The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

ZERO chance the Canucks get the 1st overall pick unless they get lucky in the lottery.

ZERO chance. JB will not trade away out best players just to get the 1st overall pick. 

ZERO chance he will not = some chance he will :bigblush:

Interesting thread here. As everyone knows, there's a lot of variance in the 3-11 range. I think the two main factors in that range will be Byram (are there teams that will take a defenseman out of need) and the American players (some teams seem to like the USNDP or the USHL more than others). We definitely seem to like our American players, but defense is our biggest weakness. It seems like it could go either way for us. 

I'm at the Giants vs Rockets game tonight. I've watched Byram three times and everytime I like him way more. The kid rarely makes a mistake, looks like a seasoned veteran. Smooth, controlled and composed. No doubt in my mind he is a top pairing dman. 

Lassi Thomson is massively underrated. You cant help, but be drawn to his play. Great at getting pucks through, super composed and his outlet passes are crisp. If we have a chance to pick him In the second, I would be pissed if we passed on him. 

Edited by KKnight

I want Byram so badly, I think he goes top 5, or 6, steal if he is there at 7...

cn u imagine byram and Hughes in our D corps, that reminds me a bit of Seabrook/Keith where one of them was always on the ice controlling the play, less physical tho...

a byram or Hughes pairing with tryamkin... amazing, jamazeballs..

Given the parity in quality of the players after the top 2, I bet teams pick based on organizational need.

AVS- hughes

LA-Kaako

Detroit - Cozens or Byram -needs a future  first line centermen in their pipeline and just got Bowey,have Hicketts, Cholowski.  Their centermen  Rasmussen and Veleno are prone gonna be more like 3/2C respectively. Could see them adding byram tho, but man, that'd be rough if they pass on one of the big renters

ANA-Dach needs centermen, lots of young d men still on nil team, but maybe they take byram ???

NJ-Podkolzin, desperately needs offence, would look good with zacha, hall, hirschier, starts in NHL in 1 yr, they also just drafted ty smith last year

EDM-Boldy, need high end wingers desperately, defence less of an issue with Bouchard who they drafted last year, Larsson, Nurse, Klefbom still in their prime

VAN-Byram, if he is gone, probably boldy is who they take. If both gone, wonder if they drop down a pick or 2 and get another second and take Soderstrom the 2nd ranked d man who plays on the right or Alex Newhook who can play any forward position.

On 2/28/2019 at 1:24 AM, Horvat is a Boss said:

Imagine if we had another 1st rounder in even one more of Benning's years besides 2014. Last year it could've gotten us Smith/Kupari/Farabee, the year before that Brannstrom/Valimaki/Foote/Vaakanainen or McAvoy/Chychrun/Fabbro the year before that. Imagine how much better we'd be looking if we took even one of those guys. 

I agree Jim doesn't think long term two extra first rounders would made this team a lot better Personally I would have drafted  Hague instead of Lind in 2017 and Bouchard instead of Hughes in 2018.

57 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

I want Byram so badly, I think he goes top 5, or 6, steal if he is there at 7...

cn u imagine byram and Hughes in our D corps, that reminds me a bit of Seabrook/Keith where one of them was always on the ice controlling the play, less physical tho...

a byram or Hughes pairing with tryamkin... amazing, jamazeballs..

Given the parity in quality of the players after the top 2, I bet teams pick based on organizational need.

AVS- hughes

LA-Kaako

Detroit - Cozens or Byram -needs a future  first line centermen in their pipeline and just got Bowey,have Hicketts, Cholowski.  Their centermen  Rasmussen and Veleno are prone gonna be more like 3/2C respectively. Could see them adding byram tho, but man, that'd be rough if they pass on one of the big renters

ANA-Dach needs centermen, lots of young d men still on nil team, but maybe they take byram ???

NJ-Podkolzin, desperately needs offence, would look good with zacha, hall, hirschier, starts in NHL in 1 yr, they also just drafted ty smith last year

EDM-Boldy, need high end wingers desperately, defence less of an issue with Bouchard who they drafted last year, Larsson, Nurse, Klefbom still in their prime

VAN-Byram, if he is gone, probably boldy is who they take. If both gone, wonder if they drop down a pick or 2 and get another second and take Soderstrom the 2nd ranked d man who plays on the right or Alex Newhook who can play any forward position.

Agree about Byram. Saw him at the LEC and he had a 4 point night. If he and Boldy are gone, I’d consider Krebs if I was Jimbo. He could be real good.

Edited by 2021Contender

12 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

ZERO chance the Canucks get the 1st overall pick unless they get lucky in the lottery.

ZERO chance. JB will not trade away out best players just to get the 1st overall pick. 

Zero chance? Has Jim told you this himself?

2 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

I agree Jim doesn't think long term two extra first rounders would made this team a lot better Personally I would have drafted  Hague instead of Lind in 2017 and Bouchard instead of Hughes in 2018.

Good thing you aren't the GM

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, Maddogy said:

Highly unlikely. This year's draft is deep for the top 10-15 draft positions. Jim Benning is going to stay put if their draft position is within that range. 

Besides,  Alexis Lafrenière is a better fit for Vancouver as he is a LW, a perfect fit for Pettersson and Boeser. He is also bigger, more physical and plays better D than Jack Hughes. Jim Benning might as well  swing for him in 2020. 

I don't know I could see Benning trying to make a big splash. He tried to get the 1st pick in 2014 right when he started, and in 2016 he had a PK Subban trade all but done if Columbus took Puljujarvi. 

I don't think we will make a trade to move up, but I wouldn't say its totally unlikely Benning atleast tries to make a big move. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2/28/2019 at 10:53 AM, komodo0921 said:

While I don't think a top three pick is in the cards for us this year, my hope is to find our way into the top six and hope Byrom is still on the board.

Seeing Hughes and Byrom as our top two left defensemen would really solidify that side. Hughes, Byrom, Juolevi is great look moving forward, provided Olli can avoid injury in the future.

Also hoping to see Korczak available for our second pick. While not as offensively skilled as Hughes or Byrom, he still puts up decent points and would provide a physical presence on the blueline, providing great balance to our d core.

Hughes          Woo

Byrom            Korczak

Juolevi           Stetcher

Imo, that would be a pretty enviable blueline.

I watched  Korczak last night And wasnt overly impressed. Lassi Thomson and Bowen Byram though, omggggg. In my eyes Thomson looks like a first rounder and Byram looks like he has top pairing potential, I would pick him as early as 3 at the draft. 

• Cheers 1

Scenario - Canucks get the lucky and win the draft lottery, able to select Hughes 1st overall. 

Would you be interested in a Horvat + 1st round 2020 and another prospect/pick to acquire whoever has the 2nd pick to get Kakko?

Top 2 centers would be Hughes and Petey, making Horvat expendable. I love horvat, but if we were to get Hughes it makes the future very interesting. Thoughts?

Edited by YungWee

4 minutes ago, YungWee said:

Scenario - Canucks get the lucky and win the draft lottery, able to select Hughes 1st overall. 

Would you be interested in a Horvat + 1st round 2020 and another prospect/pick to acquire whoever has the 2nd pick to get Kappo?

Top 2 centers would be Hughes and Petey, making Horvat expendable. I love horvat, but if we were to get Hughes it makes the future very interesting. Thoughts?

I don't think Hughes is slam dunk, Kakko is right there with him.  I get the Hughes connection, but they need w's more than C's.

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't think Hughes is slam dunk, Kakko is right there with him.  I get the Hughes connection, but they need w's more than C's.

I know, with the scenario I said, they'd be getting Hughes and Kakko. I misspelled Kakko for Kappo so maybe that confused you ahha

Turcotte is still ripping it up with another goal and an assist. Guy is making up for lost time. Considering the linemates he is playing with right now, he shouldnt be putting up the ppg that he is. It is gonna be tough to pass on him even if byram is on the board.

38 minutes ago, stawns said:

Hughes in the long run will probably transition to the wing. I cant see him sticking at center even with more and more players on the smaller side making the league. I just dont see him having enough strength to do it.

• Upvote 2