The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

1 hour ago, YungWee said:

Scenario - Canucks get the lucky and win the draft lottery, able to select Hughes 1st overall. 

Would you be interested in a Horvat + 1st round 2020 and another prospect/pick to acquire whoever has the 2nd pick to get Kakko?

Top 2 centers would be Hughes and Petey, making Horvat expendable. I love horvat, but if we were to get Hughes it makes the future very interesting. Thoughts?

No. 

Not high on kakko as a center as some are on this board. His game is closer to a laine then to a barkov.  As for the 2020 selection. I say no to that too. Chances are we are going to suck next season putting us into a very unique position of aquiring a a legit franchise rhd in justin barron. ^

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Isam said:

Hughes in the long run will probably transition to the wing. I cant see him sticking at center even with more and more players on the smaller side making the league. I just dont see him having enough strength to do it.

If the Canucks are lucky enough to draft Jack Hughes, they'll have plenty of time to test him at either centre or wing since Horvat, Pettersson and Gaudette are so young. Either way, Jack Hughes has a skillset for the modern NHL. 

The thing I like about him the most is how he's been soaked in hockey culture his whole life. His dad knows what it takes to succeed and he's been around players who have already made it in the NHL. The development needed in terms of conditioning, nutrition etc is likely already natural to him at this point. From all reports, Jack is also a student of the game which will likely enable him to overcome his size as an issue. 

19 minutes ago, Isam said:

Not high on kakko as a center as some are on this board. His game is closer to a laine then to a barkov.  As for the 2020 selection. I say no to that too. Chances are we are going to suck next season putting us into a very unique position of aquiring a a legit franchise rhd in justin barron. ^

Another year of pain??? Noooo

3 hours ago, YungWee said:

Scenario - Canucks get the lucky and win the draft lottery, able to select Hughes 1st overall. 

Would you be interested in a Horvat + 1st round 2020 and another prospect/pick to acquire whoever has the 2nd pick to get Kakko?

Top 2 centers would be Hughes and Petey, making Horvat expendable. I love horvat, but if we were to get Hughes it makes the future very interesting. Thoughts?

Hughes is a winger in my eyes. Kind of Patty Kane. I think trading Bo would be a huge mistake, unless it was for Seth Jones. Bo is the ultimate pro. I love his approach to the game and he has improved every year. 

Edited by KKnight
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, KKnight said:

Hughes is a winger in my eyes. Kind of Patty Kane. I think trading Bo would be a huge mistake, unless it was for Seth Jones. Bo is the ultimate pro. I love his approach to the game. 

I agree. He's our captain for years to come.

16 minutes ago, YungWee said:

Another year of pain??? Noooo

Oh yeah. Need more prospect depth unfortunately. Plus if you wanted to trade bo, then i would do it only if we can grab Byfield next year. Kid is looking like a franchise lvl center so far.

• Upvote 2

On 3/1/2019 at 9:32 AM, Maddogy said:

Highly unlikely. This year's draft is deep for the top 10-15 draft positions. Jim Benning is going to stay put if their draft position is within that range. 

Besides,  Alexis Lafrenière is a better fit for Vancouver as he is a LW, a perfect fit for Pettersson and Boeser. He is also bigger, more physical and plays better D than Jack Hughes. Jim Benning might as well  swing for him in 2020. 

I don't think Jim makes it to the 2020 draft if we suck again next year. IMO next year he has to make the playoffs or at least come close (miss by 2 pts kinda thing). Not finish dead last

5 hours ago, YungWee said:

I'd say no. 

Bo is only 23, keeps getting better every year and has that intense, inner drive to win. That's not something you can teach. Petey has that too. 

Sure, they may be tiring out this year, but they are learning and may get their third wind. Also, the fact Bo's still young, he has a good

6 - 8 years of high level hockey. He'll play a key part in any playoff success we have.

1C - Petey

2C - Bo 

That's that start of a winning combination. 

I say stay the course with those two, plus Gaudette's coming along nicely. 

1 hour ago, Outsiders said:

I don't think Jim makes it to the 2020 draft if we suck again next year. IMO next year he has to make the playoffs or at least come close (miss by 2 pts kinda thing). Not finish dead last

If Benning manages to find another Tyler Madden in 2019, a guy who was basically unknown and now having a great first year in the NCAA and played in the World Juniors, I say he's making it. 

This play highlights why Kaliyev isn't a consensus top-5 pick even though his numbers say he should be. He floats on the back check and then completely disengages from the play allowing the chance against. Moskal is smaller than him and he shouldn't have been able to get by him.

Kaliyev is this year's Merkley.

This is a post by pitseleh on Byram over on hfboards:

"It's a couple things. Keep in mind I am focused on the CHL.

The numbers for the top forwards from the CHL are unexceptional. Cozens, Dach and Krebs are producing more like forwards you would expect to see taken around 8-15 in a normal draft, not top-5 guys. The first two have attributes you can dream on, but from a production perspective they aren't there yet - they're similar (both in production and profile) to Jake Virtanen in that regard.

With Byram, it's that the overall collection of numbers are all very good. At even strength he is producing primary points at the same rate as guys like Ty Smith and Josh Brook despite being a year or two younger, despite not having much offensive support up front. We don't have Corsi, but he is by far leading his team in plus/minus, which I think is the best numeric evidence we have that he is driving play well. His team is one of the best in the WHL in goal differential with him as arguably their best player. He is on the young end age-wise for a draft eligible.

Post-Seth Jones, Evan Bouchard and Ryan Merkley are the only two defenders I see with clear production advantages, and each had their own specific issues that dropped their draft position below their production. Beyond that, there are a bunch of other comparables who have produced at a similar rate, but in each case I think Byram arguably has advantage (he's younger and plays with lower scoring players than Ekblad, Provorov, looks to be better defensively than Bean, better production with worse players than Juolevi, Sergachev and Chychrun, similar in profile to Noah Dobson but six months younger). Not to say he will be better, but he certainly stacks up well."

This poster said earlier in the thread that Byram's numbers push him closer to the Hughes/Kakko tier than the other players and this was his response when questioned on it.

Byram already seemed like a good bet to go top 5 based on the lack of defensemen available, but it seems to be turning into more and more of a sure thing. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, pluralsight said:

Ran the Tankathon simulator just now. Not bad for a first try:

image.png.0a65bda0fbed0480aef6f52257ab4512.png

:bigblush:

Our PP would be absolutely dynamite for once. Saying that if the avs get first pick, I think theyre taking Kaako regardless. With Rantanen practically becoming a star there, could really push them to to take him. 

Bo

Boeser.            Petey           

J.Hughes or Kakko

Q.Hughes

Pearson

Gaudette.         Virtanen

Baertschi

Eddy

Edited by KKnight
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

This is a post by pitseleh on Byram over on hfboards:

"It's a couple things. Keep in mind I am focused on the CHL.

The numbers for the top forwards from the CHL are unexceptional. Cozens, Dach and Krebs are producing more like forwards you would expect to see taken around 8-15 in a normal draft, not top-5 guys. The first two have attributes you can dream on, but from a production perspective they aren't there yet - they're similar (both in production and profile) to Jake Virtanen in that regard.

With Byram, it's that the overall collection of numbers are all very good. At even strength he is producing primary points at the same rate as guys like Ty Smith and Josh Brook despite being a year or two younger, despite not having much offensive support up front. We don't have Corsi, but he is by far leading his team in plus/minus, which I think is the best numeric evidence we have that he is driving play well. His team is one of the best in the WHL in goal differential with him as arguably their best player. He is on the young end age-wise for a draft eligible.

Post-Seth Jones, Evan Bouchard and Ryan Merkley are the only two defenders I see with clear production advantages, and each had their own specific issues that dropped their draft position below their production. Beyond that, there are a bunch of other comparables who have produced at a similar rate, but in each case I think Byram arguably has advantage (he's younger and plays with lower scoring players than Ekblad, Provorov, looks to be better defensively than Bean, better production with worse players than Juolevi, Sergachev and Chychrun, similar in profile to Noah Dobson but six months younger). Not to say he will be better, but he certainly stacks up well."

This poster said earlier in the thread that Byram's numbers push him closer to the Hughes/Kakko tier than the other players and this was his response when questioned on it.

Byram already seemed like a good bet to go top 5 based on the lack of defensemen available, but it seems to be turning into more and more of a sure thing. 

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Edmonton has leap-frogged the Canucks, pushing them to 6th.

image.png.ddee19a9e11b09d63e234b06bb8d2a8b.png

1 hour ago, canucklehead80 said:

I’d be thrilled with him at 6. Would look like another steal in a few years. 

Byram is going to be a stud. If we are fortunate enough to draft him our defense will be set for the next decade with two potential #1Ds in Hughes and Byram and solid two-way top-4 guys in Juolevi and Woo. 

We would still need some extra firepower up front to support Pettersson, Boeser, and Horvat but thankfully the two Northeastern kids Gaudette and Madden look like gems. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1