The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

2 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

I get D take longer to develop, its why i had no issue with the Juolevi pick over Tkachuck, ok i am also biased against that family for comments the kids father said years ago. They just are not a Canuck family. but i also liked the D pick over the forward.

We have a lot of forwards and every year there are players who come along that we can sign in FA. Finding the D man that we can get to come here is going to be difficult costly and more dangerous than Erikssons contract.

I reiterate my statement from last year that Norris trophy D men come thru the draft. Its not often you can get a Scott Stevens in Free agency.

All the things being said about Hoglander were said about Shroeder a few years back regardless of which GM drafted them. Compete sick hands, skates great, leadership, ahead of his age group. Well Shroeder had 45 points with an AHL team last year. Just not a pick I would have made.Seen it before.

Your points are certainly valid.  I was not pleased with JB trading away second round picks for Vey, Baer, Sutter, and Guddy.  I thought a rebuilding team needed those seconds to draft D.  Now it looks like we have a good group of young D coming up.  That group though could have a couple more guys in it.  

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

You right but Hughes is hopefully that one guy....and hopefully wins a Norris.....KB was a gem and the Canucks may not have had a number one guy but they've found acouple number 2 guys like elder and ohlund...having a number one guy is great but you need a number one pairing to win....like seabrook and Kieth and so on.....balance and Jim has two skill guys like Hughes and OJ and now he needs to find the balance for them.....there wasn't a D that fit that mold in the second round....korczack seems like a third pairing D....nils seems like a gem. 

I hope Hughes does finally win one for us, a conn smythe and a cup  or two but we would have to have the balance around him. Like i said its Hutton Stecher who he makes replaceable. and we still need to draft a few more in my opinion. we missed that chance yesterday and maybe Korczack wasnt the guy but there were D available i would have chosen over The small swede.

Edited by mikeyman109

7 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

You right but Hughes is hopefully that one guy....and hopefully wins a Norris.....KB was a gem and the Canucks may not have had a number one guy but they've found acouple number 2 guys like elder and ohlund...having a number one guy is great but you need a number one pairing to win....like seabrook and Kieth and so on.....balance and Jim has two skill guys like Hughes and OJ and now he needs to find the balance for them.....there wasn't a D that fit that mold in the second round....korczack seems like a third pairing D....nils seems like a gem. 

one point on what you said i would like to make. Where was Edler drafted again? 3rd round...no D picked at all?

And Ohlund didnt come to Vancouver for 4 years after being drafted

Edited by mikeyman109

24 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

I hope Hughes does finally win one for us, a conn smythe and a cup  or two but we would have to have the balance around him. Like i said its Hutton Stecher who he makes replaceable. and we still need to draft a few more in my opinion. we missed that chance yesterday and maybe Korczack wasnt the guy but there were D available i would have chosen over The small swede.

I agree we need to trade Hutton and stech cause they play the same style some. What. 

Which other D would you have taken that would have fit our needs?

On 6/17/2019 at 11:13 PM, Smashian Kassian said:

Pretty sure he said at the memorial cup they were going to take a D.

I do recall him saying the bolded, but he made it clear that year they were leaning towards a defenceman from what I recall. 

Jim has head faked in every draft he’s been apart of.  Like last year really trying to prop up other player so Hughes could fall.  Said he was thinking of drafting a forward, and it worked. In the Pettersson draft he was gushing over Glass in front of the cameras while he had his eye on Pettersson the whole time.  Does it again this draft.  Says he’s leaning on taking defencemen, takes all forwards lol 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I agree we need to trade Hutton and stech cause they play the same style some. What. 

Which other D would you have taken that would have fit our needs?

well besides Korczack i would have liked Alex Vlasic, 6'6 198 lbs, Matthew Robertson 6'3 200 lbs, Drew Helleson 6'3 194

I think we had a lot of options at 40. But I cant re write history. I sure hope the little Swede makes his pick worthwhile because if he becomes Jordan Schroeder 2.0  we will rue the pick.

Everyone here is entitled to their opinion on who we should draft and who we shouldnt. I was pleased we drafted Podkolzin over Caulfield. I would have liked to stay away from players whose disadvantage is listed as their size.  I think its Gaudreaus Achilles heel and he disappeared in the playoffs this year.

when we went to the finals in 94 we were the largest team in the league, and thats with Cliff Ronning on the team. Size is an advantage although many don't see  the same way i do. Again i'm not saying you cant have a smaller player on the team, just not a lot of them.

How would Petey between Palmu and Hoglander do against Kopitar or Thornton or Getzlaf?? With Hughes on D, ouch. I am Ok with the Hughes pick , i just want to see bigger players to surround him.

I get why people are excited about the little Swedish kid but im not expecting much from him. I hope he proves me wrong and scores the cup winning goal someday.

3 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

damn 5'9'' is average height...guess myself and friends I have are just abnormally tall for being males...

Hope the kid is a gamer, can he come to Utica next fall or are we likely keeping him in Sweden for next season? I like the idea of having Euro picks come over to adapt to smaller ice and start to gel with future teammates sooner and learn a similar system to what the Canucks use.

Personally, I have the opposite opinion here.  After reading the turmoil with Canucks prospects last year in Utica and their management's penchant to sit Palmu, Lind, Jonah, etc for long periods of time, I'd rather Hoglander go the path that Petey took for now.

11 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Jim has head faked in every draft he’s been apart of.  Like last year really trying to prop up other player so Hughes could fall.  Said he was thinking of drafting a forward, and it worked. In the Pettersson draft he was gushing over Glass in front of the cameras while he had his eye on Pettersson the whole time.  Does it again this draft.  Says he’s leaning on taking defencemen, takes all forwards lol 

One could say he lied and its a character flaw also. Im not a Benning basher, i liked most of what he has done up to this draft. I just dont get saying we need to improve the D and not drafting any.

1 hour ago, mikeyman109 said:

Alf my issue is that when Hughes OJ and maybe one of the other D are ready to take the reins for this team Edler and Tanev will be gone. I dont see Hutton and Stecher and Hughes as being able to defend against the bigger forwards in this conference. St Louis is big at the back end. They are not at a disadvantage when the Refs put the whistle away.

A team can never have enough d men. In 94 we went to finals and 9 players had lined up on D for us in significant games that year. I wouldnt bet our top 9 get us anywhere at this time. We are not deep enough talent wise on the back end and in two years when Tanev and Edler are gone, we still will have Hughes Stecher, Hutton and a  mix of Juolevi, Woo and some others. Why would we be ok waiting for two years to have Podkolzin join the team and bring impact to the team yet say we wont draft another D man who may do the same ? I dont understand that thinking. Our achilles heel is our D. and In two years that will be the same issue.

In two years time, We'll have Tryamkin back there mixed with either one of Gardiner/Myers or whomever through free agency/trade.  We'll be ok. 

TWIN TOWERS ACTIVATE! 

42 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

one point on what you said i would like to make. Where was Edler drafted again? 3rd round...no D picked at all?

And Ohlund didnt come to Vancouver for 4 years after being drafted

Yes and 03 was a decent draft iirc. 

This draft was forward deep...you take what's given. 

well besides Korczack i would have liked Alex Vlasic, 6'6 198 lbs, Matthew Robertson 6'3 200 lbs, Drew Helleson 6'3 194

I think we had a lot of options at 40. But I cant re write history. I sure hope the little Swede makes his pick worthwhile because if he becomes Jordan Schroeder 2.0  we will rue the pick.

Everyone here is entitled to their opinion on who we should draft and who we shouldnt. I was pleased we drafted Podkolzin over Caulfield. I would have liked to stay away from players whose disadvantage is listed as their size.  I think its Gaudreaus Achilles heel and he disappeared in the playoffs this year.

when we went to the finals in 94 we were the largest team in the league, and thats with Cliff Ronning on the team. Size is an advantage although many don't see  the same way i do. Again i'm not saying you cant have a smaller player on the team, just not a lot of them.

How would Petey between Palmu and Hoglander do against Kopitar or Thornton or Getzlaf?? With Hughes on D, ouch. I am Ok with the Hughes pick , i just want to see bigger players to surround him.

I get why people are excited about the little Swedish kid but im not expecting much from him. I hope he proves me wrong and scores the cup winning goal someday.

Those D you listed are lefties iirc we have depth there.....

nils fills a need and unlike Johnny hockey....the teams succes won't be tied to him....that's the difference.....flames counted on Johnny hockey and he didn't show up and nils will probably play with Bo and Jake if everything works out. 

Nils is a depth piece and we need left wingers and he fills a need. 

Im with you on the size but nils has the attitude you want in those big guys. 

4 minutes ago, Legendary10 said:

In two years time, We'll have Tryamkin back there mixed with either one of Gardiner/Myers or whomever through free agency/trade.  We'll be ok. 

TWIN TOWERS ACTIVATE! 

you have a lot of faith that one of those D men will want to come to Vancouver instead of any other destination.

3 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Yes and 03 was a decent draft iirc. 

This draft was forward deep...you take what's given. 

Those D you listed are lefties iirc we have depth there.....

nils fills a need and unlike Johnny hockey....the teams succes won't be tied to him....that's the difference.....flames counted on Johnny hockey and he didn't show up and nils will probably play with Bo and Jake if everything works out. 

Nils is a depth piece and we need left wingers and he fills a need. 

Im with you on the size but nils has the attitude you want in those big guys. 

Yes he was a depth piece as was every other player we drafted behind him. Like i said earlier Edler was a 3rd round pick.. regardless of the RHD or LHD we still need options

I dont feel confident in our LHD Edler and hutton do not fill me with confidence

you have a lot of faith that one of those D men will want to come to Vancouver instead of any other destination.

I certainly do.  Jimbo is walking a fine line right now trying to save his own butt getting into the playoffs next year whilst attempting to not leave the cupboards too bare for him to work with once he gets a new contract signed for himself.  I can't imagine what it's like to work for someone like FA who obviously likes to meddle with executive decisions while stating otherwise to the general public.

Jim has no choice.  He'll get it done.

7 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

Yes he was a depth piece as was every other player we drafted behind him. Like i said earlier Edler was a 3rd round pick.. regardless of the RHD or LHD we still need options

I dont feel confident in our LHD Edler and hutton do not fill me with confidence

I agree but you take bpa....

i agree but I have faith in Hughes and OJ.....so guys like Hutton are just space holders until they come....I have faith in jim and his plan....I also think he will upgrade the right side and we could end up with a Defence like Ottawa when they went to the eastern finals where one side will crush forwards and the other will move the puck.....if Jim can add Colin Miller and say stralman....I'm happy their not flashy but they balance what we have. 

Edited by RowdyCanuck

3 minutes ago, Legendary10 said:

I certainly do.  Jimbo is walking a fine line right now trying to save his own butt getting into the playoffs next year whilst attempting to not leave the cupboards too bare for him to work with once he gets a new contract signed for himself.  I can't imagine what it's like to work for someone like FA who obviously likes to meddle with executive decisions while stating otherwise to the general public.

Jim has no choice.  He'll get it done.

There's a whole bunch of other teams that are feeling the same way starting with one in the province next door. If they can move Lucics contract they will be in the hunt for Myers and Gardiner as well. Theres a few teams kicking the tires on the D that are out there

8 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I agree but you take bpa....

i agree but I have faith in Hughes and OJ.....so guys like Hutton are just space holders until they come....I have faith in jim and his plan....I also think he will upgrade the right side and we could end up with a Defence like Ottawa when they went to the eastern finals where one raise will crush forwards and the other will move the puck.....if Jim can add Colin Miller and say stralman....I'm happy their not flashy but they balance what we have. 

every time we talk about who we draft someone says take the BPA. Thats a subjective. its how Edmonton got into their mess. They kept taking the BPA and didnt take any D. Its also why I respect Steve Yzerman as a GM . No BPA. NO arguing he took the D man he wanted. Because he was the best positional player they needed. Smart play build from the back end. Colorado is chock full of D they are drafting the right way. That's why they can afford to shop a Tyson Barrie. and D are worth a hell of a lot more in trades than forwards usually. thats why Dahlin went first overall last season.

Like i said I hope the kid proves me wrong but we still need D and they are not exactly lining up to come to Vancouver......yet

PS id love to see Miller on our D

Edited by mikeyman109

I really liked Korczak for our pick. Mobile, good defender, RHD, coming out of the Kelowna Rockets D factory. Maybe a bit less upside (kinda like the Woo pick, most likely 4/5 type guy). But I like his prospects of playing.

Its not that big of a deal though, I like Hoglander too. Had Korczak #25 & Hoglander #28 so both are welcome picks to me at #40.

More upside w/ Hoglander but he's smaller. Don't mind gambling on that upside. Seems to play with an edge, very athletic & played in the SHL in his draft year. Promising signs.

I say keep Hoglander in Sweden for atleast another year & see where he's at. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

every time we talk about who we draft someone says take the BPA. Thats a subjective. its how Edmonton got into their mess. They kept taking the BPA and didnt take any D. Its also why I respect Steve Yzerman as a GM . No BPA. NO arguing he took the D man he wanted. Because he was the best positional player they needed. Smart play build from the back end. Colorado is chock full of D they are drafting the right way. That's why they can afford to shop a Tyson Barrie. and D are worth a hell of a lot more in trades than forwards usually. thats why Dahlin went first overall last season.

Like i said I hope the kid proves me wrong but we still need D and they are not exactly lining up to come to Vancouver......yet

The difference between oilers and Jim are that Jim is willing to trade for D....the oilers don't trade down or trade high end prospects for D other then hall ha Jim is willing to trade prospects or picks for D. 

Jim did the same thing Stevie Y did with OJ and people complain about that all the time. 

Colorado has had the perfect spot to draft high end D like Makar....they also got high picks in the right drafts.....where Canucks usually get stuck taking best bpa....if they could get some draft lottery luck things would be different....

once the Canucks get back into the playoffs and the kids show what they can do....I think ufas will come here.....

Edited by RowdyCanuck

11 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

I think Yzerman and the Wings felt Seider was the BPA on their list.  

• Upvote 2