The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

51 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

But, if we win...

The Sedins say a few words prior to the selection, and then Q announces the pick. :wub:

:')

I know we'd likely start playing one of our centres on the wing if we were to draft Hughes (or any other high-ranked C, for that matter, who realizes their potential), but it would be very hard to escape the temptation of running this:

Pettersson

Hughes

Horvat

Gaudette

down the middle.

On 3/26/2019 at 6:46 PM, hammertime said:

Boldy IMO is over rated we have to remember he is surrounded by a juggernaut of a team I have been watching them a lot and honestly I think much of his success can be attributed to playing on a very good team. Don't get me wrong he's one of the very good players on that team I just wouldn't take him with a top 10 pick if we had another 1st in the 15 to 20 range and he was still available sure. 

there are probably 8 1st round picks on that USDP squad and if I'm ranking them I'd go 1Hughes, 2Caufield, 3Turcotte, 4Zegras, 5York/6Boldy, 7Knight, 8Vlasic, 9McCarthy.

He could be a byproduct of their success or he could be simply overshadowed and have more to show. Either way I don't see him as a driver on that team. My $.02 for what its worth. I'd take Newhook at 10 over Boldy. But I'm not a pro scout just a guy who watches a lot of hockey.   

Agreed, I don't see Boldy as a driver either. He's a smart player though, that happens to be 6'3 & moves well. I think he could be a really good complimentary top 6 W. Like 25-25-50 production or more (maybe 30-30-60+), and a complete game.

I'd probably take him over Newhook tbh. I like Newhook's skating/skill but he's more comparable as a BCHL prospect to Jost than Turris upside wise IMO. 

On 3/27/2019 at 10:35 AM, NUCKER67 said:

What are thoughts on the 1st round prospects playing for the USNDT, seeing as they're practically all going to college next season?

Hughes - NHL

Turcotte - U. of Wisconsin for 2019/20 season

Zegras - Boston U for the 2019/20 and 2020/21 seasons

Boldy - Boston College for the 2019/20 season

Caufield - U. of Wisconsin for the 2019/20 season

York - U. of Michigan for the 2019/20 season

Knight - Boston College for the 2019/20 season

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm impatient at this point. I loves me some Top 5 picks, bright shiny new prospects, but I'm also tired of losing year after year. I'd prefer that whoever Benning picks with the VAN 1st, is able to join the team in the fall. VAN needs a Top 3 pick, which might be the toughest pick of all. .

One guy I'm not quite as high on is Zegras.

I know alot of people really like his talent & see a ton of upside. He does look like Jack Hughes the way he skates & handles the puck. But he plays more of a perimeter game. I just think if he's a C in the NHL he'll be a 2nd line C (ideally). Could be a Keller like winger, but I don't think he's quite as good a prospect as Keller was either for that matter. I don't doubt his playmaking or that he could be a productive T6F though. 

The way the game is going, I could look really bad doubting him, but hey. Got him 10-12 range ATM. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Agreed, I don't see Boldy as a driver either. He's a smart player though, that happens to be 6'3 & moves well. I think he could be a really good complimentary top 6 W. Like 25-25-50 production or more (maybe 30-30-60+), and a complete game.

I'd probably take him over Newhook tbh. I like Newhook's skating/skill but he's more comparable as a BCHL prospect to Jost than Turris upside wise IMO. 

I know alot of people really like his talent & see a ton of upside. He does look like Jack Hughes the way he skates & handles the puck. But he plays more of a perimeter game. I just think if he's a C in the NHL he'll be a 2nd line C (ideally). Could be a Keller like winger, but I don't think he's quite as good a prospect as Keller was either for that matter. I don't doubt his playmaking or that he could be a productive T6F though. 

The way the game is going, I could look really bad saying that, but hey. Got him 10-12 range ATM. 

Different strokes for different folks.  

My thought process is that with the speed of Hughes, Pete, Bo, Virtanen, Roussel, Beagle, Pearson, Stetcher, Newhook we may be able to really embarrass some of your more traditional heavy playoff teams.

I live in Vernon I watched Jost, Fabbro and co obliterate my Vipers that year repeatedly. The top 10 players on that squad scored a combined 229 goals that season compared with the top 10 players of Newhooks team it's nearly 40 more 190 goals. I love Jost as a prospect but IMO Newhook is on another level. It's all conjecture at this point though everybody has their favorite guys for what ever reasons hold the most weight for them. I'm purely focused on players who can handle the puck at top speed and make plays with it or elite goal scorers. I feel we can find our RHD and Power Forwards in the 2nd and later rounds.  

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Different strokes for different folks.  

My thought process is that with the speed of Hughes, Pete, Bo, Virtanen, Roussel, Beagle, Pearson, Stetcher, Newhook we may be able to really embarrass some of your more traditional heavy playoff teams.

I live in Vernon I watched Jost, Fabbro and co obliterate my Vipers that year repeatedly. The top 10 players on that squad scored a combined 229 goals that season compared with the top 10 players of Newhooks team it's nearly 40 more 190 goals. I love Jost as a prospect but IMO Newhook is on another level. It's all conjecture at this point though everybody has their favorite guys for what ever reasons hold the most weight for them. I'm purely focused on players who can handle the puck at top speed and make plays with it or elite goal scorers. I feel we can find our RHD and Power Forwards in the 2nd and later rounds.  

Ditto

15 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Moritz is hands down my top RHD pick in the draft. I think he is ranked far to low as he plays in a far less scouted league over in Germany. I haven't been able to watch much of his play but from what I have seen I'm incredibly impressed. If we had a 2nd 1st I would be all over him like white on rice he's big fast physical has a cannon. All this being said though there are just too many elite FWD prospects in the top 10. Have to go with the BPA. There are very good rhd who will be available in the 2nd. Case McCarthy, Lassi Thompson, Korczac, Tuomisto I try not to fixate on one player however I do keep coming back to Sieder.

The last 2 seasons JB has picked my top choices Hughes and Pettersson though I was split on Pete or Mittelstadt. 

Edited by hammertime

17 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Thanks for the list Snypes, you're always pretty tuned in!

Tell me about York if you have time? His numbers look pretty good. Speed?  Can he close a gap & play D?

I think York is definitely one of the most reliable two-way defenders in the draft. Great skater, albeit not elite or anything; enough that he can close the gap on any player. Not going to burn anyone with it, though. Not at this stage. What makes him special is his vision, he's a tremendous playmaker and passer. Super consistent and pretty much a shoo-in as power play qb.

Only thing is I think Swedish D Victor Soderstrom does everything York does in a different way, is a little bit faster and stays on the same page as his teammates while York tends to rush things a bit at times. In this way, Soderstrom can seem a bit more dynamic, which is why he's ranked higher. If Soderstrom's an 8.5 out of 10, York is an 8. That's just at this stage, too, things usually change in players' draft+1, draft+2 years. We'll see where they go.

• Like 1

If the Canucks are picking in the 5-10 range, I'm looking at Zegras, Boldy, and Broberg as the go-to picks if Dach, Byram, and Podkolzin aren't available. I love those three guys, I think they're going to be game-changers very soon.
If none of these guys are available, pull the trigger on Soderstrom. Can't go wrong with him.

Right now my ranks have shifted a bit. It's more like:
Hughes,
Kakko,
Zegras/Podkolzin,
Podkolzin/Zegras,
Byram,
Dach,
Boldy,

Cozens,

Krebs,

Broberg

Edited by S N Y P E R S 7
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Isam said:

Yeah, but not just him. I could see the canucks thinking that they could turn and develop dach into that joe thornton type player. 

I like Dach a lot. So much, that I think he’s probably going to be the best centermen in the draft and that includes Hughes. Plays a similar style as Sean Couturier. Great forechecker, great at using his stick to impede passing lines, overall his style of how he plays will make him an excellent 1B line centermen. 

Here’s a video of a game against Vancouver. Obviously, one game is a very small simple size, but the first 3 minutes alone. You have a sense that his hockey IQ is exceptional.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

If the Canucks are picking in the 5-10 range, I'm looking at Zegras, Boldy, and Broberg as the go-to picks if Dach, Byram, and Podkolzin aren't available. I love those three guys, I think they're going to be game-changers very soon.
If none of these guys are available, pull the trigger on Soderstrom. Can't go wrong with him.

Hughes,
Kakko,
Zegras/Podkolzin,
Podkolzin/Zegras,
Byram,
Dach,
Boldy,

Cozens,

Krebs,

Broberg

Good list, but I think turcotte goes in there somewhere. In my opinion he's the #3 guy.

Any way you look at it though. We are getting a much needed piece to our team. Hopefully a forward.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SingleThorn said:

Stupid question time. On draft day, at the table, who actually gets to add verbally to any input ? JB and Brackett + ????. At what point do the college scouts or Euro scouts leave the conversation ?

I'd think they cover a variety of scenarios before the draft and JB goes on with more than a few strategies based on meetings with the scouting staff.  

26 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd think they cover a variety of scenarios before the draft and JB goes on with more than a few strategies based on meetings with the scouting staff.  

In their 'draft day' videos they only show ( without re-watching ) JB plus the guys on his left/ right ( Brackett/ Weisbrod I think ) talking. So that makes sense. After the first couple of rounds, I'm sure there are specific area scouts jumping up and down begging for 'their guy' to be picked. It would be nice to get an unedited draft day record. ( impossible, but it would be nice ! )

31 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

In their 'draft day' videos they only show ( without re-watching ) JB plus the guys on his left/ right ( Brackett/ Weisbrod I think ) talking. So that makes sense. After the first couple of rounds, I'm sure there are specific area scouts jumping up and down begging for 'their guy' to be picked. It would be nice to get an unedited draft day record. ( impossible, but it would be nice ! )

I'm sure they have a group text convo happening too.......except for that one joker who can't figure out how to fix his settings and ends sending individual texts!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

Hughes,
Kakko,
Zegras/Podkolzin,
Podkolzin/Zegras,
Byram,
Dach,
Boldy,

Cozens,

Krebs,

Broberg

I like brobergs athleticism but he worries me alot with his decision making particularly in the defensive zone for me to put him in the top ten. 

3 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

Stupid question time. On draft day, at the table, who actually gets to add verbally to any input ? JB and Brackett + ????. At what point do the college scouts or Euro scouts leave the conversation ?

I am pretty sure all their draft lists are set a week or more before the draft. They can't let emotions get to them on draft day where they flip flop on their agreed upon selections.

17 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

The way the game is going, I could look really bad doubting him, but hey. Got him 10-12 range ATM. 

I also agree with you on the point about Boldy. Doesn't seem like a play driver and his stats could be inflated playing with such elite talent. In some aspects I feel if you were choosing between Boldy and Caufield I'd rather take Caufield but I'm confident Boldy will go before Caufield. Even if we are picking at 9-10 I still feel there may be better choices such as Seider or Soderstrom. I haven't made up my mind yet but I'm just not seeing it with Boldy.

14 minutes ago, TGokou said:

I also agree with you on the point about Boldy. Doesn't seem like a play driver and his stats could be inflated playing with such elite talent. In some aspects I feel if you were choosing between Boldy and Caufield I'd rather take Caufield but I'm confident Boldy will go before Caufield. Even if we are picking at 9-10 I still feel there may be better choices such as Seider or Soderstrom. I haven't made up my mind yet but I'm just not seeing it with Boldy.

Boldy is has been doing alot of the tough dzone starts along with turcotte, so his numbers have kinda suffered a little, especially not being consistently on the first unit pp like say zegras. He is still a better prospect at this moment then seider or soderstrom.

Edited by Isam