The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018-19 Utica Comets Thread

On 1/7/2019 at 9:06 PM, Kootenay Gold said:

They have lots of size; trouble is that a number of them don't skate all that well and three are basically ECHL call ups. Players with size of note: MacEwen, 6'4 - 211; Gaunce, 6'2 - 214; both bonafide AHL or better then you have Arseneau 6'2 - 231, Woods 6'3 - 222 and newcomer Wyszomirki 6'4 - 230. The Canucks do not even have a roster that has that much size to it.

Gaunce is not a physical player , can't even remember the last time Woods has played. Arsenau was injured for a period and the new guy has yet to suit up. 

That leaves Mac and Archie for most games......Archie now gone. So Mac and Vinny......

23 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Its going to be hard for them to learn if they are not playing and making mistakes, I think there has to be a middle ground.   

the point being that they won't throw them into the deep end of the pool if they don't demonstrate they can swim in practice, video room etc.

On 1/6/2019 at 6:14 PM, Alflives said:

Nope.  It’s our team, and it’s only focus should be developing future Canucks.  We dump millions into that club.  Play JG, and see what we got.  If he can’t muster up the gumption to fight his way through the league’s toughest players, then he’ll never be of use to us.  JG is either a fighter, who can play fourth line minutes, or he’s not a player.  Let’s find out.

they develop them the same way they help the young guys in Van.......by surrounding with solid veteran leadership and internal competition.  If they're not playing, there's a reason.......they haven't taken a spot form a guy who's already paid his dues.  Top to bottom, the message is "you need to win your spot in the lineup, no one is giftet anything".

1 minute ago, stawns said:

the point being that they won't throw them into the deep end of the pool if they don't demonstrate they can swim in practice, video room etc.

That's exactly how I learned to swim, being thrown in the deep end. As long as someone is there if you fail. 

• Upvote 1

they develop them the same way they help the young guys in Van.......by surrounding with solid veteran leadership and internal competition.  If they're not playing, there's a reason.......they haven't taken a spot form a guy who's already paid his dues.  Top to bottom, the message is "you need to win your spot in the lineup, no one is giftet anything".

With guys who are already physically mature, like Palmu and Gadjovic clearly are, we should see what we have in them.  If they can't cut it now at the AHL level, then trade them.  Baby faces like Lind and Dhalen, who clearly need to physically become men still, we develop those guys.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

With guys who are already physically mature, like Palmu and Gadjovic clearly are, we should see what we have in them.  If they can't cut it now at the AHL level, then trade them.  Baby faces like Lind and Dhalen, who clearly need to physically become men still, we develop those guys.  

I think Cull and Johnson have a better read on them than any of us.  Yout think first year pros either make an impact or you cut them loose?  I'm glad you're just a fan

• Upvote 3

I think Cull and Johnson have a better read on them than any of us.  Yout think first year pros either make an impact or you cut them loose?  I'm glad you're just a fan

Forwards who are physically mature, and not able to compete (according to Cull) for AHL ice time should definitely be cut loose.  How much better are they going to become, when physical development is not one of those things that will improve?  Keep the baby faces, and develop them.  

On 1/6/2019 at 5:45 PM, flickyoursedin said:

Yes ECHL has to be the right play here! He’s getting scratched more than he’s playing in the AHL right now!

he won't getting the coaching, on and off the ice, that he gets in Utica.  Playing time is obviously the goal, but clearly the org is looking at the bigger picture.  Gadj is a very young, first year pro player, a player who has been playing against kids for a long time.    

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Forwards who are physically mature, and not able to compete (according to Cull) for AHL ice time should definitely be cut loose.  How much better are they going to become, when physical development is not one of those things that will improve?  Keep the baby faces, and develop them.  

you're a nobody, a fan, just like the rest of us.  Cull and Johnson know more about hockey and player development than you could ever dream of.  Sit back and enjoy the process because it's pretty clear you don't really understand how things work at that level.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, stawns said:

you're a nobody, a fan, just like the rest of us.  Cull and Johnson know more about hockey and player development than you could ever dream of.  Sit back and enjoy the process because it's pretty clear you don't really understand how things work at that level.

I like my concept of dumping guys who are not going to get any better, while they still have some value.  LA got a second for Vey!  Maybe Gads brings us a third?  Palmu is worth nothing.  

Just now, Alflives said:

I like my concept of dumping guys who are not going to get any better, while they still have some value.  LA got a second for Vey!  Maybe Gads brings us a third?  Palmu is worth nothing.  

I took you off my ignore list because you make the odd good point, but I think you're going back on.  You're just too obtuse to have a decent discussion with

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

I took you off my ignore list because you make the odd good point, but I think you're going back on.  You're just too obtuse to have a decent discussion with

Not if I ignore you first.  :shock: (How does one do that?)   :towel:

Edited by Alflives
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

But they aren't though. The criticisms of Jonah is that he needs to get faster and Palmu needs to to work on his board play. Those are things they need to get better at physically. You don't just dump these guys when they're at their lowest value. If that's the only thing that you are looking to get out of prospects, then you should at least build them up first. Personally I'd rather build them so that there is a chance they could play for the Canucks. Both of those guys are 2017 draft picks so I'm not sure what the rush is.

1 minute ago, canuckledraggin said:

But they aren't though. The criticisms of Jonah is that he needs to get faster and Palmu needs to to work on his board play. Those are things they need to get better at physically. You don't just dump these guys when they're at their lowest value. If that's the only thing that you are looking to get out of prospects, then you should at least build them up first. Personally I'd rather build them so that there is a chance they could play for the Canucks. Both of those guys are 2017 draft picks so I'm not sure what the rush is.

They are physically mature though.  Both have been men for a couple years now.  Wasn't Gadjovic's nick name, dad or something?  I think these kinds of guys are dominant at the junior levels because they are men among boys.  However, when those boys become men they pass by the early developing guys.  That's why I'd like to see these early bloomers get AHL minutes (and lots of them) in roles they would play up here.  If they can't make down there now, they aren't going to get much stronger, so why keep them?

11 hours ago, The Beagle had landed said:

Millions of people go on twitter and act like they know the ins and outs of whatever's on their minds.  That's what people do.

Everyone else in this city seems to want to get their opinion in on the situation, so why not a hockey dad who probably follows his son and his team religiously?

Especially a dad who almost certainly has more actual knowledge of precisely how the team treats their young prospects than does anyone on this forum.

• Cheers 1