The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

I sure hope Benning's "splash" isn't the two extra 6th rounders lol

Sutter, Baertschi, Eriksson and Granlund will all be healthy after the season ends, and need to be traded for picks/prospects at the Draft. Somehow, someway.

33 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

More and more I get the feeling that this is the year that Benning HAS to acquire another 1st rounder. Our rebuild would be much further along if we hit on a mid 1st from any of the last three drafts (any of Fabbro, McAvoy, Smith, Vakanainen, Foote, Brannstrom, Chychrun, Cholowski or Vaalimaki could have been ours and that's just looking at the defensemen). With the draft being in Vancouver this year, Benning might feel extra pressure to make a splash. Some combination of moving Tanev + taking back a cap dump should be able to get it done. The dream (at least for me) would be to land Soderstrom with that acquired pick. 

Yeah but do we have that other GM wants and we don't. Virt and/or Gaud + may fetch us a late first and at that point I rather keep them. 

Tanev sadly may fetch us a late second at most at this point. 

29 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

More and more I get the feeling that this is the year that Benning HAS to acquire another 1st rounder. Our rebuild would be much further along if we hit on a mid 1st from any of the last three drafts (any of Fabbro, McAvoy, Smith, Vakanainen, Foote, Brannstrom, Chychrun, Cholowski or Vaalimaki could have been ours and that's just looking at the defensemen). With the draft being in Vancouver this year, Benning might feel extra pressure to make a splash. Some combination of moving Tanev + taking back a cap dump should be able to get it done. The dream (at least for me) would be to land Soderstrom with that acquired pick. 

I believe Soderstrom goes around 10th overall. I don’t think we could aqcuire another pick that high. If there is another dman to look for around 20 I think that guy should be Thomas Harley he’s got great offensive potential with a big frame. Kid has some Chabot comparisons on playing style. If he’s not there I’d go Brink or Pelletier!

3 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

I like Byram as well and Im sure he could step into the NHL at some point next year. Personally I really like Soderstroms game. I think he could really young out our RD side.

Hughes-Woo

Juolevi-Stecher

Hutton-Soderstrom

On another note if we end up winning the lottery and are #3 would anyone trade down to say NYRs high 1st and 2nd?

Depends how far down the Rangers pick ends up being.

I'd probably be inclined to just take Byram at #3. 

1 hour ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

More top end talent in the the 2020 draft. Rather get a first then.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

I like Byram as well and Im sure he could step into the NHL at some point next year. Personally I really like Soderstroms game. I think he could really young out our RD side.

Hughes-Woo

Juolevi-Stecher

Hutton-Soderstrom

On another note if we end up winning the lottery and are #3 would anyone trade down to say NYRs high 1st and 2nd?

If they finish around where they are now at 9th pick I don’t think I’d even do the 3rd for the 9th and 25th overall picks (NYR top two picks in this upcoming draft as it stands today). Canucks have a lot of quantity and not enough quality. Moving down risks the chance at hitting on a guy. I really do believe Byram goes 3rd overall and I’d like to be that team. I am also a big Soderstrom fan and I wouldn’t be surprised if he was gone before 9th overall. So you could potentially trade down and miss out on both guys.

Edited by flickyoursedin

4 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

I believe Soderstrom goes around 10th overall. I don’t think we could aqcuire another pick that high. If there is another dman to look for around 20 I think that guy should be Thomas Harley he’s got great offensive potential with a big frame. Kid has some Chabot comparisons on playing style. If he’s not there I’d go Brink or Pelletier!

I felt similar about Smith last year (had him in my top 10) but we watched him fall all the way to 17. Last year was different though with so many defensemen at the top of the first round, so there's probably a higher chance of Soderstrom actually going that high (as he probably should).

I haven't been able to follow the draft that much this year and am currently only familiar with the top end guys. There are always some guys in the 20s that turn out pretty good.

4 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

Yeah but do we have that other GM wants and we don't. Virt and/or Gaud + may fetch us a late first and at that point I rather keep them. 

Tanev sadly may fetch us a late second at most at this point. 

Tanev himself probably won't get us what he did a year or two ago, but taking back a cap dump to enhance our return (Callahan, Clarkson, Backes type contracts) should be able to make up at least most of the difference if the team is entering a cap situation. The Flyers did this two years ago by taking back Lehtera's contract from the Blues to land 2 1sts for Schenn. 

We really should've started moving assets earlier though. Imagine if we traded Tanev to Calgary instead of Hamonic. We would've gotten a slightly worse return (probably not two 2nds), but we would most likely have Dobson and Hughes in our system right now. Even if we just KEPT our picks we could have Andersson and McKeown in our system, which would really help our RD depth, not to mention Asplund and Gustavsson on top of that.

It's one of Benning's biggest shortcomings in my opinion, but I feel like there's extra pressure on him to do something this year. 

4 hours ago, Isam said:

More top end talent in the the 2020 draft. Rather get a first then.

I agree and it would probably be better for the organization, but I think Benning only does something this year because we're hosting the draft. Any other year we shouldn't expect anything. 

• Upvote 1

One UFA signing and one puckmover (Byram) makes this team's future so much better on paper.

Panarin - Pettersson - _____

_____- Horvat - Boeser

Leivo - Gaudette - ____

Virtanen - _____ - McKewan

Byram - Hughes

Woo - Stecher

____- Juolevi

Markstrom

Demko

DiPietro

(I don't like Hutton and don't see him staying longterm).

Edited by Zoolander

4 hours ago, Zoolander said:

One UFA signing and one puckmover (Byram) makes this team's future so much better on paper.

Panarin - Pettersson - _____

_____- Horvat - Boeser

Leivo - Gaudette - ____

Virtanen - _____ - McKewan

Byram - Hughes

Woo - Stecher

____- Juolevi

Markstrom

Demko

DiPietro

(I don't like Hutton and don't see him staying longterm).

Just curious.... which year are you expecting that D-core to be competitive from?

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

I think Goldobin is starting to become a pretty good NHL player. He's not exactly racking up the points, but he's doing a lot more away from the puck than waiting on the outside for a pass. He's getting involved in the forecheck, gritty along the boards etc. And he's been making some real nice passes and trying to set up plays. I think next year we'll see a new and improved Goldobin, worthy of a Top 6 spot.

I'm not sure that Paranin or Skinner will sign in VAN. They'll probably want to play on a contender and will be expensive. I see Benning more of a "what's on sale today?" kind of guy. He'll get a reasonable facsimile of a Top player like Nyqvist or Panik and hope he ups his game playing with Pettersson.

As for the Draft, it wasn't long ago I was thinking they'd pick around #12-15. But now, it looks like they may end up with another Top 10, maybe even Top 5. I don't mind this at all, because they're not going to make the playoffs anyway. Canucks could be getting Hughes, Kakko, Dach, Cozens or Byram. Any one of them would be a great addition. Bring on the Draft lottery.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think Goldobin is starting to become a pretty good NHL player. He's not exactly racking up the points, but he's doing a lot more away from the puck than waiting on the outside for a pass. He's getting involved in the forecheck, gritty along the boards etc. And he's been making some real nice passes and trying to set up plays. I think next year we'll see a new and improved Goldobin, worthy of a Top 6 spot.

I'm not sure that Paranin or Skinner will sign in VAN. They'll probably want to play on a contender and will be expensive. I see Benning more of a "what's on sale today?" kind of guy. He'll get a reasonable facsimile of a Top player like Nyqvist or Panik and hope he ups his game playing with Pettersson.

As for the Draft, it wasn't long ago I was thinking they'd pick around #12-15. But now, it looks like they may end up with another Top 10, maybe even Top 5. I don't mind this at all, because they're not going to make the playoffs anyway. Canucks could be getting Hughes, Kakko, Dach, Cozens or Byram. Any one of them would be a great addition. Bring on the Draft lottery.

Agreed about Goldobin. Watching him for the past 2 weeks, hes much more confident with the puck. Visually he's been the Canucks best forward over the past 14 days. (Not saying much butttt) I hope he continues his play and the canucks include him in there plans come September.

• Upvote 2

LONGEST WAIT TO DRAFT FIRST OVERALL, NHL History

VAN - 49 years*
CGY - 47*
CHI - 44
HRT/CAR - 40*
STL - 39
EDM - 31

* denotes active streak

Did you know that of the 30 current franchises FOURTEEN of them saw their first 1st overall selection in the FIRST FIVE YEARS of the franchises existence. (VGK does not qualify yet) Nine teams picked first overall either before or after their very first season.

It's time, NHL. Right this wrong and give Vancouver its first 1st overall pick ever in front of its own fans as we celebrate our 50th season of hockey in this beautiful city. We haven't had an iconic brother duo in months! Please hockey gods make it so!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

VAN - 49 years*
CGY - 47*
CHI - 44
HRT/CAR - 40*
STL - 39
EDM - 31

* denotes active streak

Did you know that of the 30 current franchises FOURTEEN of them saw their first 1st overall selection in the FIRST FIVE YEARS of the franchises existence. (VGK does not qualify yet) Nine teams picked first overall either before or after their very first season.

It's time, NHL. Right this wrong and give Vancouver its first 1st overall pick ever in front of its own fans as we celebrate our 50th season of hockey in this beautiful city. We haven't had an iconic brother duo in months! Please hockey gods make it so!

If we want the first overall pick, then Aquilini will have to buck up BIG money.  I wonder what the payment is to get that pick?

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If we want the first overall pick, then Aquilini will have to buck up BIG money.  I wonder what the payment is to get that pick?

Whatever it takes, if he can purchase a lacrosse team and a E sports Overwatch team then gosh darn it he can pay Gary a big laundry bag with an $ sign on it just like the beagle boys had in those DuckTales toons

10645CE2-B640-4FC6-9FF0-E09CAFC125F1.jpeg

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

VAN - 49 years*
CGY - 47*
CHI - 44
HRT/CAR - 40*
STL - 39
EDM - 31

* denotes active streak

I would rather the Canucks get the 2nd overall pick. Don't need another tiny tim in Hughes.  Get Kakko!!!