The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018-19 Utica Comets Thread

16 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

Sautner was the only player papered down to Utica. Mazenec had to be physically sent down because he was on an emergency recall and Demko was activated from IR. MacEwen was physically returned to because he wasn't needed on the roster with Pearson coming in and Edler returning. So technically Sautner is the only player currently on the Canucks roster that can be sent down to Utica at any time the rest of this season including the playoffs.

Why Gaudette and Schenn were not papered and made eligible is mind numbing but it happens every year with Benning.

To say i am disappointed that Gaudette was not made available is an understatement. What is happening in Vancouver until the end of the season means little other than evaluation of some of the pieces acquired and where some of the vets might fit next year. Benning better know something we don't as this does not look good to me. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Boudrias said:

To say i am disappointed that Gaudette was not made available is an understatement. What is happening in Vancouver until the end of the season means little other than evaluation of some of the pieces acquired and where some of the vets might fit next year. Benning better know something we don't as this does not look good to me. 

I think they feel he has earned the right to stay up.Reminds me of Motte being eligible to be sent down this year but kicked the door down and made them keep him up even if it wasn't the best asset management. I think the same for Jake last year at this time.

22 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

Why Gaudette and Schenn were not papered and made eligible is mind numbing but it happens every year with Benning.

It's very disappointing to hear JB say publicly, which I have on more than one occasion, that they need to do a better job as an organization of supporting Utica because that leads to all areas of the franchise being more successful down the road - then learn they could have made moves to better support Utica but chose not to.  That said, I understand the fine-line between making sure the farm is supported and using the farm for it's intended purpose which is ultimately to support the Canucks NHL team. 

6 hours ago, Boudrias said:

4 points out of a playoff spot

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Wise Owl said:

I think they feel he has earned the right to stay up.Reminds me of Motte being eligible to be sent down this year but kicked the door down and made them keep him up even if it wasn't the best asset management. I think the same for Jake last year at this time.

He could have finished the season with the Canucks and then join Utica for the post-season.  

The Canucks' last game of the regular season is 6 April.  The Comets end their season on 14 April.

Edited by mll

On February 25, 2019 at 5:01 PM, UticaHockey said:

If he had done so, the Canucks would now have zero non-emergency recalls left this year. Obviously that doesn't matter to you, but I don't think JB likes to have his hands tied, and I don't blame him.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2

Dropped 1-3 vs Rochester.  Ugly game for the defense.  Left Leighton out in the wind on 2 goals.  Actually Leighton stopped several odd man rush and breakaway shots.  This was a game of inches and bounces and the Comets didn't get any in their favor.  The Comets actually had better chances in front of Amerks net but just couldn't find back of the net.  Mazanec was the backup.

Interview with Dahlen:

https://www.fearthefin.com/2019/2/27/18242765/2019-nhl-trade-deadline-jonathan-dahlen-vancouver-canucks-jim-benning-san-jose-sharks-barracuda

FTF: If I could clear up some things then, did your agent ask for a trade?

JD: No, I don’t think so.

We had a little stuff down there in Utica where I really wanted to feel good about myself and have confidence in my game and play well. I don’t want to say anything bad about anybody, but I didn’t feel too good about my hockey game there.

To be honest, I just want to put it behind me, and I’m really excited to work with the great coaching staff here who have already made me feel a lot better about myself. I’m really ready to get going here and work hard and just be happy and love to play hockey.

FTF: Jim Benning said some young players these days don’t want to “pay their dues” to make it to the NHL. He was referring, in part, to you. Was that a fair assessment from him?

JD: I don’t know. To be honest, I’m just excited to be here and work hard and try to get to the next level.

But first of all, I want to be a good player in the American Hockey League. I haven’t even put my eyes on the NHL yet, I just want to play in the [AHL] first and make a good impression there.

Obviously, you can’t jump over a step, and that’s not what I want to do either because that would just look terribly wrong if I’m in the NHL and not good enough. I’m trying to develop my game here in the [AHL] and become a good player there first before I even think about taking the next step.

FTF: Benning also said the discrepancy between your camp and the Canucks was that your camp thought you should be in the NHL at some point this year. You’re saying that wasn’t a fair portrayal?

JD: No, I want to be a leading player in the [AHL] and play there.

I was trying really hard in Utica to earn minutes in key situations and working really hard to do it. But I’m just happy to be here and I want to try and earn minutes here with the Barracuda. It’s not like I have any eyes on the NHL yet because I’ve got a lot to work on to get there, for sure.

Now, maybe Dahlen didn't demand a trade, but clearly his camp brought it up: 

He also pointed out in the interview that he needs to work on his speed and defensive game, so he's aware of his shortcomings. There are two sides to every story, but it seems like Dahlen was unhappy with his treatment and usage in Utica, not the lack of opportunity at the NHL level. 

Edited by GoldenAlien
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, UticaHockey said:

This is the fourth trade deadline in a row that the Comets became weaker at the deadline and had players that were Comets in the month of February not papered back down to make them eligible again that same season. Each year the moves or lack there of can be rationalized but four years in a row is a pattern if you ask me. 

Take a look at the transactions for TDL day the last year that Henning was the AGM in Vancouver and responsible for the Comets. Not only did they max out on the number of players papered down but they intentionally made the Comets stronger by trading for Conacher (AHL assigned player in Jeffery for AHL assigned player in Conacher)  and assigning Baertschi here who they had traded for earlier. And they did not have any issues recalling players from the Comets after the deadline as injury replacements even though they maxed out on paper up and down transactions. After the deadline Corrado, Baertschi, both goalies Markstrom and Eriksson were recalled to Vancouver and then returned to Utica before the playoffs. There are ways to make your AHL team as competitive as possible while having players available for recall if needed. It just needs to be a priority and you have to put someone in charge of managing the AHL team that executes on that priority. They had that in Henning. They do not have that in Johnson.

This leads to the question of what is Vancouver's strategy for Utica besides the obvious of development and a warehouse to store depth players for injury call up needs.  Is there a strategy or do they simply wing it?  Ryan Johnson talks out of both sides of his mouth when asked these type of questions.  I'll paraphrase his two most common responses that he gives to the Vancouver media when pressed about why some of the rookies have been scratched in Utica this season.  1) Because the AHL is a difficult league and these kids need protection and if the Comets played all of the rookies at the same time in top minute roles the team would lose almost every night which isn't good for anyone including the young prospects.  So winning is apparently important to him.  2) He has responded in at least two radio interviews that his goal is not to win a Calder Cup but these responses seemed defensive in nature because he was being pressed about winning versus development and playing veterans over prospects.  But at the same time when he has been in more friendly interviews he has responded on numerous occasions that making the playoffs is extremely valuable experience for these kids because the intensity of the games is so much higher and the pressure of making the right play on every shift will help them when they reach the NHL.  So if he believes that AHL playoff hockey is an important learning experience shouldn't he be doing something to help get his team there and potentially win a few rounds?

I'll finish this rant with one additional data point.  While Vancouver yet again did not make to players that were on the Comets in February available to return at any point again this season Buffalo and Carolina papered down two players that have been in the NHL all season and never played a single AHL game in Tage Thompson and Warren Foegele.  The Belleville Senators who are one point behind in the standings for the final playoff spot were loaded up with both paper transactions and actual reassignments. I'm not saying that Gaudette and Schenn should be in Utica now because clearly the injury situation in Vancouver created a need for them there.  But by not papering them the door was shut permanently closed for the rest of this season including the playoffs.  Heck even Spooner was exempt from waivers at the TDL because he was in the AHL at the time of the trade if they wanted to paper someone other than Gaudette.

2019-02-28_0854.png

Man, why does Canucks management suck at these things? 

1 hour ago, UticaHockey said:

This leads to the question of what is Vancouver's strategy for Utica

The only positive answer I can come up with, is that JB wants to have a look at a prospect or two ( without having to have a Canuck injured ). Jasek maybe. McEneny/ Chatfield perhaps. MacEwen/ Gaunce maybe, or even Kero or Pyatt to evaluate next season's signings.

At about the 70 game mark, if we are out of playoff contention, we might see some 'show me' call ups.

Edited by SingleThorn

1 hour ago, SingleThorn said:

The only positive answer I can come up with, is that JB wants to have a look at a prospect or two ( without having to have a Canuck injured ). Jasek maybe. McEneny/ Chatfield perhaps. MacEwen/ Gaunce maybe, or even Kero or Pyatt to evaluate next season's signings.

At about the 70 game mark, if we are out of playoff contention, we might see some 'show me' call ups.

Like I said each individual season can be rationalized but four years in a row the Comets came out of the trade deadline as a weaker team than they had earlier in the month of February with no chance to even get back to the same level because some players were not made eligible to rejoin the team again at any point that season.  To think that there will not be any injuries in the next 5 or 6 weeks that will allow a look at anyone in Utica while being possible is not probable.  Other teams "manage" the emergency recall rules every year to bring players up and down for late season looks.  Things changed in the way that the Comets were managed significantly when Henning and Gilman were fired and the void was never filled.  

On 2/27/2019 at 8:06 PM, GoldenAlien said:

Interview with Dahlen:

https://www.fearthefin.com/2019/2/27/18242765/2019-nhl-trade-deadline-jonathan-dahlen-vancouver-canucks-jim-benning-san-jose-sharks-barracuda

Now, maybe Dahlen didn't demand a trade, but clearly his camp brought it up: 

He also pointed out in the interview that he needs to work on his speed and defensive game, so he's aware of his shortcomings. There are two sides to every story, but it seems like Dahlen was unhappy with his treatment and usage in Utica, not the lack of opportunity at the NHL level. 

Dahlen...typical millennial wanting others to make him feel better about himself. Pathetic.

Make yourself feel better about yourself Dahlen you shrinking violet!!

• Wat 2
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

Like I said each individual season can be rationalized but four years in a row the Comets came out of the trade deadline as a weaker team than they had earlier in the month of February with no chance to even get back to the same level because some players were not made eligible to rejoin the team again at any point that season.  To think that there will not be any injuries in the next 5 or 6 weeks that will allow a look at anyone in Utica while being possible is not probable.  Other teams "manage" the emergency recall rules every year to bring players up and down for late season looks.  Things changed in the way that the Comets were managed significantly when Henning and Gilman were fired and the void was never filled.  

For the life of me I do not understand what is going on with Canuck management. IMHO the biggest bang for the org was in Utica this year not Vancouver. I am saying that as a BC'er. It is not just about taking this group deep into the Calder Cup but also about next year. Over the next 2 years Utica will be getting a raft of collegiate players who turn pro. Why Gaudette was not papered is a serious head scratcher. If it was a vain attempt for the Canucks to make playoffs it was not close to being worth it. Gaudette will be a Canuck next year but what an experience of a long Calder run to give him the big boost forward. Schenn should be there as well. Simple don't get it.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Boudrias said:

For the life of me I do not understand what is going on with Canuck management. IMHO the biggest bang for the org was in Utica this year not Vancouver. I am saying that as a BC'er. It is not just about taking this group deep into the Calder Cup but also about next year. Over the next 2 years Utica will be getting a raft of collegiate players who turn pro. Why Gaudette was not papered is a serious head scratcher. If it was a vain attempt for the Canucks to make playoffs it was not close to being worth it. Gaudette will be a Canuck next year but what an experience of a long Calder run to give him the big boost forward. Schenn should be there as well. Simple don't get it.

Totally agree it does make 0 sense. If JB gives Edler a NTC I will lose all faith, let him stay as president but I disagree with most of his FA signings and his trades are sometimes knee jerk reactions imo.

Why not send all the reinforcements you can to help Utica...

Hopefully our younger prospects can earn the coaches trust to play regularly down the stretch and do well in the playoffs.

I think Vancouver needs to be more hands on with Utica and player developement. It sure does not seem that way, Dahlen was a great player of course he would have some adjustments. I wish JB didnt make a knee jerk trade of Dahlen. At worst they should have finished the year off and seen how he came to training camp next fall before deciding to move him. I am sure Palmu signed to be a regular contributor to the Comets, would he need to adjust yes just like all players. I dont fault the kid for going back to Finland, he just loves hockey and wanted to play.

On 2/28/2019 at 6:41 AM, UticaHockey said:

This is the fourth trade deadline in a row that the Comets became weaker at the deadline and had players that were Comets in the month of February not papered back down to make them eligible again that same season. Each year the moves or lack there of can be rationalized but four years in a row is a pattern if you ask me. 

Take a look at the transactions for TDL day the last year that Henning was the AGM in Vancouver and responsible for the Comets. Not only did they max out on the number of players papered down but they intentionally made the Comets stronger by trading for Conacher (AHL assigned player in Jeffery for AHL assigned player in Conacher)  and assigning Baertschi here who they had traded for earlier. And they did not have any issues recalling players from the Comets after the deadline as injury replacements even though they maxed out on paper up and down transactions. After the deadline Corrado, Baertschi, both goalies Markstrom and Eriksson were recalled to Vancouver and then returned to Utica before the playoffs. There are ways to make your AHL team as competitive as possible while having players available for recall if needed. It just needs to be a priority and you have to put someone in charge of managing the AHL team that executes on that priority. They had that in Henning. They do not have that in Johnson.

This leads to the question of what is Vancouver's strategy for Utica besides the obvious of development and a warehouse to store depth players for injury call up needs.  Is there a strategy or do they simply wing it?  Ryan Johnson talks out of both sides of his mouth when asked these type of questions.  I'll paraphrase his two most common responses that he gives to the Vancouver media when pressed about why some of the rookies have been scratched in Utica this season.  1) Because the AHL is a difficult league and these kids need protection and if the Comets played all of the rookies at the same time in top minute roles the team would lose almost every night which isn't good for anyone including the young prospects.  So winning is apparently important to him.  2) He has responded in at least two radio interviews that his goal is not to win a Calder Cup but these responses seemed defensive in nature because he was being pressed about winning versus development and playing veterans over prospects.  But at the same time when he has been in more friendly interviews he has responded on numerous occasions that making the playoffs is extremely valuable experience for these kids because the intensity of the games is so much higher and the pressure of making the right play on every shift will help them when they reach the NHL.  So if he believes that AHL playoff hockey is an important learning experience shouldn't he be doing something to help get his team there and potentially win a few rounds?

I'll finish this rant with one additional data point.  While Vancouver yet again did not make to players that were on the Comets in February available to return at any point again this season Buffalo and Carolina papered down two players that have been in the NHL all season and never played a single AHL game in Tage Thompson and Warren Foegele.  The Belleville Senators who are one point behind in the standings for the final playoff spot were loaded up with both paper transactions and actual reassignments. I'm not saying that Gaudette and Schenn should be in Utica now because clearly the injury situation in Vancouver created a need for them there.  But by not papering them the door was shut permanently closed for the rest of this season including the playoffs.  Heck even Spooner was exempt from waivers at the TDL because he was in the AHL at the time of the trade if they wanted to paper someone other than Gaudette.

2019-02-28_0854.png

that's what happens when the big club is hit with devastating injuries.  Sh!t runs downhill