The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Jeff Skinner turned down multiple trades

Rush17

1 hour ago, gobi said:

That doesn't make much sense to me. Why not ask Skinner where he's willing to go to first before spending all that effort on a trade only to be turned down by the player. Especially if it happened multiple times?

Guarantee they already did, but if you're the GM and a different team offers something big for him wouldn't you ask him again?

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

I don't buy this rumour.

How many teams are lining up to take Skinner at 6.0 million, with one year of term -  at the price the Canes are reportedly asking?

My guess would be not a single one.

If the price were a fraction of the rumoured ask, perhaps they'd have a suitor or two.

I can't take this seriously at all - I doubt there's been a single deal to nix.

kYyg73U.gif 

25 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I think that market is going to get a disappointing wake up call if/when they manage to move Skinner.

The hype around him has been laughable.

I saw a source peddling a proposal of Skinner and the 42nd pick to Vancouver for the 7th overall and Goldobin. 

That is sheer delusional.

And I think the story that he's nixed mulitpile deals is equally laughable.

Good job of Leafs-esque attempts to oversell your assets through your media wings, but getting the hopes of Canes up, believing they're getting a bluechip + 1st type return - I'll believe that when I see it.

I wouldn't swap him one for one for a handful of the UFA forwards entering the market.  Do they really think they're going to sell him prior to free agency for that kind of return.

I must be missing something.

That I laughable. For one year of Skinner? They would be best to hold him to the deadline. He would be worth a first as a rental if he has another solid year.

2 hours ago, VanGnome said:

Lol it would take a lot more than that, I'm not even sure I'd want to pay the price. Have wanted Skinner on the team for a long time, but he's one year away from UFA and is going to be looking for a big pay day.

The conversation probably starts and ends with one of our top prospects, Benning should just hang up the phone on anyone who asks for Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Gaudette, Dahlen, Virtanen, Juolevi, Hughes, or Demko

virtanen can go. 

15 minutes ago, SedinMadness said:

virtanen can go. 

In two years you won't be saying that. I'm glad Benning hasn't given up on him, there were some maturity/commitment to fitness issues, but I think he's turned the corner. This year we should see it as a real make or break year for Virtanen. He's negotiating from a weak position right now for his RFA deal, so if he wants to get paid he will put in the effort (seems he already is this summer based on twitter). I expect Virtanen to earn top 6 minutes this year playing on the LW with either Horvat and Boeser, or Pettersson and whoever we get signed during UFA to fill the 2C need.

I would like to see what leipsic can do over a full season rather than trading for skinner, I felt there was glimpses of brilliance from that kid and he could easily push for that top line spot beside horvat and boeser never mind all the other young talented wingers Baer virt goldy dahlen or possibly a surprise from Lind or gadj maybe even the possibility of playing our golden boy EP beside them (even tho I don’t wanna see to much thrown in his shoulders this young) I don’t think we’re to far away from having that top line we so Badly want 

4 hours ago, oldnews said:

I don't buy this rumour.

How many teams are lining up to take Skinner at 6.0 million, with one year of term -  at the price the Canes are reportedly asking?

My guess would be not a single one.

If the price were a fraction of the rumoured ask, perhaps they'd have a suitor or two.

I can't take this seriously at all - I doubt there's been a single deal to nix.

I suspect that you are correct. There may be a team or two who could be interested, but they would have to have a lot of reasons why they want to make the deal, beyond Skinner being a good player who could be the reason you win the Cup for the 2018-19 season. So yeah, there's no reason he will wind up with the Canucks.

I'd say that they would first have to be a team which sees itself as a playoff/Cup contender (noted above). Second they have a hole on the wing due to retirement, injury, UFA departure, or they just aren't good enough at that position. Third, they have the cap room, but some retention would be appreciated. Fourth, they have a number of prospects and maybe picks which they are okay getting rid of (upcoming RFA's, or a type of player of which there is an abundance, or guys who just don't seem to be working out in this other team's system, etc).

Fifth, they are okay taking the risk of having Skinner play for them for only one year (they might want to talk to him about his intentions for the following year prior to making the trade).

This should narrow it down some.

regards,  G.

5 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Guarantee they already did, but if you're the GM and a different team offers something big for him wouldn't you ask him again?

And as an aside to this, perhaps Skinner did give consent for Carolina to talk to a couple of teams, and they all declined due to the asking price.

regards,  D.

Archived