The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018-19 Utica Comets Thread

1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

Myers is 29 in 3 weeks. He is playing on a team deep on D. If he came here and got thrust into a top pair role could he handle all the pressure that would come with it? He is on pace for mid 20pt totals for an entire season. Dont think that is worth a big investment imo. Dont get me wrong, I enjoyed watching him play for the Rockets but have to think if he goes to UFA then he likely gets 4-6yr deal at 5-6ish M per season Add in a NTC or NMC also depending on the cap hit.

If Canucks trade Tanev this TDL then it might make more sense to pursue him for sure

Sorry you are so right.. I was on hockey DB and must of looked at age of player above him on stat sheet.

So Myers is 29 years old, I agree if you could sign him for 5 million range for 4 years ?

Thanks for correcting me..

2 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Myers is 29 in 3 weeks. He is playing on a team deep on D. If he came here and got thrust into a top pair role could he handle all the pressure that would come with it? He is on pace for mid 20pt totals for an entire season. Dont think that is worth a big investment imo. Dont get me wrong, I enjoyed watching him play for the Rockets but have to think if he goes to UFA then he likely gets 4-6yr deal at 5-6ish M per season Add in a NTC or NMC also depending on the cap hit.

If Canucks trade Tanev this TDL then it might make more sense to pursue him for sure

Ya I don't think you sign the guy unless your considering trading Tanev before his contract is up. I mean even if the plan was to trade Tanev next deadline it wouldn't hurt to be deep on the right D side considering the history this team has with injuries. Trade and resign Edler this deadline/offseason and then run a D lineup of

Edler-Stecher

Hutton-Guddy

Hughes-Myers

Kubalkov show tonight. Number 1 star! He was pumped after this win. Gave the crown an extra ovation after the game and then again after they called him out for the 1st start.  The fans love the kid.  Overall a great team win again.  Repeat with the Scrunch this Wednesday.  Comets move up to #2 in the division although they have played six more games than the Scrunch.

By Ben Birnell

Sunday

Posted at 5:15 PM

Adam Gaudette is back with the Utica Comets – again.

The rookie forward was assigned to the Comets from the parent Vancouver Canucks on Sunday, less than a week after he had been summoned by the NHL team.

The move was made to make room on the Canucks roster for Josh Leivo, who had missed time recently with an injury. Gaudette didn’t require waivers in order to be assigned to Utica, thus making the move easier for Vancouver.

It will be the third stint of the season with the Comets for the 22-year-old Gaudette, who has shown well in his short with the team. Gaudette has shown impressive skill and smarts – and gained some praise from coach Trent Cull — in seven games with the Comets. He’s totaled four goals – including two Jan. 5 during a career-best three-point effort in a win over Cleveland – and has seven points.

Gaudette will help provide another center option for the Comets, who have needed some help at the position this season. In recent games with the Comets, Gaudette centered a line with fellow rookie Jonathan Dahlen and veteran Tom Pyatt.

He’ll likely been in the lineup this week when the Comets continue a season-long five-game homestand. The Comets get visits from Syracuse (Wednesday), Binghamton (Friday) and Belleville (Saturday) as they look to continue a recent surge in the North Division standings.

The Comets (21-17-3-1, 46 points) are in the mathematical second half of their schedule, having played an AHL-most 41 games. The Comets are 5-1-1-0 in the last seven games following a 3-2 win over Syracuse on Saturday in Utica. The Comets are one point ahed of the Crunch in the division.

7 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Time for another look at Gaunce. The guy is much more than an AHL player imo.

He doesn't have the skill or speed to be a middle 6 player, but plays with smarts that translates pretty well in a 4th line role which he's shown he can do in the past in the NHL.

He doesn't coast around as much as he used to and engages players along the boards and in puck battles a lot better now.  He plays a solid defensive game that seems to be a little underrated by some fans because they expect more from him, which is understandable being a first round pick.

I always viewed him as a long term project, and having him continue his development offensively and as a leader for Utica is starting to pay off for him.

3 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

Gaunce has been the Comets best player since coming back down.  He plays a complete 200 foot game and looks every bit of a NHL player in the AHL. He looks very much like a player that has been playing the game at a higher pace and the speed of the AHL is very slow for him.  I can't say enough good things about him.

Ya never understood why we signed Schaller who makes over double his salary to fill the same role. Gaunce didnt put up much for pts in the NHL, could use his body more  and engage physically to try to get back and stay in the NHL