The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Capitals re-sign John Carlson

Good deal for both sides.. I thought he'd get 8.25 to 8.5 per.... 

Led the league in scoring by Dman last year..  plays PP amd PK.....logs 25 mins per night...  great player....

Now Caps need to get Kempny done at around 3 mill and they have their top pairing unit back.. 

After that they have some RFAs Pelly and Wilson to do.... Caps look good next year again   

Just now, VanGnome said:

Orpik was dealt to Colorado in addition to Grubauer during round 1 of the draft on Friday.

Ya that's why he's saying orpik needs to be bought out so WSH can bring him back... in the Grubauer trade Orpik was a cap dump...

COL put him on waivers and plan to buy him out. McLennan is open to bringing him back to Capitals if the money is right....

Just now, WHL rocks said:

Ya that's why he's saying orpik needs to be bought out so WSH can bring him back... in the Grubauer trade Orpik was a cap dump...

COL put him on waivers and plan to buy him out. McLennan is open to bringing him back to Capitals if the money is right....

lol, isn't there a CBA clause specifically for these kinds of shenanigans?

In fact there is, straight from the NHL CBA FAQ:

"A team cannot reacquire a player they traded away during that season (a season being July 1 - June 30). If he is waived by his new team, then he cannot re-sign with his original team until the one-year anniversary of the trade, or until the July 1 following the end of his contract, whichever comes first. However, if a team trades a player's draft rights, they can reacquire the player during the same season."

7 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

lol, isn't there a CBA clause specifically for these kinds of shenanigans?

In fact there is, straight from the NHL CBA FAQ:

I originally thought there was a clause not allowing this.. .. but McLennan did say he was open to resigning Orpik.. so I assumed my original thought might have been a mistake... maybe McLennan is mistaken.....

The CBA you quote does say "or until July 1st following his contract, which ever comes first "... which is when Orpik would be eligible.....

So July 1st thus year or next year.... something for lawyers I guess....

I bet the bonus schedule makes this buyout proof too. 

Other than Green (for offence) Tanev is much better than any RHD left on the UFA list: https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2019/caphit/all/defense/ufa/desc/1/right

I think we'll have to wait to see what Tavares decides but after that I could see TO making an offer for Tanev. They have to so something with that d group. 

Archived