The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018-19 Utica Comets Thread

12 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

On paper they have some good prospects that should be exciting to watch but until we see how they adjust to the pro game I won't make any predictions.  Cole Cassels should teach us to wait and see how these kids develop at the next level.

Even if players like Lind, Gadjovich, Dahlen etc excel in the AHL this team will not be a Calder Cup contender without a true #1 center, a #1 dman and great goaltending.  

The #1 center is completely lacking in the organization at this time so the thing to look for is if they address it in free agency.  With the quality of prospects playing on the wing in Utica it should be a high organizational objective to get them a center that will aid their development.

The #1 dman would be a nice bonus but could be less important if Chatfield, Brisebois, Sautner and MacEneny continue to develop. (Or Juolevi being here for the playoffs?)

Then the goaltending situation.....Bachman is a good mentor and a #2 AHL goalie.  He was better down the stretch but really struggled during the first half of last season.  If Demko is here of they waive Nilsson down to Utica to make room for Thatcher we will be fine but if Nilsson is moved to make room for Demko then goaltending will be an issue for the Comets.

What are some names you think the Comets could/should target for that second top six C, either via trade or free agency?

12 minutes ago, Guile said:

What are some names you think the Comets could/should target for that second top six C, either via trade or free agency?

I haven't looked at the list of AHL level players that are available in free agency this year but the typical high end AHL veteran lives year to year on either one or two year contracts so there are some available every year.  A player like Phil Varone comes to mind.  No longer a NHL prospect but puts up a ton of assists in the AHL and can get the puck to the prospects on the wing in scoring positions. Varone is signed for another year but that type of player to play as the #1 C in Utica who would be addressing a need without taking playing time from a younger player because a #1 C doesn't currently exist in the system.  Another player that would interest me is Mathew Peca who is a UFA and would be a nice take away from Syracuse/Tampa Bay.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Guile said:

there's a very good chance that Juolevi, Gaudette, Motte and Hughes are in Utica to start

Edited by stawns

6 hours ago, JamesB said:

3. Center is a problem for Utica. I was wondering if Utica would bring back Cassels on an AHL contract. But I guess not. And I have to agree with that decision. I agree with TGT that the Canucks should sigh a high-end veteran AHL center to play between some of their skilled wingers, particularly Dahlen and Lind. Assuming Kero plays 1C or 2C, they need another good playmaking top 6 C.

I don't know that I've heard they're completely walking away from Cassels yet. That they didn't qualify him could mean a couple of things. They could be looking at him on an AHL contract, or just wanting to renegotiate his NHL contract to something lower than what his qualifying offer would have been. We'll see if they do bring him back, as they do need to do something beyond seeing who drops from the Canucks.

2 hours ago, elvis15 said:

I don't know that I've heard they're completely walking away from Cassels yet. That they didn't qualify him could mean a couple of things. They could be looking at him on an AHL contract, or just wanting to renegotiate his NHL contract to something lower than what his qualifying offer would have been. We'll see if they do bring him back, as they do need to do something beyond seeing who drops from the Canucks.

Cam Darcy is an adequate #3 C and Cassels would be an adequate #4 C if they try to sign him to an AHL contract.  I doubt they are trying to sign Cassels to a NHL contract at less than the required qualifying offer because his current ELC NHL salary is less than the league min and his AHL salary is at the min for an ELC.

7 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

Cam Darcy is an adequate #3 C and Cassels would be an adequate #4 C if they try to sign him to an AHL contract.  I doubt they are trying to sign Cassels to a NHL contract at less than the required qualifying offer because his current ELC NHL salary is less than the league min and his AHL salary is at the min for an ELC.

certainly possible that Gaudette, Motte, Kero and cassels are the 4 cmen to start next season in Utica

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

certainly possible that Gaudette, Motte, Kero and cassels are the 4 cmen to start next season in Utica

At this point my assumption is Kero will start the season as the #2 C and Darcy the #3 C.  I believe Motte will start the season in Utica because the Canucks managed his games at the end of last season to leave him one game short of requiring waivers to be sent down.  The fact that Motte will initially be waiver exempt out of training camp makes me believe he will start out in Utica.  Motte can play center but looks better on the wing.  With all of the hype that was put on Gaudette last year I don't see him being sent to Utica.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

I haven't looked at the list of AHL level players that are available in free agency this year but the typical high end AHL veteran lives year to year on either one or two year contracts so there are some available every year.  A player like Phil Varone comes to mind.  No longer a NHL prospect but puts up a ton of assists in the AHL and can get the puck to the prospects on the wing in scoring positions. Varone is signed for another year but that type of player to play as the #1 C in Utica who would be addressing a need without taking playing time from a younger player because a #1 C doesn't currently exist in the system.  Another player that would interest me is Mathew Peca who is a UFA and would be a nice take away from Syracuse/Tampa Bay.  

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

@UticaHockey Right, you've definitely mentioned Peca before, that would be great to pull off. A while ago, someone else in another thread mentioned Emil Pettersson, who at first glance would also fit the bill (in multiple ways, obviously).

I hope we sign Beagle or equivalent and send Gaudette down, he could use a bit of extra skating work and top six minutes with aforementioned skilled wings can't hurt. Admittedly, I said the same of Boeser last year and we know how that turned out, but Gaudette is not the same caliber of player right now. It could go either way - I know Green was impressed with Adam's details and defensive sense right away, so he could be with either team to start the year and I wouldn't be surprised or displeased at all.

Motte doesn't seem like that quality passing type of centre, more of a speedy motor guy, but that's purely an observation from his incredibly defense-oriented role in the NHL last year. As I said earlier, don't know enough about Kero to comment on his playmaking ability.

Regardless of Gaudette's placement, a sure-fire passing top-six centre would be good to bring in.

I really hope management doesn't pencil in Motte as the #1 centre and think that's enough. Injuries will happen, Motte gets called up, then he loses his waiver exemption and Utica doesn't have him available anymore. He can of course be waived back down but no guarantee that he makes it through - granted, not sure if he's worth a claim but there's always the chance that Benning will just keep him with the big club out of fear of losing him, regardless of how other teams value him. Or if there's a plethora of injuries then he may just stick and fill a roster spot up here.

They need a guy like Cal O'Reilly or Chaput who they can just leave in the AHL the whole year or maybe call up for spot duty with no fear of a claim.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Guile said:

@UticaHockey Right, you've definitely mentioned Peca before, that would be great to pull off. A while ago, someone else in another thread mentioned Emil Pettersson, who at first glance would also fit the bill (in multiple ways, obviously).

I hope we sign Beagle or equivalent and send Gaudette down, he could use a bit of extra skating work and top six minutes with aforementioned skilled wings can't hurt. Admittedly, I said the same of Boeser last year and we know how that turned out, but Gaudette is not the same caliber of player right now. It could go either way - I know Green was impressed with Adam's details and defensive sense right away, so he could be with either team to start the year and I wouldn't be surprised or displeased at all.

Motte doesn't seem like that quality passing type of centre, more of a speedy motor guy, but that's purely an observation from his incredibly defense-oriented role in the NHL last year. As I said earlier, don't know enough about Kero to comment on his playmaking ability.

Regardless of Gaudette's placement, a sure-fire passing top-six centre would be good to bring in.

I was very impressed with Motte in the limited time that he spent with the Comets after the NHL season ended.  He should be able to carve out a NHL career on a fourth line.  Fast, physical and never takes a shift off.  I'd love to see him back in Utica but he isn't the play-making center that they need on the top line. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

With all of the hype that was put on Gaudette last year I don't see him being sent to Utica.

I think a LOT will depend how they do in free agency and/or trade. I'd love to see us take on a cap dump (+assets) for a guy like Anisimov. 

Alternately, if we sign guys like Beagle and say Riley Nash (my hope...along with a Roussel or Reaves), Gaudette almost certainly starts in Utica (which I'd personally be fine with as we need the injury depth IMO).

(Most of the wingers could be moved up and down)

Leipsic, Horvat, Boeser

Roussel, Sutter, Eriksson

Baer/Goldobin, Nash/Anisimov, Pettersson (sheltered O-line)

Granlund, Beagle, Virtanen

Gaunce/Gagner

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UticaHockey said:

At this point my assumption is Kero will start the season as the #2 C and Darcy the #3 C.  I believe Motte will start the season in Utica because the Canucks managed his games at the end of last season to leave him one game short of requiring waivers to be sent down.  The fact that Motte will initially be waiver exempt out of training camp makes me believe he will start out in Utica.  Motte can play center but looks better on the wing.  With all of the hype that was put on Gaudette last year I don't see him being sent to Utica.

I think gaudette is ging to be a solid NHL cman, I just don't see him being ready to carry that load yet.  Some of the comments from JB would indicate the same concern from the org.  I think if they sign a #2-3 UFA cman (Bozak, Nash etc), they'll let AG develop in a #1-2, offensive cman role......something he won't get in Van

1 hour ago, Guile said:

Motte might not be that at the the NHL level, but they have a chance to let him develop that in Utica.  Even if he plays W in the NHL, it would be great depth if he could lay C in a pinch and had some solid pro experience to fall back on if need be.

I'm all in for Beagle, the team could use another solid face off guy.

Do you think it would be at all possible if A. Grenier was brought back by the Comets ? I am sure they would welcome D.Archibald back with open arms if he doesnt get a Canucks contract. Although both being wingers does that cause a log jam for the younger guys?

On 6/25/2018 at 6:28 AM, UticaHockey said:

Which of these guys would you want?

https://theahl.com/stats/player-stats/all-teams/57?playertype=skater&position=forwards&rookie=no&sort=assists&statstype=standard&page=1&league=4

40 minutes ago, rizzuto&hatoum said:

The number 10 name on that list is Curtis Valk and I'll never understand why they let him go. He was past his injury problems and trending in the right direction.

On ‎2018‎-‎06‎-‎24 at 4:09 PM, stonecoldstevebernier said:

27016743728_e7395cd170_k.jpg

With free agency approaching and a recent increase in transactions affecting the Comets, I figured it was about time to get this thread going.

The Comets 2017-18 season came to an end in the first round of the playoffs, pushing the eventual Calder Cup winning Toronto Marlies to a deciding fifth game and falling in the series 3-2. Utica saw a number of exciting prospects test the waters late in the season, including Lukas Jasek, Kole Lind, and Jonathan Dahlen. All figure to be given ample opportunity this year with Utica who are poised to have the most young talent they’ve had in their lineup since their inception, as Olli Juolevi, Jonah Gadjovich, Petrus Palmu, and perhaps even the likes of Adam Gaudette or Quinn Hughes could join their ranks.

On the flip side, Utica currently faces some question marks at centre as well as being without a true #1 defenseman. Last year’s number one pivot Michael Chaput was flipped to Chicago for Tanner Kero, whose AHL numbers are slightly inferior to Chaput’s while being more of a proven NHL contributor. Cole Cassels did not receive a qualifying offer, and longtime Comet Wacey Hamilton has not been re-signed – although neither is a big loss offensively. Cam Darcy returns, but ideally he is a good #3 guy who can fill in as a #2 on occasion. There’s also the possibility that Adam Gaudette could spend time in Utica, or perhaps Zack MacEwen could be utilized at centre after spending most of his rookie season on the wing. Tyler Motte retains his ability to pass through waivers and could be an option if he fails to make the Canucks out of training camp. To me, the centre ice position is going to be more of a factor than ever this season with the large influx of young wingers – Dahlen, Lind, Jasek, Gadjovich, and Palmu will all be figuring out the pro game and they need skilled centres who can support them through the inevitable learning curve.

As of now, it appears that the tandem of Demko and Bachman will return in net, barring the Canucks moving Nilsson or Demko outplaying him in training camp. Evan McEneny will look to have a bounce back season after being sidelined for almost the entire 2017-18 campaign and will likely see some big minutes as he helps anchor what is shaping up to be a young defense group. They lack a true #1 but with McEneny, Sautner, Brisebois, Chatfield, and possibly Juolevi all on the roster, all will need playing time, and all have valuable pro experience under their belts already. Sifers is the lone vet on the back end, with Blujus returning as well to make 7 capable AHL defensemen. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them add another AHLer in free agency for depth/injury insurance, but the quality of that d-man is yet to be seen. Could be a Wiercioch/Robak/Sanguinetti leading man type, could be a secondary guy in the David Shields mold to help take pressure off the kids.

PLAYERS CURRENTLY SIGNED FOR 2018-19

Forwards:

Arseneau, Vincent
Bancks, Carter
Boucher, Reid
Carcone, Michael
Dahlen, Jonathan
Darcy, Cam
Gadjovich, Jonah
Jasek, Lukas
Kero, Tanner
LaPlante, Yan-Pavel
Lind, Kole
MacEwen, Zack
MacMaster, Tanner
Motte, Tyler
Palmu, Petrus

Defencemen:

Blujus, Dylan
Brisebois, Guillaume
Chatfield, Jalen
Dirk, Jagger
Juolevi, Olli
McEneny, Evan
Sautner, Ashton
Sifers, Jaime

Goaltenders:

Bachman, Richard
Demko, Thatcher

There are also a short collection of players whose status is as of now undetermined. Certain players from last year’s team like Cassels, LaBate, Wiercioch and more have already been publicly reported as not returning. Others like Darren Archibald and Nic Dowd are borderline NHLers who could spend time in the AHL, but remain unsigned by the Canucks. The Comets also have a handful of free agents of their own – Wacey Hamilton, Alexis D’Aoust, Adam Comrie – who don’t have deals yet. Quinn Hughes hasn’t decided on whether he’ll turn pro or go back to university yet, but could see time in Utica if he chooses the former.

This post will be updated as the offseason progresses. Go Comets!

Thanks for posting this.

I'm curious if Elias P could start the season in the AHL with Dahlen?

I believe it's either the NHL or Michigan for Hughes?

Is Manukyan eligible for the "A" he's 20 bring the sprite over?

26 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Thanks for posting this.

I'm curious if Elias P could start the season in the AHL with Dahlen?

I believe it's either the NHL or Michigan for Hughes?

Is Manukyan eligible for the "A" he's 20 bring the sprite over?

If he were to turn pro and sign an entry level deal with the Canucks he would be able to play in the AHL.