The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

2 hours ago, hammertime said:

@R3aL

For those of you who are super high on Krebs I know its a flawed stat but -50 is still pretty chilly especially for a guy who scored 69pts I don't even know how -50 is possible.

http://whl.ca/players/27665

I'm staying away with a top 10 pick 

To be fair his team was absolutely terrible this year, as a result he has a -50. He is actually a great character and two way player especially for a winger. Looked really good at the top prospects game.

If VAN gets the #3, who does Benning take? I think this might be the toughest pick (#3).

I'm leaning towards Byram, because of how he would improve our D for years. Another great D pick later might be York. He was a +40 this year (over a point-a-game). Of course it helps playing on the USNDT.

Byram - Hughes

Hutton - Stecher

Juolevi - Woo

Rathbone

But the Canucks also badly need scoring. Doesn't look like Goldobin will work out and they traded their best forward prospect (Dahlen) for a younger prospect playing in Europe.

Newhook and Caufield are intriguing prospects.  

15 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

In my opinion if we land in the #3 spot i would definitely be trading down as far as 10. Try to add another 1st/2nd, draft a Boldy/Zegras/Cozens and another RD like Seider, Thomson, Helleson, McCarthy, Constantinou, Korczak or Hugo Has. Although some of those guys may fall to the third.

I wonder who the sleeper US U18 NTDP will be that we pick. Buried behind all that depth that may be a big steal. My guess is that we will be drafting Lindmark or Moynihan with our 3rd from that team.

If we get #3 I think we should just take Byram. The guy you get with the extra 20-45 range pick will be a project.

Take Byram, build around he & Hughes on the backend. Then see where Juolevi fits in, maybe eventually u move a D for a FWD.

The NTDP guy im curious about is Alex Vlasic. Probably a 2nd round guy but I wonder what he could be as a prospect. Not too famillar with him.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

We have three 6th rounders this draft. I'm not well enough informed on jr hockey/prospects to know of any myself, but does anyone have any favourites who might be available in the later rounds? Over-agers to look at?

Edited by 112

17 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

This draft is going to be huge for us. Might be the last draft in which we have a top ten pick for years to come. Really need to hit on our first for a top 6 winger and add another quality RD prospect.

In my opinion if we land in the #3 spot i would definitely be trading down as far as 10. Try to add another 1st/2nd, draft a Boldy/Zegras/Cozens and another RD like Seider, Thomson, Helleson, McCarthy, Constantinou, Korczak or Hugo Has. Although some of those guys may fall to the third.

I wonder who the sleeper US U18 NTDP will be that we pick. Buried behind all that depth that may be a big steal. My guess is that we will be drafting Lindmark or Moynihan with our 3rd from that team.

Draft beecher or one of the dman. Henry Thrun doesnt get talked too much and would make an excellent third or fourth rounder.  Not a fan of lindmark or moynihan.

16 hours ago, R3aL said:

After tonights game just can't help but think of the upcoming draft.

Lottery is so soon and as great as the draft is a top 3 pick would just be so marvellous for the squad..

Adding:

Hughes: Brother connection, another huge core piece and giving our top 9 big time balance:

Petey-Boeser

Horvat-Hughes

Gaudette-Virtanen

And you could mix em around and load up when needed with who's hot etc. Would be fantastic and give us elite C depth.

Kakko exact same thing as Hughes just a different dynamic, would add some weight and just like Hughes you could mix em around.

And if we pick 3 we get a STUD dman and our future d core built around Hughes and Byram would be fantastic, he feels like a can't miss d prospect. He is so impressive and his game looks very transferable to the NHL.

If we do not get that top 3 lotto luck well I hope we win the next lottery.

The lottery that are picks 4-15.

Trust in Bracket here, my gut tells me Krebs would be the perfect pick in that range as he would be complement Bo Horvat perfectly imo and has huge potential, with leadership qualities and drive that would mesh very well with our core.

Petey-Boeser

Horvat-Krebs

Gaudette-Virtanen

Looks like a great young core as well.

Very optimistic going into this draft that no matter what we will come out of it as winners though.

Top 3 pick would be so sweet though!

And after tonight hope everyone forgets the crazy idea we'd trade Quinn Hughes at the draft!

Don't be so sure that byram is a lock at three if we get there. Love the kid and his play, but i can see the canucks maybe still take a forward and wait till 2020 and go for the homerun pick in barron from halifax. &^@#ing tablets.

Edited by Isam

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

If VAN gets the #3, who does Benning take? I think this might be the toughest pick (#3).

I'm leaning towards Byram, because of how he would improve our D for years. Another great D pick later might be York. He was a +40 this year (over a point-a-game). Of course it helps playing on the USNDT.

Byram - Hughes

Hutton - Stecher

Juolevi - Woo

Rathbone

But the Canucks also badly need scoring. Doesn't look like Goldobin will work out and they traded their best forward prospect (Dahlen) for a younger prospect playing in Europe.

Newhook and Caufield are intriguing prospects.  

Bryam no question for me. We'd have one of the best defence core's in the NHL. 

Elite scoring wingers can still be found outside the top 10. The Canucks will likely be drafting in the 10-20 range for a few years. Dylan Larkin and Matthew Barzal range.

4 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Has anyone seen Kelowna much this season? Curious what people think of Kaeden Korczak, Lassi Thomson & Nolan Foote.

I live 45min from Kelowna pop over for a few games every season. 

Foote lacks Foot speed ironically but has a heavy shot and is a very good LW PWF prospect kinda like exactly what the Canucks need. 

Lassi if he's still there at 40ish mango for it. Nux need more finnish he might actually be the perfect partner for Juolevi, Lassi can really hammer those 1 timers. https://finnprospects.com/player/lassi-thomson/

Korczac is always ready to pop off a lil chin music to stick up for a team mate. He's rugged and feisty good defensively and he can skate. I think of the 3 players named he would be my top choice but you really cant go wrong with any of them. 

• Like 2

I know Krebs was a -50 this season playing with Kootenay (and a -22 the season before), but yet I haven't seen any negative comments about this from the "experts". Do they even look at +/- when assessing players?  Strange that a player who was a -50 is ranked to go Top 10. 

27 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I know Krebs was a -50 this season playing with Kootenay (and a -22 the season before), but yet I haven't seen any negative comments about this from the "experts". Do they even look at +/- when assessing players?  Strange that a player who was a -50 is ranked to go Top 10. 

Out of 68 games played this season, Kootenay won 13. 

42 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Worst team with terrible linemates. If he played on another team his +/- would be fine and he’d likely have another 15/20 points to his totals.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Worst team with terrible linemates. If he played on another team his +/- would be fine and he’d likely have another 15/20 points to his totals.

I guess that is the glass half full. I don't claim to have watched a tone of Kootenay ice games this year. I watched 1 game in which I admit Krebs looked good. 

I am secretly hoping for Kaapo Kakko. I just saw his highlight package and I was unaware how deceptive and agile this player is. Most of his goals are scored near the net and is not afraid to play somewhat physical. I wouldn't say he's a prototypical power forward that barges his way to the net. This guy can stickhandle out of a booth and has silky mitts.

• Upvote 1