The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018-19 Utica Comets Thread

JG had his best game as a comet a couple of weeks ago, then I think he got hurt. Has not played since. Really expected him to have increased playing time. Archie is gone, it's not like the comets couldn't use some size. 

But then again the team is on a roll so maybe it's the " if it's not broke , don't fix it" ....

12 minutes ago, Connor comet said:

it's not like the comets couldn't use some size. 

They have lots of size; trouble is that a number of them don't skate all that well and three are basically ECHL call ups. Players with size of note: MacEwen, 6'4 - 211; Gaunce, 6'2 - 214; both bonafide AHL or better then you have Arseneau 6'2 - 231, Woods 6'3 - 222 and newcomer Wyszomirki 6'4 - 230. The Canucks do not even have a roster that has that much size to it.

Edited by Kootenay Gold

..... the team is on a roll so

Agreed!  Mebbe even someone on here, anyone, can also give Kero a few positives while we're at it.  No hatty is ever easy, but Kero's grafted all year for this one.

After weathering Canucks' injury curse and often unhelpful roster moves, Comet's management appear to have risen to the challenge and built an impressive team anyway, and one that can compete.  So many reasons to be optimistic - enough of our young guys are playing and improving and Comets may yet prove to have found a decent young  netminder of their own into the bargain.  Now won't that be something if a Comets' signing eventually beat out Canucks' high draft picks!

I don't get all the negatives for Utica, they seem to be great passionate fans.  We get to watch their boys live on tv for once.  Against the smarmy Marlies no less, I can't wait!

• Upvote 1

Having watched most of the games live at the Aud or on AHL TV, I'd say Tanner Kero has been the most consistent Comet on the ice.  He's 100% effort all the time and does not take dumb offensive zone penalties.  His current stats GP:39, G:13, A:18, PTS:31 and PIM: 20.  Having played 72 NHL games from 2015 through 2018 I think he still exhibits the fire to get back up.

Edited by TomatoPieFan
  • Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

I know Palmu was a rookie, but what he just said above doesn't sound like there is much communication going on between the young players and head coach

That's hockey PP

Edited by stawns

2 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Petrus Palmu on SN 650 and leaving Utica to go back to Finland : "I didn't get a reason as to why I didn't get ice time in Utica. no one really talked to me. I tried to do my job when I played, I didn't get very big minutes which was tough for me." #CanucksNHLCanucks.png

Lack of communication is pretty bad in a developmental environment. I was really excited for the team in Utica this year but Lind, Gadj, and Petrus all struggling and not getting playing time. I know its a tough league and a huge jump but even considering that they are still performing terribly. Lind went from having a great year last and looking like a potential top 6 forward to looking like a possible bust. They seem more interested in playing vets than developing the kids.  

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Lack of communication is pretty bad in a developmental environment. I was really excited for the team in Utica this year but Lind, Gadj, and Petrus all struggling and not getting playing time. I know its a tough league and a huge jump but even considering that they are still performing terribly. Lind went from having a great year last and looking like a potential top 6 forward to looking like a possible bust. They seem more interested in playing vets than developing the kids.  

Obviously the coach has reached the "my job comes first" point. They all do sooner or later, usually the poorer they are the sooner it comes to that.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

I know Palmu was a rookie, but what he just said above doesn't sound like there is much communication going on between the young players and head coach

I've been saying here for some time now that the Comets are paid a lot of money by Aquilini to be our farm team.  Farm means to grow our prospects.  These kids should always play ahead of the vets, so we see what we have.  Plus, there should be clear communication about where the prospect is in his progression.  If the kid isn't good enough, or we don't see him as ever being good enough, then ship him out.  Palmu should have been given opportunity to play, and if he wasn't good enough then send him packing, but tell him why, and trade him.  

Just now, Alflives said:

I've been saying here for some time now that the Comets are paid a lot of money by Aquilini to be our farm team.  Farm means to grow our prospects.  These kids should always play ahead of the vets, so we see what we have.  Plus, there should be clear communication about where the prospect is in his progression.  If the kid isn't good enough, or we don't see him as ever being good enough, then ship him out.  Palmu should have been given opportunity to play, and if he wasn't good enough then send him packing, but tell him why, and trade him.  

FFS.:frantic:

• Haha 1

Ryan Johnson on Sportsnet 650:

"Any player that is drafted by the Canucks, or signed as a free agent that comes to development camp. Travis speaks directly to the group to lay a blueprint of the principles, values and expectations of players if they want to play in the NHL with the Canucks."

"Cull and his staff spend time on the ice talking about those principles and details to will make them better pros that give them a chance to play. We have Canucks past and present to speak to these guys."

"In the first year in Utica, as a group, they spend time in the video room to have a full understanding of what is expected, whether immediately or down the road, to be an NHLer. Everything that happens in VAN correlates to what happens in Utica so there is a common understanding."

"Every player’s process is unique -- it’s a process to get players to understand the details. We think very highly of them and we put in a lot of time/effort with our staff in this arduous process in getting them to understand that they will get out what they put into it."

"We’re not a team that is built to win a Calder Cup, we have players and a culture that we feel are great vehicles for our young players to understand how to be pros and what it takes day in/day out, not just to be NHL’ers but to be successful at the AHL Level."

"I want our team to be competitive but to play the right way that at the end of the day will make them better. If we just throw them to the wolves and let them make mistakes and we’ll just see what happens -- then that’s a disservice to them."

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Ryan Johnson on Sportsnet 650:

"Any player that is drafted by the Canucks, or signed as a free agent that comes to development camp. Travis speaks directly to the group to lay a blueprint of the principles, values and expectations of players if they want to play in the NHL with the Canucks."

"Cull and his staff spend time on the ice talking about those principles and details to will make them better pros that give them a chance to play. We have Canucks past and present to speak to these guys."

"In the first year in Utica, as a group, they spend time in the video room to have a full understanding of what is expected, whether immediately or down the road, to be an NHLer. Everything that happens in VAN correlates to what happens in Utica so there is a common understanding."

"Every player’s process is unique -- it’s a process to get players to understand the details. We think very highly of them and we put in a lot of time/effort with our staff in this arduous process in getting them to understand that they will get out what they put into it."

"We’re not a team that is built to win a Calder Cup, we have players and a culture that we feel are great vehicles for our young players to understand how to be pros and what it takes day in/day out, not just to be NHL’ers but to be successful at the AHL Level."

"I want our team to be competitive but to play the right way that at the end of the day will make them better. If we just throw them to the wolves and let them make mistakes and we’ll just see what happens -- then that’s a disservice to them."

Its going to be hard for them to learn if they are not playing and making mistakes, I think there has to be a middle ground.   

• Like 1

By Ben Birnell

Tuesday

Posted at 10:54 AM

The Utica Comets’ roster had more change Tuesday.

After a three-game stint with the team, rookie Adam Gaudette was recalled by the Vancouver Canucks, while another defenseman was added by the Comets.

Gaudette had a goal and two assists in the games with the output happening during a standout effort Saturday’s win over Cleveland.

The move comes with the Canucks recently dealing with injuries to Elias Pettersson and Josh Leivo. Gaudette has spent a majority of the season with the Canucks.

The move leaves the Comets with 14 healthy forwards ahead of Wednesday’s game against North Division rival Toronto.

Earlier in the day, the Comets announced the addition of Cliff Watson to a professional tryout contract.

The move gives the Comets -- who have had injury troubles and had their share of struggles among its blue line this season -- a total of eight healthy defensemen. Watson joins Colton Saucerman and Craig Wyszomirski as players on PTO contracts.

The 25-year-old Watson, who played six games with the Comets during the 2017-18 season, gives the team another defense-minded option. He had been a solid addition during a season in which the Comets had a slew of players on PTOs last season.

“We liked parts of his game when we had him last. So, when he became available we thought he could add something to our group,” Comets General Manager Ryan Johnson said.

The 6-foot-2, 190-pound Watson split time between the ECHL and AHL this season. He’s five goals and 10 points in 19 games with ECHL Kansas City this season. He’s also played nine AHL games with Stockton -- and most recently Hershey -- totaling three assists.

Watson will look to assist a Comets defense that has allowed 133 goals this season, which is third most in AHL.

The Comets, who have won straight games following a weekend sweep of Cleveland, are in third place in the North Division.

Utica continues a road trip Wednesday in Toronto.

• Upvote 1

So we have an AHL players dad on twitter talking about how he knows how each player is treated etc, oh boy....stick to watching your son and enjoying it. I sure hope his son is smarter than that to leak info to his dad if he goes to twitter to act like he knows the ins and outs of the Utica Comets.

6 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

So we have an AHL players dad on twitter talking about how he knows how each player is treated etc, oh boy....stick to watching your son and enjoying it. I sure hope his son is smarter than that to leak info to his dad if he goes to twitter to act like he knows the ins and outs of the Utica Comets.

Millions of people go on twitter and act like they know the ins and outs of whatever's on their minds.  That's what people do.

Everyone else in this city seems to want to get their opinion in on the situation, so why not a hockey dad who probably follows his son and his team religiously?

Edited by The Beagle had landed
  • Upvote 1