The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Capitals re-sign John Carlson

21 hours ago, aGENT said:

He's gone in 2 years regardless, I'd like to get value for him before he loses more of it. 

I get that he's a diminishing asset.  Benning has looked at the veterans that he has had and decided which ones to keep to help to develop the young players.  I think that he has decided that the benefit from this development is greater than whatever return he might get.

I know that this pisses people off because they want draft picks coming in.  But the big movement of assets going out start early in a rebuild.  Gillis started the wheels in motion when he traded Schneider for a 1st (Horvat) in 2013 and was followed up by Kesler forcing a deal the following year.  Aquilini had other thoughts but like it or not, Schneider, Luongo, Kesler, and Garrison had been moved out before July 1, 2014.  My point being that now is the time to develop players.  This is the stage they're at in the rebuild.   

As for Tanev (and Edler for that matter), I'm not so sure they don't get re-signed.  Not unless they have been pushed down the depth chart.  I'd like to see Tanev partner Juolevi this coming year and Hughes the next (or vice versa, whoever makes the big club first)

10 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yup, but when TO loses out on Tavares and with the top UFA D now off the market there is going to be pressure to do something. They can't go into next year with that defence and expect to do any better. 

Liljegren + works for me.....but the Canucks would still be hurting to develop Hughes and Juolevi properly

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

I get that he's a diminishing asset.  Benning has looked at the veterans that he has had and decided which ones to keep to help to develop the young players.  I think that he has decided that the benefit from this development is greater than whatever return he might get.

I know that this pisses people off because they want draft picks coming in.  But the big movement of assets going out start early in a rebuild.  Gillis started the wheels in motion when he traded Schneider for a 1st (Horvat) in 2013 and was followed up by Kesler forcing a deal the following year.  Aquilini had other thoughts but like it or not, Schneider, Luongo, Kesler, and Garrison had been moved out before July 1, 2014.  My point being that now is the time to develop players.  This is the stage they're at in the rebuild.   

As for Tanev (and Edler for that matter), I'm not so sure they don't get re-signed.  Not unless they have been pushed down the depth chart.  I'd like to see Tanev partner Juolevi this coming year and Hughes the next (or vice versa, whoever makes the big club first)

Not going to argue most of that as I agree with most of it. But as for the bolded, I think it's more a case of not yet getting an offer worth moving him for. Yet. 

As for the italicized, I don't see Tanev re-signing. Edler, maybe. Tanev I think bolts back East at his first opportunity. 

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Not going to argue most of that as I agree with most of it. But as for the bolded, I think it's more a case of not yet getting an offer worth moving him for. Yet. 

As for the italicized, I don't see Tanev re-signing. Edler, maybe. Tanev I think bolts back East at his first opportunity. 

I suppose there is a price that JB would agree to.  Benning just hasn't seen it yet.  So we have common ground there.

As for Tanev bolting.  I have heard no talk of him wanting to do that.  You know, in 2 years, things could look very different on the back end.  I'd like to think so anyways.  

Archived