The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

20 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Calling it now if we draft Byram, Juolevi gets moved for a 1st in the same draft. Lots of RHD in the mid 1st area. 

Whoa, wouldn't that be interesting!

Maybe?:

Hughes - Woo

Byram - Soderstrom/Seider

although, it could be years before they're all ready

Edited by NUCKER67

30 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Calling it now if we draft Byram, Juolevi gets moved for a 1st in the same draft. Lots of RHD in the mid 1st area. 

Why give up on Juolevi now? 

Seems like the worst possible timing considering his injury and what it does to his current trade value. The kid was doing more than ok in the AHL before it got cut short because of surgery. He might take a little longer but he's a lock to be an NHLer and it's likely he will be a top 4. 

Back on topic, a lot of guys I like this year so I keep changing my really amateur top 10

Hughes

Kakko

Podkolzin

Cozens

Byram

Boldy

Turcotte

Dach

Krebs

Broberg

HM: Zegras, Harley, Kaliyev

Edited by DeltaSwede
  • Cheers 1

I think Byram is high on Benning's list. Not sure what other teams in the top 5 will need a Dman that early. I do like the idea of drafting Byram, and then trading Juoelvi for another 1st.  Not sure Benning takes Ds with the first two picks again though.

I'd like to see:

Byram

Brink

Sign Ferland as UFA

Ferland - Pettersson - Boeser

Goldobin - Horvat - Brink

4 hours ago, YungWee said:

I think you have to factor having both Hughes brothers on the same team. If we can get Jack, I'd say its much more likely Quinn (and Jack) stay here after RFA. If jack goes somewhere else, Quinn may want to join him....or Jack would want to join us. Interesting to think about.

Can't leave as RFA

Minimum 7 years in NHL or 27 yrs old until UFA and that's the earliest player could leave. 

52 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

Why give up on Juolevi now? 

Seems like the worst possible timing considering his injury and what it does to his current trade value. The kid was doing more than ok in the AHL before it got cut short because of surgery. He might take a little longer but he's a lock to be an NHLer and it's likely he will be a top 4. 

Back on topic, a lot of guys I like this year so I keep changing my really amateur top 10

Hughes

Kakko

Podkolzin

Cozens

Byram

Boldy

Turcotte

Dach

Krebs

Broberg

HM: Zegras, Harley, Kaliyev

Not giving up, selling from a position of strength for a position of need. 

15 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Not giving up, selling from a position of strength for a position of need. 

Do you think teams would give up a first rounder for a prospect who in a 2016 redraft would be pick maybe around 15/20?

So basically you trade your pick for a player with same value but two year older..

(I’m genuin curious, don’t want to sound polemic :lol:)

2 minutes ago, ItalianCanuck1 said:

Do you think teams would give up a first rounder for a prospect who in a 2016 redraft would be pick maybe around 15/20?

So basically you trade your pick for a player with same value but two year older..

(I’m genuin curious, don’t want to sound polemic :lol:)

Not saying they would but for a team like Edmonton more prospects do nothing to help a team that should be gunning for the playoffs.

It's not like Juolevi has zero value either, he was having a decent season in the AHL until his injury.

1 minute ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Not saying they would but for a team like Edmonton more prospects do nothing to help a team that should be gunning for the playoffs.

It's not like Juolevi has zero value either, he was having a decent season in the AHL until his injury.

I see your point.

I think that OJ is still a prospect, maybe more ready to step up than the future #15 pick of the 2019 draft, but I put him in the same category.

So I don’t see a team make a move like this, UNLESS Juolevi is part of a more extended package . 

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

Stop drafting Smerfs . I would be happy with one of Cozen's, Bryam , Dach. Also I would look at trading Virtanen + Plus for another pick in the top 10

Virtanen is not getting back a top ten pick in return....sorry.

No chance in hell at this point. Teams don't pay a top 10 pick for a 3rd line winger.

And I love Jake. I hope he can keep developing into a power forward. But if he is gonna do it he only has a couple years left imo.

Edit: the plus you would have to give up to get that top ten pick would have to be VERY significant. And the Canucks, imo, still don't have the kinda depth they would need to do that kind of move.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Upvote 3

The time to aqcuire extra first round picks for the 2019 draft has passed. All our guys were injured and Edler wouldn’t waive. Can’t see teams trading picks when they can just sign comparable guys in free agency without losing an important piece to do so. The guys that we have that could command 1rst round picks are the younger guys we should be keeping.

Next trade deadline if we want more picks cross your fingers Benning can move out the vets and replaceable bottom 6 guys. However those deals seem very hard for him to find unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Win the lottery for 3rd overall. Draft Byram.

Move Tanev (50% retained) to Vegas for Clarkson + 1st 2019 + something else. Draft Soderstrom.

Juolevi - Hughes

Byram - Soderstrom

Tryamkin - Woo

Hutton - Stetcher

We could probably get Bryam picking 6th or 7th. He's good but there are better forwards in this years draft for the top 5. Still I would be thrilled if we walked away with Bryam. Korczak, and Hugo Has in the first 3 rounds 

If we could walk away with Byram, Thomson or Brink. I would be a very happy man. That would open us up to big trade possibilities. Mind you if we got Byram in the first, I would go hard after a winger this offseason. Panarin, Skinner, Lee, Ferland. If we strike out or contract demands are too high, probably time to look for trade options at that point. 

Since I think Byram can play next year our D could look a whole lot different next year.

8 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

We could probably get Bryam picking 6th or 7th. He's good but there are better forwards in this years draft for the top 5. Still I would be thrilled if we walked away with Bryam. Korczak, and Hugo Has in the first 3 rounds 

There is a chance he is there at 6, but it is seeming less likely each day he is on fire in the WHL and looks like a legit number #1 D right now. He has 24 goals of which 5 are overtime game winners and is over a point per game in the W. I believe if he are in the three spot we should take him.   

15 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

You're right that Juolevi doesn't have zero value but his value right now is possibly the lowest it's ever been considering the extent of his injury. There are a lot of question marks regarding the future of his career. It would be wiser to let him heal up, come back to Utica next season, give him a showing in the NHL, and let his value recoup. Asset management and all that. What if he's fantastic? Well that's great, we are either keeping him or we are trading him for an equally impressive player in a position of need. 

What I mean by giving up on him, is that you are saying we should move him out for quite a lacklustre return when we have time on our side to see if he can become the player he was drafted to become or if he can at least bounce back and increase his trade value if that's the direction they decide to go in. He is 20 years old, we forget about that. Had 13 points in 18 AHL games before his season ended. There is plenty of upside there but we need to be patient. 

The Oilers and Puljujarvi is a similar situation but very different at the same time. Both players have lower trade value today than they were when they got drafted. Canucks have time on their hands when it comes to Juolevi while the Oilers may have a player and agent asking to get the hell out. 

Edited by DeltaSwede
  • Cheers 1

I think we end up picking 3rd with some lotto luck. GMJB then trades our 3rd OA plus Baertschi for the 6th OA and an additional 1st in the 15-20 range (Anaheim most likely or maybe LA). I just don't see Byram going in the top 5 given the need of some of the basement dwelling teams and forward talent.

We select Byram 6th,

Kalieyev, Lavoie, Leason with our additional 1st. I'm leaning towards Kaliyev.

Sign Karlsson to 7years/11.5million

Depending on Fabbro and his willingness to sign with Nashville, we could send a 2nd rounder with prospect like Gadjovich or Rathbone for him.

In a few years:

Goldobin Petterson Kaliyev

Madden Horvat Boeser

Virtanen Gaudette Lind

Roussell Beagle Motte

Karlsson Byram

Juolevi Hughes

Woo  Hutton/Stetcher

Demko

Dipietro

Move out: Sutter, Tanev, Schaller, Granlund, Leivo, Pearson, Eriksson, and the eventual retirement of Edler for more picks and prospects.

Currently I think the tiers could kinda look like:

Hughes

Kakko

Byram

Dach

Cozens

Podkolzin

Turcotte

Boldy

Krebs

Broberg

Zegras 

Soderstrom

Any of these guys i would be pretty with. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Currently I think the tiers could kinda look like:

Hughes

Kakko

Byram

Dach

Cozens

Podkolzin

Turcotte

Boldy

Krebs

Broberg

Zegras 

Any of these guys i would be pretty with. 

Probably can move boldy up to the second tier