The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

21 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I would rather the Canucks get the 2nd overall pick. Don't need another tiny tim in Hughes.  Get Kakko!!!

We already have Bo, who is far better than Koko.  Jack Hughes, like his older brother Quinn, is a generational offensive talent.  We need him!  He will be putting up over 100 point/season.  Having him and Petey up front, with Quinn on D, makes us instant Cup contenders.      

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I felt similar about Smith last year (had him in my top 10) but we watched him fall all the way to 17. Last year was different though with so many defensemen at the top of the first round, so there's probably a higher chance of Soderstrom actually going that high (as he probably should).

I haven't been able to follow the draft that much this year and am currently only familiar with the top end guys. There are always some guys in the 20s that turn out pretty good.

Tanev himself probably won't get us what he did a year or two ago, but taking back a cap dump to enhance our return (Callahan, Clarkson, Backes type contracts) should be able to make up at least most of the difference if the team is entering a cap situation. The Flyers did this two years ago by taking back Lehtera's contract from the Blues to land 2 1sts for Schenn. 

We really should've started moving assets earlier though. Imagine if we traded Tanev to Calgary instead of Hamonic. We would've gotten a slightly worse return (probably not two 2nds), but we would most likely have Dobson and Hughes in our system right now. Even if we just KEPT our picks we could have Andersson and McKeown in our system, which would really help our RD depth, not to mention Asplund and Gustavsson on top of that.

It's one of Benning's biggest shortcomings in my opinion, but I feel like there's extra pressure on him to do something this year. 

tough to move guys when they're on ir at the deadline

2 hours ago, stawns said:

tough to move guys when they're on ir at the deadline

What from my post implied that the potential trades I was talking about would be made at the deadline? I was saying Tanev could be moved at the draft with some kind of cap dump being taken back to enhance our return.

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

We already have Bo, who is far better than Koko.  Jack Hughes, like his older brother Quinn, is a generational offensive talent.  We need him!  He will be putting up over 100 point/season.  Having him and Petey up front, with Quinn on D, makes us instant Cup contenders.      

I dont know about that. This defense needs a lot of work, before you can say that. Playoffs? Maybe. Cup Contenders? Not a chance. 

If we got hughes. Our confirmed forward depth chart would be: 

? - Petey - Boeser 

Pearson/Leivo - Horvat - Hughes 

Pearson/Leivo/Roussel- Gaudette - Virtanen 

Motte - Beagle - MacEwen 

? ?

So you would have a few questions. 

How do we shed Eriksson's contract? 

Do we want to keep Goldy, Granlund, Sutter?

If it was me and we got Hughes. 

I personally would look at adding Ferland to add some much needed sandpaper to our top 6. I think with Petey and Boeser or Horvat and hughes, he could consistently pop in 15-20. Saying that I wouldn't go over 4-5 years at a cap hit of just under 5. 

From there our efforts should be focused on D. 

Leivo - Petey - Boeser 

Ferland - Horvat - Hughes 

Pearson - Gaudette - Virtanen 

Roussel - Beagle - Motte or MacEwen.

That's a lot more depth than we had this year. 

pp 1 : 

Ferland (front of the net)

Boeser.               Petey

J.Hughes

Q.Hughes 

PP2: 

Pearson 

Gaudette.    Leivo

Horvat

Eddy

• Like 1

Imo, Hughes' shot isn't as bad as people make it out to be. He will never be a fifty goal scorer, but he will hit thirty plus consistently once he works at it more. The accuracy is there, but it just needs more juice.

There's a lot to dissect there:

1) Lafreniere and Byfield look incredible for next year. It looks like it could be similar to a McDavid - Eichel situation with two franchise (or better) forwards available at the top of the draft. 

2) Kaliyev, Kakko and Byram have he best translation numbers in this draft. Kaliyev with the highest raw total, Kakko in the highest level of competition and Byram playing the most important position. I'm still wary of Kaliyev, but the numbers are high end.

3) Makar and Q. Hughes have been neck and neck all year, but Makar has pulled ahead recently. 

4) Adding another mid 1st and taking the right guy could be a great boost for our prospect pool. 5 players on the list were taken after 15th overall and the majority of the list wasn't drafted in the 1st round.

7 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

There's a lot to dissect there:

1) Lafreniere and Byfield look incredible for next year. It looks like it could be similar to a McDavid - Eichel situation with two franchise (or better) forwards available at the top of the draft. 

2) Kaliyev, Kakko and Byram have he best translation numbers in this draft. Kaliyev with the highest raw total, Kakko in the highest level of competition and Byram playing the most important position. I'm still wary of Kaliyev, but the numbers are high end.

3) Makar and Q. Hughes have been neck and neck all year, but Makar has pulled ahead recently. 

4) Adding another mid 1st and taking the right guy could be a great boost for our prospect pool. 5 players on the list were taken after 15th overall and the majority of the list wasn't drafted in the 1st round.

I found Velino and Wilde's position really interesting seeing where they were drafted. 

On 3/2/2019 at 12:54 PM, YungWee said:

Scenario - Canucks get the lucky and win the draft lottery, able to select Hughes 1st overall. 

Would you be interested in a Horvat + 1st round 2020 and another prospect/pick to acquire whoever has the 2nd pick to get Kakko?

Top 2 centers would be Hughes and Petey, making Horvat expendable. I love horvat, but if we were to get Hughes it makes the future very interesting. Thoughts?

Lol this aint NHL 19 bro. Horvat is one of the best young 2 way centers in the league. You don't trade him PLUS a first rounder for potential. Kakko isn't Ovie man.

If we're lucky enough to land hughes, you move him to the wing. He's too small to play center in the NHL anyways. Petey/boeser, Bo/Hughes, Gaudette/ Jake - three great pairings to carry us to a cup

On 3/7/2019 at 4:14 PM, NUCKER67 said:

I was just wondering what it takes to win a Cup. Many things obviously, but one thing that stands out to me is the championship team having at least one Top 2 pick on the team. I went back from 2000 to 2018, and the only teams that didn't have a Top 2 pick were DET in 2008, NJ in 2000 and 2003, and COL in 2001. Those teams were so fortunate with the stars aligning, and had great drafting.

The Canucks did have a couple of 2nd overall picks go to the SCF (Daniel and Trev), but those teams couldn't get it done.

Here are the Top 2 picks (players) for the championship teams this millennium:

2000 - NJ - n/a

2001 - COL - n/a

2002 - DET - Shanahan - 2nd

2003 - NJ - n/a

2004 - TB - Lecavalier - 1st

2005 - no playoffs

2006 - CAR - E. Staal - 2nd, and Tverdovsky - 2nd

2007 - ANA - Pronger - 2nd

2008 - DET - n/a

2009 - PIT - Crosby - 1st, Fleury - 1st, Malkin - 2nd, J. Staal - 2nd

2010 - CHI - Kane - 1st

2011 - BOS - Seguin - 2nd

2012 - LA - Doughty - 2nd

2013 - CHI - Kane - 1st

2014 - LA - Doughty - 2nd

2015 - CHI - Kane - 1st

2016 - PIT - Crosby - 1st, Fleury - 1st, Malkin - 2nd

2017 - PIT - Crosby - 1st, Fleury - 1st, Malkin - 2nd

2018 - WAS - Ovechkin - 1st

We gotta face it, the Canucks need a Top 2 pick if they want to win a Cup

I think you're over simplifying it bro. Saying a top 2 pick means nothing. Look at the oilers. Seguin didn't do anything for their cup run. And pretty much every one else is a superstar. Its not about top 1 or 2 its about having a game breaker.

And we arguably got the best player in the draft at number 5 in Petey so we have one. Now Quinn has to show he can be another steal....a 'team' wins a cup'.