The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

18 hours ago, Isam said:

You can mention turcotte along with hughes and kaako in the first tier.

I dont think many are mentioning him with them, Hughes and Kakko are on another level pretty much consensus 1st and 2nd picks. I have Boldy in the third tier only because he is a winger and centers tend to have more value at the draft.  

Interesting article about Mathew Boldy. Talks about his puck moving combined with his ability to move laterally and create space. His skills coach who also works with NHL players expects him to become a world class talent. He has extremely high hockey awareness and makes few mistakes while being a really good playmaker and goal scorer. Sounds like he could be exactly what were looking for in a 1st line LW.

Boldy Pettersson Boeser 

Boldy using offensive creativity to become top 2019 NHL Draft prospect

NTDP forward with soft hands, high skill has 11 goals in 13 games

by Mike G. Morreale @mikemorrealeNHL / NHL.com Staff Writer
 October 31st, 2018
cut.jpg

Every Thursday, NHL.com will look ahead to the 2019 NHL Draft with an in-depth profile on one of its top prospects.

Matthew Boldy said he considers himself a skilled player with "silky smooth hands."

That assessment might not be that far-fetched, even at this stage of his development.

"I think my ability with the puck and being able to see the ice and make plays where others might panic are strengths," Boldy said.

Boldy (6-foot-1, 187 pounds) is a projected first-round pick in the 2019 NHL Draft and the 17-year-old forward received an A rating on NHL Central Scouting's preliminary players to watch list. He's committed to Boston College next season.

"[Boldy] is playing a different sport than hockey on some nights with the way he can juggle a puck, self-flip the puck to himself and chip pucks into areas with self-saucer passes," NTDP U-18 coach John Wroblewski said.

He leads USA Hockey's National Team Development Program under-18 team with 11 goals and four shorthanded goals in 13 games, and is third with 17 points. Boldy also had two goals and an assist and was named the most valuable player at USA Hockey's All-American Prospect Game on Sept. 20 to help lead Team Jamie Langenbrunner to a 6-4 win against Team Jordan Leopold.

ST. PAUL, MN - SEPTEMBER 19: Team Langenbrunner forward Matt Boldy (9) scores a 3rd period goal on this shot during the USA Hockey All-American Prospects Game between Team Leopold and Team Langenbrunner on September 19, 2018 at Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul, MN. Team Leopold defeated Team Langenbrunner 6-4.(Photo by Nick Wosika/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

Forward Jack Hughes, the projected No. 1 pick in the 2019 draft who leads the NTDP U-18 team with 20 points (three goals, 17 points), has at times centered a line with Boldy.

"It's no fluke that Matt is in a rhythm and playing so well," Hughes said. "He's a very special player."

Said Wroblewski: "He never overhandles the puck and he's prepped and ready to attack, whether that's the big shot, flipping a puck to himself or finding a teammate. To me he's got to be one of the most exciting wingers of this draft. He's a power forward with that scoring touch."

Todd Boldy, Matthew's father, often is asked how his son became such a crafty puck handler.

"I remember playing floor hockey with Matthew and his brother, Mike, in our garage, and we'd come back inside and watch hockey on television," Todd Boldy said. "That's when I started seeing Matthew juggling the ball on his stick while sitting there watching the game. People ask me how are his hands so good, and the thing I think of is him sitting there on his knees just stick-handling the ball, watching TV."

Todd Boldy never played hockey. He received a football scholarship to play running back at the University of Maine for one season before transferring to American International College in Springfield, Massachusetts.

Growing up in Millis, Massachusetts, football wasn't an option for Matthew so he followed the lead of his older brother, Michael.

"My dad always loved hockey so he got us into that instead of football," Matthew said. "He liked the physicality, the quickness and speed of hockey."

Michael Boldy, 21, plays club hockey at Keene State College in New Hampshire. Though he might not be as talented as his brother, he still had a big influence on Matt.

"I grew up watching hockey with Mike and he was a big part of my life on and off the ice," Matthew said. "I'd go up against him all the time in the front yard."

Boldy has learned that his gifted hands weren't enough to get him where he wanted to be as a hockey player, and turned his focus to improving his skating.

"When I was younger I had a short and choppy stride so I needed to work on my edges and eventually build a longer stride," he said. He has done that while working with Adam Nicholas of Stride Envy Hockey, located in Boston and Maine.

"I don't believe that straight line skating is such a big factor for player development after 14 years old just because the ice shrinks, so you have to learn to create and build ice and preserve space," said Nicholas, who has worked with Boldy since the 2015-16 season. "If you skate in straight lines defenders will angle and push you out of time and space into the boards.

"We worked on creating speed differentials in tight areas so that Matt could get free and do what he does best with his hands and shot. He's learned to redirect his speed in other areas so that he's not just going straight with speed, but being manipulative to make the defender think he's going one way and then go the other."

Nicholas, who has worked with Calgary Flames defenseman Noah Hanifin, Ottawa Senators center Colin White and Minnesota Wild left wing Jordan Greenway, said Boldy is exactly where he needs to be at this point in his development.

"Matty plays the modern game," Nicholas said. "He's got the body structure and the footwork. I think Matt Boldy is going to be a world-class talent, and if he's not he'll work to make sure he is."

Edited by kenhodgejr
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Pears said:

If we win the lottery, with the draft being in Vancouver would bringing Quinn up to select Jack be a power move of all time?

Tears would be welling up...lol  What a moment that would be.

• Upvote 1

Boldy is the guy I hope we go for and the fact that he’s slated to play for Boston College makes it someone that Jim would have his eye on 

anyone know where he’s ranked on the most recent draft rankings?

edit: nm I quickly looked and he was ranked 6th among NA skaters behind 

Dach

Cousins

Byram

Turcotte 

on that note I havent read anything about Kirby Dach on this message board

Edited by Off_The_Schneid!

5 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I dont think many are mentioning him with them, Hughes and Kakko are on another level pretty much consensus 1st and 2nd picks. I have Boldy in the third tier only because he is a winger and centers tend to have more value at the draft.  

I think are devaluing turcotte because of the injuries and thats it. His ppg this season has been better then zegras while taking the brunt of the dirty work and working with less skilled linemates then both hughes and zegras. You are right not many people are mentioning though and that sucks because he is the most complete player in this draft. The kid can do it all.

I'm liking Byram more and more. Canucks could have a very nice D-core in a few years:

Hughes - Woo

Byram - Stecher

Hutton - Biega

Juolevi

Rathbone

The forward group could use some help too, but it's not looking too bad.

2020 1st - Pettersson - Boeser

Leivo - Horvat - Goldobin

Pearson - Gaudette - Virtanen

Roussel - Beagle - MacEwen

Lockwood

13 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I'm liking Byram more and more. Canucks could have a very nice D-core in a few years:

Hughes - Woo

Byram - Stecher

Hutton - Biega

Juolevi

Rathbone

Lockwood

now imagine for a second that the canucks get a top 2 pick this summer and are able to leverage their burgeoning core, deep pockets and wealth of cap space to convince a high profile ufa or 3 to sign up ...

hughes/kakko-horvat-boeser

panarin-pettersson-ferlund

leivo-gaudette-virtanen

pearson-beagle-roussel

goldobin

motte

edler-karlsson

hughes-tanev

hutton-stecher

juolevi

markstrom

demko

out, in whatever way possible:

-eriksson (to ottawa, if francesco is willing to eat his july 1 signing bonus?)

-sutter

-baertschi (ltir or retirement?)

-granlund

-schaller

-spooner

-pouliot

-biega (back to utica where he belongs)

-schenn

tas - I like your lineup much better, but the Canucks getting a Top 2 pick this year, and signing Ferland, Panarin and Karlsson? 

They are nowhere near that lucky, but damn, we'd be a contender overnight with that lineup. Nice to imagine.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

tas - I like your lineup much better, but the Canucks getting a Top 2 pick this year, and signing Ferland, Panarin and Karlsson? 

They are nowhere near that lucky, but damn, we'd be a contender overnight with that lineup. Nice to imagine.

yeah, it's a fantasy, for sure, but the canucks have needs, space, and dollars, so it's a fantasy at least somewhat grounded in reality. the belief out there seems to be that the canucks are going to try to do big things this offseason ... they might not be able to because there's a lot of teams out there with lots to offer, but it's interesting to think about. convincing those 3 free agents that, with their additions to a terrific young core, this team immediately opens up a several year window of contending would be the trick. but they'd have to be all in, because it would be impossible to keep everybody long term. 

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Hughes - Woo

Byram - Stecher

Hutton - Biega

Juolevi

Rathbone

Lockwood

I like Byram as well and Im sure he could step into the NHL at some point next year. Personally I really like Soderstroms game. I think he could really young out our RD side.

Hughes-Woo

Juolevi-Stecher

Hutton-Soderstrom

On another note if we end up winning the lottery and are #3 would anyone trade down to say NYRs high 1st and 2nd?

I was just wondering what it takes to win a Cup. Many things obviously, but one thing that stands out to me is the championship team having at least one Top 2 pick on the team. I went back from 2000 to 2018, and the only teams that didn't have a Top 2 pick were DET in 2008, NJ in 2000 and 2003, and COL in 2001. Those teams were so fortunate with the stars aligning, and had great drafting.

The Canucks did have a couple of 2nd overall picks go to the SCF (Daniel and Trev), but those teams couldn't get it done.

Here are the Top 2 picks (players) for the championship teams this millennium:

2000 - NJ - n/a

2001 - COL - n/a

2002 - DET - Shanahan - 2nd

2003 - NJ - n/a

2004 - TB - Lecavalier - 1st

2005 - no playoffs

2006 - CAR - E. Staal - 2nd, and Tverdovsky - 2nd

2007 - ANA - Pronger - 2nd

2008 - DET - n/a

2009 - PIT - Crosby - 1st, Fleury - 1st, Malkin - 2nd, J. Staal - 2nd

2010 - CHI - Kane - 1st

2011 - BOS - Seguin - 2nd

2012 - LA - Doughty - 2nd

2013 - CHI - Kane - 1st

2014 - LA - Doughty - 2nd

2015 - CHI - Kane - 1st

2016 - PIT - Crosby - 1st, Fleury - 1st, Malkin - 2nd

2017 - PIT - Crosby - 1st, Fleury - 1st, Malkin - 2nd

2018 - WAS - Ovechkin - 1st

We gotta face it, the Canucks need a Top 2 pick if they want to win a Cup

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I was just wondering what it takes to win a Cup. Many things obviously, but one thing that stands out to me is the championship team having at least one Top 2 pick on the team. I went back from 2000 to 2018, and the only teams that didn't have a Top 2 pick were DET in 2008, NJ in 2000 and 2003, and COL in 2001. Those teams were so fortunate with the stars aligning, and had great drafting.

The Canucks did have a couple of 2nd overall picks go to the SCF (Daniel and Trev), but those teams couldn't get it done.

Here are the Top 2 picks (players) for the championship teams this millennium:

2000 - NJ - n/a

2001 - COL - n/a

2002 - DET - Shanahan - 2nd

2003 - NJ - n/a

2004 - TB - Lecavalier - 1st

2005 - no playoffs

2006 - CAR - E. Staal - 2nd, and Tverdovsky - 2nd

2007 - ANA - Pronger - 2nd

2008 - DET - n/a

2009 - PIT - Crosby - 1st, Fleury - 1st, Malkin - 2nd, J. Staal - 2nd

2010 - CHI - Kane - 1st

2011 - BOS - Seguin - 2nd

2012 - LA - Doughty - 2nd

2013 - CHI - Kane - 1st

2014 - LA - Doughty - 2nd

2015 - CHI - Kane - 1st

2016 - PIT - Crosby - 1st, Fleury - 1st, Malkin - 2nd

2017 - PIT - Crosby - 1st, Fleury - 1st, Malkin - 2nd

2018 - WAS - Ovechkin - 1st

We gotta face it, the Canucks need a Top 2 pick if they want to win a Cup

In a redraft Pettersson goes first. Does that count?

Would be a dream to add Hughes or Kakko this year with our 1st and then a solid RD prospect like Seider with our 2nd (more likely he goes in the 1st though)

30 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Would be a dream to add Hughes or Kakko this year with our 1st and then a solid RD prospect like Seider with our 2nd (more likely he goes in the 1st though)

More and more I get the feeling that this is the year that Benning HAS to acquire another 1st rounder. Our rebuild would be much further along if we hit on a mid 1st from any of the last three drafts (any of Fabbro, McAvoy, Smith, Vakanainen, Foote, Brannstrom, Chychrun, Cholowski or Vaalimaki could have been ours and that's just looking at the defensemen). With the draft being in Vancouver this year, Benning might feel extra pressure to make a splash. Some combination of moving Tanev + taking back a cap dump should be able to get it done. The dream (at least for me) would be to land Soderstrom with that acquired pick. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Maybe he does, maybe not. I mean, it's more just something I noticed with the Top 2 picks. I think Pettersson is worthy of a Top 2 pick, so maybe that's enough? lol 

Just now, Horvat is a Boss said:

More and more I get the feeling that this is the year that Benning HAS to acquire another 1st rounder. Our rebuild would be much further along if we hit on a mid 1st from any of the last three drafts (any of Fabbro, McAvoy, Smith, Vakanainen, Foote, Brannstrom, Chychrun, Cholowski or Vaalimaki could have been ours and that's just looking at the defensemen). With the draft being in Vancouver this year, Benning might feel extra pressure to make a splash. Some combination of moving Tanev + taking back a cap dump should be able to get it done. The dream (at least for me) would be to land Soderstrom with that acquired pick. 

Unfortunately, I don't believe in this F.O creativity.

Hope I'm wrong.

• Upvote 1