The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

43 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

well besides Korczack i would have liked Alex Vlasic, 6'6 198 lbs, Matthew Robertson 6'3 200 lbs, Drew Helleson 6'3 194

I think we had a lot of options at 40. But I cant re write history. I sure hope the little Swede makes his pick worthwhile because if he becomes Jordan Schroeder 2.0  we will rue the pick.

Everyone here is entitled to their opinion on who we should draft and who we shouldnt. I was pleased we drafted Podkolzin over Caulfield. I would have liked to stay away from players whose disadvantage is listed as their size.  I think its Gaudreaus Achilles heel and he disappeared in the playoffs this year.

when we went to the finals in 94 we were the largest team in the league, and thats with Cliff Ronning on the team. Size is an advantage although many don't see  the same way i do. Again i'm not saying you cant have a smaller player on the team, just not a lot of them.

How would Petey between Palmu and Hoglander do against Kopitar or Thornton or Getzlaf?? With Hughes on D, ouch. I am Ok with the Hughes pick , i just want to see bigger players to surround him.

I get why people are excited about the little Swedish kid but im not expecting much from him. I hope he proves me wrong and scores the cup winning goal someday.

He reminds me of a more feisty version of Jonny Gaudreau, but without that level of vision. Just as good a puck handler and speed , Completely Fearless.      

• Upvote 1

Cull is killing the development of our kids in Utica.  He’s under pressure from the Utica fan base to win games with players that have no hope of playing for the Canucks (Kero, Boucher) and unfortunately it’s to the detriment of development. I’m glad Hoglander is getting developed in the SHL and Podkolzin in the KHL and not in Utica.  Utica is the place where prospects go to die under Cull.   I’m glad Boeser never played in Utica, same with Pettersson, and Horvat only played a handful of games.  Not enough to destroy his confidence. I’m glad Palmu is finally getting some ice time, sure wasn’t going to get it playing for Cull.   Unless the priority in Utica changes to Development 1st players like Lind and Gadjovich are going to suffer.   

Edited by Pure961089

1 hour ago, mikeyman109 said:

well besides Korczack i would have liked Alex Vlasic, 6'6 198 lbs, Matthew Robertson 6'3 200 lbs, Drew Helleson 6'3 194

I think we had a lot of options at 40. But I cant re write history. I sure hope the little Swede makes his pick worthwhile because if he becomes Jordan Schroeder 2.0  we will rue the pick.

Everyone here is entitled to their opinion on who we should draft and who we shouldnt. I was pleased we drafted Podkolzin over Caulfield. I would have liked to stay away from players whose disadvantage is listed as their size.  I think its Gaudreaus Achilles heel and he disappeared in the playoffs this year.

when we went to the finals in 94 we were the largest team in the league, and thats with Cliff Ronning on the team. Size is an advantage although many don't see  the same way i do. Again i'm not saying you cant have a smaller player on the team, just not a lot of them.

How would Petey between Palmu and Hoglander do against Kopitar or Thornton or Getzlaf?? With Hughes on D, ouch. I am Ok with the Hughes pick , i just want to see bigger players to surround him.

I get why people are excited about the little Swedish kid but im not expecting much from him. I hope he proves me wrong and scores the cup winning goal someday.

Vlasic was overrated. His gap control and overall defensive reads were a hot mess. I liked robertson alot though. He was great on the defensive end plus has a largely untapped offensive game. As for hoglander, i think you are vastly underrating just because of the height thing. Kid is almost 190 and has unbelievable core strength. He also tested unbelievably well at the combine beating many of the giants you rated highly. It shouldn't be too much of an issue for him to make the adjustment to the nhl once he comes over. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, R3aL said:

I don’t usually quote wikis when trying to correct someone. In general all I was saying is his size won’t be the determining factor in his success. If you averaged out all the heights of men on the planet I’m sure it would be closer to North America’s than to Sweden’s anyways. And his combine measurement was basically 5 ft 10.

And your point just strengthens mine even more. If the average height of swedes are greater than North American men, then Hoglander has played with and outperformed his peers who are on average bigger than him. Most likely motivating him to be in the shape he is in.

and he’s a kid who’s not done growing playing against fully grown men in the SHL who are on average bigger than him.

not worried at all about his size.

I don’t disagree with your points and I stated that I am not criticizing the pick. I was simply saying that he is short for a Swede and short for the NHL. I am more concerned about not having a first round pick next year if we make the playoffs b/c we need more high end prospects and I don’t think the rebuild is over.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

I don’t disagree with your points and I stated that I am not criticizing the pick. I was simply saying that he is short for a Swede and short for the NHL. I am more concerned about not having a first round pick next year if we make the playoffs b/c we need more high end prospects and I don’t think the rebuild is over.

Well trading for Miller was our team deciding it’s over in the next two years whether we like it or not. We must buckle up and hope for the best

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Well trading for Miller was our team deciding it’s over in the next two years whether we like it or not. We must buckle up and hope for the best

It's never "over".  Now that JB has his core guys and is starting to put together a supporting cast, his true value as a GM will shine through, imo.  As they draft later and later in rounds, he'll have to find sleepers, like Boes, to maintain the depth as guys, inevitably, leave.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

It's never "over".  Now that JB has his core guys and is starting to put together a supporting cast, his true value as a GM will shine through, imo.  As they draft later and later in rounds, he'll have to find sleepers, like Boes, to maintain the depth as guys, inevitably, leave.

Sure but owner saying dark days are over and by making a trade to bet on ourselves to make the playoffs in the next two years is saying the patient rebuild of lottery selections is over in their minds. Aqua Man literally said those words that it’s Over in his eyes.

I appreciate and acknowledge what you are saying but of course running the team is not over. They are going to aggressively try to make the team better now to support the development of our core, and let’s hope they do a good job.

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Also the type of players we need we will find later in the first round like the Preds find D....we got our high end guys like petey Brock and Bo for the forwards and Hughes and OJ...

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

I didn’t hear anyone complaining at the time. Grabbing Kole and Jonah in the 2nd round that year was huge. 

I remember we just missed out on Timmins. He  was the one I wanted at 41. But oh well. Hindsight is 20/20. 

Listening to a Vegas scout Hague is NHL ready this  year, Timmins is not even close  and is not in the same League ae Hague. Yes Hindsight is 20/20 but making the same mistake again is concerning.  

14 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

Listening to a Vegas scout Hague is NHL ready this  year, Timmins is not even close  and is not in the same League ae Hague. Yes Hindsight is 20/20 but making the same mistake again is concerning.  

Isn’t really the same mistake. In 2017 I was excited because the start of round 2 both Timmins and Hauge were there and both BPA and probably positional need over Lind. I thought for sure after Colorado made their pick we’d get the guy they didn’t take. However this year of the dmen left at 40 I’d say Hoglander was BPA over all of them.

Edited by flickyoursedin
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

Timmins missed a significant amount of time with a concussion, around a year if I'm not mistaken. 

1 minute ago, flickyoursedin said:

Isn’t really the same mistake. In 2017 I was excited because the start of round 2 both Timmins and Hauge were there and both BPA and probably positional need over Lind. However this year of the dmen left at 40 I’d say Hoglander was BPA over all of them.

Both dropped one more than the other I would say D is harder to replace than a Forward Take the D every time

2 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Once again got a guy in the 1st we had ranked higher, and picked up a few other guys that are quite intriguing. (Hoglander / Keppen)

So when do we start the 2020 draft thread??? ::D

Love the pick but to be fair it's literally impossible to ever draft BPA and get a guy ranked lower than what you had haha

Edited by Grape
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

I think the miss is the Pick where we took Hoglander over Korczack.. Some here are excited and that's their prerogative

I personally would have taken the D over the diminutive forward. I See it as Edmonton type move (see no D men) and we will still be looking for Defensemen in 2 years when Tanev and Edler are gone and Juolevi and Woo are on the team. I have little faith in the current D group as its still our biggest weakness. I was hoping we would draft D in the first round and then forwards in the second, or Forward at 10 and then D at 40.

The fact that JB professed to want to improve the D and then doesn't draft any is what i find ...:blink:

The Canucks need forward depth in their organization every bit as much as they need defensive depth.  The fact they have Eliot and Woo, 2 very strong RHD already in their prospect pool made it possible to focus on forward depth.  I would have liked to have seen Martin Hugo Has over Focht but that’s the only miss imo. All the other picks are strong picks. Woo and Eliot will be helping this organization sooner than any defence we might have drafted over the weekend.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

5ft 9in is average height for a male? I hope he pans out, if he is a hybrid of Zucarello and Arvidsson we are in luck. Passing on a rhd for me is tough tho

5’9 was his height when he was in Timra as a 16 year old.  In the combines he was measured at 5’10 188 lbs.  Pavel Bure was 5’10 186 in his prime.  He has an inch and 20 lbs on Gaudreau.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Benning seems confident that by adding Teves, Rafferty and Eliot they are in fine shape with D depth. I don't necessarily agree with that, but I believe Hoglander is a better player than Korczak. I feel pretty good about the Canucks forward depth (core and prospects) now:

Hoglander - Pettersson - Podkolzin

Goldobin - Horvat - Boeser

Virtanen - Gaudette - Lind

Gadjovich - Madden - MacEwen

Perron - Karlsson - Lockwood

Keppen - Costmar - Jasek

It kind of hurt to lose the 3rd this year, as a D would've been good there. 

Goldobin out J.T. Miller in. Other than that it looks like a good lineup.