The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

38 minutes ago, TGokou said:

I am secretly hoping for Kaapo Kakko. I just saw his highlight package and I was unaware how deceptive and agile this player is. Most of his goals are scored near the net and is not afraid to play somewhat physical. I wouldn't say he's a prototypical power forward that barges his way to the net. This guy can stickhandle out of a booth and has silky mitts.

He's stylistically comparable to Rantanen and P. Forsberg. He combines his physicality with his agility, stickhandling abilities and superior vision to control play in the offensive zone.

The kid's a playmaker first and foremost--he's the type of player who is going to have the quality of making his linemates better in the NHL.

Skilled in all aspects, deceptive, plays hard and has the intelligence to use his tools as well as can be expected. I'll do a flip if we land him.

Edited by 112
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, 112 said:

We have three 6th rounders this draft. I'm not well enough informed on jr hockey/prospects to know of any myself, but does anyone have any favourites who might be available in the later rounds? Over-agers to look at?

Kyle Topping is someone I'd be willing to take a flyer at. Plays in Kelowna. Was actually a projected 3rd/4th round pick this past draft but for some odd reason he went undrafted. PPG centerman last and this year, leading Kelowna in points.

Adam Samuelsson is also another projected 3rd/4th round pick last draft that was passed over. I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on him, big bodied. Though has had a major setback due to not being drafted.

Brett Leason who played for Team Canada at the World Juniors in Vancouver was passed up in last year's draft as well and has absolutely dominated the WHL this season. I doubt he's available by our 6th round draft choice but say he isn't picked in the 1st or 2nd round, I wouldn't mind nabbing him with our 3rd. Might be a Tanner Pearson 2.0

Edited by Odd.

8 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Has anyone seen Kelowna much this season? Curious what people think of Kaeden Korczak, Lassi Thomson & Nolan Foote.

I live in Kelowna, been to a handful of games. It's pretty well reported by now that Foote's skating is not his greatest asset, very heavy shot, good powerplay presence but pretty one dimensional in my mind. 

Korczak is going to be a steady defender with a bit of a mean streak but won't produce a ton of offense in the NHL, still will be a very solid defender I think

Thompson is a guy I would absolutely love to draft. His skating is smooth, he goes on 2-3 end to end rushes a game and has hands to go with the skating. Gets his shot through and when he has time he actually gets quite a bit on it. Rumour has it he suffered a concussion with three or four games left though this year, "upper body injury" might make him slip to the second round, but I doubt it. 

To summarize, I'd take Thompson late first early second same with korczak, Foote I'd be ok if we got a later pick in the second round. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, OneSeventeen said:

Bryam no question for me. We'd have one of the best defence core's in the NHL. 

Elite scoring wingers can still be found outside the top 10. The Canucks will likely be drafting in the 10-20 range for a few years. Dylan Larkin and Matthew Barzal range.

10-20 range like the McAvoy, Chabot and Fabbro range? We still have a lot of holes in our lineup. We should be drafting BPA.

11 hours ago, hammertime said:

@R3aL

For those of you who are super high on Krebs I know its a flawed stat but -50 is still pretty chilly especially for a guy who scored 69pts I don't even know how -50 is possible.

http://whl.ca/players/27665

I'm staying away with a top 10 pick 

Have you watched him play a single game? Yea or no? It’s simple

his team is absolute trash

can mcdavid carry the oilers even with draisaitl? No he cannot. 

no. Fax. Why u ask? cause it’s a team game.

18 year olds rarely lead their whl teams so drammatically especially when this horrendous. 

They are such a bad team, if it wasn’t for Krebs they’d be the worst team in the WHL as they are currently second from the bottom I believe. 

Dont sleep on the kid the numbers don’t say it all for him.

Edited by R3aL

13 hours ago, Whorvat said:

I really like Byram too, but feel we will not be in a position to snag him

I think whoever passes on Caufield in the 5-10 range will look back on it regrettably. I would be shocked if he got past the 10th pick

Hes def a home run swing!

just would hate to be the team that swung and he doesn’t work out too

but he could very well be one of the best forwards in the draft down the road for sure

7 hours ago, Isam said:

Don't be so sure that byram is a lock at three if we get there. Love the kid and his play, but i can see the canucks maybe still take a forward and wait till 2020 and go for the homerun pick in barron from halifax. &^@#ing tablets.

I agree if we pick 3 it’s very possible our scouts have a forward there, my personal rankings are byram at 3 and there’s some bias as I’ve seen him play a lot and he fills a big need 

4 hours ago, hammertime said:

I guess that is the glass half full. I don't claim to have watched a tone of Kootenay ice games this year. I watched 1 game in which I admit Krebs looked good. 

Saw this after I replied sry

hes an awesome player man

if he was on an average team his numbers would look so much better

IMO if he was on a top team with quality linemates he’d be in contention for league leader in pts

6 hours ago, hammertime said:

I guess that is the glass half full. I don't claim to have watched a tone of Kootenay ice games this year. I watched 1 game in which I admit Krebs looked good. 

A good comparison could be Ty dellandrea, horrid team but top 15 prospect.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Isam said:

Don't be so sure that byram is a lock at three if we get there. Love the kid and his play, but i can see the canucks maybe still take a forward and wait till 2020 and go for the homerun pick in barron from halifax. &^@#ing tablets.

Which forward(s) do you have in mind? I imagine Turcotte might be one?

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

Saw this after I replied sry

hes an awesome player man

if he was on an average team his numbers would look so much better

IMO if he was on a top team with quality linemates he’d be in contention for league leader in pts

What is it about Krebs that makes you think that? Elite hockey sense?

4 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

What is it about Krebs that makes you think that? Elite hockey sense?

1 - His Skating, its not talked about enough, and his hands don’t drop off when he’s really moving he controls the puck well when moving at full speed

2 - his hockey IQ, think it’s being wasted playing with lesser talents. Not fully showcased. It would be like us icing Chaput and Megna on Peteys wings, they just wouldn’t think the game on the same level and not be in the right places etc.

usually in the chl, top prospects play with some decent players or at least relatively good overagers for the league, the gap from Krebs to the rest of his team is huge. And he never throws the team under the bus or complains kids a beauty.

i bet he’s going to interview super well at the combine too.

-

his is game reminds me of A mix of point and konecny 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Thanks for the list Snypes, you're always pretty tuned in!

Tell me about York if you have time? His numbers look pretty good. Speed?  Can he close a gap & play D?

Quinn Hughes univ Michigan replacement

He has some big boots to fill there.

5 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Which forward(s) do you have in mind? I imagine Turcotte might be one?

Yeah, but not just him. I could see the canucks thinking that they could turn and develop dach into that joe thornton type player. 

• Upvote 2

If the Canucks are picking at 8, I would love to see them pick Matt Boldy if he is left on the board. Love his game the more I see of it. Tough to play against, 200 foot player with fantastic hockey IQ. To me he seems to fit the Jim Benning profile. It would be a really good piece for the future and would bring something to the prospect pool that we don't really have right now. Just a very good player. Versatile, Big, Technical. I've seen him ranked as high as #3 and I can see why. 

Mock (not my rankings):

1. Colorado - Jack Hughes 

2. Los Angeles - Kaapo Kakko

3. New Jersey - Bowen Byram

4. Detroit - Dylan Cozens

5. Buffalo - Alex Turcotte

6. New York - Vasily Podkolzin

7. Anaheim - Kirby Dach

8. Vancouver - Matthew Boldy

9. Edmonton - Trevor Zegras

10. Chicago - Victor Söderström

• Upvote 1

Are there any other teams who have dropped every year since this format was introduced ? I'd be surprised if we're the only one ! If we drop again and any other draft losing team does too, I see a big push to revamp this system. Various ideas have been put forth. They are all easy to implement and are much more fair.

My preference is three 'winners'.....#1 moves up 7 slots #2 up 5 slots, #3 up 3 slots.

1 hour ago, SingleThorn said:

Are there any other teams who have dropped every year since this format was introduced ? I'd be surprised if we're the only one ! If we drop again and any other draft losing team does too, I see a big push to revamp this system. Various ideas have been put forth. They are all easy to implement and are much more fair.

My preference is three 'winners'.....#1 moves up 7 slots #2 up 5 slots, #3 up 3 slots.

The lottery should involve the top 3 teams, maybe top 5.  Everyone picks where they finish

• Cheers 1