Sign in to follow this  
Qwags

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

On 3/28/2019 at 6:23 PM, Pears said:

I feel like this is the first I’ve heard about this production. 52 goals in 53 games????

What would it take to get another first and draft Caufield?

I  doubt the Canucks have the assets to get another first. Tanev at this point will only get a 2nd and a mediocre prospect at most. Nothing else of value to trade to get a 1st in my opinion (except obviously the assets we will not be trading - our young guns).

On 3/28/2019 at 7:37 PM, Sean Monahan said:

You don’t think one of those players alone is worth a 15ish overall pick?

Of course they are. They are not being traded though.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Of course they are. They are not being traded though.

17 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I  doubt the Canucks have the assets to get another first. Tanev at this point will only get a 2nd and a mediocre prospect at most. Nothing else of value to trade to get a 1st in my opinion (except obviously the assets we will not be trading - our young guns).

I get that. I was just questioning the logic that we’d have to trade not only one of Boeser or Horvat but another pick as well in order to get the draft pick that could be used to select Caulfield, which is probably around 15th overall (based on mock drafts).  I’m a big JB fan but I’d get the lynch mob out if he made a trade like that. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

I get that. I was just questioning the logic that we’d have to trade not only one of Boeser or Horvat but another pick as well in order to get the draft pick that could be used to select Caulfield, which is probably around 15th overall (based on mock drafts).  I’m a big JB fan but I’d get the lynch mob out if he made a trade like that. 

In the event that Boesers contract demands don't line up with MGMT's vision. I'd be down with trading Boeser and our 1st (789) to grab a top 2 pick or Boeser alone for another top 10 first if the offer were out there.

IMO if he can't out score BO playing with better linemates put out in every offensive situation possible and getting prime PP time. He shouldn't be getting paid more. 

Edited by hammertime
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, hammertime said:

In the event that Boesers contract demands don't line up with MGMT's vision. I'd be down with trading Boeser and our 1st (789) to grab a top 2 pick or Boeser alone for another top 10 first if the offer were out there.

IMO if he can't out score BO playing with better linemates put out in every offensive situation possible and getting prime PP time. He shouldn't be getting paid more. 

I tend to agree, but it would have to be a killer deal.

1 hour ago, Sean Monahan said:

The funny thing about Caufield is that he may be one of the most talented in the draft but I still don't expect him to be drafted in the top 10. Let's take Alex Debrincat for example who would be a great comparable. Even in a 2016 redraft, Debrincat would probably be re-rated as 7-8 (as of this moment). I think if Caufield hit Debrincat's ceiling we'd all be ecstatic but that would also be assuming he DID hit his Ceiling, there's also a good chance he's an effective player but not to the same degree as Debrincat. Therefore I can't see him going any higher than 10th, most likely in the 10-15 range.

• Hydration 1

8 hours ago, OneSeventeen said:

Bryam is the BPA at #3 to me. 

I think a lot of us would agree that Byram is BPA at #3 including myself. Realistically however, I see him getting drafted #4-6. While #1 D-men in this league are impossible to trade for, there is usually a lower chance of getting a #1 D in the top 10 of a draft than drafting a #1 center. Regardless of what we think of Byram, the stats don't lie that there is no guarantee he will be a true #1 D man in this league although he will for sure be a top 4 D-man. Having said that, there are a handful of centers (choose your pick!) that all project to be #1 centers in this league and typically have a greater chance of success of hitting their potential. This is why in previous years you saw a guy like Barrett Hayton and Pierre Luc-Dubois move up in the draft. Rarely do you see a defenseman get chosen ahead of where he is ranked. Teams just value centers more overall in the top 10 and I anticipate that will have an effect on where Byram is selected in the actual draft order.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

9 days till the lottery. :ph34r:

Wow it's coming up fast! Not holding my breath though.

59 minutes ago, stawns said:

I tend to agree, but it would have to be a killer deal.

Kakko/Hughes killer enough for you?

4 hours ago, stawns said:

I'm not much for smaller fwds and the Canucks have more than their share of them, but at #8-10, Caufield is an enticing pick.

He would go 1st overall if he was 6'7" instead of 5'7".

1 hour ago, TGokou said:

Wow it's coming up fast! Not holding my breath though.

But, if we win...

The Sedins say a few words prior to the selection, and then Q announces the pick. :wub:

• Hydration 1

51 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

But, if we win...

The Sedins say a few words prior to the selection, and then Q announces the pick. :wub:

:')

I know we'd likely start playing one of our centres on the wing if we were to draft Hughes (or any other high-ranked C, for that matter, who realizes their potential), but it would be very hard to escape the temptation of running this:

Pettersson

Hughes

Horvat

Gaudette

down the middle.

On 3/26/2019 at 6:46 PM, hammertime said:

Boldy IMO is over rated we have to remember he is surrounded by a juggernaut of a team I have been watching them a lot and honestly I think much of his success can be attributed to playing on a very good team. Don't get me wrong he's one of the very good players on that team I just wouldn't take him with a top 10 pick if we had another 1st in the 15 to 20 range and he was still available sure. 

there are probably 8 1st round picks on that USDP squad and if I'm ranking them I'd go 1Hughes, 2Caufield, 3Turcotte, 4Zegras, 5York/6Boldy, 7Knight, 8Vlasic, 9McCarthy.

He could be a byproduct of their success or he could be simply overshadowed and have more to show. Either way I don't see him as a driver on that team. My $.02 for what its worth. I'd take Newhook at 10 over Boldy. But I'm not a pro scout just a guy who watches a lot of hockey.   

Agreed, I don't see Boldy as a driver either. He's a smart player though, that happens to be 6'3 & moves well. I think he could be a really good complimentary top 6 W. Like 25-25-50 production or more (maybe 30-30-60+), and a complete game.

I'd probably take him over Newhook tbh. I like Newhook's skating/skill but he's more comparable as a BCHL prospect to Jost than Turris upside wise IMO. 

On 3/27/2019 at 10:35 AM, NUCKER67 said:

What are thoughts on the 1st round prospects playing for the USNDT, seeing as they're practically all going to college next season?

Hughes - NHL

Turcotte - U. of Wisconsin for 2019/20 season

Zegras - Boston U for the 2019/20 and 2020/21 seasons

Boldy - Boston College for the 2019/20 season

Caufield - U. of Wisconsin for the 2019/20 season

York - U. of Michigan for the 2019/20 season

Knight - Boston College for the 2019/20 season

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm impatient at this point. I loves me some Top 5 picks, bright shiny new prospects, but I'm also tired of losing year after year. I'd prefer that whoever Benning picks with the VAN 1st, is able to join the team in the fall. VAN needs a Top 3 pick, which might be the toughest pick of all. .

One guy I'm not quite as high on is Zegras.

I know alot of people really like his talent & see a ton of upside. He does look like Jack Hughes the way he skates & handles the puck. But he plays more of a perimeter game. I just think if he's a C in the NHL he'll be a 2nd line C (ideally). Could be a Keller like winger, but I don't think he's quite as good a prospect as Keller was either for that matter. I don't doubt his playmaking or that he could be a productive T6F though. 

The way the game is going, I could look really bad doubting him, but hey. Got him 10-12 range ATM. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Hydration 1

5 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Agreed, I don't see Boldy as a driver either. He's a smart player though, that happens to be 6'3 & moves well. I think he could be a really good complimentary top 6 W. Like 25-25-50 production or more (maybe 30-30-60+), and a complete game.

I'd probably take him over Newhook tbh. I like Newhook's skating/skill but he's more comparable as a BCHL prospect to Jost than Turris upside wise IMO. 

One guy I'm not quite as high on is Zegras.

I know alot of people really like his talent & see a ton of upside. He does look like Jack Hughes the way he skates & handles the puck. But he plays more of a perimeter game. I just think if he's a C in the NHL he'll be a 2nd line C (ideally). Could be a Keller like winger, but I don't think he's quite as good a prospect as Keller was either for that matter. I don't doubt his playmaking or that he could be a productive T6F though. 

The way the game is going, I could look really bad saying that, but hey. Got him 10-12 range ATM. 

Different strokes for different folks.  

My thought process is that with the speed of Hughes, Pete, Bo, Virtanen, Roussel, Beagle, Pearson, Stetcher, Newhook we may be able to really embarrass some of your more traditional heavy playoff teams.

I live in Vernon I watched Jost, Fabbro and co obliterate my Vipers that year repeatedly. The top 10 players on that squad scored a combined 229 goals that season compared with the top 10 players of Newhooks team it's nearly 40 more 190 goals. I love Jost as a prospect but IMO Newhook is on another level. It's all conjecture at this point though everybody has their favorite guys for what ever reasons hold the most weight for them. I'm purely focused on players who can handle the puck at top speed and make plays with it or elite goal scorers. I feel we can find our RHD and Power Forwards in the 2nd and later rounds.  

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Different strokes for different folks.  

My thought process is that with the speed of Hughes, Pete, Bo, Virtanen, Roussel, Beagle, Pearson, Stetcher, Newhook we may be able to really embarrass some of your more traditional heavy playoff teams.

I live in Vernon I watched Jost, Fabbro and co obliterate my Vipers that year repeatedly. The top 10 players on that squad scored a combined 229 goals that season compared with the top 10 players of Newhooks team it's nearly 40 more 190 goals. I love Jost as a prospect but IMO Newhook is on another level. It's all conjecture at this point though everybody has their favorite guys for what ever reasons hold the most weight for them. I'm purely focused on players who can handle the puck at top speed and make plays with it or elite goal scorers. I feel we can find our RHD and Power Forwards in the 2nd and later rounds.  

Ditto

4 hours ago, hammertime said:

Kakko/Hughes killer enough for you?

Could you imagine........guess we don't have to imagine thanks to Burkie

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Moritz is hands down my top RHD pick in the draft. I think he is ranked far to low as he plays in a far less scouted league over in Germany. I haven't been able to watch much of his play but from what I have seen I'm incredibly impressed. If we had a 2nd 1st I would be all over him like white on rice he's big fast physical has a cannon. All this being said though there are just too many elite FWD prospects in the top 10. Have to go with the BPA. There are very good rhd who will be available in the 2nd. Case McCarthy, Lassi Thompson, Korczac, Tuomisto I try not to fixate on one player however I do keep coming back to Sieder.

The last 2 seasons JB has picked my top choices Hughes and Pettersson though I was split on Pete or Mittelstadt. 

Edited by hammertime