The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

On June 24, 2018 at 10:53 AM, Qwags said:

Now that the 2018 draft has come and gone, I believe it is time to look to next year. The 2019 draft looks to be very centre heavy, with plenty of skill coming from the WHL.

Top Prospects of the 2019 Draft

JACK HUGHES, C (US NATIONAL TEAM)

Orlando Florida native who many are calling the next Patrick Kane. The top line centre in the US program who gets thinks done with strong hands, terrific vision and quick feet. Great anticipation and the ability to hold pucks on his stick no matter where he ventures. Has a terrific shot when he uses it too. May project to wing, but currently playing centre for the forseeable future. Currently the consensus #1 pick. 

--- Regular Season ---  ---- Playoffs ----
Season   Team                        Lge    GP    G    A  Pts  PIM  GP   G   A Pts PIM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016-17  Georgetown Raiders          OJHL   --   --   --   --   --   9   1   2   3   2
2017-18  U.S. National Under-17 Te   USHL    9    3   12   15    6  --  --  --  --  --
2017-18  U.S. National Under-18 Te   USHL   18   18   21   39    4  --  --  --  --  --
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALEXANDER NEWHOOK, C (VICTORIA GRIZZLIES/BCHL)
Savvy scoring wing with exceptional foot speed, and is constantly driving up ice and has a good shot, great passing abilities and a high hockey IQ. Committed to Boston College for the 2019-2020 season. Recently named captain of the Grizzlies, well deserved after a dominant season, in which he notched 66 points in 45 games. Currently developing his already great two-way game.

Season   Team                        Lge    GP    G    A  Pts  PIM  GP   G   A Pts PIM
2016-17  Aurora Tigers               OJHL    1    0    1    1   10  --  --  --  --  --
2017-18  Victoria Grizzlies          BCHL   45   22   44   66   10  12   3   6   9   8

KIRBY DACH, C (SASKATOON BLADES/WHL)

Got an early taste in the "Dub" when injuries befell the forwards on Saskatoon, and showed off his competitive nature and was able to set up and score goals as a 16 year old, and displays smarts, size and good feet. 

2016-17  Saskatoon Blades            WHL    19    6    4   10    4  --  --  --  --  --
2017-18  Saskatoon Blades            WHL    52    7   39   46   12  --  --  --  --  --

KAAPO KAKKO, RW (TPS/LIIGA)

Big Finnish man child with above average size, speed/skill sets. Still in need of weight room strength, in both the upper and lower body, he already thinks and advances the puck at a high level and fearlessly drive the front. Moves and stickhandles at top speed, and displays an excellent snap shot. Played the majority of his season for the TPS U-20 team, notching 55 points (25 goals, 30 assists) in 38 games.

2017-18  TPS Turku                   SM-li   6    0    1    1    0  --  --  --  --  --

DYLAN COZENS, RW/C (LETHBRIDGE HURRICANES/WHL)
First Yukon-born player ever taken in the first round of the WHL Bantam draft., Recently won the WHL Rookie of the Year with 53 points (22 goals, 31 assists) in 57 games for the Lethbridge Hurricanes. He also tallied an additional 13 points (7 goals, 6 assists) in 16 playoff games. Projects to be a top-line winger who can also play centre. Easily the best player in the Hurricanes lineup, who plays a comfortable, yet dynamic game.

2016-17  Lethbridge Hurricanes       WHL     3    1    0    1    0  12   3   5   8   0
2017-18  Lethbridge Hurricanes       WHL    57   22   31   53   20  16   7   6  13  14

PEYTON KREBS, LW/C (KOOTENAY ICE/WHL)

Spirited competitor with skill and competitiveness. He was the top pick in the Bantam draft. A playmaking Centre-wing who can no look pass with the best of them. Notched 54 points (17 goals, 37 assists) in 67 games on a bad Kootenay Ice team. With the Bantam draft coming up, hopefully he can boost his already dominant game.

2016-17  Kootenay Ice                WHL     6    1    5    6    0  --  --  --  --  --
2017-18  Kootenay Ice                WHL    67   17   37   54   40  --  --  --  --  --

BOWEN BYRAM, D (VANCOUVER GIANTS/WHL)

Byram has been turning plenty of heads in recent times. Described as "alien" by teammate Ty Ronning, the 17 year has been playing well beyond his years. Named runner-up to Dylan Cozens for rookie of the year, Byram notched 27 points (6 goals, 21 assists), and made the all-star team at the U-17 event, alongside Jack Hughes. He has the ability to up his game come clutch time, with 7 points in a 7 game series defeat to the Victoria Royals. As with most young offensive D-men, he can get caught running around, but that will fade with time. I've seen him go as high as #2 in the 2019 draft.

G    A  Pts  PIM  GP   G   A Pts PIM
2016-17  Vancouver Giants            WHL    11    0    0    0    8  --  --  --  --  --
2017-18  Vancouver Giants            WHL    60    6   21   27   52   7   3   4   7   6

ALEX TURCOTTE, C (US NATIONAL TEAM)

Very high profile player, could be taken in the top 3. Plays an excellent all-rounded game, with great hands, great speed, very high hockey IQ, and good defensively. Committed to the University of Wiscounsin for next season, after putting up 47 points (15 goals, 32 assists) for the U-17 US national team.

2017-18  U.S. National Under-17 Te   USHL   20    7   15   22   10  --  --  --  --  --
2017-18  U.S. National Under-18 Te   USHL   11    1    9   10    4  --  --  --  --  --

Those are just some of the potential candidates for the the 2019 draft. Personally, I would like Bowen Byram, Dylan Cozens, or Alex Newhook. Jack Hughes would be enormous, but I'm not expecting 1st overall.

Thank you for the great post on the 2019 draft..

I really think Canucks will get another elite player when we draft in the top 8 again in the 2019 draft.

I watched Newhook and Byram lots last year and they both looked really good.

On July 25, 2018 at 1:05 AM, TheHockeyNerds said:

Hey guys! Been watching video recently of all the projects top guys for 2019! HEAVY C draft this year! Here are my prelim rankings I put together! 

2019 NHL Mock Draft - Summer Rankings

1. C-Jack Hughes 
  2. RW-Kaapo Kakko 
  3. C-Alex Turcotte 
  4. C/LW-Peyton Krebs
  5. C-Kirby Dach
  6. C/RW-Dylan Cozens
  7. C-Alex Newhook
  8. D-Bowen Byram
  9. C-Trevor Zigras
  10. C/RW- Raphael Lavoie 
  11. (HM: Honka, Robertson,Suzuki) 

I would be excited if we pick Hughes but Canucks have never picked 1st overall..

Would still be excited to draft Turcotte, Newhook or Byram...We do know we will be drafting in the top 10 ..

3 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Is there a reason why J. Hughes didnt follow Quinn's foot steps and play college in his draft year? Would have been like Eichel in his draft year, would have been interesting to see what he would have done at that level as a compareable to Eichel imo.

Depending where we finish next year, say we don't get the top pick in the Lottery. I wonder how much pressure GM JB will have from ownership to try and trade up to select #1 overall at home, to get a potential star and new Brother tandem in Canuck Uniforms?

But what team would be willing to deal #1 and not select Jack? Would we be willing to give up a TON to get jack? We would be dealing current roster player(s) who are considered out best on the team

At this point I would have zero interest in trading a bunch of pieces and picks on a rebuilding team to get Jack Hughes. We would take as many steps backwards as we would forward. You can't rebuild by doing that. JB has already said that numerous times...need to rebuild through drafting and developing. 

Plus we have already seen JB pick well at the number 5 & 7 spots. Trying to trade for #1 would be foolish imo.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

At this point I would have zero interest in trading a bunch of pieces and picks on a rebuilding team to get Jack Hughes. We would take as many steps backwards as we would forward. You can't rebuild by doing that. JB has already said that numerous times...need to rebuild through drafting and developing. 

Plus we have already seen JB pick well at the number 5 & 7 spots. Trying to trade for #1 would be foolish imo.

At this point, I trust JB no matter what position we are in the draft. He's been incredibly consistent.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Qwags said:

At this point, I trust JB no matter what position we are in the draft. He's been incredibly consistent.

True to a degree. Im definitely interested to see if Oli can push to make the team or go to Utica and play well enough to be an in season call up. No need to rush him into the NHL this October...especially with our log jam on D as it is.

JB has a wildcard pick in Virtanen, its been well documented so I wont go on about it. I really wish the Canucks would put him on the LW, that is where he is at his best from his junior days. He can hit, has speed and use to have a great shot. I haven't see much of a shot from him so far in the NHL, lots of pucks to the crest of the goalie. If Jake can put it together we could have an Ovie light type of player. I just hope the Coach gives him a solid chance to succeed this year with good linemates and doesnt stick him near the bottom of the group. That said he has to earn it, just like Goldy.

No GM is perfect at drafting, but Jake so far is not living up to his draft position. Luckily he is still young, and hopefully can earn the coaches trust and when he does he can have confidence in his game and hit the score sheet more often. Hopefully with this 2 yr deal he can prove his worth and hopefully mesh well with EP/Boeser/Bo/Dahlen on a scoring line

4 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

True to a degree. Im definitely interested to see if Oli can push to make the team or go to Utica and play well enough to be an in season call up. No need to rush him into the NHL this October...especially with our log jam on D as it is.

JB has a wildcard pick in Virtanen, its been well documented so I wont go on about it. I really wish the Canucks would put him on the LW, that is where he is at his best from his junior days. He can hit, has speed and use to have a great shot. I haven't see much of a shot from him so far in the NHL, lots of pucks to the crest of the goalie. If Jake can put it together we could have an Ovie light type of player. I just hope the Coach gives him a solid chance to succeed this year with good linemates and doesnt stick him near the bottom of the group. That said he has to earn it, just like Goldy.

No GM is perfect at drafting, but Jake so far is not living up to his draft position. Luckily he is still young, and hopefully can earn the coaches trust and when he does he can have confidence in his game and hit the score sheet more often. Hopefully with this 2 yr deal he can prove his worth and hopefully mesh well with EP/Boeser/Bo/Dahlen on a scoring line

I think Ovie lite is stretching it just a tad. Ovie is one of the greatest pure snipers of all time. 1st ballot higher. I do think Virtanen can be a top 6 lw. Less physically imposing than Dustin Brown, but better skating and game breaking ability. That would be a perfect compliment to our top 6. Either way, on the low end he becomes an effective third line player, top end: top 6 lw. 

14 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Agreed and I'm surprised after 4 years of Benning drafting anyone would suggest it. 

We have a GM and scouting staff who seem to be extremely talented in punching above their draft position. Why give away probably two maybe 3 important pieces when the chances are JB will find us a gem in the top 10 anyway. It would likely put us back 2 years, depending on who we were offering.

GMs are afraid to trade away a no1 unless they were killing the other team for fear that they might lose their job if it doesn't work out. And that can work both ways.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

14 hours ago, KKnight said:

I think Ovie lite is stretching it just a tad. Ovie is one of the greatest pure snipers of all time. 1st ballot higher. I do think Virtanen can be a top 6 lw. Less physically imposing than Dustin Brown, but better skating and game breaking ability. That would be a perfect compliment to our top 6. Either way, on the low end he becomes an effective third line player, top end: top 6 lw. 

I did say Ovie light. So if Ovie is a 50g 90 pt guy who is fast and hits maybe virtanen could turn into a 25-30g 55-60pt player who is fast and can hit

4 hours ago, alfstonker said:

We have a GM and scouting staff who seem to be extremely talented in punching above their draft position. Why give away probably two maybe 3 important pieces when the chances are JB will find us a gem in the top 10 anyway. It would likely put us back 2 years, depending on who we were offering.

According to J.D. Burke, that would put us back to around the WCE era.

6 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Agreed and I'm surprised after 4 years of Benning drafting anyone would suggest it. 

GMs are afraid to trade away a no1 unless they were killing the other team for fear that they might lose their job if it doesn't work out. And that can work both ways.

The summer euphoria of playoff contention reigns supreme for many on CDC. While we can all dream about our existing players having banner years and many on our prospect pool 'breaking out' the odds are not in our favor. I am OK with the prospects continuing to develop and our younger pros managing to usurp the vets. 

IMHO the odds of Vancouver drafting in the top 5 again this year are likely. Another draft should yield a d-man and a forward who can challenge for a NHL spot. Benning & Co have shown they can deliver. Getting the #1 spot would be a dream but not necessary.  

Thoughts on Vasili Podkolzin? What style of player is he? Where will he likely fall in the draft? By the looks of the Hlinka Gretzky tournament he is a natural team leader and dominant offensive forward. 

Edited by kenhodgejr

On 07/08/2018 at 12:17 AM, Boudrias said:

The summer euphoria of playoff contention reigns supreme for many on CDC. While we can all dream about our existing players having banner years and many on our prospect pool 'breaking out' the odds are not in our favor. I am OK with the prospects continuing to develop and our younger pros managing to usurp the vets. 

IMHO the odds of Vancouver drafting in the top 5 again this year are likely. Another draft should yield a d-man and a forward who can challenge for a NHL spot. Benning & Co have shown they can deliver. Getting the #1 spot would be a dream but not necessary.  

pretty realistic expectations. picking up a few more draft picks could help the cause

On 8/6/2018 at 9:17 AM, Boudrias said:

I basically agree with this sentiment, although I feel a top 6 left winger with some grit ala Tkachuk should be a potential target as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Thoughts on Vasili Podkolzin? What style of player is he? Where will he likely fall in the draft? By the looks of the Hlinka Gretzky tournament he is a natural team leader and dominant offensive forward. 

He looks a lot like Svechnikov out there; a big and powerful frame that he uses to lean on defenders a lot. He doesn't look quite as quick or refined as Svechnikov though, but an intriguing prospect nevertheless. 

He's also in Button's top 5 right now: 

1 hour ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

He looks a lot like Svechnikov out there; a big and powerful frame that he uses to lean on defenders a lot. He doesn't look quite as quick or refined as Svechnikov though, but an intriguing prospect nevertheless. 

He's also in Button's top 5 right now: 

No matter how good he is I have a hard time seeing him getting drafted in the top 5. He is a winger that plays in a junior league in russia. He would have to have a season that absolutely blows the doors off...more so than a player like Filip Zadina who fell to 6th. With the number of centres projected in the top 10 I have a feeling it will be similar to this year in that highly skilled wingers will make a case for top 5 but fall out of the top 5 in favor of those centres.

I am not really interested in another russian at this point (not at a high draft pick). They are a bit of a cliche...too many of them are examples of lazy hockey players and many don't like what they are offered. Tryamkin is a good example for the Canucks. He had a great opportunity and pissed it away. Honestly I loved him, but he thought he deserved more ice time after showing up fat and out of shape. Then he leaves cuz he doesn't like western culture. Oh boy....we should all change the way we live so tryamkin feels better.

I do not like to make generalizations but after tryamkin I don't want the Canucks picking another russian unless they have been in North America for a while and have played in North America for a while and have shown they could adjust.

So unless it is a low round pick forget it imo.

Edit: look at yakupov..the lazy goof is blaming everyone but himself for busting in the NHL. Pathetic. 

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I am not really interested in another russian at this point (not at a high draft pick). They are a bit of a cliche...too many of them are examples of lazy hockey players and many don't like what they are offered. Tryamkin is a good example for the Canucks. He had a great opportunity and pissed it away. Honestly I loved him, but he thought he deserved more ice time after showing up fat and out of shape. Then he leaves cuz he doesn't like western culture. Oh boy....we should all change the way we live so tryamkin feels better.

I do not like to make generalizations but after tryamkin I don't want the Canucks picking another russian unless they have been in North America for a while and have played in North America for a while and have shown they could adjust.

So unless it is a low round pick forget it imo.

Edit: look at yakupov..the lazy goof is blaming everyone but himself for busting in the NHL. Pathetic. 

Tryamkin made comments like being Russian meant you had to be better than North Americans to get a fair chance. Cannot remember at what time that was. His opinion of the NHL might have already turned. In the short time I was in Russia their patriotism was evident. 

For those complaining about his TOI it went from 14-15 minutes to 20 minutes by season's end. There were injuries on the backend and he got his chance. I thought he was doing well enough by season's end.