1 hour ago, BlastPast said:

I'm not disagreeing with the fact that TB have drafted well  and had AHL success in recent years I'm just not of the opinion that the Comets have been as poorly managed as you're suggesting . Didn't the Comets make the playoffs last season and take the eventual champion Marlies to 5 games (in a 5 game series) ?  That was , again, while they and parent team were hit hard by injuries. This season by my count they also have 12 players on ELC (incl. Demko/Laplante) .  I'm not familiar enough with AHL veterans to say whether they should or should't have added players of that type but injuries with Vancouver have taken a few away for prolonged stretches and kept Gaudette up for longer than I'm sure they planned.   To not factor that in when appraising performance is a little disingenuous imo.  

I'm not suggesting things have gone optimally but the idea that management don't value the presence of veterans to benefit youth is inconsistent with everything they have said and their actions, for the most part,  reflect that.  

I didn't see why you brought up the Canucks drafting later than Tampa as these players are no longer in the minors.  I was only indicating that it's about development philosophy.  

Comets fans sound frustrated because they feel there are not enough skilled veterans to help develop prospects. One of the issues raised was the lack of playmaking Cs and the Canucks deciding to send Gagner to the Marlies because he would take ice time away from prospects, and it was fairer to him to be in Toronto where he could more easily go and visit his family.  Laurence Gillman in Toronto was talking about how it was a no-brainer to bring in Gagner with his skills and experience because he was going to make their prospects better and help them develop.   

Gaudette is a prospect on an ELC.  He too needs support to develop.     

The Utica playoffs started after the Canucks season was over.  

Laplante has not played since November 2017 so I didn't count him.  CapFriendly has 10 skaters + Demko or 11 players.  Syracuse have 15 + 1 goalie so 16 players on ELCs.  Each team have one ELC player recalled.  

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mll said:

I didn't see why you brought up the Canucks drafting later than Tampa as these players are no longer in the minors.  I was only indicating that it's about development philosophy.  

Comets fans sound frustrated because they feel there are not enough skilled veterans to help develop prospects. One of the issues raised was the lack of playmaking Cs and the Canucks deciding to send Gagner to the Marlies because he would take ice time away from prospects, and it was fairer to him to be in Toronto where he could more easily go and visit his family.  Laurence Gillman in Toronto was talking about how it was a no-brainer to bring in Gagner with his skills and experience because he was going to make their prospects better and help them develop.   

Gaudette is a prospect on an ELC.  He too needs support to develop.     

The Utica playoffs started after the Canucks season was over.  

Laplante has not played since November 2017 so I didn't count him.  CapFriendly has 10 skaters + Demko or 11 players.  Syracuse have 15 + 1 goalie so 16 players on ELCs.  Each team have one ELC player recalled.  

I brought it up because it's relevant , the players they accumulated 4+ years ago have, in part,  given them the ability to keep guys in Syracuse longer which obviously helps that teams performance.  The Gagner issue seems to be one where they decided to do a solid for a veteran player and put him before the team, this can be debated but it seems to be the case. 

Not sure why the timing of playoffs is relevant as they made the playoffs during the Canucks season unless accomplishments while remotely fully staffed aren't eligible for consideration.

I'm not suggesting there isn't needs for the team but surely they would be less noticeable if they had a full complement of players (esp. goaltending).

As for the team not having the right philosophy we are going to have to agree to disagree, Ryan Johnson seems to have a good grasp of what is necessary 

Edited by BlastPast

12 minutes ago, BlastPast said:

I brought it up because it's relevant , the players they accumulated 4+ years ago have, in part,  given them the ability to keep guys in Syracuse longer which obviously helps that teams performance.  The Gagner issue seems to be one where they decided to do a solid for a veteran player and put him before the team, this can be debated but it seems to be the case. 

Not sure why the timing of playoffs is relevant as they made the playoffs during the Canucks season unless accomplishments while remotely fully staffed aren't eligible for consideration.

I'm not suggesting there isn't needs for the team but surely they would be less noticeable if they had a full complement of players (esp. goaltending).

As for the team not having the right philosophy we are going to have to agree to disagree, Ryan Johnson seems to have a good grasp of what is necessary 

I don't agree with this in the slightest.  Just look at the list of players that have moved from Syracuse to Tampa Bay in the past three years.

Forwards: Yanni Gourde, Anthony Cirelli, Adam Erne

Defense: Erik Cernak, Slater Koekkoek

And then if you go back three years before that there is another impressive list that will include Nikita Kucherov, Tylor Johnson, Ondrej Palat, Cedric Paquette and Andrej Vasilevsky.  I didn't even include Brayden Point because he only played in 9 games for the Crunch as a late season addition.

Who has Vancouver developed in the AHL over that same time period?  Tampa Bay continues to develop young talent in Syracuse while always emphasizing a winning environment.  One more example for you.....a couple of weeks ago Tampa Bay placed Cory Conacher on waivers to send him to the Crunch.  CoCo is a tremendous AHL player and locker room guy.  The same day that they placed him on waivers they signed him a one way $700K contract extension for next season.  A poison pill so to speak to discourage another team from claiming him off waivers because they would be on the hook for the one way contract next year as well.  This is how much the Lightning values veteran leadership and winning in the AHL.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

I don't agree with this in the slightest.  Just look at the list of players that have moved from Syracuse to Tampa Bay in the past three years.

Forwards: Yanni Gourde, Anthony Cirelli, Adam Erne

Defense: Erik Cernak, Slater Koekkoek

And then if you go back three years before that there is another impressive list that will include Nikita Kucherov, Tylor Johnson, Ondrej Palat, Cedric Paquette and Andrej Vasilevsky.  I didn't even include Brayden Point because he only played in 9 games for the Crunch as a late season addition.

Who has Vancouver developed in the AHL over that same time period?  Tampa Bay continues to develop young talent in Syracuse while always emphasizing a winning environment.  One more example for you.....a couple of weeks ago Tampa Bay placed Cory Conacher on waivers to send him to the Crunch.  CoCo is a tremendous AHL player and locker room guy.  The same day that they placed him on waivers they signed him a one way $700K contract extension for next season.  A poison pill so to speak to discourage another team from claiming him off waivers because they would be on the hook for the one way contract next year as well.  This is how much the Lightning values veteran leadership and winning in the AHL.

I'm talking about 08-13 , while Van. was in the playoffs/ SC finals/winning Pres. trophies TB were building a core of players that now occupy many of their minutes at the NHL level.  There has been a trickle down benefit that has helped them succeed at the AHL level along with obv. great development .  Not sure why TB doing things well is an indictment of Utica's philosophy.  Are there many  available AHL vets just waiting for a call from Ryan Johnson/Vancouver ?  Sincere question, you might know better than me.

Van. has defo. done less development in the AHL (but have done more in Europe/Ncaa) but that isn't the point I'm debating, we're talking about philosophy  and we are just going to have to disagree on that issue.  

Demko has been assigned to Utica and might get the start tomorrow. Big turning point of the season for Utica and our goalie depth in general with Nilsson close as well.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BlastPast said:

I'm talking about 08-13 , while Van. was in the playoffs/ SC finals/winning Pres. trophies TB were building a core of players that now occupy many of their minutes at the NHL level.  There has been a trickle down benefit that has helped them succeed at the AHL level along with obv. great development .  Not sure why TB doing things well is an indictment of Utica's philosophy.  Are there many  available AHL vets just waiting for a call from Ryan Johnson/Vancouver ?  Sincere question, you might know better than me.

Van. has defo. done less development in the AHL (but have done more in Europe/Ncaa) but that isn't the point I'm debating, we're talking about philosophy  and we are just going to have to disagree on that issue.  

What Vancouver did in 08-13 is not relevant to the Comets now. 

• Hydration 1

3 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

What Vancouver did in 08-13 is not relevant to the Comets now. 

Ugh, I agree but that wasn't the point.  TB picking high/well during that time certainly helped Syracuse as far as maintaining a "winning culture" historically among other things.  You can disagree with that too. Anyway, you're ducking the point and it's become boring.  Game over.

10 hours ago, BlastPast said:

Ugh, I agree but that wasn't the point.  TB picking high/well during that time certainly helped Syracuse as far as maintaining a "winning culture" historically among other things.  You can disagree with that too. Anyway, you're ducking the point and it's become boring.  Game over.

Well if the Canucks can not draft the players, then they should be going out and signing players to fill those rolls. 

Not having playmaking centers for their AHL team has nothing to do with drafting ..... It's complete incompetence pure and simple.... And it's been 3 seasons now.... Totally inexcusable.......

I dunno, yeah the team sux, but there are some positives.  I'm happy with both Olli and Zack's progression.  Then there's Demko.  Ok, there have also been some disappointments with Dahlen leading the pack, followed by Lind and Gadjo.  Did I expect them to be better this year?  Yeah, but maybe that was naivety and not giving the AHL the respect it deserves.  

If three of our top 6 prospects develop well down on the farm and become meaningful regulars on the big club, I'm ok with that.

There seems to be a lot of whining down on the farm . Fans are fickle  Comets need help I agree, so does Vancouver .JB could fix this with a couple of trades. But they have a plan so hang in there . It will all come out in the wash.

23 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

If they made tickets affordable in a way that they can't do at Rogers arena, they would sell plenty of tickets. Then when they call some one up, they wouldn't have to take cross continent flights and show up 3 time zones away.

It works in Toronto and Winnipeg, so I don't see the difference. Great joke about the turkey burger though. I'm not sure you're preparing those correctly.

I think you are missing context if you are implying the Moose and the Marlies are playing like the Comets have been for the last couple+ seasons. This market just does not respond well to failure - in a word they are self-entitled.

In Utica their hockey team is a big part of their community, you need to try to grip that - like a turkey burger.:P

4 hours ago, Connor comet said:

Well if the Canucks can not draft the players, then they should be going out and signing players to fill those rolls. 

Not having playmaking centers for their AHL team has nothing to do with drafting ..... It's complete incompetence pure and simple.... And it's been 3 seasons now.... Totally inexcusable.......

Actually, it has everything to do with Gaudette and Petey stepping into the NHL right away. 

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

Actually, it has everything to do with Gaudette and Petey stepping into the NHL right away. 

I agree... But most fans already assumed those two were going to be with the Canucks most or all of this season which makes the Canucks lack of obtaining centers for Utica even more bizarre........

Just. An extremely weird way to bring along all those young wingers in Utica..

We are now used to the incompetence from managment.... And apparently Canucks fans are too... 

Idk who they are going to dress for tonight's game, but it looks like 8-9 defenseman will have to dress....

• Upvote 1

With Demko back tonight and with Gaudette most likely returning soon I think it will turn around soon for Utica. The young guys like Dahlen, Juolevi, Macewan will keep improving and having Gaudette and Kero down the middle will stabilize the Center group. Heres hoping because they have passionate and amazing fans there.

• Like 1