couple years from now...there is solid talent from 3-15 or so.

No doubt. I’d actually be quite surprised if one of the guys drafted between 10-20 doesn’t end up being considered a top-5 talent in a re-draft.

 

Even some of the guys who might very well go a bit later, like say a Bobby Brink.

 

Brink, for my money, has one of the best “hockey brains” in the draft. His “hockey body?” Meh... not so much. But if Brink can clean up that awkward stride, and maybe have a bit of a late growth spurt (not unheard of, especially for a July birthday who looks like he’s about 10 years old right now), his mind for the game, and natural talent/skillset, puts his ceiling right there with some of the current “elite” forwards in the top of the draft.

 

Would not surprise me in the least to see Brink develop into a legit top line NHL talent and one of the best players coming out of the 2019 draft. Of course, there’s also potential for him to fizzle out developmentally and miss the show entirely. Definitely the type of player I’d swing at if we had the luxury of a another Day1 pick in the second half of the first round. 

 

And if he really slips and somehow is there when we pick at #40 (hopefully his size, and especially him “shrinking” from a listed 5’10” to a measured 5’8.25” at the Combine, will scare some teams off), I’ll be chanting “Brink Brink Brink” in my head, right up until our pick is announced.

 

That all said, to quote Burke, “that’s a small body, gentlemen, a small body.”

 

But those stats, man :blink:

 

“But what if I told you that Brink had a hand in 50 percent of all of his team’s goals? Now we’re getting somewhere. What if I told you that his primary points per game was beneath only Jack Hughes and Alex Turcotte? Or that when you adjust for age, Brink is “better” than slam-dunk picks like Matthew Boldy, Cole Caufield, and Trevor Zegras? That he scored more points-per-game than Casey Mittelstadt, yet only 38 percent of his points were on the PP compared to 60 percent for Mittelstadt? Or that his PPG for a draft-eligible player in the USHL is better than the Winnipeg Jets’ 30-goal scorer, Kyle Connorand the Calgary Flames’ Johnny Gaudreau?”

 

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.defendingbigd.com/platform/amp/2019/6/17/18638028/2019-nhl-entry-draft-prospect-profile-bobby-brink-right-wing-zucker-dallas-stars-ushl-sioux-city

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  Why move up when we can draft either Broberg or Seider at 10?  

Because they're not as good as byram at 4? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, R3aL said:

That scares me because that means they really want Zegras or Broberg. And I’m going to guess it’s Broberg.

 

Because we know byram wont make it past 5.

Unless Benning knows both Chicago and LA have their eyes on a forward :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 73 Percent said:

Because they're not as good as byram at 4? 

I thought the rumor was the Detroit pick at 6?  Love to get Byram, of course, but getting to up to draft him might cost way too much.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Camel Toe Drag said:

Unless Benning knows both Chicago and LA have their eyes on a forward :ph34r:

Read that Chicago really likes Turcott.  Maybe LA likes Zegras?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Read that Chicago really likes Turcott.  Maybe LA likes Zegras?

Exactly.... and Colorado take Cozens or Dach cause they feel confident about their back end. If we are there at 6 then we could end up with a similar situation to last year.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, R3aL said:

That scares me because that means they really want Zegras or Broberg. And I’m going to guess it’s Broberg.

 

Because we know byram wont make it past 5.

Could maybe see Byram getting past 5, but not 6. 

 

If they are moving up its gotta be for Byram, why would they move up for Zegras or Broberg.

 

Yzerman has liked Podkolzin right? We trade up for Byram & they move down for Pod? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Could maybe see Byram getting past 5, but not 6. 

 

If they are moving up its gotta be for Byram, why would they move up for Zegras or Broberg.

 

Yzerman has liked Podkolzin right? We trade up for Byram & they move down for Pod? 

oh yeah basketball GIF by NCAA March Madness

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

No doubt. I’d actually be quite surprised if one of the guys drafted between 10-20 doesn’t end up being considered a top-5 talent in a re-draft.

 

Even some of the guys who might very well go a bit later, like say a Bobby Brink.

 

Brink, for my money, has one of the best “hockey brains” in the draft. His “hockey body?” Meh... not so much. But if Brink can clean up that awkward stride, and maybe have a bit of a late growth spurt (not unheard of, especially for a July birthday who looks like he’s about 10 years old right now), his mind for the game, and natural talent/skillset, puts his ceiling right there with some of the current “elite” forwards in the top of the draft.

 

Would not surprise me in the least to see Brink develop into a legit top line NHL talent and one of the best players coming out of the 2019 draft. Of course, there’s also potential for him to fizzle out developmentally and miss the show entirely. Definitely the type of player I’d swing at if we had the luxury of a another Day1 pick in the second half of the first round. 

 

And if he really slips and somehow is there when we pick at #40 (hopefully his size, and especially him “shrinking” from a listed 5’10” to a measured 5’8.25” at the Combine, will scare some teams off), I’ll be chanting “Brink Brink Brink” in my head, right up until our pick is announced.

 

That all said, to quote Burke, “that’s a small body, gentlemen, a small body.”

 

But those stats, man :blink:

 

“But what if I told you that Brink had a hand in 50 percent of all of his team’s goals? Now we’re getting somewhere. What if I told you that his primary points per game was beneath only Jack Hughes and Alex Turcotte? Or that when you adjust for age, Brink is “better” than slam-dunk picks like Matthew Boldy, Cole Caufield, and Trevor Zegras? That he scored more points-per-game than Casey Mittelstadt, yet only 38 percent of his points were on the PP compared to 60 percent for Mittelstadt? Or that his PPG for a draft-eligible player in the USHL is better than the Winnipeg Jets’ 30-goal scorer, Kyle Connorand the Calgary Flames’ Johnny Gaudreau?”

 

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.defendingbigd.com/platform/amp/2019/6/17/18638028/2019-nhl-entry-draft-prospect-profile-bobby-brink-right-wing-zucker-dallas-stars-ushl-sioux-city

Brink definitely flew under my radar...pun intended...

 

The problem with his size/weight is that most of the bulk and weight is above his shoulders ...if he ever grows into that head ...we may have something there.

I am hoping for another 1st round pick, but this talk of Benning moving up...if it's for Byram I am all in...will probably mean giving up picks rather than getting them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pepe Silvia said:

Turcotte said he thinks he's going 3 or 4. Not sure if he had some good interviews with CHI and COL or what

He’s from Illinois. Chi needs a center to replace Toews, perfect pick for them. They’ve focused on D in their drafts for the last three years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Could maybe see Byram getting past 5, but not 6. 

 

If they are moving up its gotta be for Byram, why would they move up for Zegras or Broberg.

 

Yzerman has liked Podkolzin right? We trade up for Byram & they move down for Pod? 

He probably stays and drafts Byram if he’s still there at 6. Im thinking Broberg went up a tier on Jim’s list and he’s trying to get him before Edmonton.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Read that Chicago really likes Turcott.  Maybe LA likes Zegras?

Once you get to 6 it’s a lot easier to move to 4 or 5

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  Why move up when we can draft either Broberg or Seider at 10?  

Or the guy that actually played in a real mens league and is better?

Edited by FlyLow_
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Was listening to THN podcast, they had the Canucks passing on Kirby Dach (who went 11) and taking Broberg.

 

If that actually happens I wont be happy.

JB was quoted as saying that a second pairing D was more valuable than a second line winger. So, if he sees Boldy as a second liner, he might take Broberg instead. Who knows? I just don't the 10th traded for a prospect. Like everyone else here, I long for another first round pick. Remember when we turned down a first round pick for Tanev last year at the TD? Looks pretty bad in retrospect.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, FlyLow_ said:

Or the guy that actually played in a real mens league and is better?

Who?  Not sure I understand your thinking here.  Not that I understand a lot to start with. :picard:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.