The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

3 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Im not sure if this has been talked about but what about moving our pick for a young rhd on a rebuilding team. Thats assuming we pick around 10-12. 

A couple names come to mind.

Rasmus Ristolainen

Damon Severson

We'd be very lucky if this pick turned into a player of these two's caliber. We also wouldnt have to wait a possible 4 years for development. 

Im just spit-balling here. Curious to hear some feedback.

Our D could look like this in a few years

Hughes Ristolainen/severson

OJ stetcher

edler woo

I think thats enough to be competitive. 

This is assuming tanev walks or is traded. Also these are not pairing or a depth chart. simply separated the rights and lefts of our would be top 6.

Would be a home run if JB pulled that off.

35 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

If we have a 6th rounder laying around I wouldnt mind taking Hugo Leufvenius, if not just for the name. 6'3" 225lbs overager from Sweden.

Depends on his skating but watching some highlights he looks intriguing. Appears to have a good quick release on his shot.

Definitely would be a bottom six guy so he needs to be a decent skater and ideally bring some toughness in his game. Might be worth the risk. 

http://ontariohockeyleague.com/video/bestofohl-at-the-break-hugo-leufvenius

1 hour ago, GarthButcher5 said:

One week to lottery day.....

Let those lucky balls drop 

Talking about balls dropping with such a young team sounds funny.  A bit of a double meaning there. ::D

• Haha 2

The more I watch Soderstrom the more I think Canucks might take him. Might be another Pettersson story where the young light swedish kid with tons of talent is left further down rankings. From all reports he's the ideal defensemen of the future, good offensively and defensively and can transition the puck with ease. Also doesn't look like he shy's away from the physical play.

Edited by RetroCanuck
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, RetroCanuck said:

The more I watch Soderstrom the more I think Canucks might take him. Might be another Pettersson story where the young light swedish kid with tons of talent is left further down rankings. From all reports he's the ideal defensemen of the future, good offensively and defensively and can transition the puck with ease. Also doesn't look like he shy's away from the physical play.

As a side note imagine a future defence core that resembles this. (Assuming they all develop to potential, which they may not)

Hughes-Woo

Tryamkin-Soderstrom

Juolevi-Chatfield

Elite.

21 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

As a side note imagine a future defence core that resembles this. (Assuming they all develop to potential, which they may not)

Hughes-Woo

Tryamkin-Soderstrom

Juolevi-Chatfield

Elite.

I like this. One defencive guy and one offensive guy per pairing. One smaller guy and one bigger guy per pairing. Very complimentary d corps. 

6 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Im curious if @SabreFan1 thinks that is fair value.

The Sabres are in need of 2 things.  Consistent goaltending and young solid 2nd line wingers.  They already have two 1st round picks and recently traded a 3rd pick away. 

So basically, fair or not, it doesn't fill into their most pressing need(s).  As for a 1 for 1 hockey trade, if JB has a senior moment that affects his judgment during a call with Botterill, Demko would get the deal done I'd imagine, but most Vancouver fans would want to take JB out behind Rogers and rough him up if he did that.

Then again, like I've said plenty of times in the past, I'm a Demko fanboy.  I'm not so much a Risto fan so others may jump at that price in order to have both Risto and Hughes as the first pairing for the next 5-7 years.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

The Sabres are in need of 2 things.  Consistent goaltending and young solid 2nd line wingers.  They already have two 1st round picks and recently traded a 3rd pick away. 

So basically, fair or not, it doesn't fill into their most pressing need(s).  As for a 1 for 1 hockey trade, if JB has a senior moment that affects his judgment during a call with Botterill, Demko would get the deal done I'd imagine, but most Vancouver fans would want to take JB out behind Rogers and rough him up if he did that.

Then again, like I've said plenty of times in the past, I'm a Demko fanboy.  I'm not so much a Risto fan so others may jump at that price in order to have both Risto and Hughes as the first pairing for the next 5-7 years.

Big demko fan here too. But you have to give to get. Plus if marky continues this play next year he's young enough tk be our long term solution. 

Thanks for your input.

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

I think Demko could very much be dangled FWIW :ph34r:

Risto or otherwise.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I think Demko could very much be dangled FWIW :ph34r:

Risto or otherwise.

I'd personally take that trade, but I'm not an unbiased observer in regards to those 2 players so my opinion has to be taken with a grain of salt.

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I'd personally take that trade, but I'm not an unbiased observer in regards to those 2 players so my opinion has to be taken with a grain of salt.

He could use some work on his defensive play if he was to be a true top pair D. No idea on his personality though. But it would certainly be something to ponder.

Sure would make next year's D potentially a LOT better.

Edler, Risto

Hutton, Stecher

Hughes, Stralman

Sautner, Biega/Schenn

*Tanev moved.

Edited by aGENT

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

He could use some work on his defensive play if he was to be a true top pair D. No idea on his personality though. But it would certainly be something to ponder.

He's on the top pairing on the Sabres only because he can eat as many minutes as you throw at him.  That's why he'd be on the top pairing in Vancouver.  That and Hughes could gobble up Ristos rebounds and misses at the net and turn them into points.

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

He's on the top pairing on the Sabres only because he can eat as many minutes as you throw at him.  That's why he'd be on the top pairing in Vancouver.  That and Hughes could gobble up Ristos rebounds and misses at the net and turn them into points.

He's a +/- 40 point D on his own, he already does that better than anyone not named Edler on the Canucks :lol:

• Cheers 2

Just now, aGENT said:

He's a +/- 40 point D on his own, he already does that better than anyone not named Edler on the Canucks :lol:

With as many misses as Risto fires off (2.8% SP this season), Hughes would feast once he got the hang of Ristos shooting habits.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

With as many misses as Risto fires off (2.8% SP this season), Hughes would feast once he got the hang of Ristos shooting habits.

Doubt he'd be playing with Hughes (right away anyway).

Something like:

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Sure would make next year's D potentially a LOT better.

Edler, Risto

Hutton, Stecher

Hughes, Stralman

Sautner, Biega/Schenn

*Tanev moved.

Then maybe move Hutton + for a scoring winger when Juolevi's ready to move up (and Hughes can move up to pair with Risto, Stecher with Edler).

Edler, Stecher

Hughes, Risto

Juolevi, Stralman

Sautner, Biega/Schenn

(*Could also swap Stralman/Stecher)

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 2

10 hours ago, stawns said:

That would be about the dumbest move to make.

I’m interested how you would rank Juolevi now in this years draft class?  I’m praying Juolevi lives up to his 5th overall selection.  Obviously he still has time to develop into a great LHD.  But he is a mystery to me and his development hasn’t shown elite potential of what you expect from a 5th Overall selection.  I’d like to know where the Canucks project Juolevi today?  If they have soured its not out of the realm of possibility that they trade him for a mid 1st this year.  Benning has not been adverse to trading  his mistakes.  Sometimes waiting for a draft pick to reach their potential you devalue your asset.  On the flip side you can trade a prospect too quickly and another team reaps the benefits of your itchy trigger finger.  I’m glad I’m not a GM!