The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

51 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Interesting.  Clearly this guy is more into gardening than ever playing hockey.

1CB96559-166E-40F6-9C45-5A50AA3D9497.gif

I thought his analysis was pretty spot on except for Podkolzin. In his own rankings I believe he had him top 5 but us getting him at 10th apparently there was better options. 

24 minutes ago, AK_19 said:

I thought his analysis was pretty spot on except for Podkolzin. In his own rankings I believe he had him top 5 but us getting him at 10th apparently there was better options. 

As I said before ...for a guy that never played a day of hockey, past midget anyway....he know his hockey...

But he is wrong about Carson Focht....that was an astute pick that will pan out into a very valuable player...Carson can fly, he can shoot and he doesn't lose to many draws...he can play the PP and the PK and is hound dog just like Burrows was.

Caufield over Podkozin may be the way we should have gone ...but I am happy with Podz' and only time will tell....

• Upvote 1

On 7/17/2019 at 1:00 PM, NUCKER67 said:

So, I was away for the first half of June and collected the newspapers so I could read up on the upcoming 2019 Draft. Nowhere in any of the articles did our crack VAN media suggest that Podkolzin was a possibility. In fact, his name was only mentioned twice in Province articles, weeks leading up to the Draft. Every day it was either Krebs, Zegras, Broberg, Boldy or Soderstrom. The VAN media did guess that DET could possibly take Podkolzin at #6, and then referenced him again possibly going to PHI at #11.

What I've learned from the past couple of Drafts, is that if the VAN media says it could happen - it won't. This also goes for UFA signings as well. They suggest all kinds of possible players that Benning is trying to get, but rarely are they close in their prediction. They have no clue as to what's really going on, and just guessing like the rest of us. Except, they get paid to guess.

So, the next time I read about one of VAN's "experts" telling us what could happen, I can almost be sure it won't.

A lot of CDC members  have far better insight and actual links to credible possible moves than our brutal local media. 1040 is just a negativity train, and the 650 guys are more positive but really don't know what they're talking about most of the time :lol:

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

As I said before ...for a guy that never played a day of hockey, past midget anyway....he know his hockey...

But he is wrong about Carson Focht....that was an astute pick that will pan out into a very valuable player...Carson can fly, he can shoot and he doesn't lose to many draws...he can play the PP and the PK and is hound dog just like Burrows was.

Caufield over Podkozin may be the way we should have gone ...but I am happy with Podz' and only time will tell....

I certainly share your opinion on him. All in all despite his comments, he scored our draft as a 1C which I believe is the highest thus far of anyone other team he's reviewed. 

It was a weird Draft for me. I had hopes of getting Cozens or Krebs, and then thought Seider would've been an interesting pick that could payoff huge. When Zegras was taken at #9, I thought for sure Benning would take Boldy or Krebs, and had totally forgotten that Podkolzin was still available. No one really knew where to rank him. He was anywhere from #3 to #30. I was surprised at first, but then felt happy with the pick, like finding lost money. I trust that Benning did his due diligence and interviewed Pod well, leaving with absolute confidence of Podkolzin's desire to play in the NHL (for the Canucks) as soon as he can. It was a bit of a risky pick by Canucks standards, as they rarely draft a Russian with their 1st. Benning believes he will be here when he's available though, which is why he gambled on him at #10. Some say that Podkolzin could play in the NHL this year, he's already got an NHL body and plays against men. I'm excited to see how much more he develops over the next two years, he'll be even better than he is now. And I think he'll have Tryamkin here to greet him when he arrives.  

• Upvote 1

I think people are sleeping a bit on Aidan McDonough. I ran his numbers through my evaluation tool and his value even as an overager is still around a late 3rd early 4th compared to last year. 

Wouldn't be surprised to see him turn out better than former teammate at Thayer and first round pick Jay O'Brien. Yes that is a low bar, but the pick value comparison is a nice piece of work from Judd.

He was rated #89 by Hockey Prospect for the 2018 draft last year, and he got better this year as a USHL rookie. 

He scored over a point per game in the playoffs for Cedar Rapids this year too. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

It was a weird Draft for me. I had hopes of getting Cozens or Krebs, and then thought Seider would've been an interesting pick that could payoff huge. When Zegras was taken at #9, I thought for sure Benning would take Boldy or Krebs, and had totally forgotten that Podkolzin was still available. No one really knew where to rank him. He was anywhere from #3 to #30. I was surprised at first, but then felt happy with the pick, like finding lost money. I trust that Benning did his due diligence and interviewed Pod well, leaving with absolute confidence of Podkolzin's desire to play in the NHL (for the Canucks) as soon as he can. It was a bit of a risky pick by Canucks standards, as they rarely draft a Russian with their 1st. Benning believes he will be here when he's available though, which is why he gambled on him at #10. Some say that Podkolzin could play in the NHL this year, he's already got an NHL body and plays against men. I'm excited to see how much more he develops over the next two years, he'll be even better than he is now. And I think he'll have Tryamkin here to greet him when he arrives.  

And Podkolzin will be starting his prime years, while starting on his ELC too.  That’s a huge plus for a team like ours, that will be competing at its peak during those years.  People talk about the old Wing’s Model of letting their prospects cook in the AHL until they are overdone and fully ready to compete.  Podkolzin is going to definitely be well done when he arrives here.  

Edited by Alflives
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Where was Podkolzin #30?

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2019-nhl-draft/2019-nhl-draft-rankings/

There are 15 rankings here and the lowest is 18 and the average is around 8?  Where did you find #30?

If he wasn't Russian where would he have been?

Edited by Dixon Ward

1 hour ago, Derp... said:

I think people are sleeping a bit on Aidan McDonough. I ran his numbers through my evaluation tool and his value even as an overager is still around a late 3rd early 4th compared to last year. 

Wouldn't be surprised to see him turn out better than former teammate at Thayer and first round pick Jay O'Brien. Yes that is a low bar, but the pick value comparison is a nice piece of work from Judd.

He was rated #89 by Hockey Prospect for the 2018 draft last year, and he got better this year as a USHL rookie. 

I too agree with this pick. I definitely don't expect much from a 7th round pick if at all but he has sleeper pick potential if he can follow the footsteps of fellow Canucks Tyler Madden & Adam Gaudette. At least his point totals and early birthdate seem to fit in same mold, so as long as McDonough has the same work ethic as those other two he should be fine.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Derp... said:

Didn't realize he was from Thayer. I believe Jack Rathbone was also from Thayer and there was rumblings that we were scouting Jim O'Brien (assuming he would fall to the 2nd round or further). Looks like the Canucks have some scouts looking here.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2019 at 12:54 PM, Dixon Ward said:

Where was Podkolzin #30?

It was more of a lazy guess, I heard somewhere he was as low as #23 at one point, but saying #3 to #30 just sounds better. I think some rankings had him lower because he's Russian playing the next 2 years in Russia. If he wasn't, I have no doubt he'd go Top 5.

41 minutes ago, mll said:

Montreal's scouting meetings ahead of the draft and draft day.  They expected Caufield to be gone in the top-10. 

Maybe I just missed him but no Bergevin in their scouting meeting? Also thought it was interesting that they didn't see any value in a guy that had not "hit the gym". That was something the Canucks scouting crew seen as a bit of a positive. Players were able to produce and not be at their physical peak yet meant they possibly had hidden upside other teams missed. A reason why they went with Madden over a more physically mature guy. I think Jake Wise was the guy I seen mentioned a lot around here before that draft. 

4 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Also thought it was interesting that they didn't see any value in a guy that had not "hit the gym". That was something the Canucks scouting crew seen as a bit of a positive. Players were able to produce and not be at their physical peak yet meant they possibly had hidden upside other teams missed. A reason why they went with Madden over a more physically mature guy. I think Jake Wise was the guy I seen mentioned a lot around here before that draft. 

Well, I mean, it kinda makes sense.

This is the GM of the team that “didn’t see any value in a guy that had not ‘hit the gym.’”

8C308EF4-450D-4203-84C8-AE1D66F30F47.jpeg.780098c5fcfc01a5e5ef45a3492c3961.jpeg

And this is the GM of the team that sees value in players who are “able to produce and not be at their physical peak.”

8148F280-0F3E-41B3-BAF5-A5A4AF8BF0A9.jpeg.a843484334587b15337db836b20f864d.jpeg

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Well, I mean, it kinda makes sense.

This is the GM of the team that “didn’t see any value in a guy that had not ‘hit the gym.’”

8C308EF4-450D-4203-84C8-AE1D66F30F47.jpeg.780098c5fcfc01a5e5ef45a3492c3961.jpeg

And this is the GM of the team that sees value in players who are “able to produce and not be at their physical peak.”

8148F280-0F3E-41B3-BAF5-A5A4AF8BF0A9.jpeg.a843484334587b15337db836b20f864d.jpeg

That guy Bergevin, geez. Guy is a tank. Can't beat dad bod Benning though. :wub:

6 hours ago, mll said:

Montreal's scouting meetings ahead of the draft and draft day.  They expected Caufield to be gone in the top-10. 

Zoom in at the sheet Bergevins got at 8:18 . They had their list in this order:

Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Zegras
4. Byram
5. Turcotte
6. Cozens
7. Boldy
8. Podkolzin
9. Dach
10. Caufield
11. Seider