The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

18 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Thoughts on Vasili Podkolzin? What style of player is he? Where will he likely fall in the draft? By the looks of the Hlinka Gretzky tournament he is a natural team leader and dominant offensive forward. 

Strong on the puck. Plays like datsuyk.

13 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I am not really interested in another russian at this point (not at a high draft pick).

There have been some very good Russians, but there always seems to be a glitch or two. Bure, the most talented Canuck ever, never really seemed like he wanted to be here. Larionov, a favourite, had politics screw everything up. Artem Chubarov, a personal favourite, seemed destined to return, but his Audi just collected dust in the underground parking.

Add in all the negative Russian experiences like Kirill Koltsov ( + Grot, another 2nd rounder that year ) and Tryamkin being unhappy with their playing time, plus all the draftees who never showed up to a training camp, and we are a touch edgy when thinking of adding more Russians. Imagine the angst if we had taken ( as many wanted ) Nickushkin instead of Horvat ! Now, if Artem Manukyan turns into a big star for us, I'll pretend I never said this.

Edited by SingleThorn
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

There have been some very good Russians, but there always seems to be a glitch or two. Bure, the most talented Canuck ever, never really seemed like he wanted to be here. Larionov, a favourite, had politics screw everything up. Artem Chubarov, a personal favourite, seemed destined to return, but his Audi just collected dust in the underground parking.

Add in all the negative Russian experiences like Kirill Koltsov ( + Grot, another 2nd rounder that year ) and Tryamkin being unhappy with their playing time, plus all the draftees who never showed up to a training camp, and we are a touch edgy when thinking of adding more Russians. Imagine the angst if we had taken ( as many wanted ) Nickushkin instead of Horvat ! Now, if Artem Manukyan turns into a big star for us, I'll pretend I never said this.

I won't argue about Koltsov, but we don't really know why Tryamkin left. We've speculated so much, but it was a personal decision, one that isn't irreversible. We may yet see Tryamkin come back. But he respected his contract and decided that he needed more time away from the NHL, there is no shame in that. I don't see a glitch in that. 
I do find it a bit surprising that you're banking on Manukyan to change that trend. A 6th rounder who is unlikely to make it in the first place really shouldn't hold any sort of significance. I think if anyone would change the trend, then it could be Goldobin. 

That said, Podkolzin is a RW. We've amassed quite the depth on the right wing, so I don't see us being too interested in him. He seems more like a Berggren type guy. Someone who plays in a lower league, is hard to project but has some decent international experience. I'd have him going late first, early second. 

4 minutes ago, Brobidus said:

I won't argue about Koltsov, but we don't really know why Tryamkin left. We've speculated so much, but it was a personal decision, one that isn't irreversible. We may yet see Tryamkin come back. But he respected his contract and decided that he needed more time away from the NHL, there is no shame in that. I don't see a glitch in that
I do find it a bit surprising that you're banking on Manukyan to change that trend. A 6th rounder who is unlikely to make it in the first place really shouldn't hold any sort of significance. I think if anyone would change the trend, then it could be Goldobin. 

That said, Podkolzin is a RW. We've amassed quite the depth on the right wing, so I don't see us being too interested in him. He seems more like a Berggren type guy. Someone who plays in a lower league, is hard to project but has some decent international experience. I'd have him going late first, early second. 

I love Tryamkin. If he came back, my bum would be in a seat ! His absence is absolutely a 'glitch'. I don't know how else you could see it. In a perfect world, he would be on our roster. He's not......something went wrong. Sorry about the Manukyan hopes. It was really a weak attempt at humour. I'm really not expecting him to lead us to the SCF. (....but, hope springs eternal )

Some opinions following the Hlinka:

Overall, I think there were some players that made stronger impressions than others.

Broberg had a pretty good tournament overall as he showcased his impressive speed and physical abilities, but he still made some poor decisions with the puck. He had some great games and then some bad games, but he made the biggest impression among most people. Talking about him as the best defenseman in the 2019 draft is premature, but he proved that he might be able to put himself in that position before the season ends. 

Byram was very solid all around the ice. He displayed some very good vision offensively and was good defensively. After what happened with Chychrun and Liljegren I think we should be more cautious with Byram, but all signs look good as of right now and he's likely the best defenseman in the draft. 

Dach and Cozens are two players that will likely be in direct competition with each other all year. Both had very good showings here, but the slight edge likely goes to Dach. Both look like they will be good options for where the Canucks might end up picking. 

Suzuki's vision is really making an impression on a lot of people. There are multiple examples of him knowing exactly what he's going to do with the puck before he get's it and then executing the play quickly and efficiently. 

I've said it before, but comparing the centers in this draft is going to be fun. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Honka was so far ahead of the next guys...why is he not rated in the top 5 for the draft?....here is one preliminary draft ranking from the "Hockey Writers":

The Preliminary Top 50

No. Player Pos. 2017-18 Primary Team
1 Jack Hughes C U.S. National Development Team (USHL)
2 Kakko Kaapo RW TPS Turku U20 (Jr. A SM-Liiga)
3 Alex Turcotte C U.S. National Development Team (USHL)
4 Ryan Suzuki C Barrie Colts (OHL)
5 Dylan Cozens C Lethbridge Hurricanes (WHL)
6 Matthew Robertson D Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL)
7 Kirby Dach C Saskatoon Blades (WHL)
8 Bowen Byram D Vancouver Giants (WHL)
9 Peyton Krebs LW Kootenay ICE (WHL)
10 Nolan Foote LW Kelowna Rockets (WHL)
11 Arthur Kaliyev LW Hamilton Bulldogs (OHL)
12 Victor Soderstrom D Brynas U20 (SuperElit)
13 Blake Murray C Sudbury Wolves (OHL)
14 Raphael Lavoie C Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL)
15 Jakob Pelletier C Moncton Wildcats (QMJHL)
16 Alex Newhook C Victoria Grizzlies (BCHL)
17 Cole Caufield D U.S. National Development Team (USHL)
18 Tobias Bjornfot D Djurgardens U20 (SuperElit)
19 Anttoni Honka D JYP U20 (Jr. A SM-Liiga)
20 Albin Grewe RW Djurgardens U20 (SuperElit)

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Honka was so far ahead of the next guys...why is he not rated in the top 5 for the draft?....here is one preliminary draft ranking from the "Hockey Writers":

The Preliminary Top 50

Adam Boqvist was ranked mid to late teens before his draft year season started. Honks should be top 10.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Adam Boqvist was ranked mid to late teens before his draft year season started. Honks should be top 10.

As @Bure_Pavel pointed out, Boqvist was very highly rated before the season started and then steadily fell throughout the year. In fact, he was rated 2nd overall behind Dahlin before games were played. 

Honka looks like he could do the opposite this year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

The Preliminary Top 50

Honka is interesting in that way. He played an impressive amount of games in Liiga this past year (his draft -1 year) especially considering he's not only a defenseman, but a smaller one at that. I'll have to dig deeper into him when I have more time, but here's some highlights in the mean time:

• Upvote 2

Podkolzin displayed a lot of strength and power in his game that he used to score some beautiful goals at the Hlinka Gretzky tournament. He has a powerful stride and is at his best when he's protecting the puck and leaning on defensemen on the rush. He's got good hands and a pretty hard shot. He looks a lot like Svechnikov physically (with the same stick and tape job), but he plays more like Virtanen. 

6 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

The Preliminary Top 50

SO many centres!

Image result for good star wars gif

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Honka is interesting in that way. He played an impressive amount of games in Liiga this past year (his draft -1 year) especially considering he's not only a defenseman, but a smaller one at that. I'll have to dig deeper into him when I have more time, but here's some highlights in the mean time:

Judging from the video above he doesn't seem to have the same skating ability as Hughes although still very good. Definitely had a productive year in Liiga but he is one of the older players in the draft if I am not mistaken. He will have to up his production to Heiskanen levels in his draft year in order to be considered in top 5 in my opinion. I've also heard his defense needs a lot of work, probably in the same vein as Boqvist. My guess is he will continue to be rated anywhere between 5-10 all season long and maybe falling just outside top 10 after the draft when all is said and done. 

On 12/08/2018 at 4:33 PM, Horvat is a Boss said:

Some opinions following the Hlinka:

Overall, I think there were some players that made stronger impressions than others.

Broberg had a pretty good tournament overall as he showcased his impressive speed and physical abilities, but he still made some poor decisions with the puck. He had some great games and then some bad games, but he made the biggest impression among most people. Talking about him as the best defenseman in the 2019 draft is premature, but he proved that he might be able to put himself in that position before the season ends. 

Byram was very solid all around the ice. He displayed some very good vision offensively and was good defensively. After what happened with Chychrun and Liljegren I think we should be more cautious with Byram, but all signs look good as of right now and he's likely the best defenseman in the draft. 

Dach and Cozens are two players that will likely be in direct competition with each other all year. Both had very good showings here, but the slight edge likely goes to Dach. Both look like they will be good options for where the Canucks might end up picking. 

Suzuki's vision is really making an impression on a lot of people. There are multiple examples of him knowing exactly what he's going to do with the puck before he get's it and then executing the play quickly and efficiently. 

I've said it before, but comparing the centers in this draft is going to be fun. 

I would give cozens the edge dude. Both have similar ppg and physical stats, but cozens seem to show up big time in best on best competitions.