The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Capitals re-sign John Carlson

12 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I originally thought there was a clause not allowing this.. .. but McLennan did say he was open to resigning Orpik.. so I assumed my original thought might have been a mistake... maybe McLennan is mistaken.....

The CBA you quote does say "or until July 1st following his contract, which ever comes first "... which is when Orpik would be eligible.....

So July 1st thus year or next year.... something for lawyers I guess....

No it's certainly this year July 1st. Meaning that the caps can resign him after the buyout as long as the avs do it before July 1st and the caps can only do it after July 1st. 

31 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I originally thought there was a clause not allowing this.. .. but McLennan did say he was open to resigning Orpik.. so I assumed my original thought might have been a mistake... maybe McLennan is mistaken.....

The CBA you quote does say "or until July 1st following his contract, which ever comes first "... which is when Orpik would be eligible.....

So July 1st thus year or next year.... something for lawyers I guess....

I had to re-read it, I guess since he's being bought out before July 1, then he becomes eligible to re-sign with anyone including the caps.

My money is on Orpik signing a money deal where it tops him off to what his original salary is, so he'll make his buyout money plus the difference.

23 minutes ago, LarsEller said:

No it's certainly this year July 1st. Meaning that the caps can resign him after the buyout as long as the avs do it before July 1st and the caps can only do it after July 1st. 

Yeah definitely some shenanigans at hand. guy doesn't even have to leave his house.

He was gonna get paid wherever he went, glad to see he stuck with the Caps. That extra year probably brought the average down. They had to pay him, he's a big piece for them.

Now to see how long he continues to play at that level.

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I bet the bonus schedule makes this buyout proof too. 

Other than Green (for offence) Tanev is much better than any RHD left on the UFA list: https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2019/caphit/all/defense/ufa/desc/1/right

I think we'll have to wait to see what Tavares decides but after that I could see TO making an offer for Tanev. They have to so something with that d group. 

That's going to take a helluva offer.  Tanev is a very important piece of the puzzle development wise for the Canucks moving forward.

59 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

That's going to take a helluva offer.  Tanev is a very important piece of the puzzle development wise for the Canucks moving forward.

He's gone in 2 years regardless, I'd like to get value for him before he loses more of it. 

35 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Sorry bruh. But even if he made it to July 1, he wasn't coming here. 

He would have if we overpaid him :(

....okay, it’s good in the long term the Canucks didn’t sign him but I still maintain the Canucks with Carlson would solidly push for the playoffs between his presence and the new blood.

8 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

He would have if we overpaid him :(

....okay, it’s good in the long term the Canucks didn’t sign him but I still maintain the Canucks with Carlson would solidly push for the playoffs between his presence and the new blood.

Probably not. And even if he would have, both Benning and Linden have stated they won't be targeting any of the 'big' free agents. 

We're not shopping on Robson this year. Think more Commercial Drive.

12 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

yup, but when TO loses out on Tavares and with the top UFA D now off the market there is going to be pressure to do something. They can't go into next year with that defence and expect to do any better. 

8 was definitely too much for my taste. Open market he could very likely ask for 8.5-9mil. He has two 50 point seasons in his career. I don't know if he has the past to warrant more than 7mil. Win a cup, have a near 70 point season, cash in. Why not? Your name is on the cup. Get paid. He does eat a ton of minutes. Near a 25 minute player. 48% ozone starts. He's a great top 2 guy. We'll see how this deal looks as the Caps get older and slower. Which you have to imagine happens eventually. Ovi finally got his cup, it'll be interesting to see how he responds. 

25 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Don't think he'll re-sign?  If he intends not to and has a healthy final year he could bring in a pretty nice return at the TDL.

I'd wager he has little desire to continue wasting his prime on a team that likely will only start to sniff playoffs again after his current contract is up. I'd also imagine he'd likely jump at the chance to head out East, closer to home, with less travel and a more open game.

He could theoretically bring a nice return now/at the TDL before more injuries devalue him further too.

Archived