The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

6 hours ago, cyoung said:

Teams will always say their players dropped to them. Not trying to buzz kill or anything haha.

Well the behind the scenes + the Jim Benning mic’d up at the draft videos for the last couple years point out these players specifically well before our picks. I’m sure there’s editing but to a degree they have to be true.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, cyoung said:

Teams will always say their players dropped to them. Not trying to buzz kill or anything haha.

There was no real consensus in this draft. Drafting 10th, it was close to a certainty that someone higher on their list than 10th would fall to them. They said Pod was 8th on their list. I was actually expecting someone would fall further than that.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

"Well all the good players we wanted were already gone, so we had to settle for this guy... hope he turns out."

If that doesnt instill confidence in our  prospects I dont know what will. 

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, I was away for the first half of June and collected the newspapers so I could read up on the upcoming 2019 Draft. Nowhere in any of the articles did our crack VAN media suggest that Podkolzin was a possibility. In fact, his name was only mentioned twice in Province articles, weeks leading up to the Draft. Every day it was either Krebs, Zegras, Broberg, Boldy or Soderstrom. The VAN media did guess that DET could possibly take Podkolzin at #6, and then referenced him again possibly going to PHI at #11.

What I've learned from the past couple of Drafts, is that if the VAN media says it could happen - it won't. This also goes for UFA signings as well. They suggest all kinds of possible players that Benning is trying to get, but rarely are they close in their prediction. They have no clue as to what's really going on, and just guessing like the rest of us. Except, they get paid to guess.

So, the next time I read about one of VAN's "experts" telling us what could happen, I can almost be sure it won't.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

So, I was away for the first half of June and collected the newspapers so I could read up on the upcoming 2019 Draft. Nowhere in any of the articles did our crack VAN media suggest that Podkolzin was a possibility. In fact, his name was only mentioned twice in Province articles, weeks leading up to the Draft. Every day it was either Krebs, Zegras, Broberg, Boldy or Soderstrom. The VAN media did guess that DET could possibly take Podkolzin at #6, and then referenced him again possibly going to PHI at #11.

What I've learned from the past couple of Drafts, is that if the VAN media says it could happen - it won't. This also goes for UFA signings as well. They suggest all kinds of possible players that Benning is trying to get, but rarely are they close in their prediction. They have no clue as to what's really going on, and just guessing like the rest of us. Except, they get paid to guess.

So, the next time I read about one of VAN's "experts" telling us what could happen, I can almost be sure it won't.

I mean Podkolzin did fall further then expected. 4 of the 5 you (and they) just mentioned were taken later then Pods so its not a stretch to imagine a guy like Soderstrom would have been the next pick for Van

13 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

I mean Podkolzin did fall further then expected. 4 of the 5 you (and they) just mentioned were taken later then Pods so its not a stretch to imagine a guy like Soderstrom would have been the next pick for Van

The reasons Pods fell (the Russian factor and his 2 year contract) were pretty evident, and discussed on this board. If any of our local media were on the ball they would have considered and discussed him as a possibility for the Canucks.

15 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

JB had trade down scenarios in place if Podkolzin wasn’t the guy at ten.  No way he wanted Soderstrom, who has a very high bustaroo potential.  

Podkolzin was a steal at ten.  When he gets here in two years, it will be perfect timing.  Then we get him in his early prime on an ELC.  Huge win by JB.  Shocked, like with Quinn Hughes, we got (maybe?) the most impactful player is this draft at a lower number.  

4 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

Does anyone know if TSN is covering The World Jr. Summer Showcase?  Can't seem to find a feed.

https://www.tsn.ca/2016-17-canadian-hockey-on-tsn-schedule-1.117895

https://www.nhl.com/news/world-junior-summer-showcase-to-be-aired-on-nhl-network/c-308316760

That's what I found, so looks like the first portion of the tournament isn't being shown, but the 2nd half will have coverage.

• Cheers 1

I didn't get the sense that Benning was thrilled with taking Pod, but maybe a bit of reluctance. Did anyone else get that impression? I just saw how over the moon he was with getting Pettersson in 2017, and then getting Hughes last year. I wonder if he was hoping for Seider or Broberg this year. He did mention prior to the Draft that there were some good D in the mid-round, but not sure if he was just blowing smoke. The Canucks probably had Pod quite high (ahead of Boldy, Krebs and Soderstrom anyway), because he's a better player than most that were projected in the 1st round, but I'm not sure they were expecting to take a chance on him. Well, now they've got him,. and I really hope things turn out where he'll be able to come to play in Vancouver in the nerxt 2-3 yerars, and do well here. I think Tryamkin could play a big role (pun intended) in helping Pod transition over, learn the language, get accustomed to NA life, etc. 

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I didn't get the sense that Benning was thrilled with taking Pod, but maybe a bit of reluctance. Did anyone else get that impression? I just saw how over the moon he was with getting Pettersson in 2017, and then getting Hughes last year. I wonder if he was hoping for Seider or Broberg this year. He did mention prior to the Draft that there were some good D in the mid-round, but not sure if he was just blowing smoke. The Canucks probably had Pod quite high (ahead of Boldy, Krebs and Soderstrom anyway), because he's a better player than most that were projected in the 1st round, but I'm not sure they were expecting to take a chance on him. Well, now they've got him,. and I really hope things turn out where he'll be able to come to play in Vancouver in the nerxt 2-3 yerars, and do well here. I think Tryamkin could play a big role (pun intended) in helping Pod transition over, learn the language, get accustomed to NA life, etc. 

I believe it was mentioned that that Podkolzin was like 8 or 9th on the Canucks' list. So while we still punched above our draft spot according to our list, I'm sure Benning and crew would've preferred maybe someone in the 6 or 7th on their list. They said if he wasn't available, they would've traded down, but maybe that was also when they thought Seider could've been available lower too.

I can't wait for the draft coverage video that they usually have to see the reaction though.

Very bold for DET to take Seider at #6, but I admire that pick so much. Some DET fans may wonder why he didn't trade down for him, because he wasn't expetced to go until mid-round, but Yzerman got the player they wanted and he wasn't going to risk losing him to another team. I think it was a great pick.

As far as the Canucks getting lucky with getting Podkolzin, we'll have to wait and see on that. The potential for him is sky high, but he's got to get here first. 

On 7/22/2019 at 12:39 PM, NUCKER67 said:

Very bold for DET to take Seider at #6, but I admire that pick so much. Some DET fans may wonder why he didn't trade down for him, because he wasn't expetced to go until mid-round, but Yzerman got the player they wanted and he wasn't going to risk losing him to another team. I think it was a great pick.

As far as the Canucks getting lucky with getting Podkolzin, we'll have to wait and see on that. The potential for him is sky high, but he's got to get here first. 

I think that's why Detroit and the Canucks didn't swap picks. Edmonton was a team that likely wasn't leaving without a big defenseman, and Stevie Y knew that. Detroit wanted Seider, Edmonton wanted Broberg or Seider. It makes sense, honestly. 

13 minutes ago, Stamkos said:

I think that's why Detroit and the Canucks didn't swap picks. Edmonton was a team that likely wasn't leaving without a big defenseman, and Stevie Y knew that. Detroit wanted Seider, Edmonton wanted Broberg or Seider. It makes sense, honestly. 

I think Benning really wanted Zegras, as I believe Zegras was invited and "dinnered" in VAN. But who knows, Podkolzin was a projected top 5 (some say) and to get him at #10 could be a steal.  Some even say he could play in the NHL this year if he was allowed to leave his KHL team. 

One thing with Benning is that he seems very confident that Podkolzin will develop and then play in the NHL. He made a great point by saying something to the effect: so what if Pod takes 2 years to play in Russia, the other prospects will probably take 2 years to develop as well. We don't know how enthusiastic Pod is either, for all we know he could be thrilled to be coming to VAN in 2 years to live his dream of playing in the NHL. Geez, I really hope he comes here and destroys. He could be the piece that finally puts them over the top.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1